The discovery thread!
Feb 7, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #72,166 of 104,634
tough that bass curve is rather new for KZ, are they trying to do the latest bass to mid tuck-in trend via normal tuning or just trying to compensate for the open back?
Probably a combination of the open-back and the smaller driver. It's a 6-8mm driver? Needs more amplitude to push the amount of bass a 10mm driver can

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #72,167 of 104,634
New colour for the hypetrain Tangzu Wan'er, green dragon wicked design. Called the "Hidden Dragon"?

Comes with new artwork too . Internals and tuning is not changed from the original version.

Releases May 2023. Though I think by the time it comes online, a whole landfill worth of budget hypetrains would have already filled our drawers and mailboxes LOL.

329207071_1170981513553933_3757798645893702021_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/tangzuaudi...RWJqfXb8Vth4dJ8DZLnUiWq8giQvseE7WaJN8WheDzz6l

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #72,168 of 104,634
New colour for the hypetrain Tangzu Wan'er, green dragon wicked design. Called the "Hidden Dragon"?

Comes with new artwork too . Internals and tuning is not changed from the original version.

Releases May 2023. Though I think by the time it comes online, a whole landfill worth of budget hypetrains would have already filled our drawers and mailboxes LOL.

https://www.facebook.com/tangzuaudi...RWJqfXb8Vth4dJ8DZLnUiWq8giQvseE7WaJN8WheDzz6l
Nice design IMO. They said it was coming in May.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #72,170 of 104,634
Yeah it's rather long wait for a color way on already released product, weird they didn't wait to 1 week before or something.

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #72,171 of 104,634

Come on now release the shimin li collab already

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #72,172 of 104,634
Please take care of your mom, review can wait.

Just moving ahead with your views here, my ZX707 sounds quite good, especially love its rich tonality. Although it can't match the SE200 in terms of resolution and details, so I have ended up with two high-end players now and I can't decide which one to sell :/
You can't decided before burning in the 707 for 200 hours 😊

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #72,173 of 104,634
He gives impressions of a couple of Penon sets in his "bag of iems" video.
Not in his

I try my $9,000 bag of IEMs​

or

I torture myself with more Chinese IEMs​

unless it's in an unmarked segment of the videos. So where does he talk about Penon or ISN IEMs?

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #72,174 of 104,634
Been trying to see if I can find something I like to use the HOLA for, one good thing here is the safe tuning. It's a set that goes very well with bright recordings or just energetic saxophone in jazz. At the same time I lack the upper mid energy I personally enjoy, but this is something that can make certain records not so great or unpleasant to listen to.

Also since its so easy to drive, it sounds quite good straight out from the PS5 controller as a gaming IEM. Also tried some warzone/pubg (first person shooters) and it works quite good at picking up where sounds come from, has enough bass to make none competive games fun also.

The cost also helps, no worry to just throw it with the controller in drawer.
Considering 80%+ of HOLA sales may go Asian Market where you see mostly high pitched(one example of smash hit modern J-pop)

HOLA handles peaky ”full sound pressure” tracks like those very well.

Aria OG is designed same way but the native driver of Aria somehow had bigger native driver spikes than HOLA, resulting further filtering to fit to the curve with a cost of timbre inconsistency.

HOLA has less inconsistency when compared to Aria OG, but even after full burn-in cycle, I still see 2khz and 4khz‘s last tail of transient response with some unnatural anti-alias like rounded edge, it may cost a tiny but of imaging accuracy in a synthetic listening mode(see below), and may generate “I don’t know why but this timbre doesn’t sound right to me” ish uneasiness.

Original Post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17382124

5. Pitch one -dimensionality and circularity
Although pitch is defined as a one -dimensional property, it has
long been pointed out that pitch cannot be explained simply by one
-dimensional properties, and the helical structure of pitch has been
suggested. Figure 7 shows how the pitch rises spirally as indicated by
the arrow as the frequency rises. In other words, the pitch has both a
vertical character and a one -octave cyclical character. The former is
called tone height or pitch height, and the latter is called tone chroma
or pitch class. This model holds roughly between 30 and 4,000 Hz. Above 4,000 Hz, the sense of tone chroma diminishes and melody
composition becomes difficult [15, 16]. Therefore, the combination of
tone chroma and tone height (sometimes tone chroma alone) is sometimes called musical pitch or melodic pitch. Note that, in Figure
7, tones with the same cyclical position (musical tones whose fundamental frequency differs by 2n times (n: an integer)] belong to the
same pitch class and have the same pitch name (C, D, E, etc.). Tone
height is often treated as one of the elements of tone color (brightness, hardness, sharpness, etc.), but in Japan it is sometimes called tonal
pitch. Based on various physiological experimental data and
experimental data on pitch perception, it was found that musical pitch
is generated by temporal information such as the spike interval of the
auditory nerve, and that timbre pitch is generated by the base.

