The discovery thread!
Sep 5, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #64,846 of 106,603
DSC00258.JPG

OK so here we go. You guys are the first to see an impression of the brand spanking new Fiio FH7S. So how are they?
Folks that was a fan of the older FH5s and even the FH9. The FH7S represents a mix between the two IEMs.

It does have some vocal forwardness but certainly not shouty. It seems vocal forward tunings is what folks like nowadays.
These remind me more of the FH9 more so than the FH5S in its tuning. The Shells are reissued FH5S design.

These are using two custom made for Fiio Knowles dual BAs. One set for mids and one set for the treble end. The bass is handled by a large and in charge 13.6mm DLC dynamic.
1662407643571.png

These are a balanced tuned W shaped sounding IEM. It presents with a large full bodied dimensional sound. Similar to the FH9 in that regard. Its stage is big, wide, bold and forward. Vocal lovers, be it male or female is gonna love these things. They somehow managed to tune these to project vocals to be frontal but is not harsh. It sounds surprisingly balanced to my ears. Its detail level is on point. Its treble has excellent extension, range and with a silky tonal character which is a surprise to me. Sound separation and general technicalities are a standout. It seems Fiio has honed down their skills for better treble tunings on their newer IEMS. I can listen to Rock and metal out of the box. Lol.

The FH7S comes with 3 nozzle filters, and it has the balanced filter installed. There is a bass filter and a treble filter. This balanced filter is excellent out of the box to my ears.

Bass end is tight and fast. Brawny when called upon. Fiio never tunes with a neutral bass so these are no different. Sounds like a good 8dbs worth of bass emphasis.

OK so I am impressed. These get remarkably close to their current flagship the FH9 but cost $200 less. It is Fiio putting out more value in their lineup.

Live sets on these sounds absolutely spectacular. This is yet another set where you have to hear them to appreciate what Fiio has done with these. Their graph they put out make them seem shouty with too much upper mid presence. It is upper mid forward but no way does it sound shouty and too much in your face. Its sounds remarkably balanced to my ears. Fiio did a great job on the FH7S. This is out of the box folks. Will give it a good work out to see how the bass end affects the rest of the sound after some run in.

Oh an their new tips.
1662408672694.png
\
HS18 silicone tips. The shells are very soft if not a bit flimsy. Very comfortable to use and does give a good sound but for my ears anyway the included Spinfit CP145 tips sound better on the FH7S. The HS18 tips are a touch short on the stem part. The Spinfits sit longer on the nozzle of the FH7S. I think this one will come down to ear shape. I think folks will like how soft they are with a moderate sized opening. I bet these will work well with IEMs with longer nozzles. In any case good set of included tips with the FH7S.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #64,848 of 106,603
Why does the Force 5 have lips??
1662412992085.png
1662413222525.png

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #64,852 of 106,603
Same as ever. Just a rebrand with cooler design
TFZ did a bit too many mild retune, TFZ King have like 5 sidegrades.
It still somewhat works for budget series like KZ/TRN because each side grades cost less than $30. But at TFZs $80~150?

It also stucks a bit too much to that one in house dynamics drivers that is now in every TFZ iems.
It need a bit more variety in setup to create interest.

TFZ has old greats iems but yeah, its somewhat monotonous which cause people to lose interest.
Too bad really, it have King-series for that deep clean Bass, old Queen for vocal forward tune, Tequila for that semi open back sounds...
It used to be aspiration from budget KZ users to buy TFZs (its placed in better glass shelfs in my local stores, while kz test unit lying around everywhere) but yeah, its fell off.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #64,853 of 106,603
Sep 6, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #64,855 of 106,603
This reviewer also said TANGZU Ze Tian Wu is the best planar

I love watching this guy's reviews. Concise, and his ears are very similar to mine with the matching IEM's we own. Plus he does in depth with explaining graphs.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #64,856 of 106,603
When I entered into the hobby about 3 to 4 years back TFZ was highly active with their "My Love" series of hybrid IEMs. Messy tuning, but good build, and fun sound.
I still have my TFZ Kings. Brighter than the sun, and recessed mids, and I don't ever use them, but they are in my wooden box of IEMs.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #64,857 of 106,603
I still have my TFZ Kings. Brighter than the sun, and recessed mids, and I don't ever use them, but they are in my wooden box of IEMs.
the one i bought is the king pro variant, a somewhat W shaped iem with relatively tame treble.
Considering i can't use ZS6 due to its sibilance, yet i could use TFZ King Pro all day.

The bass quality compared to ZS10 pro that i a/b it at the time (difference price bracket) is pretty significant. so despite more than twice the price, i ended buying one.
Its the first time i hear proper texturing to bass line something that zs10pro a fair bit behind.
The most popular at the time is the Exclusive King which have deeper V and great cable, but i prefer KingPro which are sold well below the USD msrp in my place.

tough after 2 years of harsh daily commute duty, it kinda crumble somehow.
the shell opened up, i glue it, and months later it open up again and cracked the 2 pin connector.
still usable, but i'm afraid that its bit fragile for commute now.

That being said, the mid especially the vocals is subpar for the price. Aria runs lap around it.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #64,858 of 106,603
the one i bought is the king pro variant, a somewhat shaped iem with relatively tame treble.
Considering i can't use ZS6 due to its sibilance, yet i could use TFZ King Pro all day.

The bass quality compared to ZS10 pro that i a/b it at the time (difference price bracket) is pretty significant. so despite more than twice the price, i ended buying one.
Its the first time i hear proper texturing to bass line something that zs10pro a fair bit behind.
The most popular at the time is the Exclusive King which have deeper V and great cable, but i prefer KingPro which are sold well below the USD msrp in my place.

tough after 2 years of harsh daily commute duty, it kinda crumble somehow.
the shell opened up, i glue it, and months later it open up again and cracked the 2 pin connector.
still usable, but i'm afraid that its bit fragile for commute now.

That being said, the mid especially the vocals is subpar for the price. Aria runs lap around it.
Yeah. I have the Exclusive King. Definitely deep V.

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #64,860 of 106,603
King 2 and king pro have a bit more W shaped so the mid is not as recessed.

It was great for its time, not sure whether it can survive the currents peers on its price bracket.
I think they will go the way of Havi and Vsonic and all the rest of those who came, had a hey day, and then went bye bye. TFZ will join them because they couldn't find a niche and legendary product and then maintain it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back