The discovery thread!
Nov 7, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #88,171 of 104,286
Hello, can anybody recommend me an IEM that has similiar profile as Moondrop Quarks DSP in a similiar price range? Unfortunately mine's broke because the cable inside the iem suddenly detached from the driver. I like the sounds from that IEM especially the treble, clarity and separation. i thought the imaging were bad but this is not a review so if anybody could help me find a better replacement with better bass and separation without reducing other qualities i would greatly appreciate that. Sorry for being picky.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #88,172 of 104,286
Fellow audio enthusiasts here, please check out my review of HIBY R6 PRO II. I might be a bit late for posting my review on this device.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-r6-pro-ii-gen-2.26573/

20231031_172231_HDR.jpg

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #88,173 of 104,286
cover copy 2.jpg

Penon DOME Universal IEM with Penon ASOS cable and WM1A with MrWalkman's firmware, regular silicone wide-bore tips.

Kaveh Cohen, Michael Nielsen
Forza Motorsport OST
Brotherhood
44.1 kHz - 24 bit

One of my most favorite aspects of this song starts at the beginning. Yet even though the bass is at the start, it continues throughout the song (until the end) and is in many ways the backbone of the song. At 00:08 this syncopated bass rhythm takes place. And being that this is a racing video game OST you can kinda guess the importance of such a bass synth additive. And of course there are sections of remission of this device use, brake-downs that need the silence for a moment. Yet this deep throb really makes the song for me. It’s the foundation to which all else is added. But more than that the way the Dome plays it back is with both finesse and charm. The charm is just how clear yet separated it eventually becomes. Separated into its own channel. So the bass is tight, fast and delineated, and really more emotional than the Globe before it. Emotional due to both texture and size, the Globe did other things, and while both the Orb and the Globe were known for their bass replay, we are now on a whole different level of perception. What I would call this bass is in the pocket. The pocket is both a rhythm and a bounce, a frequency display that while notable, is still leaving so much headroom for all the other activities to go on. Now prior I left a small part out of the 00:08 feature as it is not just bass but at that exact time is also the arrival of the beat. So it’s almost like this heartbeat and instantly there is also the main theme of keys being played on top. These keys are panned to the left and right as an effect, they also have echo and reverberation. Yet what is special is how the echo is aligned with the beat, which is also aligned with the bass throbs. Now this may sound interesting or maybe not, to you? But what is fabulous is the way each element has their section, but not only their section but there is a sparkle to the cleanness here that just makes it all the more interesting. So it comes off simple and in many ways it is a simple number, except there are slight accents in all the best of places. But I have left one single super important feature here that is the key.

The key is the Dome imaging placement. You see, each IEM driver methodology has a character of positioning. Yep, this often will get played back in more of an up-down style of layering. Such effects would be from single full-range dynamic drivers….only here we have a Hybrid set-up. So just imagine with me that bass I was talking about earlier…..yes it is in its own zone. Then the best part is how the keys are way out to the side, but then there is a middle synth which is in a frequency between the keys and the bass. Yet the surprising thing is how that even has a farther reach into the soundstage distance. I mean this Brotherhood song is only 02:13 total in length, yet there is a lot here. At 44:00 the middle synth shows up and has the effect of showcasing a totally new area of the stage, one that you didn’t even realize existed up until the 44:00 mark. You see this is what Hybrids are about, they are the best (widest) stage possible. Except the final feature is that everything sounds exactly the way it should. I’m talking about timbre. You see we are miles away from what all BA IEMs were like in 2019. We now have a woofer, our 10mm PET diaphragm has decays and natural abilities the BAs just can’t quite reach. But also there are 2 Sonion BAs in the middle and one Knowles tweeter. Each component has its own channel, its very own sound transfer tube within the IEM. Yet almost as important is what timbre is like now with this new generation of BAs. It’s simply more dialed in, more natural and more life-like. Sonion and Knowles both are making this metallic tone a thing of the past. Part of it is the tune, meaning making the BAs put out a certain quality, part of it is having a DD woofer…..but the main thing I’m guessing is these are new generations of BAs, BAs that just sound realistic?

DSC_0135.jpegw.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #88,174 of 104,286
My gosh, just listened to some oldies and the stereo imaging of the rain and car driving sound effect at the beginning was really breathtaking.

I feel like we are all overlooking that you said resolution and imaging is better than the Ronin. But I notice dear friend. I see you.

Does that also make these better than anything being posted here?

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #88,175 of 104,286
Looks like DUNU has kicked off the 11/11 cum Black Friday sales with an up to 35% off on their online shop.

https://www.dunu-topsound.com/shop

Take note, you can stack the extra 10% storewide discount (BFYAY2023) promo code to further drive the advertised sale price down even further.
black_friday.png

2.png

3.png

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #88,177 of 104,286
Planning on getting an used Elysian Gaea from another head.fier, currently waiting for a shipping rate quote.

Anyone know where I can buy replacement cables that won't break the bank?
XINHS, IVIPQ and NICEHCK.

On that order.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #88,178 of 104,286
I feel like we are all overlooking that you said resolution and imaging is better than the Ronin. But I notice dear friend. I see you.

Does that also make these better than anything being posted here?
Yes you are correct, I am sharing what I have overlooked in the past to people who might be interested in and comparing these buds to Ronin. There is no way an IEM can create a comparable imaging due to the physical limitations. There is infinitely more air to let the sound wave to propogate and reconstruct, resulting in much better separation and much less damping especially in the region of the finest and dimmest detail. The realism of the sound is also unmatched due to the continuity (no crossovers). But as I said these are not very versatile and I won't listen to EDM with buds.

The only relevant set that I can compare these buds to is the BQEYZ Wind that I purchased lately and I really liked it and I still do but it sounds lack of detail and boxy compared to the ST10s and ST20p especially. I was converted to an IEM guy because I heard more resolution and bass than buds but I am sure I will purchase some more buds instead.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #88,180 of 104,286
Exactly big stage , big bore , properly tuned shell, big vents, 20231106_204331.jpg
Interesting are those the Dunu SS tips I've not tried them on the Advar I have Divinis velvet on my mine. Will give it a go, I will say the SS tips are fab on the IKkO OH5 Asgard.

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #88,181 of 104,286
A FUN-tastic set

20231107_174744.jpg

20231107_175350.jpg

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #88,182 of 104,286
The price:
Ya I saw this price last night and it's more than I thought they would cost hence why I asked if people sold their review pair of iems so I wouldn't have to buy new 😅

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #88,183 of 104,286
They're on my list.
Only the price has stopped me so far.
Is it worth it?
Never would have said yes to that 1 year ago , I was thinking Hybrid all the way.
Since then I have changed my mind. My THOR Mjölnir MKII, Softears Twilight and now this Advar gets all my ear time.

I picked up this set for $450 CAD and for me 💯% a great purchase 👍

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #88,184 of 104,286
Interesting are those the Dunu SS tips I've not tried them on the Advar I have Divinis velvet on my mine. Will give it a go, I will say the SS tips are fab on the IKkO OH5 Asgard.
The S&S tips gives me crazy 3D stage, the JVC Spiral Dots FX10 were great as well

Nov 7, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #88,185 of 104,286
The S&S tips gives me crazy 3D stage, the JVC Spiral Dots FX10 were great as well
Cheers for the reply have not got any spiral dots crazy expensive for a rubber tip but I have 3 boxes of SS XL so happy days I'll give en a try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back