The discovery thread!
Nov 10, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #67,066 of 100,489
Moondrop Quarks DSP IEM:

$14.99 USD
6 mm DD

315206775_1311439016282725_9053148688994156822_n.jpg

1668087066090.png

https://www.facebook.com/MoondropLa...c4CXppHYd34wprov94Ca2aZfeSq9HBNsm89ar4U6eC4al
https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...-cavity-micro-dynamic-driver-in-ear-headphone

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #67,067 of 100,489
Nov 10, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #67,068 of 100,489
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #67,071 of 100,489
Nov 10, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #67,074 of 100,489
Early impression on KZ attempt on Harman curve on the cheap, KZ EDC-X is start appearing.
most pretty positive, most goes "average tech, good enjoyable tuning."

interesting things is, upon being points out by Practiphile in KZ Discord,

KZ rep response being,

Apparently the first salvo on the so called #KZTuners project is intentionally use the cheapest membrane, priced it under $10, but tune it good as take that to "exotic membrane shiller" that KZ rep hate so much...
Honestly, KZ is trying to do what Sony did with the MH series earphones. Using cheap ingredients to cook up something really exquisite. It's nothing new, MH755, MH750 and MH1 provide a working proof of concept unfortunately none of them are in production as of now. I'm excitedly waiting how KZ can surprise us with this EDC-X tuning

Nov 10, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #67,075 of 100,489
What have they done here? Just hooked a Type-C cable on the Quarks? or is there any other change as well?
Hopefully a built in DAC that perfectly suits it's tuning as the Quarks are not that great.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #67,077 of 100,489
So the NiceHCK NX7 mk IV finally arrived this morning. I've had about two hours of listening time with them. They come with three tuning screws. Gold, Black, and Red.

I started listening with stock cable (NiceHCK always includes a quality cable in their IEM's, so I rarely feel the need to cable roll), Spiral Dot tips, and DX170 DAP (The NX7 series never required an amp to drive and it doesn't necessarily scale all that noticeably with an amp).

With the gold screw, the apparent weaknesses of the previous versions have been tweaked and "improved" upon. @Surf Monkey touched on these in his observations. So the mids are fuller, the mid bass is most definitely lifted, and the signature is mostly harmanish with slightly recessed mids, bass thump, and reigned in treble (the air ain't there, but the stage has been widened. The piezo's are slightly tamed), with the bass and mid bass in particular allowed to flourish. The thin mids are all gone, but the mids have been pulled back some, like the earliest NX7 models. So those who like bouncy bass (still not much sub bass, so don't get excited about that), and a warm hamanish tuning, the gold screws will please you. Here's my observation about this. In the price bracket these belong to, there's just some stiff competition. The Zetian Wu sits in this bracket, and frankly, there aren't as good as the Wu, and the Wu's sound more upscale, just with less bass. The problem is that yes, NiceHCK worked on some of the complaints of earlier models, and fixed it in the tuning, EXCEPT imaging. The imaging is still very linear, and lacks depth. It's a very detailed and bass responsive sound with wider stage, but very 2D imaging. Had they taken the time to work on a more 3D stage and presentation, then we could say they matured the sound beyond it's price range. It would be a standout. But the dimensional presentation is exactly the SAME as the previous iteration. So instead of separating itself from the pack and bringing in new listeners, they will basically just get those who already own the previous version, as an upgrade on THAT. It's not an upgrade in the price bracket, where legends are made as well as money $$$$. It's a really good tribrid in the $100-150 price bracket, that will be really good for metal and hard rock fans, but for other genres, there's better options in the bracket.

I switched to the black screws, and this freed up the trebles, as well as added a bit more air up top. It also improved the timber a bit to my ears, as the highs are allowed to ring truer and longer than the more refined and reserved gold screw. It reminded me of the MK III, just with a little more stage. They still need burn in time, and to be broken in, because the mk III bass is much more refined and quicker doing an A-B, but that's because my mk III are beyond broken in. They are well worn. I'll be settling in with the black tips, as i'm just not a fan of Harman tuning in the treble region, and the red screws are bassy and designed for those who delight in a deeper, more bass excited presentation. Still, don't expect too much sub bass here either. The double dynamic drivers of the mk III and mk IV are tuned to work in tandem to provide incredible speed and punch to the sound and not so much one working on bass and the other on sub bass. Now it's there when sub bass is called upon, but it's not ever present or hitting low sub bass floors like the Salnotes Zero.

So i'll continue to listen to them after work and after some more burn in time, and then i'll check in with any further changes or refinements as we go along. OOTB rating? B. I like them. I enjoy them, but with some caveats mentioned above. So far a solid B rating.

Oh by the way, the stabilized wood face plates are BEAUTIFUL, but the shape and size of the shell are identical to the mk III, just substituting a metal removeable face plate for one that's stabilized wood.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #67,078 of 100,489
So the NiceHCK NX7 mk IV finally arrived this morning. I've had about two hours of listening time with them. They come with three tuning screws. Gold, Black, and Red.

I started listening with stock cable (NiceHCK always includes a quality cable in their IEM's, so I rarely feel the need to cable roll), Spiral Dot tips, and DX170 DAP (The NX7 series never required an amp to drive and it doesn't necessarily scale all that noticeably with an amp).

