The discovery thread!
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #89,821 of 100,494
Superchonk (@captainmuffins) has something to say about it here:

That DC-Elite looks absolutely next level. The titanium chassis alone is pretty sick. It's a little on the pricey side, unfortunately, but it does look pretty sick.

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #89,822 of 100,494
This probably has to be one of the best single DD IEMs I have heard to date, the Softears Twilight. My double 11 purchase has been my absolute favourite for the past 2-3 days, I took my time just to share some initial impressions because, from the very first session I had with these, I was impressed from that very moment.
1.jpg

First of all, these look bigger in images and these are quite compact and fit me well. Secondly, the sound, it's quite balanced with a hint of added warmth. The bass is crisp, quite refined, fast and snappy as well. It has a decent amount of slam, I can't call these to lack slam completely, but I can't call them groundbreaking as well because i compared directly with Nightjar Singularity which has more slam and weight to the bass. Midrange is the charming thing here, it's absolutely lovely, clear, crisp, and well-defined. Vocals sound so good, I am someone who craves good vocals and I have found peace here with the Twilight. Treble is very well done, quite smooth and decently extended. Not as extended as the Sony IER Z1R, but has a good enough response which is enjoyable and smooth. No sibilance, no harshness, no shoutiness, a smooth and lovely sounding set the Softears Twilight is.

Another key point where I loved the Twilight for the past few days, is the imaging and separation, these are solid performers with excellent imaging. Instrument placement, the left-right stereo channel separation is very well executed.

Some cons so far, a little more slam in the bass, and a little more extension in the treble wouldn't have hurt anybody :)
2.jpg

Some small comparisons:-
Twilight vs Nightjar Singularity:-

These both sound quite good, both are absolutely amazing in their own way. Just some small thoughts of mine during the past few days:-
Singularity.jpg

>Bass slam of the Singularity is hella good, its fun, its grooving, while the Twilight sounds crispier in that regard it doesn't have so much of slam.
>Instruments, Vocals, and everything on the Singularity feels richer and denser, they have a sense of extra added weight to them. Twilight's notes are slightly leaner in comparison.
>Vocals on both the sets are slightly on the forward point, I love both of them, but Singularity's vocals have a bit of heft to them.
>Treble on the Twilight feels a little more defined than the Singularity, I would say Singularity's denser note cause it to lack some details in the treble region.
>Twilight's bass response is faster and crispier than the Singularity.

Twilight vs D's Audio Fire Phoenix:-
Fire Phoenix is a flagship-level single DD from a boutique brand in Hongkong. This one retails for 1300$, I found this one to be airier and clearer than the Singularity when i compared these two last week. Here are my thoughts on Twilight.
fire phoenix.jpg

>Mid-bass on the Fire Phoenix is a little strong and a little boomy at times, Twilight maintains better control in that regard.
>Fire Phoenix has slightly denser notes in the midrange, not as dense or hefty as the Singularity, but definitely slightly heftier than the Twilight.
>Twilight has better coherency between the three frequencies, they sound more balanced on the Twilight.
>Fire Phoenix has more energy to the sound, Twilight on the other hand feels a little relaxed.
>The soundstage of the Fire Phoenix is massively airy, Twilight is a little immersive in that regard.

I have also compared it against Beyerdynamic Xelento Gen 2, but this post is getting long lol, will post that comparison later on.

Final Words:-
Well, That's about it. Twilight is a lovely IEM, it's an IEM which finds a good place in my list of recommendations, not just as a single DD but as an IEM as a whole as well. It's honestly a little difficult to find cons on this one. I am actually happy I went ahead with these for my solo Double 11 purchase :)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #89,823 of 100,494
The store is definitely fishy....how can they sell this IEM (https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005006267373842.html) for 418€, when I bought it a few months ago in Idlefish directly from the maker for 699 RMB (about 90€)?!...(it's clearly the same IEM as the photos are the same as the ones on Idlefish...same applies for other IEMs listed on that store)...
Thanks for the heads up.

BTW is the IEM you bought any good?

