The discovery thread!
Aug 23, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #59,551 of 106,567
Just received the Moondrop Quarks ($13). First impressions:
  • Shells look cute but I'm not a fan of the plastic
  • No strain-relief in the housing where the cable enters. I'd be wary about abusing them.
  • Cable itself is nice. Supple and doesn't tangle much.
  • Poor stock tips. Tip-change recommended.
  • Needs a bit more power than average.
  • Somewhat dry tonality, a bit recessed male vocals. Bass can be heard but not felt, as in sub-bass lacks rumble and mid-bass punch is muted. The upper-mids aren't as bothersome as the graphs make it look. Treble is grainy, muted cymbal hits, not much extension. Inoffensive albeit uninspiring. Some inconsistencies in channel matching but for the price - no big deal (and it's ~1dB max).
Overall, not the best thing since sliced bread out of the box. I'd call this a "low-resolution ER2XR", and if you prefer that kind of dry midrange rendition maybe this will be a nice inexpensive option.

IMG_1005.jpg
IMG_1010.jpg1629744679012.png
Thanks for that review. So pretty much tuned exactly like every other Moondrop I've owned except the Crescent. This just echos everything else....play it safe. never step out of the box.

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #59,552 of 106,567
It says EST right on the box, so i think i'll go with the manufacturer vs a know it all.
IMO that's what's bothersome. You don't know what to trust from a lot of these companies. 😏 I agree with you in looking at what it says on the box, but is it trust worthy?

Companies overseas are not bound to the same patent and copyrights like here in USA. They can pretty much put whatever they want on the box without regard.

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #59,553 of 106,567
IMO that's what's bothersome. You don't know what to trust from a lot of these companies. 😏 I agree with you in looking at what it says on the box, but is it trust worthy?

Companies overseas are not bound to the same patent and copyrights like here in USA. They can pretty much put whatever they want on the box without regard.
i get what you're saying, but so we're not supposed to trust any chinese company? or just the BIG ONES? See how that turned out for CA (i know, not chinese, but a bigger independent sold in china)? So do we crack open every single thing we buy? We all know those drivers aren't true electrostats, unless it has a box charger like the Shure, but we've come to call them EST's, and we haven't questioned anyone unless they happen to sell it for cheaper than $500? Again, i'm not going to go into all my purchases with paranoia. I'll let my ears do the talking, and whatever tech is inside...DOES IT SOUND GOOD? IS IT TUNED WELL? I don't plan on staring at my gear until I'm convinced a BA is a BA, a dynamic is titanium coated or beryllium coated, or an EST or piezo?

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #59,554 of 106,567
i get what you're saying, but so we're not supposed to trust any chinese company? or just the BIG ONES? See how that turned out for CA (i know, not chinese, but a bigger independent sold in china)? So do we crack open every single thing we buy? We all know those drivers aren't true electrostats, unless it has a box charger like the Shure, but we've come to call them EST's, and we haven't questioned anyone unless they happen to sell it for cheaper than $500? Again, i'm not going to go into all my purchases with paranoia. I'll let my ears do the talking, and whatever tech is inside...DOES IT SOUND GOOD? IS IT TUNED WELL? I don't plan on staring at my gear until I'm convinced a BA is a BA, a dynamic is titanium coated or beryllium coated, or an EST or piezo?
Totally agree with you. 👍

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #59,556 of 106,567
I got burned by the PMV PP last time. Not going in blind on a planar magnetic IEM for a long time.
The only planar I'm particularly interested in is the Toneking P10. They included a graph and they're very compact. If I ever manage to find them on a spectacular sale, I'll get a set.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #59,557 of 106,567
I got burned by the PMV PP last time. Not going in blind on a planar magnetic IEM for a long time.
why is that? did it suck?

