The discovery thread!
Sep 15, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #65,071 of 106,715
The shillings will never stop on Head-Fi long live Geek World GK10! 😜
Wold. Geek Wold.

My hot take is that most IEMs in the sub-100 range essentially offer different flavours of the same thing. They have to be built to a price, so there are going to be limitations inherent in the drivers that are available at that price, and one has to hope that the particular tuning can compensate for said limitations. There are exceptions to this rule, but if you want truly better technicalities (i.e. things that cannot be EQed in) then that comes with a cost.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #65,072 of 106,715
There are exceptions to this rule, but if you want truly better technicalities (i.e. things that cannot be EQed in) then that comes with a cost.

Or make a pair yourself using good components from Aliexpress :dt880smile:

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #65,073 of 106,715
So there are some graphs of the upcoming DUNU planar, the Talos.

There are switches to switch it between a pure planar mode, and a hybrid mode (planar + BA). Seems turning on the BAs adds some upper frequencies.

Talos.JPG

Talos 3.JPG

2 pin connector

Talos 2.JPG

Quite an interesting switcheroo concept for sure, adds some value-add compared to the hackneyed planar releases that are coming out on an almost weekly basis!

https://hifigo.com/products/dunu-talos

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #65,074 of 106,715
I wonder what the free gift is, on the 1st 100 orders?
So there are some graphs of the upcoming DUNU planar, the Talos.

There are switches to switch it between a pure planar mode, and a hybrid mode (planar + BA). Seems turning on the BAs adds some upper frequencies.

Talos.JPG

Talos 3.JPG
2 pin connector

Talos 2.JPG

Quite an interesting switcheroo concept for sure, adds some value-add compared to the hackneyed planar releases that are coming out on an almost weekly basis!

https://hifigo.com/products/dunu-talos

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #65,075 of 106,715

Lol, well in recent weeks I haven't seen a $19.99 In-Ear grab the public by the ¥%#&$*€+ the way the Zero has. Now all this is pure opinion; if something is good or bad or meh. But I'm simply curious have you heard the Zero? I think not. Your probably just going by graphs or something................like many uninformed do? That's fine, but to hear the Zero is a different story. The Zero IS special and unique in its price range. In fact (through personal PMs) I have fully/confidently recommended the Zero to those who seemed to be wanting what the Zero does. :) CHEERS!
You just called somebody else uninformed because they don't share your opinion. I'm not aware as to whether @InvisibleInk has the Zero. I have the Zero. It's good. It's fine. You might want to take a chill pill though, hype boy.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #65,076 of 106,715
I would just hope he heard them, that’s all.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #65,077 of 106,715
@https://www.head-fi.org/members/biggearhunter.408649/

No anyone who doesn’t hear the IEM and just reads the graph doesn’t know how the IEM sounds. I’m not trying to argue with anyone. Anyone can have any option, that’s fine with me. Accept having a derogatory opinion about the product, when you haven’t heard it........is all I’m saying. They can have any opinion they want. These are IEMs we are talking about, thus totally subjective, it can go a number of ways. Hope you understand?
The passive aggressive attitude is pretty silly and does nothing to advance the conversation. Even if I didn't have the Zero, your constant shilling is something that not everyone feels comfortable with and when that happens, it's rather lame to call them "uninformed".

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #65,078 of 106,715
You just called somebody else uninformed because they don't share your opinion. I'm not aware as to whether @InvisibleInk has the Zero. I have the Zero. It's good. It's fine. You might want to take a chill pill though, hype boy.
Don't take him seriously. Guy's probably hyped a thousand IEMs in the last few months since I've never seen him call anything bad. He seems to think that people who rely on measurements as beneath him. Can't also write anything concise and coherent. Basically, not exactly someone that screams 'scientific' and 'objective' and I would take any suggestion he gives with a grain of salt.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #65,079 of 106,715

The passive aggressive attitude is pretty silly and does nothing to advance the conversation. Even if I didn't have the Zero, your constant shilling is something that not everyone feels comfortable with and when that happens, it's rather lame to call them "uninformed".
Really, I myself am uninformed about anything I myself haven’t heard? So.....it works both ways.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #65,080 of 106,715
Don't take him seriously. Guy's probably hyped a thousand IEMs in the last few months since I've never seen him call anything bad. He seems to think that people who rely on measurements as beneath him. Can't also write anything concise and coherent. Basically, not exactly someone that screams 'scientific' and 'objective' and I would take any suggestion he gives with a grain of salt.
Oh I can tell, that's why I called him "hype boy" - if your opinion for everything is "best thing ever" regardless of truth then it's gonna be hard to take you seriously

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #65,081 of 106,715
Absolutely, take anything you read with a grain of salt by anyone. Graphs are fine, they can simply be misleading at times, and I absolutely don’t think that anyone who goes by graphs is beneath me. But graphs are only suppose to be a guide, and you shouldn’t judge an IEM by them, totally. Too many get sucked into judging IEMs by graphs.

If you look over at the “Rate the IEMs you’ve heard”..... I rate my collection in A,B,C,D and at times E,F.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #65,082 of 106,715
Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #65,083 of 106,715
Sep 15, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #65,084 of 106,715
I believe the main problems is the expectation. Either producers or the resellers when they sent a review unit to the reviewers, they usually expect good return, or at least more or less sth positive that the people who read that review will be hyped to buy them. Not all of them of course. There are the ones which takes criticism well.

When it comes to reviewers, there's pressure. Especially for starters that don't have a big audience. Even some of the very famous ones hesitate on criticizing some brands. I can analyze it. They do it in an indirect way that won't cause a conflict with producers or the reseller. The ones starting the journey and especially don't have money much to spend on usually tends to give very very positive reviews. Here's full of new head-fi'ers giving 5 stars to every single one of IEMs. I understand that. However, I'm struggling to understand others that seems to me getting quite a lot of review units and the grading goes from 4 to 5.

So, how am I gonna take it? What's the bad or good indicator? How bad is 4 stars iem and how good 5 stars iems if the average doesn't even fall under 4?

Some might say that every one them should be considered in their own league. I understand that.

Or some might say there are definitely many positive aspect of an particular IEM and somehow positivity is more dominant as the reviewer aims to those looking for a hidden gem and doesn't want them to miss.

However, the problem starts when you see more and more. Then from the reader point, for example myself, judgement starts. The more I see the more I take with a pinch of salt.

I really like when the reviewers can easily criticize and give a low point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back