The discovery thread!
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #91,816 of 106,248
Question: Your current top three IEMs?

Mine currently are: 7th Acoustics Supernova, Xenns Mangird Tea 2, and Moondrop S8.

Tangzu Heyday and EST 112 are honorable mentions.
Among things I own: U12t, Gaea, Andromeda 2020

Honourable mentions: AFUL P8 & Magic One, NiceHck F1 Pro

Across all IEMs I have tried: MEST MkIII, Z1R, U12t or Trio

Edit:
  • Re: Z1R: if your ears can fit these, getting one is no brainer. It sounds cavernous like listening to a pair of earbuds. I’m looking for a good discount myself.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #91,817 of 106,248
The 200$-300$ bracket is getting stronger day by day, currently, I have three IEMs to test in this category, the Simgot EA1000, the BQEYZ Wind, and the Oriveti OD200. And it's super hard to choose between them man. I mean, I can pick any of these up and I won't have any complaints at all. Today, gonna share some impressions for the EA1000 as the unit was sent to me graciously by my dear friend @nihalsharma . I like it so much that I am wondering if I can get one as well or not lol.

First of all, I try not to talk about the build quality of IEM in initial impressions, but the Simgot EA1000 is special. Simgot deserves praise for its outstanding craftsmanship. The pair looks and feels absolutely premium. The complete metallic shell and that stunning face cover :L3000: :L3000:

About sound, the EA1000 join hands with Oriveti OD200 and BQEYZ Wind as my reference set for 200$ price bracket. The pair sounds absolutely phenomenal. Strong bass, rich midrange(especially vocals), and nicely executed treble. I find the set to sound neutral with a very little hint of warmth with strong bass response, and full-bodied vocals(both male and female vocals are stunning on the EA1000), and the instruments sound well-separated. I have had the pair for about 4-5 days(and sadly returned today to Nihal), having spent close to 10 hours during some sessions here and there, I am simply sold on the set.

Some things that I did not like about the EA1000:-
>Man the shells are absolutely gorgeous but delicate as well. Not in terms of durability but in terms of scratches and fingerprints. Need to take good care of the same.
>Why does a set of such potential come with a standard 3.5mm cable only? atleast balanced 4.4mm should have been there.
>The biggest con is that you won't be able to put the set down once you pick it up lol.

Some short comparison with OD200:-
>OD200, an absolutely lovely single DD and a similarly priced IEM to the EA1000. EA1000 has a better body throughout the range, and OD200 sounds a little leaner in comparison.
>Bass of EA1000 is more slamming, OD200 is more about precision and accuracy.
>Vocals on both the sounds are lovely, on the EA1000 they are a little warmer while the OD200 has a more neutral presentation.
>Treble on the OD200 is livlier and has more energy, the EA1000 is safer in that regard. Not that the OD200 is offensive by any means, it's a taste that complements the EA1000 well(And that's why I want the EA1000 now as well lol).

Will share a complete review later and will also post my comparison with BQEYZ Wind in that one(Wind is also a gem at its price). Oh god so much confusion, how much shall we buy lol.
Good stuff. What nozzle are you using with OD200 for this comparison?

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #91,818 of 106,248
I already expressed my initial disappointment with BQEYZ Wind, but I am glad I didn't send it to classifieds right away as it turned into a real gem. What I did was get rid of stock tips and cable, and give it a burning-in period. And now I am enjoying the exciting detailed sound they produce.

Juzear 41T is still my praised IEM as it nails every single track in my very varied library both genre and quality wise. The Wind did some tracks better right from the box, but because of some extra spice in the upper mid range it was fatiguing with some other tracks (e.g. live recordings with unhinged sibilants).

Now though, with that issue much improved due to tips/cable/burning I realized that the Wind is technically a better IEM - it has better sound separation/resolution/details. I think that maybe this has to do with the bone conduction driver separating the bass boost from the rest of the spectrum taken care by the DD?

Also the semi open design gives some extra benefits in more open scene and longer sessions without fatigue. For me it was also useful in gaming as it lets you hear your own voice better and, thus, control its volume in the heat of an online battle.

The Wind is an exciting and detailed IEM, amazing for most genres. I'd say only metal music I still slightly prefer on the 41T, with the rest the Wind takes the W.
PXL_20231227_105914081.jpg
Good to hear that Wind improves with burn in. Got mine for Xmas and also currently have mixed feelings about it. Hopefully putting more hours on them will get them to where I am happy.

Currently for me the biggest issue is the imaging. Whilst they have good width, at times the centre of stage can sound very congested with poor seperation, so it is like a wall of noise coming at you. On less busy tracks they can sound excellent.

