The discovery thread!
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #90,122 of 103,947
Would it sound good for listening heavy metal? Lol
48B36777-3C99-43F2-82BF-5BE78298DC42.jpeg

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #90,124 of 103,947
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #90,125 of 103,947
Hey there! Im not sure its allowed to be asked here, but I'm thinking what IEM to get next.

I ordered an e1da 9038s3g so I should be set to use whatever low impedance, low sensitivity, hard to drive IEM I want.

Is there anything that is bang for buck coming from the fact that it cant be driven by "sane" equipment?

Anything from cheap crap like the KZ PR2 to maybe $1000?

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #90,126 of 103,947
Hey there! Im not sure its allowed to be asked here, but I'm thinking what IEM to get next.

I ordered an e1da 9038s3g so I should be set to use whatever low impedance, low sensitivity, hard to drive IEM I want.

Is there anything that is bang for buck coming from the fact that it cant be driven by "sane" equipment?

Anything from cheap crap like the KZ PR2 to maybe $1000?

Would be good if you could advise on the following, so that the community can better fine tune their suggestions:

1) What are your preferred music genres?

2) Are your treble head, treble sensitive, basshead etc?

3) Is isolation required? Ie are you using it in a noisy place or for travel?

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #90,129 of 103,947
Would be good if you could advise on the following, so that the community can better fine tune their suggestions:

1) What are your preferred music genres?

2) Are your treble head, treble sensitive, basshead etc?

3) Is isolation required? Ie are you using it in a noisy place or for travel?
First of all let me state that I would like to try out new things (as I am still low on experience), but:

1. I like psytrance, hardstyle but also listen to instrumental music.

2. Well treble can sometimes feel too much for me but I like to hear it and have it detailed related to lets say "psyfarts" in certain psychedelic music. Also, I like bass. I have a DT900 pro x, kind of like that one as both are well defined on it. Dont have rolloffs unless I EQ them in. I would love to have good subbass (like hype2/monarch/variations?)

Also would love soundstage, one that makes me feel like Im not nerfed by IEM limitations in comparsion to headphones. Even for gaming.

3. Isolation is not a huge issue. I use it in public so no audeze isines I guess.

What I have used: Akoustyx S6, Tin Hifi P1 Max, KZ ZS3, and DT900 Pro X, KSC75, Superlux 668b

Since the Akoustyx S6 is very good at detail, I would probably not want to have a downgrade in that regard. I miss DD bass. I kind of expect one that is as tight as planar without the planar specific issues.

Concentrating more on ones that are not really planars now.

Also not afraid of EQ. I could EQ all day.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #90,130 of 103,947
First of all let me state that I would like to try out new things (as I am still low on experience), but:

1. I like psytrance, hardstyle but also listen to instrumental music.

2. Well treble can sometimes feel too much for me but I like to hear it and have it detailed related to lets say "psyfarts" in certain psychedelic music. Also, I like bass. I have a DT900 pro x, kind of like that one as both are well defined on it. Dont have rolloffs unless I EQ them in. I would love to have good subbass (like hype2/monarch/variations?)

Also would love soundstage, one that makes me feel like Im not nerfed by IEM limitations in comparsion to headphones. Even for gaming.

3. Isolation is not a huge issue. I use it in public so no audeze isines I guess.

What I have used: Akoustyx S6, Tin Hifi P1 Max, KZ ZS3, and DT900 Pro X, KSC75, Superlux 668b

Since the Akoustyx S6 is very good at detail, I would probably not want to have a downgrade in that regard. I miss DD bass. I kind of expect one that is as tight as planar without the planar specific issues.

Concentrating more on ones that are not really planars now.

Also not afraid of EQ. I could EQ all day.

The Hype 2 is an option for nice soundstage and a sub-bass focused tuning. Though the first few batches seemed to have QC issues with the shells, but it seems later versions seem to be fixed based on forum and social media reports.

Variations is also an option but is pricier. Upper mids are a tinge shouty on this though.

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #90,131 of 103,947
The Hype 2 is an option for nice soundstage and a sub-bass focused tuning. Though the first few batches seemed to have QC issues with the shells, but it seems later versions seem to be fixed based on forum and social media reports.

Variations is also an option but is pricier. Upper mids are a tinge shouty on this though.
Thinking on that one, but treble/detail is reported to be below average for the price?

Nov 30, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #90,132 of 103,947

Do you own the Softears RSV or the Studio 4? The reason for the question is that I read that the two of them are similar in signature. I am curious to know if they are from anyone here.

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #90,133 of 103,947
Do you own the Softears RSV or the Studio 4? The reason for the question is that I read that the two of them are similar in signature. I am curious to know if they are from anyone here.

I've not tried the RSV but I auditioned the Studio 4 for about 20 min previously. So that was my previous impressions of the balanced sound (with BA timbre), good clarity but probably more for studio/audio work cause it may be a tinge boring for normal music listening.

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #90,135 of 103,947
I've not tried the RSV but I auditioned the Studio 4 for about 20 min previously. So that was my previous impressions of the balanced sound (with BA timbre), good clarity but probably more for studio/audio work cause it may be a tinge boring for normal music listening.
After getting a liver transplant and getting through other complications (a month removed from a wound hernia surgery), I am having fun with this hobby. Music has always been a big part of how I relax and cope with the day-to-day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back