The discovery thread!
Feb 6, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #94,846 of 100,485
I wish a review like this would make the front page
There is a GK10s review which has made it to the front page. 😜

Here's a review of the GeekWold GK10S: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ge...dynamic-driver-iem.26980/reviews#review-32926

TLDR: NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL; 2/5 stars.
Thanks for this honest review, my friend.

Maybe it's an old man thing cuz I am seeing the same thing develop, as I usually do, during burn in of DD sets. I'm with you on this one, but maybe we just have patience.

Using his logic, just start listening after 100 and you're probably fine letting your brain burn with it for the next 100.

And finally, borrowing your phrase, I'm an old man, what the hell do I know 😂
There are so many iems I have come across in recent times where a good burn-in a must. I would never reject or put a brief impression of an iem without giving them a proper time (burn-in). I remember, Final B3 - a very sweet iem, has a very very high burn-in time. Quattro too needs a very good number of hours. Every iem opens up after some initial hours of usage. For some it may be 20hrs, for some it may be 200hrs.

A Honkong based iem maker once mentioned to me that their iems require 1000 hrs of burn-in to open up properly. Now that’s a joke.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #94,847 of 100,485
A Honkong based iem maker once mentioned to me that their iems require 1000 hrs of burn-in to open up properly. Now that’s a joke.
Hahaa! Just dunk the iem in the wine barrel room and release it after 21 years. Burnt in with wood and wine.

And call it Xinomavro!

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #94,848 of 100,485
Hahaa! Just dunk the iem in the wine barrel room and release it after 21 years. Burnt in with wood and wine.

And call it Xinomavro!

Don’t give manufacturers idea.

Last time on aliexpress there was an “oil soaked copper” cable.

I ended up buying three of them. And then I realised I don’t like them.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #94,849 of 100,485
that being said, brain burn is a real thing and it might need few days to settle.
Brain burn is not a thing if you don't listen to it for 100 hrs. The brain burn crowd must be listening fairly constantly, The burn in crowd, not so much, maybe a song they have heard a hundred times every multiple of 48 hours.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #94,850 of 100,485
Great work, mate! Understandable and detailed review with assertiveness as usual. I’m surprised that they send you the EA1000 after your EM6L :dt880smile: It seems that your detailed approach to review resonates with many, both on the producers and consumers side. The growth of your review blog has been breathtaking to see. Hats off to you!

Still, I can’t stop poking fun at you again with this one: “you love a Harman-ish IEM :dt880smile:

Looking forward for your review of the quattro. Hopefully you can do that highly anticipated shoot out with trifecta.

Edit: if you can send me your EM6L, I can measure to see whether your unit is a lemon.
Thank you for your kind words, I try my best to please. :ksc75smile:

The EM6L isn't a bad IEM if you care for Harman tonality - I personally just don't like that kind of sound, and it's very hard to positively review a product that doesn't agree with your own taste even if you suspect others may feel differently.

The EA1000s diverge enough from both the EM6Ls & Oxygens that I struggle to identify them as a Harman-tuned IEMs. They do have a bit more upper midrange which I frequently associate with Harman IEMs, it's really a question of where you choose to draw the line - how far does something need to deviate from the Harman curve before it's no longer classified as Harman? Bottom line is I find them so impressive I'll happily overlook their tonality not matching up precisely with my preferences.

Not sure if I'll have the chance to compare the Quattros with a set of Trifectas yet, but am trying to make it happen as I know a lot of people are keen for that comparison!

