The discovery thread!
Nov 9, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #67,006 of 103,369
First thing - I am not really fond of planar. I listened to the Timeless, and while the technical performance was quite nice, ultimately it failed to get my continued attention. Read about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hertz-timeless.25394/review/27416/

Now, basically what I do not like about planar is how the midrange notes sound a bit thin and lack a bit of depth. The details are well reproduced, no doubt, but the difference between the planar timbre and DD timbre changes the overall presentation. Timeless had it, S12 suffered from it. With them, the primary difference that I felt, (disclaimer: this is completely my very own opinion, and if you feel what I am spewing is pure bs and no such things exist, I'm not gonna defend myself, as I can not realistically make anyone experience what I am experiencing), that the base of the midrange notes did not have that much weight, the middle part of the note body was slightly thin but quite detailed, and the trailing edge was pretty good. That lightness of the base failed to add that last bit of realism to the notes, so they felt kinda wispy.
Apart from that, the upper midrange felt a bit of uneven and slightly harsh, bright obviously. There was a slight metallic sheen to the whole midrange. The treble wasn't bad, but again a tad bit too bright for my comfort. The bass had a slight pillowy nature - where the subbass decay is less but the midbass notes have added body to make the slam slightly fatter and sound a bit more strong.

Because of all the above misgivings, I swore to myself that I would never get a Planar Dynamic IEM of serious value ($100+) as ultimately I will not be able to love it and will feel the money to be wasted. Although I have no idea if the high end planar dynamic iems suffer from the above, namely CA Supermoon. I will know if I can hear one, which does not seem to be soon. But anyway, I digress...

However, when the Gumiho came out, I was slightly interested. The SPD seems interesting, and the added BA for treble since the SPD is unable to handle treble region effectively somehow made me feel I might not hate it that much. The price point felt quite right as well. I contacted Celest in hope of being allowed to review one, and they were kind enough to send me a review unit.

When I put them on first with the provided cable, honestly, I was surprised and blown outta my wits. The midrange was vastly different than the previous planar iems - the notes have a very very nice amount of thickness - so much that initially, it did not feel unnatural at all. As time went on, I realised that the notes were lacking a bit of depth, and I started to notice the absence of the DD timbre very slightly, but honestly, I am just nitpicking here and overall it sounded pretty, pretty good. Despite the thickness, the midrange boasts a very high degree of transparency and a very clean background. The thickness adds a natural touch to the notes that sounds very welcoming to my ears.

The low end although had the same pillowy nature - slightly thick midbass slam and slightly fast subbass decay. The textures were quite good, throughout lows, mid, and highs. At least such bass sounds better than BA bass, because here the subbass rumbles still have comparatively better body.

Coming to the treble, well, since the day I became infatuated with DD, I started to not like BA much - but it mostly was centered on low and midrange. I always liked BA treble - they can have a sense of effortless details where the details are reproduced without making the notes sound forced or strained. However, in this process they can also make them sound a bit dull and the tonality might become a bit off - the way I felt it on Fiio FH5s, and Kinera Urd.
However, the BA treble of Gumiho does not seem to suffer from the negative aspects that much. That effortlessly detailed trait is very much present, along with an acceptable amount of brightness and the right kind of tonality to make them sound natural enough. This is where Gumiho differs from the pure planars like Timeless and S12 - with the latters the treble always felt a bit too striking and hot, with Gumiho I never felt uncomfortable, and yet not even once felt any detail was masked. Yep, it's unfailingly BA treble, but to my ears a quite pleasant one. However, I have to mention something here - with the stock SPC+Alloy Copper the treble was a bit too intense for me, hence I swapped it for a pure copper cable I generally use for on-the-go listening, and the result was fantastic. That is the one in the picture below.

However, not all can be said great about Gumiho, and the drawback is the stage. You see, Gumiho has a bit of forward and yet comfortable presentation - where the bass, mid, and treble all are equally emphasised, and hence the depth of the stage takes a hit here. Although the layering is pretty nice and so is the imaging, the stage is a bit flat. It extends very well in width and height, but not much in the depth - average at best. But oh well, for $50, I am not complaining.

Overall, I have an extremely positive initial impression of Celest Gumiho, and it will easy get 4.5 Star from me at $50 price point - a default recommendation.

