The discovery thread!
May 17, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #79,036 of 106,715
If I skip the uncomfortable bl 03, I can say waner on a daily basis and whizzer kylin as my favorite earphone. I love the warm signature earphones. Already kylin is capable of competing with most things in the $200 band, it's already around $150-200. Yes, I really ordered too many unnecessary things.
Yanyin Canon might be your jam, if you’re looking to upgrade

May 17, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #79,037 of 106,715
I got myself into the $20-40 band badly because it's cheap. I bought close to 10 iems in the last month, is this a wrong decision? Right now I only listen to two of them regularly, I wish I had ordered blessing 3 instead of some models. Quantity can be bull sometimes, I prefer quality.

How can I end this nonsense?
For the money I spent, I could probably get a zeitan wu and a blessing 3. To try yesterday simgot ew100p, blon z300, salnotes zero, chu etc. I was thinking of ordering a few items and then I decided that it was quite costly. The budget headphones that I have received in the last month cost about $ 400, and when you order things like $ 20 - $ 40 constantly, huge budgets can be reached. Do you have any suggested solution?
IMO, yes and no, more leaning towards no. Depending on your budgeted fun money, 10 might’ve been a bit excessive. But it’s better to find your playback preferences on budget friendly offerings, versus jumping head first into a $320 option (like the Blessing 3) and then finding it to not be to your tastes.

There’s no way to know whether you prefer:
1. A DD base, vs. a BA base
2. Single DD, vs. hybrid
3. One manufacturer‘s target over others
4. . . .
without experiencing them for yourself.

It took me a couple of years (and regrettably more $$$ than I wish disclose) to put the sub $100 offerings in my rear view mirror. But that’s not to say that I don’t occasionally dabble in that pool (KZ PR2).

Good luck

May 17, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #79,038 of 106,715
...whizzer kylin as my favorite earphone. I love the warm signature earphones. Already kylin is capable of competing with most things in the $200 band, it's already around $150-200. Yes, I really ordered too many unnecessary things.
Revel in your Whizzer flagship Kylin He03l, (seems like I set I'd like). First step you already took, recognizing you over bought, and knowing the Kylin competes with $200 sets. Pause buying for 6 months, and wait for a game changer.

May 17, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #79,039 of 106,715
I really wish the Dioko was better. It was a major miss for me too.
The upside of the Dioko for me was it let me know how much detail there was to be had with planar IEMs. So it did let me know I wanted one in my daily rotation, but I wish I could've used that money on the Quartet instead. I'm lucky that I'm in a position where I can make a $100 mistake, tho. Because it's unlikely I'll ever be able to sell it. At this point I don't really want to, either, it's kind of a memento of mistakes made.
Yes, thank you everyone for the good ideas. I knew the shortcomings of salnotes dioko, why didn't you like cra? I haven't tried it but so many use it, my next choice might be a planar tangzu zeitan wu.
The CRA doesn't have nearly the clarity and detail of the Zero, Wan'er, Zero, Khan, etc. And I could very clearly hear it after listening to the Dioko for a while ironically. And I think I got the updated CRA with the silent redesign that might make it a little bit worse? Hard to tell, but I only snagged it because people use it as an example frequently so it felt like getting a good grounding of what budget IEMs sounded like a while back.

But the Zero blew it out of the water for 7-8 dollars more? Yeah, I really don't see myself using it again. Every now at then I'll bust out the Zero for a lightweight change of pace compared to the heft of the Heydays.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #79,040 of 106,715
Got the Zeta as a part of the review tour in India today!! It's quite impressive, love the thick bass, clean midrange, and smooth laid-back treble!!

Unboxing and Impressions video will post tomorrow, enjoy some shots i clicked after the unboxing:-
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

May 17, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #79,041 of 106,715
I got myself into the $20-40 band badly because it's cheap. I bought close to 10 iems in the last month, is this a wrong decision? Right now I only listen to two of them regularly, I wish I had ordered blessing 3 instead of some models. Quantity can be bull sometimes, I prefer quality.

How can I end this nonsense?
For the money I spent, I could probably get a zeitan wu and a blessing 3. To try yesterday simgot ew100p, blon z300, salnotes zero, chu etc. I was thinking of ordering a few items and then I decided that it was quite costly. The budget headphones that I have received in the last month cost about $ 400, and when you order things like $ 20 - $ 40 constantly, huge budgets can be reached. Do you have any suggested solution?
Yeah. Stop buying cheap stuff, saver your money, and take the next step up. I did it, and I don't regret it.

