The discovery thread!
May 17, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #79,066 of 106,710
UM mest mk3, launch in 3 days.

I tried the MEST MK3 at Singapore Can Jam, it was a protoype though, so may not be final tuning, but it was quite coherent, and has even better technical chops than the MEST MK2!

The MEST MK3 had very bad driver flex though, hope they fix it before launch.

In other words, suitable options can be tried, but without exaggeration. i still don't understand why pr 2 has caught the attention of the audiophile world.

It is touted as the cheapest pure planar IEM so far (I'm not counting those psuedo square planar driver types). Plus there's a big collab name backing it, and the tuning looks a bit more refined than a run-of-the-mill V shaped banshee KZ pokemon.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. I think the cycle goes something like this..

1) Look at this thread and see what IEM is currently being hyped up.

2) Keep reading about that IEM that everyone seems to be talking about.

3) Buy into the hype of the IEM since you don't want to miss out.

4) Once you listen to it for a few times, you start to wonder about upgrading.

5) Go back on this thread and not seeing what you bought be talked about as much.

6) See what is being talked about now and then buy again.

7) Repeat

Yep, so wait 2 weeks to see if something is still talked about after the initial hype. If something is still recommended after 3 months, we have a keeper. Sadly, 70% - 80% of the other so-called hypetrains crash after the first few days and are never talked about again.

One day when I finally hear these ones, if they are no good, I’ll find you and glue the EAxEA Gaea to your ears and turn up the volume

Haha do u like the GAEA? I find them quite shouty.

May 17, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #79,067 of 106,710
My Salnotes Zero ranks very low on my list. Grainy, lacks mid bass, and though the stage and imaging are colossal, the weaknesses outweigh that amazing and unique aspect. Same goes for the Cadenza.

May 17, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #79,068 of 106,710
Haha do u like the GAEA? I find them quite shouty.

I appreciate what Lee tries to achieve and his great finesses to achieve that bright but not peaky sound. But the Gaea does not have the technical chop to go toe to toe with the Monarch II. Despite the bright and artificially detailed sound, it is actually not more resolving than Andromeda (which is already TOTL anyway, so not bad). The stock EA cable is also one of the most annoying cable I have ever handled. I was going to buy a discount Gaea, but ended up going after a used U12T instead.

Still looking for something cheaper than the U12T to carry around every day, since if I break the U12T, I certainly cannot afford a replacement any time soon. Both the SA6II and Blessing 3 have small quirks that I'm not happy with. JD7 lacks the resolution. P5, Orchestra Lite, Legato, etc. are not "there" one way or another. So the search goes on.You guys just happen to tag along with my "reviews" as I search for that mythical mid-fi IEM that matches the U12T :beyersmile: Maybe I need to try something from AuR.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #79,069 of 106,710
I appreciate what Lee tries to achieve and his great finesses to achieve that bright but not peaky sound. But the Gaea does not have the technical chop to go toe to toe with the Monarch II. Despite the bright and artificially detailed sound, it is actually not more resolving than Andromeda (which is already TOTL anyway, so not bad). The stock EA cable is also one of the most annoying cable I have ever handled. I was going to buy a discount Gaea, but ended up going after a used U12T instead.

Still looking for something cheaper than the U12T to carry around every day, since if I break the U12T, I certainly cannot afford a replacement any time soon. Both the SA6II and Blessing 3 have small quirks that I'm not happy with. JD7 lacks the resolution. P5, Orchestra Lite, Legato, etc. are not "there" one way or another. So the search goes on.You guys just happen to tag along with my "reviews" as I search for that mythical mid-fi IEM that matches the U12T :beyersmile: Maybe I need to try something from AuR.
Seems like AüR Aurora might be up your alley if you like U12T or something from Sound Rhyme or Penon.

May 17, 2023 at 10:51 PM Post #79,070 of 106,710
Got any sets to compare with? Mine are also on the way, probably not here before next week.
Primarily comparing with the Yume since it’s a set I know very well and is an example of good tonal performance. Where the BA’s fall short on this set they make up for with good technicalities however I have yet to figure out how to eliminate the stuffiness.

May 17, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #79,071 of 106,710
This one looks quite interesting. Would be curious to see how they cram all those tubes inside the shell without sharp bend and ensuring repeatability between products.

I remember JH Layla has a long tube and it was a pain for them to build over time. they actually developed the 3D inner chamber to simulate those tubes lengths on the the AION version.
AFUL is a science project based, and they are experts of both Fourier transformation for digital signals, and Laplace transformation for that acoustic physical resonators.

By combining almost insane looking crossover system that’s no where to be found, and some mystical physical filter system that was also filed as a part of the patent, I believe P8 is a breakthrough just like P5.

Their air pressure balance system worked very good in both functional pressure release as well as improving “bass elasticity”.