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #89,824 of 100,494
Nov 27, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #89,825 of 100,494
This probably has to be one of the best single DD IEMs I have heard to date, the Softears Twilight. My double 11 purchase has been my absolute favourite for the past 2-3 days, I took my time just to share some initial impressions because, from the very first session I had with these, I was impressed from that very moment.
1.jpg
First of all, these look bigger in images and these are quite compact and fit me well. Secondly, the sound, it's quite balanced with a hint of added warmth. The bass is crisp, quite refined, fast and snappy as well. It has a decent amount of slam, I can't call these to lack slam completely, but I can't call them groundbreaking as well because i compared directly with Nightjar Singularity which has more slam and weight to the bass. Midrange is the charming thing here, it's absolutely lovely, clear, crisp, and well-defined. Vocals sound so good, I am someone who craves good vocals and I have found peace here with the Twilight. Treble is very well done, quite smooth and decently extended. Not as extended as the Sony IER Z1R, but has a good enough response which is enjoyable and smooth. No sibilance, no harshness, no shoutiness, a smooth and lovely sounding set the Softears Twilight is.

Another key point where I loved the Twilight for the past few days, is the imaging and separation, these are solid performers with excellent imaging. Instrument placement, the left-right stereo channel separation is very well executed.

Some cons so far, a little more slam in the bass, and a little more extension in the treble wouldn't have hurt anybody :)
2.jpg

These both sound quite good, both are absolutely amazing in their own way. Just some small thoughts of mine during the past few days:-
Singularity.jpg
>Bass slam of the Singularity is hella good, its fun, its grooving, while the Twilight sounds crispier in that regard it doesn't have so much of slam.
>Instruments, Vocals, and everything on the Singularity feels richer and denser, they have a sense of extra added weight to them. Twilight's notes are slightly leaner in comparison.
>Vocals on both the sets are slightly on the forward point, I love both of them, but Singularity's vocals have a bit of heft to them.
>Treble on the Twilight feels a little more defined than the Singularity, I would say Singularity's denser note cause it to lack some details in the treble region.

Fire Phoenix is a flagship-level single DD from a boutique brand in Hongkong. This one retails for 1300$, I found this one to be airier and clearer than the Singularity when i compared these two last week. Here are my thoughts on Twilight.
fire phoenix.jpg
>Mid-bass on the Fire Phoenix is a little strong and a little boomy at times, Twilight maintains better control in that regard.
>Fire Phoenix has slightly denser notes in the midrange, not as dense or hefty as the Singularity, but definitely slightly heftier than the Twilight.
>Twilight has better coherency between the three frequencies, they sound more balanced on the Twilight.
>The soundstage of the Fire Phoenix is massive, Twilight is a little immersive in that regard.

I have also compared it against Beyerdynamic Xelento Gen 2, but this post is getting long lol, will post that comparison later on.

Well, That's about it. Twilight is a lovely IEM, it's an IEM which finds a good place in my list of recommendations, not just as a single DD but as an IEM as a whole as well. It's honestly a little difficult to find cons on this one. I am actually happy I went ahead with these for my solo Double 11 purchase :)
Interesting iem, gives the vibe of some old generation of TWS! how is the overall comfort? also if you would give a bit more insights on subbass and depth pls

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #89,826 of 100,494
1.jpg

2.jpg

Singularity.jpg

fire phoenix.jpg
>The soundstage of the Fire Phoenix is massive, Twilight is a little immersive in that regard.

The Twilight is on my bucket list. That will be one I save for.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #89,827 of 100,494
Woke up this morning with a crazy idea to sell every IEM but my Neo 5 to assist fund a Scarlet Mini and be done IEM shopping until one of those breaks...

Someone tell me if this is a good or bad idea :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #89,828 of 100,494
Capture+_2023-11-27-12-31-39.png

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #89,829 of 100,494
Woke up this morning with a crazy idea to sell every IEM but my Neo 5 to assist fund a Scarlet Mini and be done IEM shopping until one of those breaks...

I would say that is on you, but I found an iem I purchased a while back and started enjoying it last night. I actually forgot I had it. It was the Final B3. Listened to it last night and enjoyed with my phone. You might miss some of your iems. But I am a hoarder lol.

