The discovery thread!
Nov 12, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #60,872 of 100,606
Biwired earphone? Interesting. But those passive filters...
Qudelix supposedly has an active crossover set that they're planning to release that uses the two outputs of the 5K simultaneously to handle the number of channels necessary. Seems interesting.

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #60,873 of 100,606
Looks nice, but will probably wait for first reviews.

TBH Tin HIFI has been kinda hit and miss in recent times. Like the Tin T2 Evo, Tin P2 and T5 weren't that well received. Not sure about the recent Tin P1 Plus that was just released as I haven't tried it, but even their T series favourites like the T2, T4 and T2 Plus have MMCX QC problems.

Good to see that they changed to a 2 pin config for this one, looks like the penny has finally dropped.
BGGAR quote on those "Blows my mind...I just trashed Tinhifi and now I try the best set they have ever made. Crazy...crazy.."
Though, it is just on opinion, I'd wait for more.

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #60,874 of 100,606
Qudelix supposedly has an active crossover set that they're planning to release that uses the two outputs of the 5K simultaneously to handle the number of channels necessary. Seems interesting.
The QX-over? On the market awhile now, reactions have been rather muted. The digital Xover only allows level adjustment between the 2 identical DD drivers handling bass and treble.

Hope Qudelix will introduce new IEMs in this vein with real digital Xovers. It's a promising new approach.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #60,876 of 100,606
BGGAR quote on those "Blows my mind...I just trashed Tinhifi and now I try the best set they have ever made. Crazy...crazy.."
Though, it is just on opinion, I'd wait for more.
Tin Hifi takes on LCP drivers, the same one in Aria.
Hopefully its SQ modeled either after T2 or T2+.
If it had T2 superpower of able effortlessly hear every sound in the song without cranking the volume up while have a little but more fun, it'll be awesome.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #60,878 of 100,606
This one is quite interesting and maybe practical. The crossover board is moved to that EQ thingie so the crossover can be adjusted by some variable caps or resistors. What do you mean by passive filters?
Caps, resistors and inductors are by definition called passive components. When used in EQs and audio filters they make for passive filters. These are inferior, no, nasty things as they cause phase shift between frequencies and distortion. Thank goodness for digital filters and EQ these days!
Amplifiers eg opamps are active components. Active filters incorporate amplification. Active crossovers are relatively uncommon. The crossover is done with DSP before amplification. Qudelix 5K can potentially do this, as it sports two amplified outputs per channel and DSP.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #60,879 of 100,606
Caps, resistors and inductors are by definition called passive components. When used in EQs and audio filters they make for passive filters. These are inferior, no, nasty things as they cause phase shift between frequencies and distortion. Thank goodness for digital filters and EQ these days!
Amplifiers eg opamps are active components. Active filters incorporate amplification. Active crossovers are relatively uncommon. The crossover is done with DSP before amplification. Qudelix 5K can potentially do this, as it sports two amplified outputs per channel and DSP.
I know what passive and active filters are, but since you sounded you have some reservations with the implementation of the passive filters, I was just wondering if variable resistors and capacitors are bad for IEMs.

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #60,880 of 100,606
Looks nice, but will probably wait for first reviews.

TBH Tin HIFI has been kinda hit and miss in recent times. Like the Tin T2 Evo, Tin P2 and T5 weren't that well received. Not sure about the recent Tin P1 Plus that was just released as I haven't tried it, but even their T series favourites like the T2, T4 and T2 Plus have MMCX QC problems.

Good to see that they changed to a 2 pin config for this one, looks like the penny has finally dropped.
oh, P1 Plus is definitely legit.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #60,881 of 100,606
His brain explodes so often ... I hope the shrapnel didn't hurt anyone ...

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #60,882 of 100,606
His brain explodes so often ... I hope the shrapnel didn't hurt anyone ...
After how the Tape Pro turned out, I take his brain exploding with an entire ocean of salt

Nov 13, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #60,883 of 100,606
My Porta Pro is turning out to be a set that I’m regularly picking up and listening to by choice, which is a complete 180 from my earlier opinion. Get the Porta Pro X for the nice cable and add some Yaxi pads; I doubt it gets much better than this in the headphone world without spending significantly more money.

The overall sound signature is balanced leaning towards warmth. The midbass is emphasised, but I find that it is sufficiently fast and punchy that it doesn’t cause apparent bloat in the lower mids. Male vocals may sometimes sound slightly recessed and south of neutral, but female vocals remain clear and neutral. Pianos sound especially full and lush.

Unlike the pair of Porta Pros that I hated, these Porta Pros actually have a treble section. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like you’re going to be able to tell what type of cymbal is being struck and where that strike is taking place, but there’s some sparkle and brilliance to complement the otherwise tasteful bass and mids presentation.

Note weight is decent, as expected of a dynamic driver; the Porta Pro has that “musicality” that comes from not sounding overly sharp or lean. These headphones also soak up power like a sponge, and are best enjoyed at higher volumes (within reason of course). Indoors in a quiet room, I’m currently listening to them at slightly above 50% volume out of my Earmen Eagle. Overall detail retrieval is decent but won’t kill any giants. Obvious details can be clearly heard, but the Porta Pro probably won’t give you that feeling of “hearing things you never heard before”. What you do get with the Porta Pro, however, is a budget benchmark for soundstage and imaging. Most IEMs below $100 will probably fail to match the Porta Pro in this regard. Of course, the form factor and lack of any real isolation helps a lot in this department, but the Porta Pro presents a deep and wide soundstage where the music can be easily perceived as happening outside your head, in an arc in front of you. Each element of the track can be further perceived as being associated with a rough position on that arc if you concentrate - it’s definitely a step up from the two/three blob imaging that is to be expected in the budget realm.

The Porta Pro is often compared to the KPH30i and the KSC75, which apparently cost less and (some might say) possess even greater sound quality. I do think the Porta Pro is the best looking of the trio, however, and the foldable design and adjustable clamp force is neat (note that with the Yaxi pads it becomes impossible to fully fold the Porta Pro into its “circle” form.

So, I stand corrected. I don’t know what went wrong with my previous Porta Pro (I must have somehow ended up with a dud), but I now completely understand why people like these. Far from being an 80s cosplay item, they’re a legit budget on-ear option that I think are on par or better than the CAL and can trade blows with headphones that cost 2-4x more. Paired with a decent source, they can be very enjoyable indeed.

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #60,884 of 100,606
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-h50.25550/
DSC09213.jpg

ISN H50 for those interested. These are currently one of the best hybrids at the price level. Your weekend reader.

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #60,885 of 100,606

Users who are viewing this thread

Back