The discovery thread!
Nov 3, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #66,602 of 104,401
Hi folks,

Follow up on the JD7.

Firstly, look at that beautiful channel matching (raw measurement, no smoothing). Let me remind you that these are single DD, not multi-BA. (The 8k peak is the artefact of my 711 coupler. The IEM does have 8k emphasise for treble sparkle, but not that much).
JD7.jpg

Now, let's verify Fiio's claim of Harman target:
graph-9.png

Yup, close enough with around 3db deviation entering around 250Hz (the "punch" region nope, wrong, 250hz is the "warmth" or "mud" region. Punch is 125hz.). The ear-gain is slightly pulled back as well, so I did not hear shoutiness. And look, finally Fiio gets rid of the 5k ice pick. I am pleased to report that sibilance is very well controlled, even with Ed Sheeran's equals album (boy that album is spicy).

One last thing, are you ready for surprise? Have a look: JD7 vs Blessing 2 vs Crinacle IEF target.
graph-10.png

Early, out-of-box verdict about tuning: very well-done. Vocal sounds full, clear, detailed, and just beautiful with this IEM. I went through some old Bon Jovi's hit and I kept going and going with a dummy grin on my face.

More graph can be found on my database (https://iegems.nk-tran.com/)

@ChristianM: this IEM might be what you are looking for.

Important note on source: I did the entire listening with Hidizs XO (pre-production unit). Think of it as a slightly more resolving but slightly less powerful S9 Pro. The special thing about Hidizs dongle is that they "round off" the treble and increase the soundstage depth. With the support of XO, JD7 (and other "well-tuned" IEMs like Blessing 2) have a stronger sense of space and depth and less shoutiness.

Out of curiosity, I switched back to KA3, which is bright, detailed, and kind of flat in presentation. My reaction:
disgusted-dog.gif

Shouty, kind of harsh, and the worst of all: 2D soundstage. Same with Aria, same with Blessing 2, same with other "well-tuned" IEMs. Maybe something wrong with my ears? That's why I don't usually like "well-tuned" stuffs :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #66,604 of 104,401
Hi folks,

Follow up on the JD7.

Firstly, look at that beautiful channel matching (raw measurement, no smoothing). Let me remind you that these are single DD, not multi-BA. (The 8k peak is the artefact of my 711 coupler. The IEM does have 8k emphasise for treble sparkle, but not that much).

Now, let's verify Fiio's claim of Harman target:

Yup, close enough with around 3db deviation entering around 250Hz (the "punch" region). The ear-gain is slightly pulled back as well, so I did not hear shoutiness. And look, finally Fiio gets rid of the 5k ice pick. I am pleased to report that sibilance is very well controlled, even with Ed Sheeran's equals album (boy that album is spicy).

One last thing, are you ready for surprise? Have a look: JD7 vs Blessing 2 vs Crinacle IEF target.

Early, out-of-box verdict about tuning: very well-done. Vocal sounds full, clear, detailed, and just beautiful with this IEM. I went through some old Bon Jovi's hit and I kept going and going with a dummy grin on my face.

More graph can be found on my database (https://iegems.nk-tran.com/)

@ChristianM: this IEM might be what you are looking for.

Important note on source: I did the entire listening with Hidizs XO (pre-production unit). Think of it as a slightly more resolving but slightly less powerful S9 Pro. The special thing about Hidizs dongle is that they "round off" the treble and increase the soundstage depth. With the support of XO, JD7 (and other "well-tuned" IEMs like Blessing 2) have a stronger sense of space and depth and less shoutiness.

Out of curiosity, I switched back to KA3, which is bright, detailed, and kind of flat in presentation. My reaction:

Shouty, kind of harsh, and the worst of all: 2D soundstage. Same with Aria, same with Blessing 2, same with other "well-tuned" IEMs. Maybe something wrong with my ears? That's why I don't usually like "well-tuned" stuffs :dt880smile:
In fact ironically I found guys on Jade Audio (that currently under Fiio) have better tuning target (or skill?) than mother company..
(Hiding before dave and his FH9 blast me off)

The JD7 looks interesting indeed.

Btw...
I guess its the same driver nature, they are using same driver so similar bass shelf, similar peaks around 2.5khz and 7-8khz, the differences are on the shell, resonance and dampers.. and the price (cough supermoon)

Btw I have KA3 too, and yes they are very good portable setup to accompany me while not feeling bring the M11 plus ESS.

But 2 days back i received the jcally JA3, it is very portable just like usb converter form 20x10mm size that you can connected to the cable all the time, and to my surprise, it sounded very good for the form factor, 3.5mm only though
Oh yeah it is only around 5 bucks
20221103_152351.jpg
This is how the jcally JA3 looked like, just like one third of my finger, very portable and I'm surprised from what this small and cheap thing can do. Decode 32bit 384khz, have good sound signature (little bit boosted on edges, little bit fun but not too much, slight warm side, not analytical but still got plenty of details,like dx160 characteristic).
It can drive my UM Mest properly. What a discovery for me. I've been reaching out this little beast this past few days rather than KA3 for daily simple portable use.
Give it a try just for $6. I think I'm going to buy 1 or 2 more to put in the car in case i don't bring any sources and put budget IEM there. Good for backup budget setup on killing time when don't bring source and earphone.