20221102_153610~.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #67,007 of 103,369
First thing - I am not really fond of planar. I listened to the Timeless, and while the technical performance was quite nice, ultimately it failed to get my continued attention. Read about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hertz-timeless.25394/review/27416/

Now, basically what I do not like about planar is how the midrange notes sound a bit thin and lack a bit of depth. The details are well reproduced, no doubt, but the difference between the planar timbre and DD timbre changes the overall presentation. Timeless had it, S12 suffered from it. With them, the primary difference that I felt, (disclaimer: this is completely my very own opinion, and if you feel what I am spewing is pure bs and no such things exist, I'm not gonna defend myself, as I can not realistically make anyone experience what I am experiencing), that the base of the midrange notes did not have that much weight, the middle part of the note body was slightly thin but quite detailed, and the trailing edge was pretty good. That lightness of the base failed to add that last bit of realism to the notes, so they felt kinda wispy.
Apart from that, the upper midrange felt a bit of uneven and slightly harsh, bright obviously. There was a slight metallic sheen to the whole midrange. The treble wasn't bad, but again a tad bit too bright for my comfort. The bass had a slight pillowy nature - where the subbass decay is less but the midbass notes have added body to make the slam slightly fatter and sound a bit more strong.

Because of all the above misgivings, I swore to myself that I would never get a Planar Dynamic IEM of serious value ($100+) as ultimately I will not be able to love it and will feel the money to be wasted. Although I have no idea if the high end planar dynamic iems suffer from the above, namely CA Supermoon. I will now if I can hear one, which does not seem to be soon. But anyway, I digress...

However, when the Gumiho came out, I was slightly interested. The SPD seems interesting, and the added BA for treble since the SPD is unable to handle treble region effectively somehow made me feel I might not hate it that much. The price point felt quite right as well. I contacted Celest in hope of being allowed to review one, and they were kind enough to send me a review unit.

When I put them on first with the provided cable, honestly, I was surprised and blown outta my wits. The midrange was vastly different than the previous planar iems - the notes have a very very nice amount of thickness - so much that initially, it did not feel unnatural at all. As time went on, I realised that the notes were lacking a bit of depth, and I started to notice the absence of the DD timbre very slightly, but honestly, I am just nitpicking here and overall it sounded pretty, pretty good. Despite the thickness, the midrange boasts a very high degree of transparency and a very clean background. The thickness adds a natural touch to the notes that sounds very welcoming to my ears.

The low end although had the same pillowy nature - slightly thick midbass slam and slightly fast subbass decay. The textures were quite good, throughout lows, mid, and highs. At least such bass sounds better than BA bass, because here the subbass rumbles still have comparatively better body.

Coming to the treble, well, since the day I became infatuated with DD, I started to not like BA much - but it mostly was centered on low and midrange. I always liked BA treble - they can have a sense of effortless details where the details are reproduced without making the notes sound forced or strained. However, in this process they can also make them sound a bit dull and the tonality might become a bit off - the way I felt it on Fiio FH5s, and Kinera Urd.
However, the BA treble of Gumiho does not seem to suffer from the negative aspects that much. That effortlessly detailed trait is very much present, along with an acceptable amount of brightness and the right kind of tonality to make them sound natural enough. This is where Gumiho differs from the pure planars like Timeless and S12 - with the latters the treble always felt a bit too striking and hot, with Gumiho I never for once felt uncomfortable, and yet never for once felt any detail masked. Yep, it's unfailingly BA treble, but to my ears a quite pleasant one. However, I have to mention something here - with the stock SPC+Alloy Copper the treble was a bit too intense for me, hence I swapped it for a pure copper cable I generally use for on-the-go listening, and the result was fantastic. That is the one in the picture below.

However, not all can be said great about Gumiho, and the drawback is the stage. You see, Gumiho has a bit of forward and yet comfortable presentation - where the bass, mid, and treble all are equally emphasised, and hence the depth of the stage takes a hit here. Although the layering is pretty nice and so is the imaging, the stage is a bit flat. It extends very well in width and height, but not much in the depth - average at best. But oh well, for $50, I am not complaining.

Overall, I have an extremely positive initial impression of Celest Gumiho, and it will easy get 4.5 Star from me at $50 price point - a default recommendation.

Truly I wasn’t expecting the Gumiho to be as good as it was, but it’s an enveloping IEM. The added BA.....tones; actually I perceive the soundstage to be bigger than you, but I’m using wide-bore tips? Also I do also use a different cable, but that’s mainly to access 4.4mm. In a way the Timeless and S12 are stepping stones to this new planar future? I have not heard either, but have often read about their pluses and minuses. To me the Gumiho thrills due to the sound coming off relatively big, for such a little IEM, I simply can’t help but think the little Gumiho will fit everyone. Along with it’s low weight it owns a style of fitment, even though it appears to be a strange shape in the end.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #67,008 of 103,369
Truly I wasn’t expecting the Gumiho to be as good as it was, but it’s an enveloping IEM. The added BA.....tones; actually I perceive the soundstage to be bigger than you, but I’m using wide-bore tips? Also I do also use a different cable, but that’s mainly to access 4.4mm. In a way the Timeless and S12 are stepping stones to this new planar future? I have not heard either, but have often read about their pluses and minuses. To me the Gumiho thrills due to the sound coming off relatively big, for such a little IEM, I simply can’t help but think the little Gumiho will fit everyone.
Exactly this. Gumiho has such a wonderfully big and clean and refined sound, it's very hard not be pleased by it.

