The discovery thread!
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #77,056 of 100,355
- Noble Kaiser Encore (Perfect tuning for me - iem gets out of the way and I listen to the music)
- Tri i3 pro (great for chilling and with a bit of extra low end. Silver cable opened them up a bit, else might not have made the list)
- Hiby Hela (great synergy for on the go with the RS2, quite addictive.)

My IMR Ozar is still burning in and will probably replace the Hela on this list fairly soon.
1) I totally agree the Noble Audio Kaiser 10 Encore Universal with the Totem cable is my end game. Though FR is totally not even, or complete or correct.......in output. It just shows how something strange yet super well-rounded can achieve a style of greatness? The problem with the Encore is I have spent way too much time with it to have any objectivity, so don’t follow my lead here!

2) The Sony IER-Z1R is maybe number 2..........but on some days number 1? Really it’s the most real (sounding) IEM I have so far.

3) This is too confusing?

1 and 2 end-up complementary in nature.
This is a thread about discoveries, but still let's ask. I know that I have way to many IEMs and never enough time for all of them.

If you could only own 3 IEMs what would it be?

Pick from the ones you own instead of dream IEMs. Can let it run over weekend and add them up in a list, I know similar polls like this is done in WC thread. But I bet there will be a different data from this thread, and IMO the best thread in Head-Fi 👌💯

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #77,057 of 100,355
Penon Serial is legit. It has that warm vintage sound reminiscence of old speakers from the pre-90s era. Old school if you will but with a modern twist as its not muddy or boomy. It has smooth highs, well textured bass, romantic mids, natural timbre but most of all its fun, engaging and musical all at the same time.20230403_235530.jpg
Thanks for the input!

I will put Serial on my watchlist✌️

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #77,058 of 100,355
Penon Serial is legit. It has that warm vintage sound reminiscence of old speakers from the pre-90s era. Old school if you will but with a modern twist as its not muddy or boomy. It has smooth highs, well textured bass, romantic mids, natural timbre but most of all its fun, engaging and musical all at the same time.20230403_235530.jpg
Any cable works well with it, other than the hideous (to my taste) Penon Vocal (in the photo)?
How about its stock cable? I am trying to stay with stock or (in case of the Serial) cable that cost $100 or less...

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #77,059 of 100,355
Man…Penon Serial looks so popular among very obvious choices like ones for AuR and SoundRhyme, hmmm I must resist😭
If you haven't listened to the FAN2 you must. For me the Serial had the Penon Vocals but missed the Attack speed and impact or of driver or two that was .... truly special 2x 6mm to be exact for the Fan2 and Sonion Mids and Knowles highs.

Where the Globe and Serial went down a warmer darker path, Fan2 went full balanced across the board.

Wonderfully done been awhile since a IEM makes me get up early and stay up late with a huge grin all the time.

Penon out did themselves on this on.
Best Penon to date!

A hint of warmth.
Impact bass speeds like a berri driver
Vocals bang on balanced in the mix. Neither forward nor recessed.
Great sense of Stage.
Technical Chops.

Just plain musical.

I don't hear the FAN2 I just hear music.
Resistance is futile!

Attachments

• 20230421_122439.jpg
    20230421_122439.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 11916341.jpeg
    11916341.jpeg
    652.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 11916339.jpeg
    11916339.jpeg
    502.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #77,061 of 100,355
Any cable works well with it, other than the hideous (to my taste) Penon Vocal (in the photo)?
How about its stock cable? I am trying to stay with stock or (in case of the Serial) cable that cost $100 or less...
Silver works well if want more details and transparency. Copper for full body and warmth. Xinhs, NiceHck, or any Penon/ISN cable will work well with the Serial.

I prefer Wagnus, specifically Olvarium x Solarflare which are copper and silver plated copper so it adds more to that warm, analog, natural, vocal sound.
20230207_201918.jpg

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #77,062 of 100,355
What about the Subtonic Storm? I thought that was all the summit-fi rage lately.
$5,200?! PASS!! That's half the down payment on the Sennheiser HE-1, which I'd pick up if I was one of these wealthy folks in the WC page :wink:

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #77,063 of 100,355
If you haven't listened to the FAN2 you must. For me the Serial had the Penon Vocals but missed the Attack speed and impact or of driver or two that was .... truly special 2x 6mm to be exact for the Fan2 and Sonion Mids and Knowles highs.

Where the Globe and Serial went down a warmer darker path, Fan2 went full balanced across the board.

Wonderfully done been awhile since a IEM makes me get up early and stay up late with a huge grin all the time.

Penon out did themselves on this on.
Best Penon to date!

A hint of warmth.
Impact bass speeds like a berri driver
Vocals bang on balanced in the mix. Neither forward nor recessed.
Great sense of Stage.
Technical Chops.

Just plain musical.

