The discovery thread!
Jan 17, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #71,296 of 100,659
Using xinhs at the moment. Need something bigger
I ordered three of these boxes. They are slightly larger than the hakugei sea-elf case, which in turn is larger than most other iem cases but not too massive. They are also very cheap and the quality seems okay.

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #71,297 of 100,659
Some new brand CHIFI has a tunable IEM for $79.99 USD:

JOYODIO SHINE​

1DD + 2 BA
4 tuning options

No graphs so far

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Hmmmm is that a KZ Starline eartip on this IEM?

KZ is that you masquerading around? We were just asking how come there are no new KZ pokemons in 2023?

https://www.linsoul.com/products/joyodio-shine

Seems we have a first review for this Joyodio Shine IEM:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/135840535288493/posts/495113569361186/

There are graphs there too, for the different tuning switches!

Jan 17, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #71,300 of 100,659
The Awful P5 has finally arrived.

First impressions: it’s certainly not awful. In fact, I’m in awe at the moment.

The resolution is wonderful, both macro (separation) and micro (detail retrieval).

The stage feels “full” and can be a bit disorienting with lesser sources (e.g., the unknown Dunu dongle that was sent as an apology for the delay) and complex orchestral pieces. Things open up nicely with Shanling M6U or my desktop K7. I suspect this slight congestion is a side effect of the 10k emphasis (for those juicy micro details). @Tzennn might be interested in this presentation.

Stage is certainly on the small size, even with the help of desktop-class source. Imaging and layering within that stage is very good. I’m not wowed, since I have been daily driving FF5 and FH15 lately, and those have excellent soundstage.

Bass feels “academic” It does not grunt and rumble (only) like Monarch, but I think FH15 has slightly higher bass quality.

Tuning is also quite “academic” I like this kind of tuning more and more nowadays. No sibilance or ice picks with Ed Sheeran’s or Bon Jovi songs. Cymbal splashes are a bit too splashy for my taste, again, likely due to 10k emphasis.

Another observation: they look very similar to the thieaudio V16, just smaller. Even the engraving on the body looks the same. The cable looks like a Xinhs cable with custom hardware. Very well behaved.

Yet another observation: the instruction manual features usual strange translations, but it shows quite a bit of love, given how Awful even teach you how to wrap the IEM to avoid breaking the pins.

Edit: seriously, if your IEMs are already alright, you should seriously consider a good source or a real desktop setup (maybe the most cost effective approach). All complaints about soundstage of P5 almost disappear with the help of M6U and K7. Almost.
Actually been interested in it, it literally what i want from my N3, slightly lower bass self, more pinna, better detail and better imaging (it have a really bad imaging, but staging is good)
graph - 2023-01-17T123000.603.png

Nitpicking things is precog actually rank them below Sony N3, so would love to see some comparision

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #71,301 of 100,659
Effect Audio Chamber, on the bigger side if you want a case that fit more. I have 3 to 4 IEM's in current rotation, adapters, cables and a small DAP in it👌
Expensive but worth it for me.
PXL_20221216_152656322.jpgPXL_20221216_152649866.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #71,302 of 100,659
Seems we have a first review for this Joyodio Shine IEM:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/135840535288493/posts/495113569361186/

There are graphs there too, for the different tuning switches!

err.. subbass rolloff, upper bass thick bleed, peaky (high chance shouty, and thin? pinna gain), no upper treble extension. even with switches, with all the cons i think starsea is better.. or just get Hexa..
I know graph doesnt tell the whole story, but based on 70% story.. its a nah

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #71,303 of 100,659
err.. subbass rolloff, upper bass thick bleed, peaky (high chance shouty, and thin? pinna gain), no upper treble extension. even with switches, with all the cons i think starsea is better.. or just get Hexa..
I know graph doesnt tell the whole story, but based on 70% story.. its a nah
I think that FR fits better for musicality lover, more technical chop from Tangzu Wan’er.

I love both technical / musical side, and this set is particularly leaned to the musical side, it fills the good blank position for musical & tunable sub $100 class I guess.

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #71,304 of 100,659
Actually been interested in it, it literally what i want from my N3, slightly lower bass self, more pinna, better detail and better imaging (it have a really bad imaging, but staging is good)

Nitpicking things is precog actually rank them below Sony N3, so would love to see some comparision
AFUL P5 with FiiO HS18 tip (M) = very contend all rounder pick.