6. Synthetic and analytical listening
When we hear a musical instrument such as a violin or flute, we usually perceive a single pitch equal to the pure tone corresponding to
the fundamental frequency. But if you focus your attention on a particular partial, you may be able to hear it. The former listening mode
is called synthetic listening
, and the pitch perceived in that mode is
called synthetic pitch or composite pitch. On the other hand, the latter listening mode is called analytic listening, and the pitch in that mode is
called analytic pitch or partial pitch. But we don't always perceive the
overall pitch when casually listening to complex tones.

Smoorenburg in the Netherlands carried out an experiment for the
case of binary complex tones consisting of higher harmonics [17]. The
first tone consists of f1 = 1,750 Hz and f2 = 2,000 Hz, and the second
tone consists of f1 = 1,800 Hz and f2 = 2,000 Hz. We asked 84
listeners to judge which one felt higher (which one had higher pitch).
The results showed that 35 judged the first tone high, 32 judged the
second tone high, and the remaining 17 judged inconsistently. Listeners
who judged the first tone to be high performed comprehensive listening
focusing on the fundamental frequency component (missing
fundamental), and listeners who judged the second tone to be high
performed analytical listening focusing on partials. can be interpreted
as having
Hartmann of the United States conducted a pitch judgment
experiment in the classroom between two - component composite
tones in which the first tone consists of f1 = 750 Hz and f2 = 1,000 Hz,
and the second tone consists of f1 = 800 Hz and f2 = 1,000 Hz. [18] .
The results showed that 14 people judged the first tone high and 114
people judged the second tone high, far more than analytical listening.
This result is different from Smoorenburg 's result, but it is interpreted that Hartmann 's case has a low overtone order, which makes it easy
to decompose overtones and make analytical listening easier.

Feb 7, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #72,175 of 104,634
Anyone who has compared the Waner SG to the HOLA?

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #72,176 of 104,634
Anyone who has compared the Waner SG to the HOLA?
I’ve tried both. I like the tuning of the Hola a great deal. Waner is also good, but I was shocked at the quality of the Hola.

Feb 7, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #72,177 of 104,634
I’ve tried both. I like the tuning of the Hola a great deal. Waner is also good, but I was shocked at the quality of the Hola.
Agree.

Tuning wise I feel both are on par, tuning with notable philosophy behind them.

Hardware spec wise HOLA has better transient response and resolution, and linear phase matching (imaging focus).

Meanwhile, Wan’er SG has good vibe in mid-bass tonality, wood bass, contrabass sounds pretty amusing, only limited by Wan’er SG‘s physical limit..A better driver is desired, I do hope new Shinmin Li x See Audio inherit the mid-bass echo chamber of Wan’er.

Feb 7, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #72,178 of 104,634
Agree.

Tuning wise I feel both are on par, tuning with notable philosophy behind them.

Hardware spec wise HOLA has better transient response and resolution, and linear phase matching (imaging focus).

Meanwhile, Wan’er SG has good vibe in mid-bass tonality, wood bass, contrabass sounds pretty amusing, only limited by Wan’er SG‘s physical limit..A better driver is desired, I do hope new Shinmin Li x See Audio inherit the mid-bass echo chamber of Wan’er.
Maybe just my ears, but I feel that the Wan’er has more upper treble energy - air, resolution - when stock ear tips are used on both.

Btw, I noticed you also have the Truthear Zero. I found that the Zero’s stock small/narrow bore ear tips opens up the upper treble of the HOLA for me - gives cymbals, hi-hat a bit more clarity.

I don’t have the Aria OG, but I do have the KXXS, and find I prefer the HOLA tonality more.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #72,179 of 104,634
EDIT Wrong Thread, so here's a picture instead.
DSCF1637[1].jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #72,180 of 104,634

Users who are viewing this thread

Back