The discovery thread!
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #93,946 of 106,715
Thanks to @Vannak for the headsup the the Tanchijm Origin (AKA Oxygen 2) is already listed on Taobao/chinese portals.

Seems to retail at 1580 Yuan, which is roughly $222 USD. Generally though, we will expect a mark up from this price if it is sold outside mainland China, to factor in logistics/transport etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135840535288493/posts/685731873632687
Given how the oxygen are my 2nd favourite iems of all time and currently my daily runners (Kato connecting socket broke sadly) I am going to be all over this one! Hopefully better male vocals this time and I really hope they have better performing drivers compared to the falcon ultra aswell. Dunus upcoming successor to the vernus seems like a killer option for me aswell (they told me it's in the making) but God knows how long that would take for a full release. I'd say in any case you can never go wrong on a oxygen 2.0. It's one of those iems that would probably get sold out in pre orders. 😂

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #93,947 of 106,715
Origin looks like not a scooped out lower mids and mid bass tuning should add some slam and nice weight to Male vocals and that Pina will balance it out with a nice rise . I like this kind of tuning.
+5 dB pinna over the bass? Bro you’re absolutely slapping a filter on to tame that much pinna.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #93,948 of 106,715
I have been using the Symphonium Crimson for a while now and in the process of finalizing my review.

To add some context to things: I have never been a fan of all-BA IEMs for my personal use. The primary reason being the tame bass response (even when boosted noticeably), and the treble sounding somewhat lean.

The Crimson subverts all those "expectations" and for once, I have zero complaints about the bass response of an all-BA IEM. Granted, my tuning preferences would still require a bit more mid-bass but that's more of a "preference" thing than a comment on performance.

The upper-treble extension is quite phenomenal as well. The treble has a distinct weight to it that you can notice in crash cymbals and for me, it does the trick. I find the Crimson far more engaging and a more "visceral" listen than the previous all-BA benchmark for me, aka qdc Anole VX.

graph.png

For now, the Crimson are definitely one of the best IEMs you can buy under $2000. I have to emphasize the "source" requirements again (definitely need a powerful one to drive these IEMs to their full potential) but I'd expect a TOTL IEM to be paired with a good source anyway, so there is that.

2X2A3543.jpg

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #93,949 of 106,715
Klanar: Promising release from Kefine

Klanar is one of the good releases from late 2023. I love these iems for the musicality they offer. The founder, Collin Yang, is such a sweet guy. He has some good plans for the future. He is always in for a good healthy discussion.

These iems, with some discount, retail at $89, which hits the level on the price-to-performance ratio really high. They have a nice build and fit quite easily. I can easily recommend these for long listens. The cable is surprisingly good enough; one does not need to change cables on these. I paired these iems with Azla SednaEarfit Light eartips, which I think fit best and bring out the best in these iems. As is the case with all planars, Klanar shines quite well with decent power. Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Earmen Angel are good enough to drive these iems.

I like the overall tuning on these iems. The bass hits very nicely, the mids are sweet, and the treble is smooth and non-fatiguing. Of all the planar iems that I have tried in recent times - S15, MP145 and Klanar, I find the bass on these more satisfactory, which may be because of the speed, impact, and decent weight that the bass gets. MP145 is more of a relaxed listen, while these are more energetic. The timbre is also quite good—not actually planar timbre at all—one of the most musical iems in the 100 USD range.

Areas of improvement:

The resolution on these is just average. I need a cleaner sound. Also, with the other planars, as MP145, we get quite a huge soundstage. Klanar falls behind there. The mids are a bit recessed too. Them vocals are not quite upfront and lack tonal weight. There is thinness in the upper mids too.

Kefine is here for a long game. It's quite a welcoming first release for a new company. I am glad that they kept budget in mind and delivered a very affordable iem. I had some discussions with Collin regarding their future plans. They are aware of what needs to improve on the Klanar, and perhaps they will come up with a second planar iem. They have some other releases lined up too. It's good that a company discusses things with their customers, takes feedback, and gives a comforting nod.

k1.JPG

k2.JPG

IMG_9169.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #93,950 of 106,715
+5 dB pinna over the bass? Bro you’re absolutely slapping a filter on to tame that much pinna.
Oh probably if the nozzles don't tame that bad boy 500 mesh filter is happening real quick !

