The discovery thread!
May 20, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #79,276 of 103,781
Kinera LOKI price...
IMG_20230520_223138.jpg

https://audioessence.ch/en/products/kinera-loki-quadbrid-flagship-iem

May 20, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #79,277 of 103,781
That’s why Legato and the FiiO FF3 buds are high on my list. Both have outstanding bass combined with above average technicalities.
The IMR BC2023 is a good contender for a set with good technicalities and great bass that hits with thunder, while still being in control. Great mids, slightly hot treble but goes well with the bass. And soundstage that bridges IEMs and earbuds, maybe not weird with how open the back is. I have been thinking about giving this a review, haven't done it yet since I get some fit issues that is painful when using it for a long time.

But cost is ramping up here compared to the Legato.

DSCF1923.jpg

May 20, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #79,278 of 103,781
It's actually been talked about..
There are 10 reviews here on head-fi:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hz-legato.26411/reviews

In addition, @o0genesis0o spoke explicitly about it, saying he could not stop hearing them (he also made a video on his YT channel).

If anything, the problem is that here on discovery, discoveries don't last long 😂
Discoveries come and discoveries go. This place is the landing spot and WC talk for about a week or so, and then it goes to the dedicated threads and recc posts. It's the nature of the beast! lol

May 20, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #79,279 of 103,781
May 20, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #79,280 of 103,781
I’m a HUGE Legato fan. I’ve talked about it a lot. But the acceptance of a lush, bass focused set seems to be low.
Yes Legato is very good bass iem.
One think I really appreciate is that the other frequencies are quite good too, even if basses and its impact are foreward.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #79,281 of 103,781
I’m a HUGE Legato fan. I’ve talked about it a lot. But the acceptance of a lush, bass focused set seems to be low.

Akros comparison of Sound Rhyme SR1, ISN D10 and Penon Fan was very interesting. SR1 at $60 is tempting to try for a foray into the dark side! :smiling_imp:

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #79,282 of 103,781
I really find it odd how some people here are dumping on cheap budget chi-fi IEMs when they already have a large collection of much superior IEMs that costs hundreds and thousands more. Like no crap your $800 or kilobucks IEMs are going to make $30, $50, or $100 IEMs sound inferior. You've already moved well beyond budget-fi stuff. Unless you're collecting cheap stuff for fun or you're a reviewer, there's no point in buying them anymore.

I don't collect watches or cars, but it'd be like comparing a cheap Casio to top of the line Seiko or Citizen. Or comparing a base package Toyota Corolla to a loaded up Infiniti Q50 or Q60. Then complaining about how the Corolla isn't to your liking anymore, after owning and driving the Infiniti. It just doesn't make sense lol.

I bought a few of the cheaper IEM releases lately and have not been disappointed so far. Then again, I don't compare my superior headphones and IEM to them either. The cheap stuff is for my "beater" collection or for when I'm just listening to music casually. They're not for critical listening sessions, except when I first get them to test and share my opinions with people who might be thinking of purchasing one of the sets I just bought.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #79,283 of 103,781
I enjoy both ends of the price segment, some sets coming out nowadays are cheap and good and makes you question some more expensive purchases.
I have a rule of no more expensive sets than $100 at work. Working in construction so things can get broken or and they are stored in my the work car. But still I don't need 4 different IEMs with me every day for work and also a set of TWS, but I guess like many in here we are not normal folks. This

But also at home I can go from my ZMF Verite powered by OTL amp, and then go and use my Koss Porta Pro with $10 dongle. And I can love both experiences.

I try to think about the price when I evaluate a set, that's why I was not very harsh on the Quartet. But if I compare the Quartet to my Aure or the EST50 I will get very disappointed.

I probably have around 12hours burn in/usage already on the Quartet, and if the driver or the brain. It sounds tighter in more control in its low end.

I bought a few of the cheaper IEM releases lately and have not been disappointed so far. Then again, I don't compare my superior headphones and IEM to them either. The cheap stuff is for my "beater" collection or for when I'm just listening to music casually. They're not for critical listening sessions, except when I first get them to test and share my opinions with people who might be thinking of purchasing one of the sets I just bought.