The more you listen the more finding from P5. One of very satisfying IEM that you feel the money paid for the set is actually paying off

Jan 17, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #71,305 of 100,659
Probably USB DAC dongle from Tangzu,
no other info other than this teaser on their FB.
8567DB1F-466A-4F97-A28B-DEE6FEF5BCA0.jpeg

Bonus: probably we will see many LCP+PU entry level or even higher priced IEMs to be equipped with this 10mm driver.
9854F9EE-DB88-468B-A9DF-E50D07CFF19B.jpeg

D52034A6-D8BB-42A7-AD2B-D5CEA6F8D144.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #71,307 of 100,659
Effect Audio Chamber, on the bigger side if you want a case that fit more. I have 3 to 4 IEM's in current rotation, adapters, cables and a small DAP in it👌
Expensive but worth it for me.
PXL_20221216_152656322.jpgPXL_20221216_152649866.jpg
This is a great box. Ordered EA cables at Christmas and this box came with them 😁

Jan 17, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #71,308 of 100,659
I see, the aliexpress shop known for their Gentlemen series ,— properly Knowles (when directly google translated “Lou’s” )& Sonion (“SoundField” equipped) —, starting to offer somewhat sketchy High-end copies.

The price seemed a bare minimum, similar to what GS Audio is offering.
Hmm, very sketchy but they surely got good shell craftsmanship. My bet is that’s only driver & shell copy, not the tuning as I see no FRs for those. The one with FR looks terrible😅

PP8 copy

Vision Ears Copy (Dream Rabbit (D&R Audio) they call the brand )

Interesting but I guess it’s safer to bet on more legitimate shops like Aur Audio if paying same amount of costs for high-end drivers.

They also offers crazy Set ups like 4EST+10BA+1DD, implementation certainly could be easily questionable

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #71,309 of 100,659
I mean when you’re as deep in the weeds of the hobby as we are, you’re right. But people who only want to/can spend $20-50 shouldn’t be kept out of getting good sound because the price gatekeeps them.

It leads to a slippery slope of “where should the line be drawn?” We should be able to get quality sound at every price

Agree. Didn’t mean to gatekeeping of course. What I meant is there is little surprise that these ultra budget ones are decent. That’s no news. Unless some $10 IEM appears that knocks on the door of the likes of Blessing 2, and yeah, that’s the sign of a new era.

With that being said, I’m kind of off the hype train for these after the “CHU CHU” and the “CRA CRA” train due to disappointment, so I’m indeed ignorant of these latest offering :dt880smile:

graph - 2023-01-17T123000.603.png

Interestingly how I was not bothered by the excess energy around 6k. I need to measure my unit and see what’s going on. Might have something to do with the Shanling DAP that I use :thinking:

P5 is more sensitive to sources than many IEMs I have on my review desk at the moment. It’s spectacular when paired with G5 M6U K7, but not that outstanding with my BTR5 or the Dunu’s dongle, and absolutely a bore with my AP80 Pro X. To me, the success of P5 would fall on the soundstage, and because it’s such borderline between “meh” and “Good” that little changes can push it one way or another. Yeah, I know I sound like a BS “audiophile” here :dt880smile:

And you don’t have to listen to “snobby” classical musics or hi-res flac files to notice the differences. I spent hours with G5 (via LDAC) and P5 going through my favourite YouTube videos to hear what extra details I can hear. Of course, other IEMs in my collection are as capable (meaning I’m not saying that P5 is so detail-monster that is unheard before). However, it might be a by product of the tuning that this IEM makes background details (reverb, audience noise, backup vocals, etc) pop up and very noticeable.

It’s too early to declare a winner, but I am impressed by this awful IEM a great deal indeed.

AFUL P5 with FiiO HS18 tip (M) = very contend all rounder pick.

The more you listen the more finding from P5. One of very satisfying IEM that you feel the money paid for the set is actually paying off

Can confirm that HS18 S also works great. Deeper insertion means better bass and less spike treble.

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #71,310 of 100,659
Just when you thought it was safe to go on Head-fi, the battle of the 9. Yep, nine IEMs all priced $19.00-$119.00, battling it out for superiority. I can tell you that in a round about way they all sound relatively close to the same. While obviously there are differences, I mean two of them are Planar IEMs, but this will be a study in subtleties. While the best ones could be subjective of course, we will be looking for a style of objectivity, if even possible? Stay tuned this will take some time...............may the best IEM win!

L to R 1st row
TANGZU Wan'er S.G, TinHiFi T4 Plus, Kinera Pandamon
L to R 2nd row
TinHiFi C3, Tin HiFi T2 DLC, Kiwi Ears Cadenza
L to R 3rd row
TinHiFi C2, TRN XuanWu, DUNU KIMA

The nine.jpeg
I will be interested to see how you evaluate these, and how it pans out in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back