May 17, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #79,042 of 106,715
Lately, with the exception of my forced random grabs, I've spent nearly all my ear time with my current big 4. The IE600, the Aure, The Wu Zetian, and the Z300. The first three at home, and the last one on the go. Now my Quartets are in transit, so they may very well end up replacing the Z300 as my on the go IEM, but I don't see the big 3 being interrupted anytime soon, as I'm satisfied with the lineup I have, and buying more is redundant and wasteful. The only reason I got the Quartet is because I have the previous Kiwi Ears releases, and I did do the $1.00 reserve for the $10.00 discount, but that will be the last purchase you see from me in awhile (unless I sell IEM's off).

May 17, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #79,043 of 106,715
Everything I've been hearing and reading about the Quartet, makes me think this is the bass-focused IEM I've been looking for (with bass switch on), at a low price.

This guy is pretty funny, using meme clips in his reviews. :sweat_smile:

I’m 2 days in on my set and the resolution of the BA’s is sub optimal. Vocals come across crunchy at times. Otherwise they are fantastic but a little “stuffy”. Had they been $150 or $175 with a better controlled bass presentation and higher quality BA’s they’d instantly take over $100-200 range for me.

4/5 for me but I’m glad I picked up this set so far based on the early impressions.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #79,044 of 106,715
The only reason I got the Quartet is because I have the previous Kiwi Ears releases, and I did do the $1.00 reserve for the $10.00 discount, but that will be the last purchase you see from me in awhile (unless I sell IEM's off).

Let me know in a few weeks or so what you're next upgrade is haha. This hobby is a sickness

May 17, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #79,045 of 106,715
I’m 2 days in on my set and the resolution of the BA’s is sub optimal. Vocals come across crunchy at times. Otherwise they are fantastic but a little “stuffy”. Had they been $150 or $175 with a better controlled bass presentation and higher quality BA’s they’d instantly take over $100-200 range for me.

4/5 for me but I’m glad I picked up this set so far based on the early impressions.
Got any sets to compare with? Mine are also on the way, probably not here before next week.

May 17, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #79,046 of 106,715
IMO, yes and no, more leaning towards no. Depending on your budgeted fun money, 10 might’ve been a bit excessive. But it’s better to find your playback preferences on budget friendly offerings, versus jumping head first into a $320 option (like the Blessing 3) and then finding it to not be to your tastes.

There’s no way to know whether you prefer:
1. A DD base, vs. a BA base
2. Single DD, vs. hybrid
3. One manufacturer‘s target over others
4. . . .
without experiencing them for yourself.

It took me a couple of years (and regrettably more $$$ than I wish disclose) to put the sub $100 offerings in my rear view mirror. But that’s not to say that I don’t occasionally dabble in that pool (KZ PR2).

Good luck
In other words, suitable options can be tried, but without exaggeration. i still don't understand why pr 2 has caught the attention of the audiophile world.

May 17, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #79,047 of 106,715
Revel in your Whizzer flagship Kylin He03l, (seems like I set I'd like). First step you already took, recognizing you over bought, and knowing the Kylin competes with $200 sets. Pause buying for 6 months, and wait for a game changer.
Yes, I put the budget experiments on the shelf unless they are very interesting models. thanks!

May 17, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #79,048 of 106,715
Yes, thank you everyone for the good ideas. I knew the shortcomings of salnotes dioko, why didn't you like cra? I haven't tried it but so many use it, my next choice might be a planar tangzu zeitan wu.
The original Zetian Wu won't be around for much longer, as it's out of production. Good IEM, one of my favorites!:L3000:

May 17, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #79,049 of 106,715
The upside of the Dioko for me was it let me know how much detail there was to be had with planar IEMs. So it did let me know I wanted one in my daily rotation, but I wish I could've used that money on the Quartet instead. I'm lucky that I'm in a position where I can make a $100 mistake, tho. Because it's unlikely I'll ever be able to sell it. At this point I don't really want to, either, it's kind of a memento of mistakes made.

The CRA doesn't have nearly the clarity and detail of the Zero, Wan'er, Zero, Khan, etc. And I could very clearly hear it after listening to the Dioko for a while ironically. And I think I got the updated CRA with the silent redesign that might make it a little bit worse? Hard to tell, but I only snagged it because people use it as an example frequently so it felt like getting a good grounding of what budget IEMs sounded like a while back.

But the Zero blew it out of the water for 7-8 dollars more? Yeah, I really don't see myself using it again. Every now at then I'll bust out the Zero for a lightweight change of pace compared to the heft of the Heydays.
People were often talking about the clarity of the cra, I know what you're talking about. Changing cra packages and discussion of whether the two cras are of the same quality.

May 17, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #79,050 of 106,715

Users who are viewing this thread

Back