The discovery thread!
Jul 25, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #83,866 of 106,860
Jul 25, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #83,867 of 106,860
Jul 25, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #83,868 of 106,860
Wow I'm digging for the looks and the bass tuning. This is like something coming from Nothing phone company.

Interesting driver configuration with different thick planar, this is something new

Starfield II is ass, ass as if kick ass bad ass good or meh?
LOL, I forgot to remove that from my post.

Tuned like the Stellaris apparently:

Jul 25, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #83,869 of 106,860
Hope that peak not real. Lol.
Actually, it probably is. However, it doesn't show itself in the playback. If you put a notch filter at 8k and EQ it down 4 Db it looses most of its air frequencies that I like (cymbals and other high frequency percussion instruments). In my ears, Olina (OG), to compare with another IEM, is too hot (pinna gain and the second peak) which drowns out a lot of those sounds. I'm sure the Olina SE was better on that front. It was too small for my ears, though. TSMR Land was too hot as well.

Jul 25, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #83,870 of 106,860
PSA from Precog: Starfield II is ass.

How's the fit? I'm not getting this for sure due to the fit.

I'd love to get my hands on the SE version soon, this should have been the default design IMO.

I think Precog said the Helios has one of the best treble replays without completely nuking your bank account.
The nozzle is not as bad as people say. It’s not Etymotic, though you will need to pull your ears and twist the IEM into place just like one (instruction directly from Symphonium). Don’t cheat with spin fit or anything, or you will mess up the treble. Just twist it in. You don’t need to fit the whole nozzle in either. The earpieces will dangle outside your ears. That’s why there is no earhook on the stock cable to support this fit.

From TOTL perspective (that statement sounds like an ass :dt880smile: ),Helios is alright, not U12t or MEST III. The true resolution is around to slightly above Andromeda 2020 in A/B, though the Helios would appear to be more resolving due to the tuning.

The stage is very interesting, due to the size of earpieces , the treble extension, and just excellent engineering. Pin point, large, with everything taken a step back.

It boils down to fit and tonality. At a glance, the tonality is boring. But it grew on me.

And yes, the sheer treble extension is top notch, though, again, when I A/B with the plain old Andro 2020, I don’t feel that it has more quality or significantly more air than Andro.

Excellent IEM, and I still have a soft spot for that personal thank you note with their signatures on it.

Now, should I add this to my collection? I’m not sure. Will try to borrow a Monarch II to A/B soon.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #83,871 of 106,860

I'll see (indeed, I'll hear), and I'll tell you what I think, for what my opinion is worth.

I bought a couple of them because I like them aesthetically.

The funny thing is that when something sounds crap, they always compare it to poor STELLARIS 😂.

What have those poor IEMs done wrong to always be mistreated?😂

Jul 25, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #83,872 of 106,860
Gosh this’s news to me, I’ve been a moderator on there for about 2 years, I’m not a reviewer, I don’t take backhands, I don’t shill and my mouth is my own…I’m there so things stay on topic and folks are decent to each other…please do point out who’s been toxic and when so I can take the appropriate action if necessary 👍
Perhaps when people can swear at will to express their opinions?

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #83,873 of 106,860

My review of the DUNU Falcon Ultra is out, and you can read it here.

Hope you enjoy it and thanks for reading.
Hey Nymz, fancy seeing you here!

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #83,875 of 106,860

graph - 2023-07-26T004610.481.png

I'm going to recommend an 'old' IEM before it disappears completely.

The Magaosi DQ4 has had it's small share of reviews but didn't get a wide appreciation. For me, it has the perfect sound profile. It's mainly an IEM that pushes clarity with a
bass that is still quite present. It's also the first IEM that really fit my ears and didn't get pushed out every few minutes.

Some information:
The Magaosi DQ4 from 2019. It is no longer in production so there's only what is in stock that will be sold. Magaosi seems to have stopped producing IEMS.
The Magaosi DQ4 is a 2 DD and 2 BA IEM. According to the product information it has a single balanced armature Knowles 29689 for medium frequencies and
a single balanced armature custom for high frequencies. It has an independently custom composite diaphragm dynamic of 8mm for low frequencies and an independently
custom composite diaphragm dynamic of 6mm for low frequencies.

It has two switches (yeah, it was a bit before its time) with 4 different tunings.
The tuning names are (according to the box):
1 to up, 2 to up: High resolution
1 to up, 2 to down: low frequency enhancement
1 to down, 2 to down: voice enhancement
1 to down, 2 to up: atmosphere enhancement

However, I managed to get these different switch positions measured and the two mid settings are incorrectly ordered. The correct order according to the measurements is:
1 to up, 2 to up: High resolution
1 to up, 2 to down: voice enhancement
1 to down, 2 to down: low frequency enhancement
1 to down, 2 to up: atmosphere enhancement

That means that the reviews do get it a bit wrong on those settings.
I'm including images of the IEM with size information and the graphs. Only the black version is available now.
The frequency graph is something to behold. I've never seen anything like it. The High Resolution setting can, for some people, be too bright but I can listen to it and still find it good.

Here's a couple of reviews:

Review 1
Review 2
graph - 2023-07-26T070733.293.png

🤔

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #83,876 of 106,860

What is wrong with Moondrop’s tuning skill :grimacing: Everyone is going forward, they are going backward.

I’m enjoying the Variations very much. It’s likely their peak.

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #83,877 of 106,860
Tuned like stelarris because stellaris is such a critical success?

Brighter than the sun?
Hold my beer
I'll show you THE SUN

- Moondrop probably -

I guess, they at least tamed the 14kish even tough only by a bit...

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #83,878 of 106,860
What is wrong with Moondrop’s tuning skill :grimacing: Everyone is going forward, they are going backward.

I’m enjoying the Variations very much. It’s likely their peak.

KZ become Moondrop.. Moondrop become KZ...

Jul 25, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #83,879 of 106,860
I didn't have a planar model at hand, so I ordered one pendamon. Has anyone heard of this model before?

I just want to try a planar model. They were supposed to pay me for ordering the iems, because seems weird. haha

-1106491169-1381100509.jpg
Keep your chin up! They may not be true planars as others have said, but in the end, it's the sound that matters and these IEM-s have been warmly received by many. I was also interested in this model, but I was afraid of poor fit and design is not my cup of tea.
Interesting driver configuration with different thick planar, this is something new
The configuration is new, but this model has been available for a long time. I remember Akros making a review.

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #83,880 of 106,860

Users who are viewing this thread

Back