The discovery thread!
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #71,866 of 106,709
To continue the battle for $100, here is my humble opinion on the Dunu Kima.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/du...ynamic-driver-iems.26104/reviews#review-30082

Dunu Kima 22_r.jpg

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #71,867 of 106,709
Sony’s wireless open-air earphone.

Crowd funding style and it achieved 300 set goal it seems.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/off-ear-headphones-for-comfortable-running-sony#/

It maybe a good solution for jogging & cycling😲

It’s SONY’s project so at least minimum guarantee for crowd funding scams of which I‘ve failed to many of them and since then I‘d never touched crowd funding projects.

It’s likely an open beta project, upon completion (it already did ) we may see live commercial product launch someday.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #71,868 of 106,709
Jan 29, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #71,869 of 106,709
Not a stupid design for running, no need for microphones picking up wind noise. Only con is the low end probably.

Favourite for running for me is still the old Bose SoundSport, sits like a rock. And due to design don't block everything to much. Prefer cable also since I'm often running in the mountain or woods and if one side pops out it still hangs together with the other. Biggest negative its huge.

3730200.jpg

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/off-ear-headphones-for-comfortable-running-sony#/

It’s SONY’s project so at least minimum guarantee for crowd funding scams of which I‘ve failed to many of them and since then I‘d never touched crowd funding projects.

It’s likely an open beta project, upon completion (it already did ) we may see live commercial product launch someday.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #71,870 of 106,709
I still like GK10 though, and I’m not Penon follower in general, as GK10 is the only purchase for me from Penon exclusiv, and some other ear tips / low cost supplies.

GK10 is known for a premature QC issues, and tonal consistency lover will not appreciate the way it sound.

I left a lengthy review of GK10 on its dedicated thread.

GK10 is a one of challenge to cast a unique low cost tribrid IEM with all costs and resources spent on inside, and so little about outside.

I can conclude GK10 is a controversial IEM due to the mid-bass floor (mine set has relatively low floor, and I pushed even lower with ear tips to make it bright neutral) , and tonal consistency isn’t what you should expect but at the same time, GK10 is one of fun sounding IEM with wide diffusing field, not so offensive mid, nicely tuned piezo x BA sparkle, and ZS5 like 1 bass dd, 1 mid dd independently designed dynamic. It has less dampening process so each drivers will have its best sound pressure and transient playing at their best.

There is no way it could referred at natural or tonally consistent, however from the other side it sound like a carnival with dynamic details of full of high sound pressure, and also GK10 has micro detail very good imaging & wide range of dynamics, a unique experience you’d have.

People who love analytical and accurate note touch may avoid, and people who love musicality and dynamism may consider GK10.

What’s so special?:
Independently resonating surrounding reverb(mid, upper mid, treble) x independently separated bass-line(clear sounding but doesn’t bleed) x crystal clear upper sky = new sensation of highly separated lower floor and upper registers forming a new harmony, very unique & coherent

GK10 in one word:
“Feel the Air”

Noting there is a gambling factor in QC and phase match, as it’s made by an average auntie who never made IEM before, the first lot of production could have high scrap rate. Also stock ear tip won’t help GK10 at all, it will make bass too boomy, Bass tame ear tips are recommended.

Back then it was first IEM that hit on my Grade A, now with bunch of new highly potent IEMs coming out, I still see GK10 sits in solid B grade, where Salnotes Zero, CRA+, Chu, etc are playing around. So Cost to performance GK10 isn’t the one to consider anymore for 2023 market, as we have Truthear now.

GK10 is still one of great IEM to enjoy “reverb” and air it generates.
GK10 is one of my favourites. To me it is way ahead of the Harmanesque Chu.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #71,871 of 106,709
I can give you one.

Geek Wold GK10:

I read a "review" somewhere here from one of these Penon "reviewers". There were mentions of all the usual budget buzz phrases, "punches well above its price point", "way more resolving than you would expect for the price point", "competes with xx set at six times the price", and probably "competes with TOTL sets", which in a $50usd iem i should have been more dubious of.

Despite the love hearts, i blind bought (as you know we don't have much choice in this here in NZ) mostly based on this review, and was massively annoyed to find the GK10 to be an incoherent mess in ugly shells.

Terrible iem and i feel bad for the chump i sold them on to :/

Then again maybe they liked them. The subjectivity in this hobby is both a blessing and a cursed shield that "reviewers" can hide behind when they come out shilling.
If you have read comments you will find that there were some QA issues. This is bad, I agree and refunds should have been provided by company or seller. But for some people such as myself, there were no QA issues found (or only very minor) and it is the favourite IEM that provides an exciting performance. Easily my best value for money IEM. So GK10 is not a good example of reviewers hyping and pumping up a bad IEM. If reviewers heard the same quality I heard in my sample, then the positive reviews were truthful. Perhaps only the reviewers could be accused of not mentioning some QA issues but then some did I think even mention that.

I have no association with Penon Audio and have never formally reviewed the GK10. I don't personally know anybody who reviewed the GK10. I just know that for me it is a very good IEM. The negativity against it surprised me and still does. But I think the negativity comes from several places. Certainly QA issues at the start of the release will result in justified negative reaction and, of course, there is the subjectivity, the simple fact that some IEMs suit some ears and not others . But so too, I think the perception that there may be hype, or false advertising happening, results in some people reacting against the hype and damning the product and not the hype; and then we get people who are simply of a more critical frame of mind all the time and are harder to please, get disappointed more easily and are rarely satisfied with any product they purchase. So I don't think we should consider the GK10 a case of shilling.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #71,873 of 106,709
GK10 is one of my favourites. To me it is way ahead of the Harmanesque Chu.
You have made a very good point here. And much as the Harman tuning is complained about as boring or safe, people still really like IEMs that have this tuning. And there is very good reason for that. When IEM companies depart from that tuning they are immediately on difficult ground; how do they find a more exciting tuning with wide appeal and avoid the criticism from people who will really dislike the departure from the safe preferred tuning. Certainly deep V tuning seems to have been successful as many people get that it can be exciting and fun even if its not their preference, but diffuse field style tuning seems to be more difficult for a large group of people despite its appeal to many others. And that is just two common examples.

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #71,874 of 106,709

Hopefully it has a bottom end (i.e. bass), unlike this :p
0BEDA98C-FE93-49A4-9E02-F5D363EC5BAB.jpeg

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #71,875 of 106,709
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #71,876 of 106,709
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #71,877 of 106,709
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #71,878 of 106,709
Jan 29, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #71,880 of 106,709
Tanchjim Zero - First Impressions

Tanch Zero.png

Hi all, a bit late to the party, but I just received my Tanchjim Zero not long ago.

In short, I think the Tanch Zero is an exceptionally technical IEM for the price (keyword: for the price).

What you get for the price is really good. For $15.99usd, you get neutral bright tuning, clean flat mids, lively treble, engaging vocals, and very good technicalities for the price. Not to mention, they scale surprisingly well with sources too.

However, noise isolation is horrendous, bass performance isn't great (too lean and lacks fullness), timbre is a bit thin, and some might find the tuning too bright/shouty. Not to mention, the cable is non-detachable... so if the cable breaks, the IEM breaks.

If you already have the Tanch Zero and would like an upgrade, I would recommend:
1. the HZSound HeartMirror or Tanchjim Ola Bass (or non-bass) for around the$50usd price range,​
2. or go straight up to the Dunu Titan S for $80usd​
Will do a full review on these very soon. Thank you Hifigo for sending them over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back