Nov 27, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #89,830 of 100,494

Right :thumbsup: you won't miss the thrill of chase at all! Nope! Join the long list of I'm not buying another earphone until...then never make it "until". :)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #89,831 of 100,494
I would say that is on you, but I found an iem I purchased a while back and started enjoying it last night. I actually forgot I had it. It was the Final B3. Listened to it last night and enjoyed with my phone. You might miss some of your iems. But I am a hoarder lol.

Right :thumbsup: you won't miss the thrill of chase at all! Nope! Join the long list of I'm not buying earphone another until...then never make it "until". :)
ughhhhhhh i know haha I have a small collection and I am already finding myself fidgeting between the sets rather than just enjoying them... but everything is so shiny...

In a perfect world, I would have one all-rounder and one basshead set and be satisfied.

Nov 27, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #89,832 of 100,494
Round 2!
Linsoul has limited (to 30 uses each) $10 and $15 off codes again.
Minimum $25/$30 order.
Moondrop, Topping, xDuoo, GUSTARD, TANCHJIM, SMSL items are excluded.

$10 off $25 - B8DTYA1JS27F

$15 off $30 - HQZ136GK41TK

7Hz Zero 2 Linsoul.jpg
Thanks for the code! Picked up a pair in Orange and some Tri Clarion tips.

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #89,833 of 100,494
I wasn't planning on getting a new IEM but the hype surrounding the Klanar, along with a generous BF sale, convinced me to try it out. Recent gear acquisitions have convinced me that I personally prefer the presentation of circumaural headphones and speakers, but the planar IEM space is really exciting. At the time, I didn't end up liking the Timeless enough to keep it, but it was still technically impressive. If the Klanar can address a lot of the issues that have been plaguing various planar IEMs, I have to hear what that sounds like. Hopeful that this will be a keeper.

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #89,834 of 100,494
Sonic-Memory-SW2-Dynamic-Earphones.png

Sonic-Memory-SW2-Dynamic-Earphones-3.png

So these popped up on AliExpress sonic memory SW2 8mm DD with wooden tuning nozzles very tempted

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127_142248.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127_142248.jpg
    717.4 KB · Views: 0
Nov 27, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #89,835 of 100,494
no*SOUND presenta…
SERIAL BASSIER
ARTTI R1

🔈 Driver Setup. 2DD 6mm PU Suspension Titanium + 1DD 8mm CC Beryllium-diaphragm
✨Sen & Imp. 102dB/mW | 20,4Ω
💰 Price. 60€
1000022222-01.jpeg

EVALUATION A+
Although I am not a fan of PENON, have to confess that I have always had a platonic love with the PENON SERIAL. That triple driver configuration on the dynamic drivers has caught my attention…

Therefore, when VOLKCHOI launched this iem, I had to spend €60 to test if they were what I expected. The graphics were promising, the build quality, and the leaks that they were built by LETSHUOER (and don't even notice, 60 euros for this capsule, sets a new standard in quality), ended with my wallet empty and my ears full.

1000022217-01.jpeg

Well, enough of the stories. At first, you already notice that we are looking at a colorful headphone, with punch and quite a bit of bass enhancement. This intensity does not prevent the presentation of a correct scene, in which the voices, if the recording is good and does not have much bass load, are perfectly placed, giving way to a naturalness with which to enjoy for hours. It's one of these headphones that you can wear for whatever you want, it doesn't matter what genre or use it is, it's the same for watching the latest film from NOLAN as it is for enjoying some JAZZ. It behaves more than correctly technically, without sacrificing anything (well, a little lack of detail, not definition, in the highs)

1000022224-01.jpeg

With an elongated bass, I remember the FiiO FH7s (not being so long), and which achieves a sound similar to the LEGATO. It does not reach the definition of these two, but it has a certain texture, moving more air and being more agile. I would say that it moves more air than both, picking up quickly, transmitting a blow that is satisfactory. It really has something special on the bass tuning.
In the mids and highs, it has a tone that feels warmer. The voices are correct, with body, although they suffer from sibilance (especially in the female ones). All are forgivable failures, but taking into account that it is a very specific profile, with technical capabilities far above what it costs. I remember that this headset costs similar to what the TRIPOWIN MELE cost… destroying it in all sections.
Better in the scene than in the definition, it makes you feel as if you were at a macro concert and not in a club. I've said it several times, but what makes this headset unique is the ability to hit you... you're going to move your head as you feed these pair.