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #93,951 of 106,715
Haven't used my W1's in awhile, randomly decided to put them on my Sza and what a sound... They look like they are starting to rip though :/

digging in my audio drawer got me thinking, we need to start a service to supply the tips we don't use to people in need. If the world ends, hopefully the new currency is IEM tips cause I have so many that don't fit, i would be RICH.

1706368602274.png

Anyway, this is a very good album. Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

Jan 27, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #93,952 of 106,715
Klanar: Promising release from Kefine

Klanar is one of the good releases from late 2023. I love these iems for the musicality they offer. The founder, Collin Yang, is such a sweet guy. He has some good plans for the future. He is always in for a good healthy discussion.

These iems, with some discount, retail at $89, which hits the level on the price-to-performance ratio really high. They have a nice build and fit quite easily. I can easily recommend these for long listens. The cable is surprisingly good enough; one does not need to change cables on these. I paired these iems with Azla SednaEarfit Light eartips, which I think fit best and bring out the best in these iems. As is the case with all planars, Klanar shines quite well with decent power. Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Earmen Angel are good enough to drive these iems.

I like the overall tuning on these iems. The bass hits very nicely, the mids are sweet, and the treble is smooth and non-fatiguing. Of all the planar iems that I have tried in recent times - S15, MP145 and Klanar, I find the bass on these more satisfactory, which may be because of the speed, impact, and decent weight that the bass gets. MP145 is more of a relaxed listen, while these are more energetic. The timbre is also quite good—not actually planar timbre at all—one of the most musical iems in the 100 USD range.

Areas of improvement:

The resolution on these is just average. I need a cleaner sound. Also, with the other planars, as MP145, we get quite a huge soundstage. Klanar falls behind there. The mids are a bit recessed too. Them vocals are not quite upfront and lack tonal weight. There is thinness in the upper mids too.

Kefine is here for a long game. It's quite a welcoming first release for a new company. I am glad that they kept budget in mind and delivered a very affordable iem. I had some discussions with Collin regarding their future plans. They are aware of what needs to improve on the Klanar, and perhaps they will come up with a second planar iem. They have some other releases lined up too. It's good that a company discusses things with their customers, takes feedback, and gives a comforting nod.

k1.JPG

k2.JPG
I guess Kefine Klanar is similar to TinHiFi P1 Max in technicalities. It's good for me that I didn't buy it, because it's no sense to have similar IEMs
So far best planar IEM I'd ever heard is TinHiFi P1, despite they're very hungry to power. But if they get the power (at least 1000 mW and more is better) the sound become very decent, much much higher level, then its price.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #93,953 of 106,715
Simgot EA1000 + JVC spiral dot OG tips + iBasso DX170 = Simply SUBLIME. Puts most everything I own or have heard at most price ranges ($5.00-$1,000) to shame!

Listening to Cecilie Strange - Blue album and the stand out is the transparency, space between instruments, timbre, and details. You can hear the skin of the percussion, the brush strokes, the click of the metal rims, the vibration of the drums and the breathes of the sax. Now there's IEM's that can pick this up, but not at the clarity. The volume of the details, even at low hearing volume. This is what separates the EA1000 from the Aure or OD200 or IE800 or RE800. That and the soundstage is engulfing and immersive.

But this synergy is with the DX170. It's not as expansive, transparent, or detailed on the Sony's or the Fiio. These play best with the DX170 and surprisingly enough, the Sansa Fuze.

If you own the EA1000, do yourself a favor and pick this album up, and here's the song Hymn To Papa that was such an aural experience for me.

Cecilie Strange I love, love and love again...

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #93,954 of 106,715
The Yuki is a very clean sounding dongle. Big soundstage and quite pinpoint imaging too.

Built like a tank with a glass case to see the internals. Has independent volume controls too.

Aune.jpg

Still putting it thru some testing, and will report back after A/B testing against other dongle competitors.