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #59,559 of 106,567
Yes it sucked. PMV should’ve named it PT- Plastic Timbre
Didn't they have a well received hybrid several years ago? That's too bad they dropped the ball on a planar.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #59,560 of 106,567
I am now considering buying LZ A7, I want to ask you -
1. in direct comparison with spring2 will this be an adequate improvement in the price increase?
2. I would like to keep the natural sound of spring2 with improved resolution and detail, especially in the low and sub-bass and treble areas. In the spring2 I am impressed by the musicality, which, IMHO, nevertheless, does not turn into the "famous" "cheerful sound". I also like the bass of the spring, which, without turning into a basshead sound, is nevertheless not forgotten. Although sometimes, not often, I feel the excess and relative vagueness of the bass of the spring and some lack of the highest treble..
3. I would like to clarify what kind of music you prefer. 80% of the music I listen to is acoustic instruments, in the style of light jazz (not elite "smart" jazz), and so on: jazz-rock, alternative rock, blues, soul, orchestral compositions, etc. On the list, this is practically the entire spectrum of styles, except for hip-hop and too :) "pop" music. Favorite band and song: Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. All my music is, to some extent, variations of what is in this track, or what could organically be in it :)
The question is whether the transition from spring2 to LZ A7 is worth my monthly income :), or is it not worth it, and I shouldn't twitch? Or maybe I should wait and look for something better than the LZ A7 without spending money on intermediate options? Can you give your opinion? (The LZ A7 is still not on the edge of what I'm willing to spend, but it's pretty close to it.)
I would be very grateful for the answer. Thanks.
Ah I replied your message before, but put it here also:
  • A7 has much better bass, with more texture and natural rumble
  • Spring 2 has slightly fuller soundstage
  • Spring 2 has slightly more natural mid
  • A7 has slightly smoother but more extended treble, and resolves detail slightly better

I listen to many genres, but not really jazz. If you focus more on instruments, I personally don't think you need to upgrade to A7. If you also enjoy female voices, then yes you should, because Spring 2 sounds maybe too sharp in some occasions.

Kbear Believe is excellent also, that driver can handle busy tracks like a champ. I heard that they use the driver in a different IEM, you can search in this thread because I don't remember the name after hearing "you don't need this if you have KBear Believe".

Or maybe take a gamble with me and order 7Hz Timeless. Graph, if accurate, looks excellent. It has all the buzzwords also: double-sized N52 magnets, 2-micron diaphram, planar...

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #59,561 of 106,567
DSC08781.JPG

Newer K3 dac/amp. Not to be mistaken for their previous AK4452 variant. This new one uses ES9038Q2M with an OPA926. Which ends up being a clear upgrade from their previous version.

I just got my DX300Max I am still burning in and sure this thing isn't gonna take over my 3Max for sonics but I found myself being just as impressed with this thing. Clean wide full bodied sound signature with excellent low noise floor and very good dynamics. Simple plug n play. So far so good. Love how Fiio keeps improving their best sellers.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #59,562 of 106,567
7Hz Timeless looks interesting. If you're brave, take a picture of them seated in your ear if you could @Bui Hai Anh . The shape is really intriguing. I feel like I might end up looking like I've got two Arecibo radio telescopes in my ears.
Can't get worse than this 😁
20210824_094930_(1).jpg

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #59,563 of 106,567
Can't get worse than this 😁
20210824_094930_(1).jpg
It'll probably be pretty similar. Definitely more protrusion than I could handle. Do the Stax at least sound good enough to make it worth it?

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #59,564 of 106,567
7Hz Timeless. Graph, if accurate, looks excellent
I haven't seen their frequency response graph yet. Could you link? In general, there is little information about them yet. I may not have dug enough.

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #59,565 of 106,567
Can't get worse than this
An old-fashioned phrase, but any day I will agree to ANY look of the headphones, if it stays in my ears and will offer the best sound. Any, in the sense - any. Even in the form of a toilet, or a pile of crap.
SOUND. Gentle, deep and heady ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back