Truly I wasn’t expecting the Gumiho to be as good as it was, but it’s an enveloping IEM. The added BA.....tones; actually I perceive the soundstage to be bigger than you,
Well, the soundstage is big, but mostly in the height and width, and not so much in depth, although it is purely my own experience and your experience might very well vary. I have not tested it through balanced out yet.

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #67,009 of 103,369
Exactly this. Gumiho has such a wonderfully big and clean and refined sound, it's very hard not be pleased by it.

Well, the soundstage is big, but mostly in the height and width, and not so much in depth, although it is purely my own experience and your experience might very well vary. I have not tested it through balanced out yet.
You are totally right about the lacking depth contained. For me I’m a sucker for bass outreach, where finding a style of flamboyant “bigness” (in the bass response) has me forget so much about the lacking depth. But the width is pretty good. The BA sheen is slightly noticeable, yet at the same time it IS a BA, so that’s just what you get. Due to the price though, I feel guilty about nitpicking anything, really. I’m so happy to read more about the little Gumiho, as it truly deserves mention here! It’s one that I feel will offer many a surprise when they hear it, at least surprise was my reaction upon hearing it.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #67,010 of 103,369
Rolling along with the NX7 MK IV. I’m running them on the stock cable with 3.5mm single ended connection. I switched to AZLA SednaEarFit Max tips and I’m getting an excellent seal with them. The shape and size of the housing fits my ears really well. I tried all the nozzle filters and so far the default gold one sounds the best to me. I also have a balanced OCC cable on the way.

As far as the sound goes, I’m still below 20 hours but they’ve already opened up a lot. OOTB they sounded pretty tight and sharp. Over time the treble has smoothed out and the bass has become more refined. The stage? It’s fine. Plenty large. It could have a bit more depth, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that comes along with additional run in as the character has changed a fair amount over these initial hours. I suspect the dual Beryllium DDs are the source of the changes, loosening up and getting a bit smoother over time.

I really like the overall signature. It works great with metal, which was my target genre for these. They sound huge and crunchy with lots of definition. The bass is massive and sinus shaking but isn’t splashed all over the place. It’s sitting more or less right where it should be.

The one area these seem to struggle with is orchestral. They’re “boomy” enough to throw off the timber of the bass string instruments and you do get a bit of that BA ring, but it’s not especially pronounced. They can be tricky with spoken word too. I wouldn’t recommend these for podcasts. They’re too bright for that. Not sibilant but sharp. They need the lower frequencies active to balance out the overall sound.

So, again, these are evolving impressions. I’ll have more final comments after they’ve run in more.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #67,011 of 103,369
Aune Flamingo.
Great DAC/AMP!
Very good sounding, lovely, addictive and exciting. Quite powerful, reaches over 2.5V for 33 Ohms with no visible distortion. Very low output impedance, both OPA and TUBE output (less than 2 Ohms). Ultra-clear, large-print illuminated panel. Great design, remarkable finishes, adequate size and minimalist remote control, made of textured aluminium, very premium.

2022-11-09_221215.jpg

2022-11-09_221249.jpg2022-11-09_221256.jpg2022-11-09_221312.jpg

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #67,012 of 103,369
Aune Flamingo.
Great DAC/AMP!
Very good sounding, lovely, addictive and exciting. Quite powerful, reaches over 2.5V for 33 Ohms with no visible distortion. Very low output impedance, both OPA and TUBE output (less than 2 Ohms). Ultra-clear, large-print illuminated panel. Great design, remarkable finishes, adequate size and minimalist remote control, made of textured aluminium, very premium.

2022-11-09_221215.jpg

2022-11-09_221249.jpg2022-11-09_221256.jpg2022-11-09_221312.jpg
+1
IMG_20221109_232822.jpg

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #67,017 of 103,369
Can’t disagree with hard facts.

But I would want to address that $300 $400 - $999 gap. I'm going to use dining out, to exemplify that gap. Because as you point out, there are diminishing returns, when you hit higher monetary tiers, in regards to IEMs.
Breakfast, < $50
Brunch, < $100
Lunch (in Miami, Manhattan), < $300 $400 (gotta include IEMs like the Xenn Mangird Tea 2)
High Tea, <$1,000
Nobu, Salt Bae, El Bulli (R.I.P.), . . .

High Tea is a point of luxury that is attainable, with some effort; it requires an environment with minimal distractions, a dedicated sit down time, allows you to unwind, with offerings that can be ethereal, yet still memorable.

