The discovery thread!
Sep 8, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #86,086 of 106,692
Edit:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #86,087 of 106,692
https://www.knowles.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/tb-14.pdf?sfvrsn=4aa075b1_2

This maybe?
@Ferdinando1968

They measure the FR in Ohms?

01262C24-07FE-467A-9B8A-D8B54A40A31E.png

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #86,088 of 106,692
on knowles page,
https://www.knowles.com/subdepartment/dpt-accessories/subdpt-dampers

For the Ohm, maybe its to mimic pass-filter for easier comparison?

I remember reading CVJ is offshoot of TRN,

more i read about Kumo, it feels its a much better value than BA16.
Kumo have new gen Bellsings BAs, DLP soundtube, and knowles filter to smoothen the sound further.

and BA16 seems to have have two 30095 in the nozzle + moar (older) BAs in ol big cavity metal shell

Its kinda crazy that CVJ seems to try to throw everything on the wall in the last few month and seems to improve beyond TRN

Thanks guys.
I think it’s complex matter.
I must study about.

The filter has an unique resistive value, and acts as a passive acoustic filter mainly reducing the first peak resulted by the mechanical resonance at f0

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #86,090 of 106,692
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #86,091 of 106,692
Thanks guys.
I think it’s complex matter.
I must study about.

The filter has an unique resistive value, and acts as a passive acoustic filter mainly reducing the first peak resulted by the mechanical resonance at f0
Yes somehow they are known by that?
442E7924-2E59-4CAC-B860-860AD167D530.jpeg

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #86,092 of 106,692
Explain something to me, I'm ignorant.
What is the function of these dumpers, and why is their value written in ohm?

The dampers increase impedance and may change the sound signature/drivability. With increased impedance, some IEMs will have more changes in the bass, if they don't have a linear impedance curve (in general single DDs and planars usually have a linear impedance curve, whereas BAs and hybrids usually have variations in the impedance curve).

So these are the various filters and their impedances, from smallest to largest.
11263009 (1).png

These dampers can be bought on aliexpress or amazon, just search "knowles filter" or "knowles damper". Do buy a damper removal tool too for easier removal of the filter. I bought mine here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32580267018.html but you can just buy it from the cheapest shop or something.

Think of it as another audiophile DIY tinkering along the chain to get audio nirvana.
The Knowles filters are reusable and can be installed easily as per this video (credit to this audiophile who uploaded it):

I remember reading CVJ is offshoot of TRN,

Yes CVJ is a sister company of TRN.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #86,093 of 106,692
The dampers increase impedance and may change the sound signature/drivability. With increased impedance, some IEMs will have more changes in the bass, if they don't have a linear impedance curve (in general single DDs and planars usually have a linear impedance curve, whereas BAs and hybrids usually have variations in the impedance curve).

So these are the various filters and their impedances, from smallest to largest.
11263009 (1).png

These dampers can be bought on aliexpress or amazon, just search "knowles filter" or "knowles damper". Do buy a damper removal tool too for easier removal of the filter. I bought mine here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32580267018.html but you can just buy it from the cheapest shop or something.

Think of it as another audiophile DIY tinkering along the chain to get audio nirvana.
The Knowles filters are reusable and can be installed easily as per this video (credit to this audiophile who uploaded it):

Yes CVJ is a sister company of TRN.

So you're telling me that this mechanical/acoustic attenuation also translates into an increase in the driver's electrical resistance/impedance (BA)?

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #86,094 of 106,692
So you're telling me that this mechanical/acoustic attenuation also translates into an increase in the driver's electrical resistance/impedance (BA)?

Yes, so adding a higher impedance damper will make it harder to drive.

Some IEMs have a knowles damper inside the housing of the shell. So if u add one of these aftermarket knowles filter into the nozzle, it is additive in damping (add the stock damper XX ohms + whatever damper u put into the nozzle).

Others who are more adventurous have tried removing the stock damper of the IEM and put their aftermarket damper inside (I haven't tried this personally, afraid of accidentally damaging something).

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #86,095 of 106,692
But don't try to straight up adding IEMs impedance (which is electrical property) to the new impedance after the acoustic damper is installed, those are two different units. Acoustic impedance affects the sensitivity

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #86,096 of 106,692
Yes, so adding a higher impedance damper will make it harder to drive.

Some IEMs have a knowles damper inside the housing of the shell. So if u add one of these aftermarket knowles filter into the nozzle, it is additive in damping (add the stock damper XX ohms + whatever damper u put into the nozzle).

Others who are more adventurous have tried removing the stock damper of the IEM and put their aftermarket damper inside (I haven't tried this personally, afraid of accidentally damaging something).

Very interesting subject.. I will never do it either for fear of damaging the IEMs.. but it is interesting..

I didn't think that the mechanical resistance applied to the BA transducer could have such great repercussions on its electrical characteristics.

Something similar happens in electric motors, but in reverse; that is, if you apply a resisting (mechanical) torque, you actually decrease the impedance of the motor, which therefore consumes more (which, if you think about it, is also physically understandable).

The thing that seems strange to me here is that by applying mechanical resistance on the BA (because it forces it more I think), its resistance increases, rather than decreasing.

But ok, good to knows.

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #86,097 of 106,692
Very interesting subject.. I will never do it either for fear of damaging the IEMs.. but it is interesting..

I didn't think that the mechanical resistance applied to the BA transducer could have such great repercussions on its electrical characteristics.

Something similar happens in electric motors, but in reverse; that is, if you apply a resisting (mechanical) torque, you actually decrease the impedance of the motor, which therefore consumes more (which, if you think about it, is also physically understandable).

The thing that seems strange to me here is that by applying mechanical resistance on the BA (because it forces it more I think), its resistance increases, rather than decreasing.

But ok, good to knows.

You can do any damping adjustment without any type of risk, you will not damage anything at all, another thing is whether you like the result or not.

Sep 8, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #86,100 of 106,692
Hmm looks like a wireless...I still can't wrap my head around why no one has tried the BGVP Phantom since I thought that was a super intriguing driver combo. Someone please be the guinea pig.
I've got the BGVP Phantom. It's alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back