The discovery thread!
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #59,626 of 103,517
"I started engineering calculation and experimentation, assuming at the beginning I could easily prove that skin effect could never affect sound quality. However, before long I was forced to realize that it was not so easy. In fact, I had to recognize the fact that sound is changed by cable, as a result of the very experiments by the discoverers in front of me, so that I was compelled to research it seriously. Skin effect is a part of eddy current nature, and although it is not possible to measure it at audio frequency range, it can be calculated electromagnetically and the calculated result can be verified by several methods. Therefore I did listening tests myself and asked many people for double blind tests, making many cable models that had different eddy current loss. These listening tests made me sure that skin effect has a rather large role in the sound differences." ~ Paragraph from Mogami's 2019 Catalogue, despite their rigorous measurements and technical backing
No numbers, just some words - so typical.
For IEM cables with few volts and milliamps (for few milliwatts total) - there are no any justification and no evidence for any effect in the audible range of 20-20,000 Hz.
But given that it is highly profitable to sell $100+ cables - many odd things are out there :)

Aug 25, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #59,627 of 103,517
Tripowin x HBB 'Mele' Unboxing

Mele comes in a very small and simple packaging (which I don’t really care, to be honest). Everything that matters comes into the Tripowin carry case, which is a very nice touch for the price. Cable is very thin, but I don’t care about that. Come with some other size tips as well.

They are smaller than they seem on first pictures. Will post first impressions very soon.

IMG_20210825_130316

IMG_20210825_130339

IMG_20210825_130404

IMG_20210825_130439

IMG_20210825_130547

IMG_20210825_130516

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #59,629 of 103,517
No numbers, just some words - so typical.
For IEM cables with few volts and milliamps (for few milliwatts total) - there are no any justification and no evidence for any effect in the audible range of 20-20,000 Hz.
But given that it is highly profitable to sell $100+ cables - many odd things are out there :)
Read Chapter 6 of this book, it isn't that straightforward
Newell, P., & Holland, K. (2018). Loudspeakers : For music recording and reproduction. ProQuest Ebook Central https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.libraryproxy.griffith.edu.au

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #59,630 of 103,517
From what I've heard, mostly from Zeos's review, these things have the absolute best ANC on the market at the moment, even compared with Bose, who have otherwise been the de facto brand to turn to for ANC.
Yea being the little brother of AirpodsMax, AirPods Pro got best ANC as an IEM, which especially cuts off lower frequency noises such as Air Conditioner compressor noise, airplane engine noise, the environmental noises.

I just traveled with airpods pro, Moondrop Variations, GS Audio ST10, Thieaudio Monarch, and tried all of them on a flight✈️ The best sounding one on Flight turned out to be Airpods Pro due to the S/N illustration. For this environment I think ANC is very useful in making conformable listening environment.

I used to have Bose’s QC headphone, but ended up giving it away because of the weight. 2hour flight is max period that I could stand wearing headphones.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #59,631 of 103,517
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003162327588.html

Tin HIFI T2 EVO
$59 USD

EVO 1.PNG

Look there is a cyclops smiling at me!

Tin T2 now has a few variations, the original (anemic bass), the Tin T2 Pro (shouty), Tin T2 Plus (good tonality, but bottle necked in technicalities), and now the T2 Evo.

Anyone wanna take one for the team?
As much as I still love the T2+, Tin’s track record lately has been pretty disheartening.

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #59,632 of 103,517
Tripowin x HBB 'Mele' Unboxing

Mele comes in a very small and simple packaging (which I don’t really care, to be honest). Everything that matters comes into the Tripowin carry case, which is a very nice touch for the price. Cable is very thin, but I don’t care about that. Come with some other size tips as well.

They are smaller than they seem on first pictures. Will post first impressions very soon.

IMG_20210825_130316

IMG_20210825_130339

IMG_20210825_130404

IMG_20210825_130439

IMG_20210825_130547

IMG_20210825_130516
LF impression!
Wow Linsoul shipped preorder batch already? It looks like my preorder batch got stuck🥺

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #59,633 of 103,517
Hope all of you are safe! Coming here after about 8 months and just wanted to know the new discoveries if any @RikudouGoku @baskingshark

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #59,634 of 103,517
LF impression!
Wow Linsoul shipped preorder batch already? It looks like my preorder batch got stuck🥺
There's no pre-order as HBB request, that's why it was delayed.

Problem is they only had 500 units and they didn't account for such afluence on a 50usd IEM tuned by a Youtuber reviewer.... Orders 12h later were already delayed by 14 days. Can see them easly having a TA queue, ngl.

