The discovery thread!
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #95,746 of 100,699
More reviews will come and this will be the ultimate hype train, you will see.......mark my words. I simply can’t get over them?
Didn't you say the same about the Reecho Dawn?

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #95,747 of 100,699
Like 5 months ago, I recommended someone wait to order a Timeless to see how the v2 shakes out, given its imminent release…

I hope they are doing well and found a better IEM or ordered the OG LOL.
IMG_6633.jpeg

Happy Tuesday, or whatever day it is in your life. Enjoying some electronic music in the office, refreshing my Dark Phoenix tracking cause it moved past customs… what are we listening to today?

Feb 20, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #95,748 of 100,699
Like 5 months ago, I recommended someone wait to order a Timeless to see how the v2 shakes out, given its imminent release…

I hope they are doing well and found a better IEM or ordered the OG LOL.

Happy Tuesday, or whatever day it is in your life. Enjoying some electronic music in the office, refreshing my Dark Phoenix tracking cause it moved past customs… what are we listening to today?
Rocking the MEST Mk1 today.
Finally got them dialed in with eartips.
The Tang Sancai regular in large was the ticket.
It was a major pain finding one that sealed my left ear correctly for some reason.
But they are every bit as awesome as their legendary status that precedes them.
Current album: "Hyper-Dimensional Expansion Beam" by The Comet Is Coming.

Qobuz Link

Apple Music Link

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #95,749 of 100,699
Rocking the MEST Mk1 today.
Finally got them dialed in with eartips.
The Tang Sancai regular in large was the ticket.
It was a major pain finding one that sealed my left ear correctly for some reason.
But they are every bit as awesome as their legendary status that precedes them.
Current album: "Hyper-Dimensional Expansion Beam" by The Comet Is Coming.

Qobuz Link

Apple Music Link

Sick, I’m glad that trade is working out for you! I also have left ear woes, I have a piece of cartilage that partially blocks my ear canal on my left side and it makes some IEMs… troublesome. I really need to go custom.

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #95,750 of 100,699
EPZ Q5 vs Simgot EA500 LM

1000012169.jpg

This was supposed to be just a quick comparison ... something in the realms of "bass is better on this, treble can get spicy on that, this one has a larger stage", but I got sucked in and went slightly deeper. So let's do this.

I put both on NiceHCK 4.4mm cables. Unsure of their names, sorry. I also used Divinus Velvet tips on both to level the playing field in that regard. I did the comparison using my FiiO M15S DAP on High gain, so ample power for both.

Tuning-wise their tonality is pretty similar. They also both sound very coherent. But that is about as far as similarities go, so graphs are not to be trusted too much. From there on a clear trend kept reoccurring.

I started with the song called Creep by Haley Reinhart to test a multitude of important parameters within the first minute. This allowed me to understand these two sets very quickly.

Where Q5's bass was choppy and grainy, LM has no trouble in dealing with the same passages with much more texture and almost palpable heft. Since this song has quite well pronounced and authoritative bass playing in the background, keeping it in check and ensuring its smoothness, precision and timbral accuracy without bloatedness and muddiness is quintessential. LM does that part significantly better. Bass is also more pronounced on LM, so it isn't at all a case of it being more tame and shy hence seemingly better controlled.

Going into the mids we have got a strong representative in the form of a piano. At first it might seem like Q5 provides better note weight, but after listening carefully I think it's just a case of sounding a bit more diffused which provides a sense of weight. In this tune, the piano can easily get lost in the mix once the rest get going, but here both sets do decently well to separate it. Imaging goes to LM. Her voice is a thing of beauty. It is so feminine while at the same time she has all the heavy artillery at her disposal whenever she fancies to let it rip. LM convinces me with a well-rounded vocal. I do prefer the placement and her vocal colour on the Q5, though, which might be mostly a case of less bass weight to take all the attention. Both managed to stay clear from sibilance.

Once trumpet and trombone join the party it gets crowded all of a sudden, so the main quality I'm looking for is separation on a rather small stage. I never really care too much about the actual dimensions of stage on IEMs, however their imaging and detail retrieval are the things I'm focusing on quite a lot more. There is no doubt that LM is superior in stage 3D-ness as well as the aforementioned imaging and detail retrieval. Following individual piano notes is not easy even on the greatest of sets, but these two do it solidly. Another thing that has stood out to me was the trueness of timbre which was far better on LM when it comes to brass instrumentation. Q5 sounded a bit plasticky and scratchy in direct AB - I haven't noticed that before.

Afterwards, I felt like trying something a bit more upbeat to gauge the enjoyment factor.

That involved songs like Flex by Pitch black, God is in the soundwaves by Armin van Burren, Shamanic tales by Astrix and The magician by Eelke Kleijn.