May 17, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #79,072 of 106,710
One day when I finally hear these ones, if they are no good, I’ll find you and glue the EAxEA Gaea to your ears and turn up the volume
Damn you're brutal

@Asakurai have you try Lee's ears? Seems like his iem is quite famous

May 17, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #79,073 of 106,710
Damn you're brutal

@Asakurai have you try Lee's ears? Seems like his iem is quite famous
I own two actually and have tried his chorus, you can see the graph from neptone

Lee's Ears Arouse D8 8BA
FB_IMG_1684380603925.jpg

The most beautiful and greatest build quality from any resin IEM, yes including that TOTL bunch

Honestly i like this more than Moondrop S8 and definitely better treble than S8 imo

Tho it depends on what you look for, if you looking for dry clinical sounding, S8 is your choice
Looking for vocal highlight with good extension, go for D8

Both imo at the same level, just different taste

Another Lee's Ears that i own is old White Pearl 5ba2est (discontinued and change with White Pearl2)
FB_IMG_1684380595164.jpg
Have dark down sloping sound, not gonna popular in nowadays market tho, quite good response to EQ tho only the bass is not responsive enough

Just go for D8 imo

Haven't tried his flagship 12ba+4est phantom nor the new white pearl

May 17, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #79,074 of 106,710
Lee's Ears Arouse D8 8BA
FB_IMG_1684380603925.jpg

Ears Arouse is an excellent IEM name! I hope it gurantees a eargasm with each listening session!

Is there a graph for measurebators to view?

May 18, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #79,075 of 106,710
Ears Arouse is an excellent IEM name! I hope it gurantees a eargasm with each listening session!

Is there a graph for measurebators to view?
graph - 2023-05-18T110014.866.png

I own two actually and have tried his chorus, you can see the graph from neptone

Lee's Ears Arouse D8 8BA
FB_IMG_1684380603925.jpg

The most beautiful and greatest build quality from any resin IEM, yes including that TOTL bunch

Honestly i like this more than Moondrop S8 and definitely better treble than S8 imo

Tho it depends on what you look for, if you looking for dry clinical sounding, S8 is your choice
Looking for vocal highlight with good extension, go for D8

Both imo at the same level, just different taste

Another Lee's Ears that i own is old White Pearl 5ba2est (discontinued and change with White Pearl2)
FB_IMG_1684380595164.jpg
Have dark down sloping sound, not gonna popular in nowadays market tho, quite good response to EQ tho only the bass is not responsive enough

Just go for D8 imo

Haven't tried his flagship 12ba+4est phantom nor the new white pearl
So if you were to compare lee ears tuning vs night (something), what would you go for. Also i hope you can do like a quick ranking of all taobao/xianyu iem that you have tried and bought 😁

May 18, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #79,076 of 106,710
May 18, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #79,077 of 106,710
So if you were to compare lee ears tuning vs night (something), what would you go for. Also i hope you can do like a quick ranking of all taobao/xianyu iem that you have tried and bought
Tuning and Technical and price chifi builder (excluding clone builder)
Top Tier
忘夜

Second Tier
YS
Yanyin

Third tier
Moondrop / softears (expensive)
Thieaudio
JQ
Lee Ears

Honorable mention because it's good but expensive (unbearable damage to your wallet)
Dressage
qdc

Not on the list doesn't mean it's bad, it just not on my radar or haven't reach that TOTL tuning

Build Quality should be held by Lee Ears on top
Followed by Yanyin YS Moondrop and 忘夜
Lower tier should be on Mangird and Thieaudio, the rest should be in between

Mangird and Thieaudio build quality felt very cheap and thin resin (JQ also fall on this)

Wow the ear gain is almost non-existant. The vocals might end up very far back in the backseat.
And guess what lot of ppl try and saying the highlight is the vocal 😬

May 18, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #79,078 of 106,710
graph - 2023-05-18T110014.866.png

So if you were to compare lee ears tuning vs night (something), what would you go for. Also i hope you can do like a quick ranking of all taobao/xianyu iem that you have tried and bought 😁

The midrange looks like SA6II up until 4kHz. Early ear-gain rise is a big no no to me.

Wow the ear gain is almost non-existant. The vocals might end up very far back in the backseat.

Have you tried SA6II? The 1.25kHz boost does pushes the vocals forward in a different way than the traditional 3kHz peak. I was hoping SA6II would have a bit laid back vocals, but that was not the case. Forward, but not shouty is the default presentation of these IEMs with early ear gain.

May 18, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #79,079 of 106,710
graph (2).png
Maybe i'll explain why Lee's Arouse D8 fall into midcentric with good extension (and why lot of ppl trying it say the vocal is highlighted)
Both is my own IEM, anole vx clone based on anole vx with bass increased around 3db (which become like anole v14 bass)

That early rise between 500hz and reach max around 1k really helps, qdc anole vx also doing that, it just push the vocal to the front and make the vocal knot bigger than the instrument (and this is qdc trademark which make qdc quite different sounding)

And the bass and treble is quite relaxed that's why the vocal is highlighted on D8

I would say Lee's Ears D8 fall into midcentric with good extension both ways, no it's not allrounder because it will always make the vocal standout in every song

This might not true, but it's what my conclusion after owning 50+ iems and ask my friend to graph it
And pretty sure i've heard lee ears d8 for more than 200 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back