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #94,853 of 100,485
IMR Acoustics are the worse - REQUIRES 300/500hrs+ BURN IN TIME

Feb 7, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #94,854 of 100,485
@baskingshark Hi! I remember your review of Penon Fan2. Had got it after reading yours and @ToneDeafMonk YouTube review. (this was before I joined this forum).
I found the Fan2's mids absolutely intoxicating - i think you used that term as well in the review iirc. What I want to know is why is it so? Is it something in the curve/tuning, or the drivers or something else? I would like to know so that to keep that in mind in any future iem purchases. Want that mids. The treble, especially extension and airiness and details it brings out isn't too great there on Fan2s but those mids-intoxication is great. While the soundstage isn't as wide, the depth is pretty good too. But yeah those mids: what makes them intoxicating?
thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #94,855 of 100,485
IMR Acoustics are the worse - REQUIRES 300/500hrs+ BURN IN TIME
How long do I need to have a crappy earphone in my ear before I can say I like it? See there is the issue. If it's not good meh, no way I want to torture myself for 2 weeks+ hoping it gets better with cables, tips or scources. I mean if it sounds like the graph, and you are getting a good seal. 3 songs max lol. Life is too short.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #94,856 of 100,485
Now, domq422 vs @Leonarfd about Meteor, fight! :dt880smile:
Reached out to Symphonium if they want to send over a pair, I'll redo it full style review on the Meteor if so, after reading Dom (excellent review 👌) I want go give it another go. Another ting I do want to perhaps buy the Crimson this spring, need to save some cash first if so.

Either the unit of Meteor I was testing from my friend @Erkil was a lemon, or we talk about seal problems fu__ing up.

No IEM I have heard other than Meteor been so veiled, it was like listening to music playing in another room. Tbh wouldn't make sense to make it like this, only explanation is that something is wrong.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #94,857 of 100,485
Reached out to @Symphonium Ken if they want to send over a pair, I'll redo it full style review on the Meteor if so, after reading Dom (excellent review 👌) I want go give it another go. Another ting I do want to perhaps buy the Crimson this spring, need to save some cash first if so.

Either the unit of Meteor I was testing from my friend @Erkil was a lemon, or we talk about seal problems fu__ing up.

No IEM I have heard other than Meteor been so veiled, it was like listening to music playing in another room. Tbh wouldn't make sense to make it like this, only explanation is that something is wrong.
That 4k dip of meteor can be deal breaker for some people, even if the seal is right, IMHO. I’m also thinking about letting my Meteor go to put the fund towards the crimson. I have a soft spot for the helios, so I expect great things.

Would love to see a tour of the Triton though. The graph looks lovely but the IEM seems over shadowed by helios.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #94,858 of 100,485
Reached out to @Symphonium Ken if they want to send over a pair, I'll redo it full style review on the Meteor if so, after reading Dom (excellent review 👌) I want go give it another go. Another ting I do want to perhaps buy the Crimson this spring, need to save some cash first if so.

Crimson is pretty damn amazing. I got to demo it and it's just lovely. It's one of those that is really special. I wish Meteor was crimison at 600.
That 4k dip of meteor can be deal breaker for some people, even if the seal is right, IMHO. I’m also thinking about letting my Meteor go to put the fund towards the crimson. I have a soft spot for the helios, so I expect great things.

Would love to see a tour of the Triton though. The graph looks lovely but the IEM seems over shadowed by helios.
I like the punch of Meteor and resolution, but its' weird the lack of trebble comes across as muted for me and it is hard for me. I like aspects of that set, but ultimately I think it has some issues. I know some people that just absolutly love it, HRTF is a beast eh?

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #94,859 of 100,485
Ouch. Is there any recommendable IEM from this brand? Their configs look so interesting.
I have the GK100 and like it quite a lot. It is a brighter tuned set. The detail retrieval is excellent but the note weight can be a bit thin.
Still, it's a unique IEM in my collection and one I do enjoy.
I also bought the GK200 during the 11.11 sale through AE. I enjoyed what I heard but it quickly developed severe channel imbalance, so I returned them.
The seller agreed to honor the sale price after the return/refund but I didn't want to risk getting another lemon so didn't repurchase.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #94,860 of 100,485
I think you're right. I'd probably just save up and try the Oriveti OD200 anyways. They seem more interesting to me personally.
As they should

Users who are viewing this thread

Back