The discovery thread!
Jul 19, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #83,446 of 100,549
I feel DZ4 is pretty technical and nicely tuned, maybe for a busy track like hard electronica it may struggle, I haven’t tried DZ4 on busy tracks yet, I can try it later.
What type of music did you enjoy DZ4 with?
Encouraging to see some positive feedback on the DZ4, to counter some of the negative feedback...

Jul 19, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #83,447 of 100,549
I noticed that during the sale, if I went to the coins page on the mobile app I would be able to access much greater deals of recently viewed products at ~15-25% off with coins than the automatic ~2-5% by navigating to the product's page on its own
How do you actually get those to activate? Because when I put them in my cart, I just get the normal 5% coins off

Jul 19, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #83,449 of 100,549
I, for sure, wasn't expecting to be shaken to the core with the sound output of Simgot EW200! It's A-MAZE-ING!

Yes, I do share the sentiment. Despite its price tag of $40, it has become my favorite iem under $100, and whatever sub-$100 iem I currently own, EW200 beats them all, at least to my ears. Given their published FR curve, I wasn't really expecting that hard hitting very well-tuned bass! Along with it the beautiful transparency, crisp notes, extended treble, outstanding imaging and separation, well expanded stage - the first impression is nothing short of exhilarating!

IMG20230719155623-03.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #83,450 of 100,549
Last half year on the more cheap side, easy. Venture Electronics SiE, single DD.

Such euphonic and rich sound, giving even Penon Serial a good fight.

My biggest disappointment was Fiio FD11, and especially the fact how it was "well received by reviewers" while I have not seeing anyone raving about FD11 with their personal purchases.

OK, I got FD11 because of $25 introductory price and the flower pattern (that looked much nicer on pictures than in real life).

Then it took 45+ days to come (12+ similar AE orders were under 14 days), shells are poorly if not shabbily made, a proprietary cable, accessories exactly on "old-KZ level".

Now, KZ would be totally murdered by reviewers with such offer as FD11, but that is Fiio, and reviewers were kind and gentle on it in anticipation of more interesting, more lucrative free/discounted samples - that is the glib reality of this hobby....

Not being a reviewer, I can reveal the reality that Fiio is totally loosing in a budget segment: first, with their Jade attempts, and now with the efforts like FD11 that vividly highlight their incompettiveness. LinLong are comparable and better to me. Hola and D-Fi are much better than FD11, no matter how you slice it.

P. S. As a bitter irony, I got Fiio ads in my browser right away - lame Goo...

Another sonic dissappointment is Hexa, with the enthusiastic crowd of Crin-mimickers appeased by the curve and appraising their appeasement.

Hexa is deadly boring to my ears, but here I respect the concept/vision, and am more surprised by my peasant ears/tastes preferring engaging "V" to such sonic monitor-quality curve-tuned refinement :)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #83,451 of 100,549
Not an IEM but I'm anxiously awaiting reviews of the Audeze MM-100.

Can't really tell if you like it or not, but for me the T800 has sorta ruined the hobby for me (for now). Nothing I've tried has been better enough than the T800 to warrant replacing the T800. Plus the fit for me with it is absolutely perfect, I can wear it for hours no problem.

It's worth noting that I don't use it without EQ. It needs the mid-bass reduced a bit as well as the upper midrange smoothed out to sound it's best imo. It's a bit too dark and muddy without EQ, along with that weird peak it has at around 3K.
I am awaiting that review as well. If it is close enough to the MM-500, then that will be $1000 dollars I don't have to spend in the future. As you stated with the Audiosense T800, the Meze 109 Pro (I still think about the infamous World War II plane lol) and HiFiman Arya Stealth will be hard to beat in the headphone arena for the money. I am sure I could spend a lot more and love the options, but the dynamics of the Meze and the planar clarity of the Arya perfectly balance each other.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #83,452 of 100,549
It’s not the three DDs abilities to play metal, that is in question; it’s the passive radiator being able to react, in concert with the three drivers, in the DZ4.

As a general rule, a passive radiator needs a 1:1 relationship with the DD that it’s reacting to.
what if passive radiator of DZ4 is designed to react with certain resonating frequencies?

Anyway, got the point of his comment, yea to each his own.