It is songs like these that prove the limitations of lower priced sets. They often struggle keeping up with pace especially at higher volume, where they get a bit tiresome and somewhat uncomfortable. That said, LM's bass shows no signs of stopping to pound even at volumes when the higher frequencies get too much for my ears. Both get screechy and aggressive, so honestly, these are not for loud listeners (I'm talking 95+ dB). I also could not describe any of the two having a musically enchanting character.

They both look and feel easily thrice the price. Excuse my horrible pics lol.

1000012170.jpg

1000012171.jpg

1000012172.jpg

Ultimately, the difference between these two sets is very much in tune with the difference in their prices. They do both show weaknesses once you ask for too much, but LM is the better overall package.

1000012129.jpg

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #95,751 of 100,699
Listening to the newly acquired Aur Audio Ascension and Sony ZX707 Walkman.

SMOOVE.

1708446705871.png

Feb 20, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #95,752 of 100,699
Hernan Cattaneo's always fantastic weekly Resident mix:

A love of melodic deep/progressive house is this old rock-and-roller's little musical secret, especially while working. :)

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #95,753 of 100,699
Seen praise for the Ziigaat Doscinco and today Jay’s Audio uploaded their thoughts onto YouTube. If I hadn’t already ordered the TSMR-X, I’d have definitely ordered the Ziigaat. The genres it suits are exactly what I listen to and it’s a decent amount cheaper than the TSMR-X.

PENON haven’t actually dispatched my order yet so I’m half tempted to just cancel and go with the Ziigaat, and not have to worry about needing to spend £300 on a cable to take the TSMR sibilance 😛

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #95,754 of 100,699
Seen praise for the Ziigaat Doscinco and today Jay’s Audio uploaded their thoughts onto YouTube. If I hadn’t already ordered the TSMR-X, I’d have definitely ordered the Ziigaat. The genres it suits are exactly what I listen to and it’s a decent amount cheaper than the TSMR-X.

PENON haven’t actually dispatched my order yet so I’m half tempted to just cancel and go with the Ziigaat, and not have to worry about needing to spend £300 on a cable to take the TSMR sibilance 😛
That'd be a mistake, IMHO.
X is really, really good.
The cable I'm using was $30 on sale (Nicehck Hi Cotton).
Sounds great!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #95,756 of 100,699
Have you heard the Doscinco by any chance?
I have not. I am definitely interested in them though.
The X has a unique signature that sounds different than anything in my collection.
Punches above it's weight, IMO.

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #95,757 of 100,699
With the Delci, Kefine wants to storm into the $100 IEM market, this is a much better IEM than the Simgot EA500LM.
Kefine Delci has very good bass response. Very good dynamics, instruments are clean and well defined with very good resolution and details. Vocals are high quality too. Nice texture and throaty airy notes. Very good treble extension too. Doesn't have a lot of upper treble but man this is $100 IEM, what else do you want?
Stage is well expanded too. Very good air between instruments. Aces the $100 tuning in my opinion. Lovely.
20240220_231149.jpg

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #95,758 of 100,699
With the Delci, Kefine wants to storm into the $100 IEM market, this is a much better IEM than the Simgot EA500LM.
Kefine Delci has very good bass response. Very good dynamics, instruments are clean and well defined with very good resolution and details. Vocals are high quality too. Nice texture and throaty airy notes. Very good treble extension too. Doesn't have a lot of upper treble but man this is $100 IEM, what else do you want?
Stage is well expanded too. Very good air between instruments. Aces the $100 tuning in my opinion. Lovely.
20240220_231149.jpg
Interesting. I won't stir trouble regarding sonic performance vs the LM until/if I hear these, but this looks like a 25€ IEM, while LM is possibly one of the nicest looking pairs at any price IMO.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #95,759 of 100,699

I am completely satisfied with the stock cable.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #95,760 of 100,699
I guess I’m one of the few not booking a seat on the EA500 LM hype train. I tested it extensively last week, along with the Letshuoer Galileo.

No question the individual technicalities and detail of the EA500 LM are terrific, especially at the sub-$100 price point. Truly impressive. But those qualities and detail just don’t feel cohesive to me. They feel like individual parts not well blended.

I’m just not crazy about the EA500 LM’s tonality. It’s just a bit too V-shaped for me, as I found the vocals to be recessed a bit in the mids. Maybe my ears and brain were biased by A/B testing with the Galileo, which features prominent vocals that border on shouty on some tracks.

The EA500 LM signature is fun but exaggerated. Everything is in your face. These are not subtle IEMs. Energetic as hell, if that’s your thing. To quote the great Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap, “This one goes to 11.” :)

Either way, I just didn’t get lost in the music with the EA500 LM like I expected. I was more annoyed by sonic qualities I didn’t like than entranced by the entire musical package. I put tone and timbre ahead of technicalities, and frankly, if the Galileo had a bit more bass and treble extension, I would have chosen it over the EA500 LM. Suits my tastes better.

But … both were returned. Still searching for Goldilocks around $100-150. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back