With the gold screw, the apparent weaknesses of the previous versions have been tweaked and "improved" upon. @Surf Monkey touched on these in his observations. So the mids are fuller, the mid bass is most definitely lifted, and the signature is mostly harmanish with slightly recessed mids, bass thump, and reigned in treble (the air ain't there, but the stage has been widened. The piezo's are slightly tamed), with the bass and mid bass in particular allowed to flourish. The thin mids are all gone, but the mids have been pulled back some, like the earliest NX7 models. So those who like bouncy bass (still not much sub bass, so don't get excited about that), and a warm hamanish tuning, the gold screws will please you. Here's my observation about this. In the price bracket these belong to, there's just some stiff competition. The Zetian Wu sits in this bracket, and frankly, there aren't as good as the Wu, and the Wu's sound more upscale, just with less bass. The problem is that yes, NiceHCK worked on some of the complaints of earlier models, and fixed it in the tuning, EXCEPT imaging. The imaging is still very linear, and lacks depth. It's a very detailed and bass responsive sound with wider stage, but very 2D imaging. Had they taken the time to work on a more 3D stage and presentation, then we could say they matured the sound beyond it's price range. It would be a standout. But the dimensional presentation is exactly the SAME as the previous iteration. So instead of separating itself from the pack and bringing in new listeners, they will basically just get those who already own the previous version, as an upgrade on THAT. It's not an upgrade in the price bracket, where legends are made as well as money $$$$. It's a really good tribrid in the $100-150 price bracket, that will be really good for metal and hard rock fans, but for other genres, there's better options in the bracket.

I switched to the black screws, and this freed up the trebles, as well as added a bit more air up top. It also improved the timber a bit to my ears, as the highs are allowed to ring truer and longer than the more refined and reserved gold screw. It reminded me of the MK III, just with a little more stage. They still need burn in time, and to be broken in, because the mk III bass is much more refined and quicker doing an A-B, but that's because my mk III are beyond broken in. They are well worn. I'll be settling in with the black tips, as i'm just not a fan of Harman tuning in the treble region, and the red screws are bassy and designed for those who delight in a deeper, more bass excited presentation. Still, don't expect too much sub bass here either. The double dynamic drivers of the mk III and mk IV are tuned to work in tandem to provide incredible speed and punch to the sound and not so much one working on bass and the other on sub bass. Now it's there when sub bass is called upon, but it's not ever present or hitting low sub bass floors like the Salnotes Zero.

So i'll continue to listen to them after work and after some more burn in time, and then i'll check in with any further changes or refinements as we go along. OOTB rating? B. I like them. I enjoy them, but with some caveats mentioned above. So far a solid B rating.

Oh by the way, the stabilized wood face plates are BEAUTIFUL, but the shape and size of the shell are identical to the mk III, just substituting a metal removeable face plate for one that's stabilized wood.

For what it’s worth, out of the box the “center channel” was anchored between my ears, making the whole presentation pretty linear, as you note. But after about 20/30 hours it’s moved more forward. I wouldn’t call them linear to my ear. They have depth and good placement/separation. It just isn’t as pronounced as it could be. I feel like the treble extended a bit more over time too.

Anyway, it depends on whether you subscribe to burn in or not. Typically I’m pretty skeptical of it but in the case of this set it seems to have made a notable difference in the overall signature.

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #67,079 of 100,489
Honestly, KZ is trying to do what Sony did with the MH series earphones. Using cheap ingredients to cook up something really exquisite. It's nothing new, MH755, MH750 and MH1 provide a working proof of concept unfortunately none of them are in production as of now. I'm excitedly waiting how KZ can surprise us with this EDC-X tuning
I see KZ as a gateway keeper, for the hobbyists and fledgling enthusiasts; I doubt that there’s a forum member here, that hasn’t purchased at least a fistful of KZs, during their infancy, into this rabbit hole of rabbit holes.

About two years ago one of the senior forum members started jumping into the KZ sub, to bash them for being like the Pinto car 🚗 of the IEM world. At the time, my knee jerk reaction was to think: good for you buddy, now please move on. But as I’ve spent more time (and more $$$ than I should’ve), I can accept that KZ is the Pinto; but I respect them for staying in their lane (<$75) and continue to offer new solutions. Some real and some with smoke and mirrors 🪞

I’d like to think that with sheer willpower, I can say that I’ll never buy another KZ. But if “Slater” was still around (to get into the weeds of what new, inexpensive drivers, like the PEK driver meant to the platform), I’d still be suckling at that teat.

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #67,080 of 100,489
KiiBOOM Allure (1 DD, $99)

Not the best glue job

Nice big box

KiiBOOM Allure frequency response graph (https://harpo.squig.link/?share=KiiBOOM_Allure)

First impressions

Now back to listening...see you later

Pretty!:astonished:

Want!:upside_down:

Wait on feedback... maybe next year? :rolling_eyes:

Was tempted by Elixir. Actually like the aesthetics on this better, similar to Hooke X and if it is even close to sound then interesting. As far as I recall Elixir had interesting composite diapragm, so I looked up both. This is layered Be/DLC coatings. Elixir is Be/CNT. Interesting!:thinking:

Who was stocking it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back