I totally don't need this, but I have to admit I'm creeping on it a bit. It is dang sexy.
8e7aeb36c5b1c19419eeed6a0ac95660.jpg

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #93,955 of 106,715
The Yuki is a very clean sounding dongle. Big soundstage and quite pinpoint imaging too.

Built like a tank with a glass case to see the internals. Has independent volume controls too.

Aune.jpg

Still putting it thru some testing, and will report back after A/B testing against other dongle competitors.
How is the volume button placement? It looked very inconvenient in the photos, curious to hear if it is an issue.

Jan 27, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #93,956 of 106,715

One Dot Audio Amarantine

So today my dear friend @nihalsharma sent me the One Dot Audio Amarantine, their flagship priced at $399.99, for an audition and quick impression. Here are my impressions below:​

IMG20240127162505.jpg

The build is nice. Quite small shell but well-built. The shell colour is very bland though, the faceplate adds some bling to it. Nozzle is pretty long and of medium size. Fits well but does not exactly disappear inside the ears.

The cable is really nice. Quite supple, and gauge seemed to be on a higher side, not cheap generic thin wires. The braid is nicely done. Overall it feels quite premium. Should have had the option for balanced plug as well at that price.

I tested them with my Tempotec V6, single-end, high gain.

Sound -
They have a mostly neutral sound to my ears. Subbass roll-off is evident. Midbass has a slight bump to keep things interesting but not enough to make it fun. Midrange has above-average clarity with decent technicalities. Treble has adequate energy and extends well. The tonality is distinctly warm. Soundstage has good width and depth, but average height. Notes are not thick but are noticeably smooth. Separation is quite good.

However, in the current scenario, I do not believe their $400 price tag is justified by their performance.

Take for example the 634EARS Miroak-II. Priced at around $300. They provide a much livelier presentation with fuller bass and mid, crispier notes with sharper edges. Notes are perhaps a little bit smaller in size in comparison. Soundstage expansion is about the same in width and depth and slightly less in height. The tonality is less warm. Overall they sound more pleasant to my ears.

And quite honestly, the Simgot EA1000 leave them in the dust. The EA1000 sound bigger, better, less warm, cleaner, more detailed, and more extended. They have a more balanced sound profile with a warm-neutral tonality. The midrange is noticeably more transparent, and more vibrant, with bigger notes and higher resolution. The subbass is much more naturally extended and pleasant. The midbass is slightly bolder than the Amarantine but less than the Miroak-II. The treble has a very nice brilliance and clean presentation with very nice extension - which often sounds similar or better than the Amarantine. The timbre is far more natural. The layering is quite similarly well done. The soundstage is distinctly taller, with similar width and height, creating a more three-dimensional headspace. And to think they cost only $219.99!

Please note that the Amarantine are not poorly tuned. They have a definite target tuning and it was pulled off quite well. However, their performance is much below their price tag, considering the other noticeably big hitters in the present days.

IMG20240127162616.jpg

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #93,957 of 106,715
I totally don't need this, but I have to admit I'm creeping on it a bit. It is dang sexy.
Did you put that image together yourself? It really made me laugh. Absolutely brilliant.

It’s so fitting and accurate for about 95% of us on here, every time we see someone post about something new or there’s a new product announcement.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #93,958 of 106,715
However, in the current scenario, I do not believe their $400 price tag is justified by their performance.
Thanks for your such informative and emotional review.
I'm not sure that I will meet these IEMs anywhere But for other people and for fastidiousness: as I know the price corelates with resolution, so what about resolution?

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #93,959 of 106,715
I'm not sure that I will meet these IEMs anywhere But for other people and for fastidiousness: as I know the price corelates with resolution, so what about resolution?
I can take that question as I have spent a decent amount of time with them. These iems are musical, nicely tuned, well built, and everything about them is good but not the price. The bass is very good for an all BA set. If they had a price tag of 250-260 USD, it would be a great set for that price. 400 USD is bit high. At 400, you demand for a lot more. It does not have a 400 USD resolution.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #93,960 of 106,715
Resolution is about average. Not outstanding, but not bad either, sort of middle ground. Largely due to the smooth notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back