If you didn’t just win 2 Billion dollars (U.S. PowerBall), for most of us, we would find our TOTL at "High Tea" :
Fiio FD7
Dunu Zen or Pro
Thieaudio Clairvoyance, . . .

I think this DayLight Savings time is messin with my lunchtime and influencing my thought process :ksc75smile:

Excellent analogy of the “high tea”! Those options that you listed are sure very luxurious but not unobtainium here in Australia. By all means, they are definitely very high-end product that deserves a quiet listening session.

To think about it, the price and perception of value of IEM is ridiculous. When I started, a A$200 FH3 is an uncomfortable amount. A$460 for FD5 or Blessing 2 is a lot for audio gear, and A$890 for FD7 is truely unobtainium, reserved for special listening time. After a while, A$500 range is normal, A$1000 is “midrange” and unobtainium is something like the birds and the jewels IEM. It’s not that I get any wealthier, just conditioned to get used to the ridiculous price.

Edit; okay possible exception of FD7, but feedback on that is still a bit thin!

C139145D-C180-4D23-8FEA-46388CD3EF18.jpeg

Some of my impressions:
  • It’s tuning is flatter than what you would expect from Fiio. The overall shape is Harman, but both bass and ear gain are only around 5db
  • What does that mean? It means when you turn up the volume to get the vocal clean and clear, and actually hear more across the spectrum. Think of the “valley” at 500hz and above 8k. Because the tuning is flat, when the 2k reaches listenable level, both 500Hz valley and above 8k are also very audible. As a result, the sound is rich and full of information.
  • The bass and treble are more than you expect from the graph. When 2k reaches listenable level, due to the equal loudness curve, bass and treble becomes quite loud.
  • Treble and bass are crisp and resolving. Noticeably above something like JD7 or FD5. The treble somewhat reminds me of IE900.
  • Bass is very punchy. The sense of dynamic somewhat reminds me of IE900.
  • Soundstage is usual for Fiio open back. Due to the tuning, singer does not stand out but meshed into the band at the background. Strength? Weakness? Up to you.

Because of all the above misgivings, I swore to myself that I would never get a Planar Dynamic IEM of serious value ($100+) as ultimately I will not be able to love it and will feel the money to be wasted. Although I have no idea if the high end planar dynamic iems suffer from the above, namely CA Supermoon. I will now if I can hear one, which does not seem to be soon. But anyway, I digress...

However, the BA treble of Gumiho does not seem to suffer from the negative aspects that much. That effortlessly detailed trait is very much present, along with an acceptable amount of brightness and the right kind of tonality to make them sound natural enough. This is where Gumiho differs from the pure planars like Timeless and S12 - with the latters the treble always felt a bit too striking and hot, with Gumiho I never for once felt uncomfortable, and yet never for once felt any detail masked. Yep, it's unfailingly BA treble, but to my ears a quite pleasant one. However, I have to mention something here - with the stock SPC+Alloy Copper the treble was a bit too intense for me, hence I swapped it for a pure copper cable I generally use for on-the-go listening, and the result was fantastic. That is the one in the picture below.

Very nice review, mate! You should post in head-gear so I can like.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #67,018 of 103,369
How about that Hidizs XO, are we on the same list? :wink:

XO3.jpg
EC891D52-3191-43B3-B20C-13DB54A64B67.jpeg

Look at the pink box at the bottom of the frame :thinking:

Nearly done with my review. How about you guys?

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #67,019 of 103,369

Look at the pink box at the bottom of the frame :thinking:

Nearly done with my review. How about you guys?
That's right, I saw your picture with the XO but I didn't comment yet, sorry. I'd like to know what you think about it. So I'll keep an eye out for your news. As well as about @Ichos' review.
My review will be ready for the 20th of November, if all goes well.

Aune and Hidizs are making some pretty good stuff lately.
This was really my first time with Aune. A reviewer friend with whom I exchange things let me have the Audio xDSD Gryphon and the Aune BU2. To tell you the truth, I was more surprised by the sound of the BU2 for the price/performance ratio than the iFi. When I saw the Flamingo I found its proposal very interesting. I know xDuoo makes a lot of tube amps. But the design of the Flamingo is really compact.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #67,020 of 103,369
I Can see DT600 at half price.
Am I right ?
Is it a good deal ?

Reviews are a bit of a mixed bag on this one:

Crinacle liked it, it's currently on his tier list with a B rank along a 1 star rec (Tone: B+, techs: B.)

RikudouGoku said it sucks without mods, his graph looks different from Crins.

Edit: They look more or less the same, I got the graph confused with the modded one.
Edit 2: I didn't realize this IEM comes with a resistor, I've never seen any IEMs come with this,.

Tempted to pick one up, it's SUPER cheap right now.

Alas, this IEM doesn't add anything to my IEM library other than unnecessary expenses LOL.

Which is the number 1 threat to achieving end game status.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back