The discovery thread!
Aug 24, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #59,581 of 103,517
Aug 24, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #59,582 of 103,517
Get 10x MH755, mmcx mod them, leave this house 😂

I have 2 sets of genuine 750's and a reasonably good fake as well. Hopefully that should last a lifetime.

No modding necessary. I've ranted on hype merchants, don't get me started on cables....

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #59,583 of 103,517
I have 2 sets of genuine 750's and a reasonably good fake as well. Hopefully that should last a lifetime.

No modding necessary. I've ranted on hype merchants, don't get me started on cables....
I've seen some evidence that cables can influence the resultant sound, particularly on low impedance IEMs, but I have yet to be convinced that it is necessary to spend more than, like, $50 on a cable, ever, unless you just particularly want to. Even acknowledging that, the influence of cables seems to me to be chasing diminishing returns where it seems more productive to just buy a different set with tuning you like better. But that's just my take on it.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #59,584 of 103,517
I've seen some evidence that cables can influence the resultant sound, particularly on low impedance IEMs, but I have yet to be convinced that it is necessary to spend more than, like, $50 on a cable, ever, unless you just particularly want to. Even acknowledging that, the influence of cables seems to me to be chasing diminishing returns where it seems more productive to just buy a different set with tuning you like better. But that's just my take on it.
Reading this right after ordering Goldenfall and C4-2 cables to try on my Aria :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #59,585 of 103,517
Well if you want to get into it....
limber up.jpg

CAbLeS Ar3 PlAcbO... jokes.

I have experienced lower impedance cables opening up the sound of an iem more, and that makes sense from a scientific stand point. Beyond that they really are placebo imo and audiophiles seem to love kidding themselves their pixie dust infused unicorn hair braid really does make the highs sparkle more.

It's amazing that people continue to beat this dead horse despite an entire industry and profession that will tell them they're deluding themselves and back it up with evidence.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #59,586 of 103,517
Well if you want to get into it....
limber up.jpg

CAbLeS Ar3 PlAcbO... jokes.

I have experienced lower impedance cables opening up the sound of an iem more, and that makes sense from a scientific stand point. Beyond that they really are placebo imo and audiophiles seem to love kidding themselves their pixie dust infused unicorn hair braid really does make the highs sparkle more.

It's amazing that people continue to beat this dead horse despite an entire industry and profession that will tell them they're deluding themselves and back it up with evidence.
"I started engineering calculation and experimentation, assuming at the beginning I could easily prove that skin effect could never affect sound quality. However, before long I was forced to realize that it was not so easy. In fact, I had to recognize the fact that sound is changed by cable, as a result of the very experiments by the discoverers in front of me, so that I was compelled to research it seriously. Skin effect is a part of eddy current nature, and although it is not possible to measure it at audio frequency range, it can be calculated electromagnetically and the calculated result can be verified by several methods. Therefore I did listening tests myself and asked many people for double blind tests, making many cable models that had different eddy current loss. These listening tests made me sure that skin effect has a rather large role in the sound differences." ~ Paragraph from Mogami's 2019 Catalogue, despite their rigorous measurements and technical backing

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #59,587 of 103,517
I'm a measurements person, and I make sure to be well-read enough to not make uneducated/uninformed assumptions set in stone. However, when my ears detect similar differences over and over again, I have to be honest to myself, even if all the current measurements are unable to prove it. Science is about pursuit of the truth, to systemically study and explain perceived phenomena in our lives. The trailblazers of true science, like Galileo, sure have it hard, being condemned by all who have not what it takes to understand the very truth laid before them. What kind of studies did the masses actually do?

*Answer: Back then they did not understand the cosmos, so relied on what their religion fed them (stories of the Sun revolving around the Earth etc.) Who is to blame this ignorant cult though? Alas that suffering befalls all whom they fearfully/self-righteously persecute

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #59,588 of 103,517
"I started engineering calculation and experimentation, assuming at the beginning I could easily prove that skin effect could never affect sound quality. However, before long I was forced to realize that it was not so easy. In fact, I had to recognize the fact that sound is changed by cable, as a result of the very experiments by the discoverers in front of me, so that I was compelled to research it seriously. Skin effect is a part of eddy current nature, and although it is not possible to measure it at audio frequency range, it can be calculated electromagnetically and the calculated result can be verified by several methods. Therefore I did listening tests myself and asked many people for double blind tests, making many cable models that had different eddy current loss. These listening tests made me sure that skin effect has a rather large role in the sound differences." ~ Paragraph from Mogami's 2019 Catalogue, despite their rigorous measurements and technical backing

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH sorry but you're quoting a catalogue from cable manufacturer..... true, false or unsubstantiated nonsense, that is hilarious either way.
Science is about pursuit of the truth, to systemically study and explain perceived phenomena in our lives.

True, and to that end i am very happy to be PROVEN incorrect, though not by a cable manufacturer, unless they're experiments are replicated and verified independently.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #59,589 of 103,517
End of the day, the only thing that really matters is if YOU can hear a difference. People should enjoy their audio equipment in whatever way they want to, without criticism. However, you should be skeptical of an audio cable manufacturer telling you that their expensive audio cables make a difference in sound quality. Safe to say they are going to be biased... @PhoenixSong

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #59,590 of 103,517
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH sorry but you're quoting a catalogue from cable manufacturer..... true, false or unsubstantiated nonsense, that is hilarious either way.

True, and to that end i am very happy to be proven incorrect.
An open mind presents infinite opportunities and possibilities :slight_smile:
Let's hope enough science-based people do not diss cables that quickly and come up with a definite answer within our lifetime (they are key to the mystery after all)

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #59,591 of 103,517
End of the day, the only thing that really matters is if YOU can hear a difference. People should enjoy their audio equipment in whatever way they want to, without criticism. However, you should be skeptical of an audio cable manufacturer telling you that their expensive audio cables make a difference in sound quality. Safe to say they are going to be biased... @PhoenixSong
They were talking about cables in general though. Including hundreds of thousands of their competitor's cheaper cables, if you view it in perspective :thumbsup: Also, I don't remember any of their cables being silver-plated, which would give them a reason to really emphasise the real influence of skin effect as they did

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #59,593 of 103,517
Also true and i doubt many audiophiles are selling their kidneys or spending the children's food money to buy cables. So it could be seen as a mostly harmless delusion.

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #59,595 of 103,517
My hearing must be super sensitive, or my equipment as I can hear a difference between power cables, USB cables, and iem cables. I truly enjoy testing different power cable wiring combinations. I make all of my own power cables. Tried making my own USB cables but my soldering skills need serious improvement. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back