The discovery thread!
Dec 19, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #91,441 of 100,464
The V3 has the same quoted power output as V6 (610mw - 4.4mm) so good chance this is going to be a cracking little player.
I own the V6 and really enjoy it. Unlikely to get the V3 as no real usage case for it (RS2 covers me for smaller DAP).

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #91,442 of 100,464
Recently, there were a lot of talks/analogies of beer over champagne, Porche vs other cars, etc.

One must consider the entire audio chain as a whole, and in the recording - source - cable - transducers - tips - ear - brain, the weakest technical link by far are those limited two-channel recordings, the legacy of 1950-ies.
Think about of it - all the richness of the orchestral instruments, the ambience of the acoustic space is just painfully reduced to so limited two-point recordings with a physically limited treble.
With these severe limitations - it is not at all RX5 vs. 911 analogy, not even Mazda 2 vs. 911 but just a golf cart cheerfully enabled by all the glory of "virtual rendering" to make it feel kind of as close to Porsche, as it can physically be (do picture the golf cart and Porsche together to fully grasp this analogy in as much limitations, as it sounds). So it feels really sad seeing community members delusioning themselves in distinguishing "the stage" and investing in "benchmarks" like those U12t, as a part of this limited virtual golf cart simulation...

One then may ask - why not to make better recordings with all the avaiable multichannel transducers reproducing multiple channels for the much better stage, resolution dynamics, etc?

The painful realistic answer to this question is - if the "audiophile" community is so much stuck/invested in simulations, and especially able to "hear cables" as the most vivid self-delusuons that form an "integral part" of the "simulations" - who would the heck invest in better recordings, if it is just possitble to simply sell $1000+ cables (with some modest cut to reviwers of free samples hyping the heck of it and more) and package different virtual simulations of the golf cart with $5k+ IEMs pretending to feel like Porshe in the virtual reality of ever better "simulations", - the vivid case in point is "legedary" Trifecta....

When it comes to listening, we have only two ears so I am not sure about the benefit of multichannel transducers especially when it comes to using headphones/earphones.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #91,443 of 100,464
AND LET ME WARN YOU. THE SIGNIFICANT OTHER WILL SURELY KNOW YOU HAVE A NEW IEM CAUSE OF THE GLOW IN THE DARK GIMMICK. THERE IS NO HIDING IT!!! ACTHUNG!!!!
I showed my SO that pic of the glowing Final E tips and it’s maybe the one time she has said how cool that it was and I believed her regarding my IEM hobby lmao… your mileage may vary on this one?!

I love the Final E on my Neo 5, the bass is sublime. I want the glowie model for sure and Project M looks sweet as well. Eagerly awaiting more on that.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #91,444 of 100,464
Tempotec support have confirmed that the V3 has Hiby’s MSEB sound shaping. It is also reassuring that the Tempotec store is answering questions, in case buyers need to reach them about issues.

Those things, combined with the great review of the V6 at audiophile-heaven.com (supposedly sounding the same as the V3), mean that I am buying the V3. Still a gamble, but one I am now happy making. Good luck to everyone else who is buying it, we find out in about 2 weeks whether it was the right choice :)
I've been going back and forth on making this purchase for the past few days. I don't have a DAP and this would be a nice cheapie to start with. My only concern is with the software and OS, but even if it sucks, it can still use it to stream Tidal from my phone via LDAC.
  • Longer battery life than my FiiO BTR7
  • Has a lineout function like my Cayin RU7
  • More power output than both my portable DAC/amps
  • Same DAC as the Questyle CMA18 Portable I've been eyeing
Ok, I might've just convinced myself to purchase one. This place is a bad influence.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #91,445 of 100,464
Took one for the team and got a Sineaptic SE-1. Man this is a wild Bluetooth/wired set dual array ribbon drivers for $200 was to crazy for me to pass up 😋

Also on the note of high end DD iems I remember Shozy made a crazy iem called the black hole that was openback in design with a crazy back port tune system to reduce unwanted resonance and sold for around $800 at it's release but that was years ago. 🤷

