The discovery thread!
Sep 7, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #64,876 of 100,498
Never thought of that, but you’re right! They (the two manufacturers) are apparently battling it out, with mass production of a particular sound. So far in my book TRN has jumped into the lead, as KZ never made a BAX. I mean that’s what TOTL flagships are supposed to do, give a stature and profile to a company, even if not everyone buys them. An example of just what the companies capabilities are. Even if some don’t buy the TOTL, it’s there behind the sales, adding credibility and dimension to the TRN profile.

Though the KZ AS16 pro really proved to be something for KZ. At least in my eyes, I had not purchased any KZ since 2016, and it showed they weren’t messing around. Adapter or not the KZ AS16 PRO made a statement and it didn’t cost too much. So in a way KZ pulled off a winner, I mean who would pay over $300 for a KZ? They have made there bed and now they can sleep in it. Still TRN also surprised everyone with the BAX, even though (some) people looked at it with suspicion! Lol
Back then we have,
KZ ZS10 Pro VS TRN V90 VS CCA C10

now we have rematch

KZ ZS10Pro X VS TRN ST5 VS (CCA contender still missing)

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #64,877 of 100,498
I carried out more EVO experimentation over the past couple of days by swapping the stock green nozzle filters for the brown ones. This apparently raises the upper mids and treble a tad:
CEAFD6A4-877D-43A0-A840-08C615930C35.jpeg

The changes are subtle and difficult to A-B test without having two pairs of EVOs on hand, but I think I’m hearing slightly more vocal energy and just a bit more treble presence. With the default filters, the EVO is tuned to resemble the ER4XR (warm neutral) but I think the brown filters tilt the balance back towards proper neutral.

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #64,879 of 100,498
I have high hopes for what's to come in the iem sphere. The nitpicks on products are still enough to make passes on them but measurements are getting really close to ideal shape, in general. I think 2024 will be seeing affordable endgame gear. Headphones have some catching up to do..
The headphone space just seems to progress reeeeaaaalllllyyyyyyy slowly compared to IEMs. A 25 year old model like the HD600 is still being held as a benchmark product today, and my Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads is my headphone endgame :wink:

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #64,880 of 100,498
I have high hopes for what's to come in the iem sphere. The nitpicks on products are still enough to make passes on them but measurements are getting really close to ideal shape, in general. I think 2024 will be seeing affordable endgame gear. Headphones have some catching up to do..
1662536537164.png

How old is this thing? still being used pretty consistently
along with the younger HD6xx and siblings.

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #64,881 of 100,498

The headphone space just seems to progress reeeeaaaalllllyyyyyyy slowly compared to IEMs. A 25 year old model like the HD600 is still being held as a benchmark product today, and my Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads is my headphone endgame :wink:

I daresay for IEMs, CHIFI has already surpassed and overtaken western brands in the budget and midFI arena. And CHIFI is getting there in TOTL IEMs with stuff like the QDC and DUNU gear.

But for headphones, it seems western and japanese brands are still the king. Well Moondrop tried to muscle in to the midpriced segment with their Void headphone, which didn't do well and had to be taken off the shelf and re-tuned. HIFIMAN seems decent enough, but there are many reports of QC issues?

Sep 7, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #64,882 of 100,498
I daresay for IEMs, CHIFI has already surpassed and overtaken western brands in the budget and midFI arena. And CHIFI is getting there in TOTL IEMs with stuff like the QDC and DUNU gear.

But for headphones, it seems western and japanese brands are still the king. Well Moondrop tried to muscle in to the midpriced segment with their Void headphone, which didn't do well and had to be taken off the shelf and re-tuned. HIFIMAN seems decent enough, but there are many reports of QC issues?
HiFiMAN is almost on it with regard to measurement shape, it's just the treble is stepped to death. I have decent hopes for the Void in balanced operation.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #64,883 of 100,498
So long as we maintain some variety in what's on offer. I'd hate to live in a world where your only choices were: strawberry harmon, rasberry harmon or vanilla harmon. All with bloody anime faceplates! :triportsad:

Sep 7, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #64,884 of 100,498
So long as we maintain some variety in what's on offer. I'd hate to live in a world where your only choices were: strawberry harmon, rasberry harmon or vanilla harmon. All with bloody anime faceplates! :triportsad:
Hey I'm all for harmon as long as it's in the same vein as the ER2SE but with better treble and bass extension. Seriously, someone tamper with that thing and make it perfect for me lol

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #64,885 of 100,498
Hey I'm all for harmon as long as it's in the same vein as the ER2SE but with better treble and bass extension. Seriously, someone tamper with that thing and make it perfect for me lol
I actually like Harmon tuning, but I like variety too. Music sounds different depending on what we listen to it with. Sometimes we find enjoyment in things outside our usual preference. Once we settle on one thing as the "Best" option, variety sails out the window.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #64,886 of 100,498
Back then we have,
KZ ZS10 Pro VS TRN V90 VS CCA C10

now we have rematch

KZ ZS10Pro X VS TRN ST5 VS (CCA contender still missing)
I do see how they are in direct competition with one another. Probably I’ll do a TRN ST5 review and find some comparisons, then when I do the KZ ZS10 Pro, review I’ll put it up against the TRN ST5.

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #64,887 of 100,498
1662536537164.png

How old is this thing? still being used pretty consistently
along with the younger HD6xx and siblings.
Right, Sony made the MDR-V6 in 1985, and discontinued it in 2020. I purchased it in 1986, I used it, as back then you simply used what you had, never truly loved it though. Too bright, way too bright, it sucks by today’s standards. IMO

Sep 7, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #64,888 of 100,498
Right, Sony made the MDR-V6 in 1985, and discontinued it in 2020. I purchased it in 1986, I used it, as back then you simply used what you had, never truly loved it though. Too bright, way too bright, it sucks by today’s standards. IMO
MDR-7506 is something i wanna try but its price in my country is a bit nuts
and many pointed out, not recommended for daily music enjoyments, its more for studio to hunt for "mistakes"
I ended buying ATH-M40x (as many become sworn enemy to ATH-M50x) and later HE-400i(2020) (ranked pretty well in crins list and have lower power rec to HE400SE or HE4xx)

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #64,889 of 100,498
Yes, the MDR-7506 is related, and yes they are monitoring headphones, and I purchased the MDR-V6 with home studio equipment and yes, I mixed with them, still...I never liked them, but they worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back