The discovery thread!
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #91,801 of 103,951
Wow you have the 7th Acoustics Supernova? It is a very hard set to obtain!

My top 3 are:
1) Sony IER M9
2) Sony XBA-N3
3) Moondrop Variations
I got one from avvexchange, Nova isn't that hard to find on the 2nd hand market but they do sell out very fast.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get a custom 2nd pair next year with a resin shell I saw on 7th Acoustic's FB page which looks a lot like the S8's shell.

Yes, it's that good. Tone is unlike anything I've heard in my journey, the Nova is what I'd call a true allrounder unlike the Variations which probably sounds too a bit too lean like the S8.

This was my mega Christmas lot :L3000:

20231227_114437.jpg

All good IEMs at least, I'm not the biggest IE600 or Meteor fan but both definitely have their audience: IE600 for v-shape lovers, Meteor is a great pick for bassheads.

S8 does wonders with female vocals and midrange instruments like piano albeit the bass can sound anemic on some recordings due to a lack of mid bass.

Supernova plays nearly anything well and is very forgiving with crappy recordings, this is the IEM to get under $1000 if you are not sure what to get IMO.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #91,802 of 103,951
Nothing like your IEM carrying case breaking in the middle of vacation, hundreds of miles from home!

:triportsad:

IMG_6174.jpeg
Hair tie to the rescue

Question: Your current top three IEMs?

Mine currently are: 7th Acoustics Supernova, Xenns Mangird Tea 2, and Moondrop S8.

Tangzu Heyday and EST 112 are honorable mentions.
Neo 5
MP145
QuietSea

I loved my Tea 2 and Hype 2, but alas… the QC gods hate me.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #91,803 of 103,951

Mine currently are: 7th Acoustics Supernova, Xenns Mangird Tea 2, and Moondrop S8.

Simgot EA1000
Penon Fan 2
KZ ASX

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #91,805 of 103,951
Top 3 right now that I own:
1) 634ears Miroak-II
2) AüR Audio Ascension
3) AüR Audio Neon Pro
(Sound Rhyme DTE900 fights with NP for 3 spot, next day it would maybe have been different)
Ascension is leading over NP and DTE900 for you already? Oh man…

edit - that 634ears set looks awesome as well wow.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #91,806 of 103,951

Of those I own, not necessarily those I’ve tried - of which I’d place NGaudio Erebus at the top! Otherwise…

1. Nostalgia Audio Camelot
  2. Softears Turii Ti
  3. Kinera Loki

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #91,808 of 103,951

Current faves in no particular order:
Penon Quattro
Sound Rhyme DTE900
EPZ 530.
This list could definitely change based on mood.

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #91,810 of 103,951
The 200$-300$ bracket is getting stronger day by day, currently, I have three IEMs to test in this category, the Simgot EA1000, the BQEYZ Wind, and the Oriveti OD200. And it's super hard to choose between them man. I mean, I can pick any of these up and I won't have any complaints at all. Today, gonna share some impressions for the EA1000 as the unit was sent to me graciously by my dear friend @nihalsharma . I like it so much that I am wondering if I can get one as well or not lol.

First of all, I try not to talk about the build quality of IEM in initial impressions, but the Simgot EA1000 is special. Simgot deserves praise for its outstanding craftsmanship. The pair looks and feels absolutely premium. The complete metallic shell and that stunning face cover :L3000: :L3000:
1.jpg

About sound, the EA1000 join hands with Oriveti OD200 and BQEYZ Wind as my reference set for 200$ price bracket. The pair sounds absolutely phenomenal. Strong bass, rich midrange(especially vocals), and nicely executed treble. I find the set to sound neutral with a very little hint of warmth with strong bass response, and full-bodied vocals(both male and female vocals are stunning on the EA1000), and the instruments sound well-separated. I have had the pair for about 4-5 days(and sadly returned today to Nihal), having spent close to 10 hours during some sessions here and there, I am simply sold on the set.

Some things that I did not like about the EA1000:-
>Man the shells are absolutely gorgeous but delicate as well. Not in terms of durability but in terms of scratches and fingerprints. Need to take good care of the same.
>Why does a set of such potential come with a standard 3.5mm cable only? atleast balanced 4.4mm should have been there.
>The biggest con is that you won't be able to put the set down once you pick it up lol.
2.jpg

Some short comparison with OD200:-
>OD200, an absolutely lovely single DD and a similarly priced IEM to the EA1000. EA1000 has a better body throughout the range, and OD200 sounds a little leaner in comparison.
>Bass of EA1000 is more slamming, OD200 is more about precision and accuracy.
>Vocals on both the sounds are lovely, on the EA1000 they are a little warmer while the OD200 has a more neutral presentation.
>Treble on the OD200 is livlier and has more energy, the EA1000 is safer in that regard. Not that the OD200 is offensive by any means, it's a taste that complements the EA1000 well(And that's why I want the EA1000 now as well lol).

Will share a complete review later and will also post my comparison with BQEYZ Wind in that one(Wind is also a gem at its price). Oh god so much confusion, how much shall we buy lol.
3.jpg

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #91,811 of 103,951

Softears Twilight, Spirit Torino Twin Pulse, Oriveti Oh700VB.

Honorable mentions:-
OD200, EA1000, S15, BQEYZ Wind

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #91,812 of 103,951
I already expressed my initial disappointment with BQEYZ Wind, but I am glad I didn't send it to classifieds right away as it turned into a real gem. What I did was get rid of stock tips and cable, and give it a burning-in period. And now I am enjoying the exciting detailed sound they produce.

Juzear 41T is still my praised IEM as it nails every single track in my very varied library both genre and quality wise. The Wind did some tracks better right from the box, but because of some extra spice in the upper mid range it was fatiguing with some other tracks (e.g. live recordings with unhinged sibilants).

Now though, with that issue much improved due to tips/cable/burning I realized that the Wind is technically a better IEM - it has better sound separation/resolution/details. I think that maybe this has to do with the bone conduction driver separating the bass boost from the rest of the spectrum taken care by the DD?

Also the semi open design gives some extra benefits in more open scene and longer sessions without fatigue. For me it was also useful in gaming as it lets you hear your own voice better and, thus, control its volume in the heat of an online battle.

The Wind is an exciting and detailed IEM, amazing for most genres. I'd say only metal music I still slightly prefer on the 41T, with the rest the Wind takes the W.
PXL_20231227_105914081.jpg

Dec 27, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #91,813 of 103,951
Sony Z1R is endgame for bassheads (in terms of quality and quantity). But the fit is quite iffy for some consumers, so I would strongly recommend you go audition a set first. I went to a local shop 3 times, with almost 10 different sets of eartips altogehter and still couldn't get a proper fit with it. A pity, but no point having heavenly sound if you can't tolerate the fit for more than a few minutes. Oh and the mids are quite depressed, so not a pair for midrange lovers.

Anole VX is super resolving (may be a bit fatiguing on some tuning switches). Has tuning switches for versatility though it has BA timbre. Probably a set for technical junkies that wanna hear all the micro-details.
I've considered getting a VX vs the S8 I got but it's expensive and Precog said the treble sounded off.

S8 is detailed enough for technical junkies IMO but without the need of having to fork your kidney.

Z1R has been considered many times but I ultimately decline due to all the horror stories I've heard about how crap the fit is.

IE600 and Meteor have good bass but I reckon neither holds a candle vs the Z1R.

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #91,815 of 103,951

Aur Audio Aures
Tangzu Wu Zetian
Sennheiser IE600

Let's see where the incoming OD200 land? They arrive tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back