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #66,605 of 104,401
(Hiding before dave and his FH9 blast me off)

Too late, mate. I already hear him coming with 13.6mm DLC woofers :dt880smile:

FH9 is cool in its weird way, though. Kind of like JH Audio cool. Not very right, not very versatile, but the right kind of wrong, at least to my ears. (Still not buying JH audio, though)

Give it a try just for $6. I think I'm going to buy 1 or 2 more to put in the car in case i don't bring any sources and put budget IEM there. Good for backup budget setup on killing time when don't bring source and earphone.

Interesting. I will put them on my shopping list. When you mentioned these "dongles" the other day, I imagined they are like Apple dongle, not these little adorable thingy :dt880smile:

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #66,606 of 104,401
Is it like watching a car crash??
No embarrassment due to the PRO X doing so much right at such a cheap price! It’s truly great! Slightly dark, but fun!

During my PRO X review I mistakenly used at regular PRO graph, at the start, then found correction with the correct graphical representation showing a bunch of differences, they are two different IEMs. Graphically anyways.

51AC74B4-F4BF-48FB-8390-B3FC3B9F5F69.png
982B6758-EDEE-4B51-A600-BDF70F2D9120.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #66,608 of 104,401
Nov 3, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #66,609 of 104,401
They look like Symphonium Helios and Triton. The cable looks like the horrible ones that come with 64 Audio U12t :dt880smile:

Is there any pricing info?
Edited my post, seems like an 80USD IEM, also looks like a proper hybrid with sound guides and a printed shell.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #66,610 of 104,401
Nov 3, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #66,611 of 104,401
any one know the size of the nozzle? I had to sell truthear zero because the nozzle has to big for my ears and i couldn't find any confort with all the tips that i tried. Thats why that variations and blessing 2 are out of my equation too.
Guess we will know soon enough, looks the same as on the Zero though.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #66,612 of 104,401
SOME NEW RELEASES:

1) TRN Xuan Wu

In terms of namesake, it sounds like a pirated Tangzu Zetian Wu. However, in driver tech, it mimics the Gumiho Celeste Square Planar driver + BA config.

Let's see if it will be a worthy competitor in the Square Planar driver game.

314402749_663420225185555_2938209699297325380_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/headphones...JG3bkTD9LCgM33yi64t3KetDvtgysqAWwvk3SwxAwAv4l

2) For Salnotes Zero fanboys, they have released a new red coloured version:

1667478678219.png

Don't think there's any change in the tuning, just a different coloured shell.

https://www.linsoul.com/products/7hz-salnotes-zero?variant=43531256627417

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #66,613 of 104,401
SOME NEW RELEASES:

1) TRN Xuan Wu

In terms of namesake, it sounds like a pirated Tangzu Zetian Wu. However, in driver tech, it mimics the Gumiho Celeste Square Planar driver + BA config.

Let's see if it will be a worthy competitor in the Square Planar driver game.

314402749_663420225185555_2938209699297325380_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/headphones...JG3bkTD9LCgM33yi64t3KetDvtgysqAWwvk3SwxAwAv4l

2) For Salnotes Zero fanboys, they have released a new red coloured version:

1667478678219.png

Don't think there's any change in the tuning, just a different coloured shell.

https://www.linsoul.com/products/7hz-salnotes-zero?variant=43531256627417
Wow, square driver Planar.

Nov 3, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #66,614 of 104,401
This made me want to listen to my CCA C10 (OG). My niece got them for me as a bday present a few years ago and I think they're the best KZ/CCA product I have ever heard or owned and that actually includes quite a few of them. The C10 is a solid $30-$40 IEM and I find it to be an enjoyable listen.

As a matter of fact, I end up rocking them for about a week straight around Christmas time every year when my sister and her kids come to stay and I like it. Just don't tell the other audiophiles and companies or they'll stop selling me the TOTL stuff. 😜😂😎
This made me want to listen to my CCA CSN (which is not here anymore), the best bass production i have heard
Every now and then I would steal listens to me CCA CRA. It is my guilty pleasure iem!

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #66,615 of 104,401
NF Audio has a new IEM, the RA10

O1CN0130C0wX1p9EfcNobHH_!!3411805317.jpg

O1CN01slpAJ41p9EffJpQVY_!!3411805317.jpg

O1CN01WdmYI61p9EfhWuikY_!!3411805317.jpg

6 mm microdynamic driver.

Seems to be 309 RMB, which is roughly 40ish USD.

Just released on Taobao currently, don't see it on Aliexpress yet, maybe soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back