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #91,446 of 100,464
I've been going back and forth on making this purchase for the past few days. I don't have a DAP and this would be a nice cheapie to start with. My only concern is with the software and OS, but even if it sucks, it can still use it to stream Tidal from my phone via LDAC.
  • Longer battery life than my FiiO BTR7
  • Has a lineout function like my Cayin RU7
  • More power output than both my portable DAC/amps
  • Same DAC as the Questyle CMA18 Portable I've been eyeing
Ok, I might've just convinced myself to purchase one. This place is a bad influence.
My experience with the software on similar devices is that it is fine for playing locally stored music but painful for streaming services! Best solution I found was exploring on my phone then adding to music service favourites to access from the dap, however would potentially have to reboot the dap to get the favourites list to refresh.

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #91,447 of 100,464
Speaking of playback any recommendations for a solid music app for Android. Streaming isn't a priority for me but USBplayer pro has been crashing very often on my device and I wanna try something more stable

Dec 19, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #91,448 of 100,464
My experience with the software on similar devices is that it is fine for playing locally stored music but painful for streaming services! Best solution I found was exploring on my phone then adding to music service favourites to access from the dap, however would potentially have to reboot the dap to get the favourites list to refresh.
Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be. The "early bird" price went up to $199 so I'll pass.

Edit: It went up to $199 because my attempted payment errored out. I was able to get it for $137 after all.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #91,449 of 100,464
Greetings discovery thread community.

I've had a lot of fun gathering survey data over at the Watercooler community over the years and in the interests of year-end fun I thought it would be interesting and cool to do a survey here to get a sense of this community's favorites and a general picture of the tastes. So if anyone is interested please take the following poll:

https://forms.gle/S1N2oQgYYgwC4iAs9

The only required question is the first one and I have it set up so you don't need to use your email-- or even be logged in-- to take it. If I get some buy in from the members here I'll put the time in to collating the data before we close out 2023.

Cheers,

Jeff.
That was fun, thank you for bringing us in on this!

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #91,450 of 100,464
Also on the note of high end DD iems I remember Shozy made a crazy iem called the black hole that was openback in design with a crazy back port tune system to reduce unwanted resonance and sold for around $800 at it's release but that was years ago. 🤷
i saw this recently, i LOVE the design... steep price tho, i wonder how it competes today
1703044916379.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #91,451 of 100,464
Speaking of playback any recommendations for a solid music app for Android. Streaming isn't a priority for me but USBplayer pro has been crashing very often on my device and I wanna try something more stable
I don't have a ton of experience, but I've heard good stuff about Neutron player.
I downloaded the evaluation copy and thought it sounded great.
I ultimately went with UAPP, but this seemed like a solid option.

Attachments

• Capture+_2023-12-19-23-01-09.png
    Capture+_2023-12-19-23-01-09.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #91,452 of 100,464

The Hiby Music App is totally free of charge, and allows USB bit perfect rate mode so as to utilize higher bit rate files. Quite user friendly interface too.

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #91,453 of 100,464
i saw this recently, i LOVE the design... steep price tho, i wonder how it competes today
1703044916379.jpeg
Apparently there's a mini

And the big boy version apparently is very technically competent

Attachments

• shozy-black-hole-mini-dynamic-hifi-in-ear-monitor-headphones-hifigo-475452_700x700.jpg
    shozy-black-hole-mini-dynamic-hifi-in-ear-monitor-headphones-hifigo-475452_700x700.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #91,454 of 100,464
How did I forget about the dunu Luna clocking in at $1500 at debut but from what I've read it was highly resolving and had a modular cable too
product-image-1236708413.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #91,455 of 100,464
Can you compare these to other iems in all price ranges?
I did not bother to A/B it to other IEMs. Auditioned them in a CanJam, immediately figured it would be good for V shaped fun IEM, and bought them with the 20% CanJam discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back