The discovery thread!
Oct 12, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #60,498 of 99,839
Wow glad it worked out. Lucky u know how to fiddle with stuff. Did u need to solder anything?

If it were a 2 pin cable IEM, it is no biggie just swapping the orientation of the cable to bring it back in phase, but for MMCX types, usually that involves opening up the IEM and perhaps soldering or reorientating the wiring

I think other lay consumers would have just given up on the IEM and thought that it sounded weird and have sent it back or just dumped it in their drawer.
after taking a closer look with a fresher mind this morning, I realised it was just a small little clip like @mndless mentioned. So i just gently lifted it using a needle and pulled the cable out, took almost no time at all. Since swapping drivers and cables didn't work figured it was probably on the shell itself. Gotta be careful not to lift the clip too hard or will probably snap those clips off though. it took like 2-3 weeks from aliexpress, so sending it back for replacement or what isn't a very appealing option too. :sob:

But after fixing it, they sound pretty great though. Balanced with a nice amount of elevation in bass, mids and treble (w-shape?). With the stock configuration, tight bass, clean mids, just enough upper mids and treble without going into shouty or sibilant territory. Pretty good details and separation too, and soundstage is pretty good too. Very nice tonality and natural sounding timbre. Really enjoying these right now. The included tuning filters works exactly as described too. So you can go for neutral bass with the silver filter (very slightly lower bass quantity compared to even ER4XR i think but probably mostly due to insertion depth and seal), stock filter has slightly more than ER4XR, then the red filter gives it even more oomph. The extra bass is mostly in the mid bass region so does warm up the lower mids too as you go up. The blue filter on the nozzle tames the upper mids and treble, but a bit too much for my taste. I think without anything on the nozzle is just nice. Will give this configuration a bit more listening time before trying the red drivers.

:L3000:

asdas.png

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #60,500 of 99,839
My small review and dissassambly on RU lang

see dissassambly from 7.20 (what inside and how to change filters)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #60,501 of 99,839
for those with the smabat proto, does yours sound out of phase out of the box?
sounds good and with normal phase :)

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #60,502 of 99,839
My small review and dissassambly on RU lang

see dissassambly from 7.20 (what inside and how to change filters)

I find that the included tweezer has enough grip to just pull out the filters/dampers without need to push it out from the inside actually. :)

uploaded a short video here.
https://imgur.com/xQoXvmD

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #60,503 of 99,839

Big haul of tips, starting with 3 of them.

Sony EP-TC50

Starting with the boring part first, it is the same as the Triple-comfort tips that comes in the XBA-N3, my favorite silicone/foam hybrid tip out of the 2 I got (these and the Symbio W). Fit and sounds like a silicone tip, comfort and isolation like a softer foam tip. Price is around 1100-1500 jpy, which is around 12 usd for 2 pairs. Recommended if you want to try a silicone/foam hybrid tip, otherwise I still prefer silicone tips a lot more.
(they even have the XBA-N3 pictured in the package, 100% the same tips.)

Elecom EHP-CAP20

Excellent tips, essentially the same sound as the Final Type E except that the bass quantity and quality are better on the Type E´s, while the upper mids (female vocals) are better on the CAP20. Makes the female vocals a bit more forward, while still reducing peaks like the Type E.

Works great for something like the Fiio FD5 and the Sony XBA-N3 where the bass is already very good and where the female vocals could be a bit more forward on some tracks.

This is tied as my favorite tips with the Type E´s, no brainer recommendation, they literally cost 440 jpy, which is around 4 usd, dirt cheap for 3 pairs of high-quality tips.

Radius Deep Mount

Opens up the treble even more than wide bore tips but also isn’t as peaky as those (like the Azla Sedna and JVC Spiral dots) and at the same time, tightens the bass more than them as well. Mids are similar to them, but is affected by the rest of the sound, so they sound cleaner and a bit brighter in tonality.

Game changer for something like the Blon BL-03, this fits better than Azla tips AND sounds better.

Although they are not good for already bright iems. Highly recommended for everything else, price is 1070 jpy which is around 10 usd for 3 pairs. Very good price.

My current tip recommendations are:

1. Final Type E
2. Elecom EHP-CAP20
3. Radius Deep Mount

The CAP20 tips are like a mix between the Type E bass and the Deep Mount treble, very well balanced. For those that want more bass the Type E will be better and for those that want more treble the Deep Mount will be better.

All 3 of them reduce treble peaks more than other tips. And even the Deep Mount tips does that even though it has more treble quantity/is brighter than other wide-bore tips that do get a bit peaky.

:thumbsup:
What model of Radius tips do you recommend? Or these tips are the same for all their IEMs?

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #60,505 of 99,839
I find that the included tweezer has enough grip to just pull out the filters/dampers without need to push it out from the inside actually.
in my case, the filter sits so deep that it is impossible to hook it with tweezers :) only push from dynamic side

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #60,508 of 99,839
Oct 14, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #60,509 of 99,839

Users who are viewing this thread

Back