Most cheap stuff I have bought lately I have been happy with. Most of us know what we like so we can avoid certain sound signatures we don't like, for me harman or sets that has to thin low end.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #79,285 of 103,781
I really find it odd how some people here are dumping on cheap budget chi-fi IEMs when they already have a large collection of much superior IEMs that costs hundreds and thousands more. Like no crap your $800 or kilobucks IEMs are going to make $30, $50, or $100 IEMs sound inferior. You've already moved well beyond budget-fi stuff. Unless you're collecting cheap stuff for fun or you're a reviewer, there's no point in buying them anymore.

I don't collect watches or cars, but it'd be like comparing a cheap Casio to top of the line Seiko or Citizen. Or comparing a base package Toyota Corolla to a loaded up Infiniti Q50 or Q60. Then complaining about how the Corolla isn't to your liking anymore, after owning and driving the Infiniti. It just doesn't make sense lol.

Wrist watches are a good analogy. They fall into similar price tiers… until you get into the luxury segment.

So what we have is people who own Rolex, Omega etc. letting us know that our Seikos and Longines aren’t as good.

May 20, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #79,286 of 103,781
Wrist watches are a good analogy. They fall into similar price tiers… until you get into the luxury segment.

So what we have is people who own Rolex, Omega etc. letting us know that our Seikos and Longines aren’t as good.
Yes. For a luxury standpoint. Yes.

May 20, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #79,287 of 103,781
Tried the A&K X VisionEars Aura ($4200) today at the High End Munich. Please take these first impressions with a grain of salt (show-floor is not the best place to judge gears) and take it more as a surface-level idea of things.

The stock cable was on them along with the stock tips. I used the A&K SP3000 as source (class A/B mode).

The build is exquisite, and the shell looks even better in person. The cable is similar to EffectAudio Eros S in terms of look and feel in hand. Comfort was good for me. It's a large shell but the nozzle tapers off into a more ergonomic shape.

As for the sound, the first thing you notice is the bass. It's bold, and perhaps a bit on the slower side. The mids come through quite well even though the bass and mids have these contrast that can be a bit jarring. The treble is phenomenal, exceptional clarity and extension with no harshness or abrupt peaks that I could detect. Staging had excellent width and good depth, while imaging was precise. Instrument separation is the party-trick of these IEMs as instruments have distinct outlines around them, even though in bassy tracks the bass can make things fuzzy.

I think these deserve an audition, but I also believe that not everyone will find the bass tuning to their liking. And the price is, well, a big barrier, one that I do not see myself crossing for one. But hey - auditions are free, so I am happy with that for now.

2X2A1588.jpg

May 20, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #79,288 of 103,781
I have been away for a while. I have been focusing my time, money, and efforts for hobbies into music writing and production. I have learned much from that.

This is a unique and great community! @jude, @AmericanSpirit, @Dsnuts, @ehjie @Redcarmoose, et al, you rock!

I have been away to reflect on what I had instead of what I would purchase next, except for the Sony WH-1000XM5. These numerous months have given me some perspective that I needed. I admit that I recently purchased the blue version of the Moondrop KATO. Ah, the Starfield nostalgia plus the blue KATO avatar/waifu suggestive of Violet Evergarden… my knees buckled and I purchased.

Brief list of “discoveries”:
  • Most musicians are way sillier than audiophiles. I have people in forums arguing with me about Faraday’s law and other laws of physics…
  • Burn-in and cables do make a difference, but only sometimes. The KATO has distortion, to those that are sensitive to that harmonic level, that resolves after about 40 hours or so of “blind” use. (Comparing a well-used pair to a new pair). It won’t measure in a sine wave sweep given FR. Analogy: measuring height will not tell you how high the person can vertically jump. The Tansio Mirai Sands is a prime example of cable changing the sonic footprint. Any cable change deniers need to spend some time with that IEM. If you change impedance via the cable, you can change the sonic footprint of an IEM.
  • The Sony WH-1000XM5, with its Clear Bass feature, is a hearing saver. I was listening with IEMs at too high of a volume level to get that satisfying sonic “sweet spot”. That headphone gave me the ability to get a full frequency spectrum at a much lower volume level. I now use it as my primary listening device due to this.
  • This hobby, without severe restraint, is too expensive for my wallet, family needs, and my music making/producing needs.
Quick KATO “review” and suggestions. Stock, the KATO is strong. But with ePro Horns tips and the Hakugei Vocal cable raises that IEM to way beyond the price paid. So, so, so satisfying! @MOONDROP should make a package with the KATO, EPro horns, and the Hakugei Vocal cable.