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #91,819 of 106,248
Dec 27, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #91,820 of 106,248
Good to hear that Wind improves with burn in. Got mine for Xmas and also currently have mixed feelings about it. Hopefully putting more hours on them will get them to where I am happy.

Currently for me the biggest issue is the imaging. Whilst they have good width, at times the centre of stage can sound very congested with poor seperation, so it is like a wall of noise coming at you. On less busy tracks they can sound excellent.
My unit of Wind is approximately 100 hours burned in. I would say imaging and separation are not the strongest part of its sound. A rich musical tone, and a strong bass are the strongest part as per me. The pair definitely presents a rich, dynamic tone and a really lovely timbre.

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #91,821 of 106,248
~~~FLOATING~~~

This album is literally giving me goose bumps.
And I have a huge smile on my face...

Bodysync, Ryan Hemsworth, Giraffage - Radio Active
1227231908b~2.jpg

QOBUZ > Hiby R6 Pro II > DTE900

Between this and the Quattro, 2023 is ending on a resoundingly strong note.

Hoping 2024 brings much musical enjoyment to everyone!

:notes:

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #91,822 of 106,248

Mine currently are: 7th Acoustics Supernova, Xenns Mangird Tea 2, and Moondrop S8.

My top three IEMs: Diva, Crimson, and Twilight.

Honorable mention goes to the Sony WF-1000XM4 as it's my main set when I'm on-the-go.

Dec 27, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #91,823 of 106,248

My current 3 most used are:
Airpods Pro (1st gen)
Tangzu Wu Zetian Heyday Edition
Yanyin Canon II

But the most used by a long shot are the airpods, but that's the nature of working from home.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #91,824 of 106,248
Howdy folks, hope that you are enjoying some time off this holiday season. Let's have a small survey of our own:

1. After all the "discovery" this year, what gear actually form your setup?
  2. If you can change your setup, how would you change it?
  3. Imaging you are an uber successful audio influencer, and a company approached you for "collaboration." How would that IEM be?

After all the "discovery" this year, what gear actually form your setup?
  • Desktop Setup: PC (Tidal) > Gustard R26 R2R DAC > Violectric HPA V222 Amp
    • Headphones: Focal Clear MG Pro (Open-back) and ZMF Atrium Closed (Closed-back). I'm limiting myself to one of each (open/closed).
  • Portable Setup: Phone (Tidal) > FiiO BTR7 (LDAC BT). The Cayin RU7 hasn't gotten much use lately.
    • IEMs: Mainly the Diva (magical vocals), Crimson (resolving all-arounder), and Twilight (time2relax). The rest are kind of in rotation. Sometimes I'll give them a listen when I see someone post something interesting about them on head-fi.

If you can change your setup, how would you change it?
  • Upgrade my portable setup to something that has better battery life than the BTR7. I have the Tempotec V3 incoming so we'll see how that sways my opinion of DAPs.
  • Probably reduce the number of IEMs in my collection. I thoroughly enjoy every IEM that I currently have, but they're all just not getting enough ear time to justify the cost of what sometimes feels like hoarding. (my preciouseses)

Imagine you are an uber successful audio influencer, and a company approached you for "collaboration." How would that IEM be?
  • Pretty much combine my favorites: the Diva, Crimson, and Twilight.
    • Bass quality of the Diva on the max bass setting, but with a DD driver to move more air. Don't get me wrong, the Diva's BA bass is damn good and feels like a DD, but I'd think it'd be next level earquake if it had a DD.
    • Vocals a bit forward and ethereal like the Diva.
    • Grand soundstage of the Twilight with the imaging and revealing details of the Crimson.
    • Make it vented and open-back sounding like the Twilight and we have a winner.
    • ..oh yeah, you can also customize your own faceplates!

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #91,825 of 106,248
After all the "discovery" this year, what gear actually form your setup?
  • Desktop Setup: PC (Tidal) > Gustard R26 R2R DAC > Violectric HPA V222 Amp
    • Headphones: Focal Clear MG Pro (Open-back) and ZMF Atrium Closed (Closed-back). I'm limiting myself to one of each (open/closed).
  • Portable Setup: Phone (Tidal) > FiiO BTR7 (LDAC BT). The Cayin RU7 hasn't gotten much use lately.
    • IEMs: Mainly the Diva (magical vocals), Crimson (resolving all-arounder), and Twilight (time2relax). The rest are kind of in rotation. Sometimes I'll give them a listen when I see someone post something interesting about them on head-fi.

If you can change your setup, how would you change it?
  • Upgrade my portable setup to something that has better battery life than the BTR7. I have the Tempotec V3 incoming so we'll see how that sways my opinion of DAPs.