I will post first impressions later. I also got Blon-03 to give some feedback and comparition. A/Bing atm, 5 tracks later I prefer it to FH3, but that's not hard to guess, since I don't like FH3 very much. Gonna do some A/B with Mangird Tea later. Too bad only other single DD I own atm is Sony MH755, and that's no comparition, same as GK10.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #59,635 of 103,517
Hope all of you are safe! Coming here after about 8 months and just wanted to know the new discoveries if any @RikudouGoku @baskingshark

Welcome back! I hope the others can help throw out some current hot IEMs for discussion too to help @superuser1 , we can all benefit as a community too!

From what I gather, the current hot topics for discussion are the:
- Geekwold GK10 - has a lot of discussion about it. May be plagued by QC issues? Some folks really like it a lot, some not so. Best to go check it out in the dedicated Geekwold thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/geek-wold-discussion-gk10.958787/
- Tripowin x HBB 'Mele' - tuned by BGGAR. We look forward to @nymz 's impressions on it. I mean if BGGAR signs off his name on it, that must mean something?
- GS Audio stuff - better ask @RikudouGoku about this as they have multiple models, some seem to have good reviews, some not so.
- TRI I3 Pro - contains a planar inside + BA/DD and is the successor of the TRI I3. I bought my TRI I3 around 1.5 years ago and am still using it. U shaped set with lush planar mids when amped. Soundstage in 3 directions was one of the best I've heard at the $150ish price range. So the successor looks interesting.

As much as I still love the T2+, Tin’s track record lately has been pretty disheartening.

Agreed, Tin had to retune their Tin T5 and P2, even though they weren't released for long.

I like the Tin T2 Plus tonality a lot, but my set had a bad MMCX (there are quite a lot of forum reports for poor MMCX for this model), it started spinning like a windvane OOTB. This is not from repeated cable changes, it was already like that right from the start. So, I see the new Tin T2 Evo has MMCX again, and TBH I'm a bit worried QC wise.

But let's see how it goes, first adopter reviews should start filtering out soon enough for the Tin T2 Evo.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #59,636 of 103,517
Some quick first impressions since I gotta go back to work. Seems a straight upgrade to Blon-03, but keep in mind it’s first time hearing both.

+Build quality
+Fit and confort
+Layering / Separation
+Coherency
+Timbre
+Sub-bass. Mid bass also good, and no bass bleed.
+Fast and tight, no ‘blur’
+Treble extension
+Treats mids very well.
+Female voices
+Imaging

-Average soundstage
-Eletric guitars solos might be much to some (I like it)

Gotta do some more A/B testing. Pretty sure I prefer it to FH3 for my library, but that’s not saying much since I don’t like FH3. Guess next step is A/Bing with Mangird Teas.

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #59,637 of 103,517
Some quick first impressions since I gotta go back to work. Seems a straight upgrade to Blon-03, but keep in mind it’s first time hearing both.

+Build quality
+Fit and confort
+Layering / Separation
+Coherency
+Timbre
+Sub-bass. Mid bass also good, and no bass bleed.
+Fast and tight, no ‘blur’
+Treble extension
+Treats mids very well.
+Female voices
+Imaging

-Average soundstage
-Eletric guitars solos might be much to some (I like it)

Gotta do some more A/B testing. Pretty sure I prefer it to FH3 for my library, but that’s not saying much since I don’t like FH3. Guess next step is A/Bing with Mangird Teas.
Sounds like it could be subjectively better than the FD3 based on personal tuning preference! Wonder how it will fair against the Aria, Yuan Li, IT01X and Hana 2021

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #59,638 of 103,517
Sounds like it could be subjectively better than the FD3 based on personal tuning preference! Wonder how it will fair against the Aria, Yuan Li, IT01X and Hana 2021

Can't comment on that,since I dont own any of those, FH3 were my entry IEM couple of months ago. In two days I got GK10, mh755, Blon-03 and Mele, so its my first delve into this bracket.

I can say tho that I've owned FD5 and people claim that FD3 is pretty similar. I'd take Mele over FD5 anyday, or pretty much anything, even fh3, since that treble killed my ears and I returned it 2 weeks later.

Pretty sure fd5 is better on technicalities tho, like stage, imaging, detail, etc

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #59,639 of 103,517
Aug 25, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #59,640 of 103,517
The onus is on you to show ANY tangible evidence instead of some citations.
Why should I? Is shifting your obstinate opinion worth the effort? I don't remember owing you anything. LOL! If you desire knowledge, pursue it yourself- I think you're old enough to do at least that instead of waiting to be spoon-fed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back