I don't hear the FAN2 I just hear music.
Resistance is futile!
Thanks, yea I will keep my eyes on Fan2 as well👍

Just posted my very first review, and it’s Neon Pro:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aür-audio-neon-pro.26395/review/30660/

Enjoy!
Oh hey bro! I recall your name seeing on many threads. Congratulations for your first review and as Neon Pro stan, I’m glad to see NP motivated you enough to actually having yourself on the official review! Great review!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #77,064 of 100,355
Thanks, yea I will keep my eyes on Fan2 as well👍

Oh hey bro! I recall your name seeing on many threads. Congratulations for your first review and as Neon Pro stan, I’m glad to see NP motivated you enough to actually having yourself on the official review! Great review!
Thank You, that wasn’t difficult, more problematic was to overcome social anxiety and fear😂

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #77,065 of 100,355
Goodbye to half a day figuring this one out!
Your welcome my friend :beerchug:

Man…Penon Serial looks so popular among very obvious choices like ones for AuR and SoundRhyme, hmmm I must resist😭

Its for a reason, seems like many who has one like it as much as their more expensive sets. I come back to it every other day, its a good set to have beside the more clean sounding BAs.

Thanks for the input!

I will put Serial on my watchlist✌️

The Penon Mix is a very good pairing with Penon Serial, its half silver and half copper. Closer to a silver than copper, maybe not weird as silver is more conductive than copper. Retain the low end impact, and opens it up some on top.

DSCF2317 (Large).jpg

DSCF2246.jpg

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #77,066 of 100,355
C7987C46-6F1C-4EE3-B1B6-5E98091A8E9B.jpeg

Kiwi Quartet has 2 tuning switches 👀

Now some ODMs selling those switches must be happy😏

Anyway…that switches reminds me of…StarRiver😇

Hopefully this time we get 4 actual tunings…

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #77,067 of 100,355
The CS819 is the cable that comes with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock cable.

https://penonaudio.com/penon-cs819.html

And while ergonomic and built well, it does show the Serial character. I have spent many hours with the CS819 discovering its character and while an even and correct cable, there are avenues to go with the Serial to explore further. I would say the CS819 is just slightly warm, yet totally even/complete and correct.

Read my review of the Serial to learn about extra cables. Also the new Space is maybe one of the best new cables for the Serial, which came out after the Serial review! If you want a more detailed and brighter rendition go with the Mix 3-in-1. But as a whole the Serial has a lot of ways it can sound! IMO......and still be correct.

Cheers! :)

Edit:
The Space makes the Serial bigger and more in every direction, as it is copper/silver mix, but the pure amount of internal wire the Space adds creates soundstage and imaging. It is many people’s favorite with the Serial! Where with the Space 3-in-1 the Serial never gets a tone change, only technicalities are altered.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #77,068 of 100,355
The CS819 is the cable that comes with it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock cable.

https://penonaudio.com/penon-cs819.html

And while economic and built well, it does show the Serial character. I have spent many hours with the CS819 discovering its character and while an even and correct cable, there are avenues to go with the Serial to explore further. I would say the CS819 is just slightly warm, yet totally even/complete and correct.

Read my review of the Serial to learn about extra cables.Also the new Space is maybe one of the best new cables for the Serial, which came out after the Serial review! If you want a more detailed and brighter rendition go with the Mix 3-in-1. But as a whole the Serial has a lot of ways it can sound! IMO......and still be correct.

Cheers! :)

Edit:
The Space makes the Serial bigger and more in every direction, as it is copper/silver mix, but the pure amount of internal wire the Space adds creates soundstage and imaging. It is many people’s favorite with the Serial!
One of the best looking cables I’ve seen in the price range.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #77,069 of 100,355
This is a thread about discoveries, but still let's ask. I know that I have way to many IEMs and never enough time for all of them.

If you could only own 3 IEMs what would it be?

Pick from the ones you own instead of dream IEMs. Can let it run over weekend and add them up in a list, I know similar polls like this is done in WC thread. But I bet there will be a different data from this thread, and IMO the best thread in Head-Fi 👌💯
1. EA500
2. Tri i3 Pro
3. My next purchase if I can ever decide.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #77,070 of 100,355
One of the best looking cables I’ve seen in the price range.
You mean the CS819? It’s interesting as it gets respect for being truthful yet adding a slight density. Meaning I just used it in my IMR BC 2023 review, as a low cost alternative to the included cable. Where it does add a slight bit of warmth, it’s still well balanced, even and complete. Where I chose it too because it would be a good cable for nozzle change-outs, due to it’s honesty. But some want the Serial to have a brighter and expanded soundstage, with better imaging and pace. That would maybe be the Mix? There really is a few choices there. I mean some want the replay altered and are seeking alternative ways of hearing an IEM. Some cables seem to offer a correct replay but airy, like the stock IMR BC 2023. Where to me stock is a little too airy and bland, that’s using the black nozzle. Where it could be my DAP and hearing, but I’m pretty sure most would hear the IMR BC 2023 this way? As there is nothing wrong with the stock cables in this situation cuz you can change nozzles. But the CS819 is really a good choice (with the IMR BC 2023) and deserves respect beyond its humble price point. IMO

The only thing is when you do back to back comparisons with the CS819 to the Penon Space, you will realize the Serial can change the size of it’s imaging drastically!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back