  • Probably reduce the number of IEMs in my collection. I thoroughly enjoy every IEM that I currently have, but they're all just not getting enough ear time to justify the cost of what sometimes feels like hoarding. (my preciouseses)

Imagine you are an uber successful audio influencer, and a company approached you for "collaboration." How would that IEM be?
  • Pretty much combine my favorites: the Diva, Crimson, and Twilight.
    • Bass quality of the Diva on the max bass setting, but with a DD driver to move more air. Don't get me wrong, the Diva's BA bass is damn good and feels like a DD, but I'd think it'd be next level earquake if it had a DD.
    • Vocals a bit forward and ethereal like the Diva.
    • Grand soundstage of the Twilight with the imaging and revealing details of the Crimson.
    • Make it vented and open-back sounding like the Twilight and we have a winner.
    • ..oh yeah, you can also customize your own faceplates!
Some discoverers should get together and make groupbuy or kickstarter to get an IEM artisan to build these dream IEMs. All of them sound like winners.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #91,826 of 106,248
Some discoverers should get together and make groupbuy or kickstarter to get an IEM artisan to build these dream IEMs. All of them sound like winners.
We need you and the others here with hifi clout to lead the charge.

1703733580493.png

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #91,827 of 106,248
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #91,828 of 106,248
We need you and the others here with hifi clout to lead the charge.

1703733580493.png
I imagine such IEM is going to cost an arm and a leg, regardless. We don’t have the economy of scale anyway, and the IEM ideas seem cutting edge.

Maybe I’ll try to get an artisan to make me one IEM next year if AFUL cantor turns out to be a stinker.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #91,829 of 106,248
I imagine such IEM is going to cost an arm and a leg, regardless. We don’t have the economy of scale anyway, and the IEM ideas seem cutting edge.

Maybe I’ll try to get an artisan to make me one IEM next year if AFUL cantor turns out to be a stinker.
That would be pretty cool to get your own custom tuned IEM.

Do you know if there have been any updates on the AFUL Cantor? Last I heard, the prototype was 14BA, but that was months ago. I wonder if they've been bringing it to the audio shows in Asia.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #91,830 of 106,248

Top 3:

Empire Ears Bravado MK2
- My favorites by far of the current batch, though I pretty much always EQ them. The stock tuning will only interest the most hardcore of bass heads, but if you pull the low end down about 5 db and raise the mids to straighten out the L they prove to be impressive technical performers that can still bring the Weapon 9 DD to bare when appropriate. I've never heard bass like this from an IEM before, didn't know it was possible, and it makes me dreadfully curious about EE's higher end offerings. Chances are I'll be selling off most of my collection soon as they just don't get enough use, but I'll be keeping these... unless I end up with the Odin, Legend Evo, or something.

Campfire Audio Vega 2020 - They're just fun, the white ceramic shells with their bright steel nozzles are unique and quite pretty, fit is good, and they're fairly detailed (with EQ, at least) for a single DD. Wish they were 2 pin, but CFA is married to MMXC for some reason. These mostly live connected to the Fiio UTWS3 and are my "serious Bluetooth" portable option.

AAW x The Custom Art Project 4+2
- If the shells were a little more comfortable I might not see a point keeping anything else, even the Bravado. The isobaric dual DDs very nearly match the EE Weapon 9 for slam while beating them out on low end detail in some cases, and TCA's excellent BA tuning give them near electrostat level detail. That combined with tuning filters that actually do something make them extremely versatile, I just wish they didn't hurt my ears when used long term.

Runners-up:

The Custom Art FIBAE 4 - very dark without EQ, especially for an all-BA set, but the most comfortable I've ever used by far. Extremely easy to drive, and TCA's impedance matching tech means they work with just about anything. I use these for conference calls at work a fair bit.

Audiosense AQ7 (2020/unrevised) - kind of odd stock tuning, but they EQ well and have amazing bass and detail given their rock bottom pricing. The shells are huge, so fit can be an issue, but the hate they get is completely undeserved. Tempted to get the revised Insight Pro version for a comparison, but I've got too many sets as it is.

Tanchjim Oxygen - the epitome of the inoffensive but capable Harman curve tune, beautiful and extremely well built. Fit could be better and is very tip dependent, likely due to the weight of the all metal shells. I gave these to an ex I parted with on good terms and miss them to this day... Just not quite enough to buy another pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back