Sorry for the one-off but everyone one here is so supportive and makes it hard to not spend money I need to focus elsewhere. Keep up the great community here!

Peace and I am out!

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #79,289 of 103,781
Tried the A&K X VisionEars Aura ($4200) today at the High End Munich. Please take these first impressions with a grain of salt (show-floor is not the best place to judge gears) and take it more as a surface-level idea of things.

The stock cable was on them along with the stock tips. I used the A&K SP3000 as source (class A/B mode).

The build is exquisite, and the shell looks even better in person. The cable is similar to EffectAudio Eros S in terms of look and feel in hand. Comfort was good for me. It's a large shell but the nozzle tapers off into a more ergonomic shape.

As for the sound, the first thing you notice is the bass. It's bold, and perhaps a bit on the slower side. The mids come through quite well even though the bass and mids have these contrast that can be a bit jarring. The treble is phenomenal, exceptional clarity and extension with no harshness or abrupt peaks that I could detect. Staging had excellent width and good depth, while imaging was precise. Instrument separation is the party-trick of these IEMs as instruments have distinct outlines around them, even though in bassy tracks the bass can make things fuzzy.

I think these deserve an audition, but I also believe that not everyone will find the bass tuning to their liking. And the price is, well, a big barrier, one that I do not see myself crossing for one. But hey - auditions are free, so I am happy with that for now.

2X2A1588.jpg
Thanks for the impressions. I hope to try these soon, though I’m not planning to buy 😂

Btw, let’s count how many posts until complaints about price / rip off, and AuR is mentioned as saviour.

May 20, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #79,290 of 103,781
I have been away for a while. I have been focusing my time, money, and efforts for hobbies into music writing and production. I have learned much from that.

This is a unique and great community! @jude, @AmericanSpirit, @Dsnuts, @ehjie @Redcarmoose, et al, you rock!

I have been away to reflect on what I had instead of what I would purchase next, except for the Sony WH-1000XM5. These numerous months have given me some perspective that I needed. I admit that I recently purchased the blue version of the Moondrop KATO. Ah, the Starfield nostalgia plus the blue KATO avatar/waifu suggestive of Violet Evergarden… my knees buckled and I purchased.

Brief list of “discoveries”:
  • Most musicians are way sillier than audiophiles. I have people in forums arguing with me about Faraday’s law and other laws of physics…
  • Burn-in and cables do make a difference, but only sometimes. The KATO has distortion, to those that are sensitive to that harmonic level, that resolves after about 40 hours or so of “blind” use. (Comparing a well-used pair to a new pair). It won’t measure in a sine wave sweep given FR. Analogy: measuring height will not tell you how high the person can vertically jump. The Tansio Mirai Sands is a prime example of cable changing the sonic footprint. Any cable change deniers need to spend some time with that IEM. If you change impedance via the cable, you can change the sonic footprint of an IEM.
  • The Sony WH-1000XM5, with its Clear Bass feature, is a hearing saver. I was listening with IEMs at too high of a volume level to get that satisfying sonic “sweet spot”. That headphone gave me the ability to get a full frequency spectrum at a much lower volume level. I now use it as my primary listening device due to this.
  • This hobby, without severe restraint, is too expensive for my wallet, family needs, and my music making/producing needs.
Quick KATO “review” and suggestions. Stock, the KATO is strong. But with ePro Horns tips and the Hakugei Vocal cable raises that IEM to way beyond the price paid. So, so, so satisfying! @MOONDROP should make a package with the KATO, EPro horns, and the Hakugei Vocal cable.

Sorry for the one-off but everyone one here is so supportive and makes it hard to not spend money I need to focus elsewhere. Keep up the great community here!

Peace and I am out!
Oh hey HTT! Good to see your feedback again😄👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back