1000022221-01.jpeg

If you are not a fan of treble, you are in the €20 range and want to try something with quality under €100… this R1 should be among your “possibles”. Pair with a good dongle that gives it more juice, and you have it.

✅ Intense and colorful

✅ Hits hard without over-invading other frequencies
✅ Natural, musical, fun as hell

✅ Impressive build quality for the price

🟡 Although it has spark, don't look for details here

🟡 The voices can end up drowning in the scene
🟡 Unforgiving bass with loudness-war or bad recordings

⭕ It is not the most comfortable iem on the market
⭕ I would have preferred to pay a little more for a slightly better cable and tips

EVALUATION A+
Aunque no soy fan de PENON, he de confesar que siempre he tenido un amor platonico con el PENON SERIAL. Esa configuración de triple driver en los dinámicos, me ha llamado poderosamente la atención…

Por ello, cuando VOLKCHOI lanzó este auricular, tuve que gastar 60€ en probar si eran lo que esperaba. La gráfica prometía, la calidad de construcción, y las filtraciones de que estaban construidos por LETSHUOER (y no veas si se nota, 60 euros por esta capsula, marca un nuevo estándar en calidad), acabaron con mi cartera vacía y mis oidos llenos.

Bueno, basta de historias. De primeras, ya notas que estamos ante un auricular colorido, con pegada y bastante realce en bajos. No impide esa intensidad la presentación de una escena correcta, en la que las voces, si la grabación es buena y no tiene mucha carga en bajos se colocan perfectamente, dando paso a una naturalidad con la que disfrutar durante horas. Porque es de estos auriculares que puedes calzartelos para lo que quieras, no le importa el género ni el uso, lo mismo te vale para ver lo último de NOLAN que para disfrutar algo de JAZZ. Tiene un comportamiento más que correcto en lo técnico, sin sacrificar nada (bueno, un poquito de falta de detalle, que no definición, en los altos)

Con un bajo alargado, recuerdo al FiiO FH7s, que no se alarga tanto, y que consigue una escena parecido al LEGATO. No llega a la definición de estos dos, pero tiene cierta textura, moviendo mas aire y siendo mas ágil. Diría que mueve mas aire que ambos, recogiendo rápido, transmitiendo un golpe que es satisfactorio. Tiene algo especial en estas frecuencias, de verdad.
En los medios y altos, cumple con un timbre que tira más hacia lo cálido. Las voces son correctas, con cuerpo, aunque sufre de sibilancias (sobretodo en las femeninas). Todo son fallos perdonables, mas teniendo en cuenta que es un perfil muy específico, con capacidades en lo técnico muy por encima de lo que cuesta. Recuerdo que este auricular cuesta parecido a lo que en su dia costaba el TRIPOWIN MELE, y lo destroza en todo los apartados.
Mejor en la escena que en la definición, te hace sentir como si estuvieras en un macroconcierto y no en un garito. Lo he repetido varias veces, pero lo que hace único a este auricular, es la capacidad de golpearte… vas a mover la cabeza como le metas chicha a estos bichos.

Sino eres un loco de los agudos, y estas metido en la gama de 20€ con ganas de probar algo de calidad sin pasar de los 100€… este R1 debe estar entre tus “posibles”. Juntalo con un buen dongle que le aporte mas de chicha, y lo tienes.

✅ Intenso y colorido
✅ Golpea con fuerza sin invadir en exceso
✅ Natural, musical y divertidisimo

✅ Calidad de construccion impresionante para el precio

🟡 Aunque con cierta chispa, no busques detalle aqui

🟡 Las voces pueden acabar hundidas en la escena
🟡 Las malas grabaciones no se perdonan en la zona baja

⭕ No es el iem mas comodo del mercado
⭕ Hubiera preferido pagar algo más por un cable y tips algo mejores

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back