As someone who know the sound of DZ4:
Just listen. Reading does not tell you the sound😄

Jul 19, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #83,453 of 100,549
Jul 19, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #83,454 of 100,549
MOONDROP Starfield II

361918630_587533443542198_4628284228474866902_n.jpg
362241808_587533450208864_6407477925612698995_n.jpg
362247039_587533440208865_1221913163990298331_n.jpg

Li-Mg alloy dome composite diaphragm
$109.99 USD

Now we know where the unsold Stellaris shells went to! Hope the paint doesn't flake off too!

But jokes aside, Moondrop seems to be rehashing on past glories like the CHU 2, Solis 2 and now the Starfield 2. I wish them well, but $110 USD in this day and age is also a very tough market to break into.

https://www.facebook.com/MoondropLa...LYGpAFBRPaXpJ3n3KhwzZB45EgVjazqJtAsgdniPS9iFl
Ive been thinking about getting the STELLARIS OG... but if the people says that treble is hot....

MOONDROP BEYER 880T piercing planar edition

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #83,455 of 100,549
what if passive radiator of DZ4 is designed to react with certain resonating frequencies?

Anyway, got the point of his comment, yea to each his own.

As someone who know the sound of DZ4:
Just listen. Reading does not tell you the sound😄
Thanks, that's encouraging! Hope I will enjoy them. My first more expensive IEM, coming from Hola, Wan'er, QKZxHBB. Just my bad luck to pick a set with weird issues. 😂

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #83,456 of 100,549
Now, KZ would be totally murdered by reviewers with such offer as FD11, but that is Fiio, and reviewers were kind and gentle on it in anticipation of more interesting, more lucrative free/discounted samples - that is the glib reality of this hobby....

Not being a reviewer, I can reveal the reality that Fiio is totally loosing in a budget segment: first, with their Jade attempts, and now with the efforts like FD11 that vividly highlight their incompettiveness. LinLong are comparable and better to me. Hola and D-Fi are much better than FD11, no matter how you slice it.
Many of us murdered the cable and connection type. Mine even had loose shield on the 3.5mm side, got a extra cable after saying I don't want to glue it for them.
Your not alone. Unacceptable and a reason alone to not chose FIIO in my case.

You got it cheaper than me, ordered late so got next best offer. Ended at 45usd with import and shipping.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #83,458 of 100,549
Sounds great, thanks for your input! I don't mind a little coloration, I love my Little Dot mk3 OTL with my over ear headphones. 🙂
Here comes another little dot old fan😄👍
IMG_4732.jpeg

Jul 19, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #83,460 of 100,549
I, for sure, wasn't expecting to be shaken to the core with the sound output of Simgot EW200! It's A-MAZE-ING!

Yes, I do share the sentiment. Despite its price tag of $40, it has become my favorite iem under $100, and whatever sub-$100 iem I currently own, EW200 beats them all, at least to my ears. Given their published FR curve, I wasn't really expecting that hard hitting very well-tuned bass! Along with it the beautiful transparency, crisp notes, extended treble, outstanding imaging and separation, well expanded stage - the first impression is nothing short of exhilarating!

The EW200 is a baby Tanchjim Oxygen in my book.

Simgot EW200 Versus Oxygen.jpg

Similar Harmanish tonality, though of course the Oxygen is in a different league for technicalities.

Ive been thinking about getting the STELLARIS OG... but if the people says that treble is hot....

MOONDROP BEYER 880T piercing planar edition

Stellaris in the dictionary refers to “pertaining to a star". This IEM is literally bright than the stars.

The graph is like a boogeyman for non-trebleheads. 11dB ear gain + super extended treble. Super bright and fatiguing treble aside, it does boast some good technical chops, but the timbre is extremely unnatural due to the tuning, the note weight is just off.
Moondrop Stellaris.jpg

A double whammy other than the weird tonality and timbre, is that the fit is a joke:
Moondrop_Stellaris_Photo_2.jpg

The shells are heavy with long nozzles, and the Stellaris tends to pivot out of the ears due to wrongly placed centre of gravity.

I would rate it maybe 2.5/5, the excellent resolution and technicalities are its only saving grace. Moondrop had FOMO with every cat, dog and rat jumping onto the planar hypetrain last year, so they launched a half-baked planar to join the fray.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back