The discovery thread!
Aug 23, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #59,536 of 106,567
Let's get real. All the EST's are technically magnetostatic/electret, but we've been calling them EST's since the TDK and Sonion "EST"'s, so no need to separate it now because it's CCA. It's an EST just like all the others, including the MT300 and Tape Pro. Plus they are billing it as such....
Well, sorry to burst your bubble but MT300 doesn't even host a MST/EST. It's simply a piezoelectric driver that's being labelled as EST. Because TDK don't even have a EST driver in their product inventory.

More details can be found here -

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/geek-wold-discussion-gk10.958787/post-16471083

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #59,537 of 106,567
Talk about bitting the bullet!

All credit to them for withdrawing the product and promising to compensate buyers, rather than playing the ostrich!

I had no complaints with the sound.

The complaint I made to them was cosmetic, specifically, about the fading gold glazing. They informed me that there had been no other complaints. Given there were no other complaints at the time, I agreed to send them back for testing to determine if it was specific to mine, such as something I cleaned mine with or if it was a manufacturing fault.

I hope this will ensure more care and attention next time.

I was okay with the cosmetic and accessories part of the CCZ Plume. It is a bit bling bling with the golden shells, but I'm more interested in the sound than the looks.

Anyways a few days ago I rated it 3.5 stars: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ccz-plume.25258/reviews#review-26583

The CCZ Plume's soundstage was good, and it was a very non fatiguing tuning. My main bug bear was that the CCZ Plume's midbass bled quite a lot, and was rather incoherent when compared to the drivers handling the mids and treble. This is apparently so on some faster tracks, it was like the DD bass was struggling to match the speed of the treble/mid BAs. Considering CCZ Plume was their first release, it is okayish for a first attempt. Though, they were really quite ambitious to do a first release at the $200ish USD price range, rather than starting small. The midfi price range has a lot of tough competition from well established big boys (eg Tanchjim Oxygen, Audiosense T800, LZ A7 just to name a few). The CCZ Plume is more than decent in sound, but if taken in context at the price point and against other similarly priced competitors, the value is honestly not the best.

But ya, I think they did the right thing to withdraw the product once the controversy of the drivers came into the open, so kudos for that. I do wish them well, and though I haven't tried their budget offerings, so far the reviews seem optimistic for those.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #59,538 of 106,567
Can't resist the urge for new techs, so I placed the orders for 7Hz Timeless, TRI I3 Pro and CCA NRA. I have realised that the usual combinations of DD+BA or full BA no longer pique my interest.

For 1-driver IEMs, I now stick to pure beryllium, true electrostatic and planar. LCP, CNT, graphene, titanium... DDs start to feel slow to my ears.

The most recent I have bought is of course the Geek Wold GK10. My set has excellent high mid and treble, the sound is reminiscent of true electrostatic drivers. The bass is just mediocre, slightly slow and sometimes makes the male voice nasal. For the price, good. However, I almost always buy "bargains", so I cannot be sure if GK10 performs better than the $50, $100 or even $300 offerings. LZ A6 (after a lot of foam mod) is much better and is the thing that stop me buying anything more expensive. LZ A7 is more natural in the bass and low mid, and overall better set. LZ knows how to do detail and soundstage. Going down the price, KBear Believe is hard to beat with that speedy drivers, Sennheiser IE40 Pro offers more micro detail while the $100-turn-$30 Semkarch CNT-1 gives out much better bass. BQEYZ Spring 2 has excellent soundstage, and the original TRI I3 possess phenomenal bass, but both are harder to recommend with their peaky 8kHz. Many other pairs, but you get the idea. GK10 is a good pair, worth the price, but can it kill other "giant killers" at higher prices? More no than yes.

On an unrelated note, from today the southern part of my country is under martial laws because of Covid, no one can get out, food is delivered by soldiers, and hundreds of people dying every day. The north will follow suit soon, and I haven't seen my relative and friends in person for months, living all alone in my house. Music and audio gears are my savior, if not for them I would burst like a bomb.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #59,539 of 106,567
Can't resist the urge for new techs, so I placed the orders for 7Hz Timeless, TRI I3 Pro and CCA NRA. I have realised that the usual combinations of DD+BA or full BA no longer pique my interest.

Both 7hz Timeless and Tri I3 Pro are looking like a snack. Looking forward for your comparitions :)

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #59,540 of 106,567

For 1-driver IEMs, I now stick to pure beryllium, true electrostatic and planar. LCP, CNT, graphene, titanium... DDs start to feel slow to my ears.

The most recent I have bought is of course the Geek Wold GK10. My set has excellent high mid and treble, the sound is reminiscent of true electrostatic drivers. The bass is just mediocre, slightly slow and sometimes makes the male voice nasal. For the price, good. However, I almost always buy "bargains", so I cannot be sure if GK10 performs better than the $50, $100 or even $300 offerings. LZ A6 (after a lot of foam mod) is much better and is the thing that stop me buying anything more expensive. LZ A7 is more natural in the bass and low mid, and overall better set. LZ knows how to do detail and soundstage. Going down the price, KBear Believe is hard to beat with that speedy drivers, Sennheiser IE40 Pro offers more micro detail while the $100-turn-$30 Semkarch CNT-1 gives out much better bass. BQEYZ Spring 2 has excellent soundstage, and the original TRI I3 possess phenomenal bass, but both are harder to recommend with their peaky 8kHz. Many other pairs, but you get the idea. GK10 is a good pair, worth the price, but can it kill other "giant killers" at higher prices? More no than yes.

On an unrelated note, from today the southern part of my country is under martial laws because of Covid, no one can get out, food is delivered by soldiers, and hundreds of people dying every day. The north will follow suit soon, and I haven't seen my relative and friends in person for months, living all alone in my house. Music and audio gears are my savior, if not for them I would burst like a bomb.
Stay safe, enjoy your music, and rest assured that better days are ahead!

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #59,541 of 106,567
Since you are in China I recommend you also try this one out and maybe you will want to persuade them selling it overseas.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...3Afe4L&id=634309619495&ns=1&abbucket=8#detail

I have posted it here some time ago but it is only available on TaoBao still (RMB 579 sale price btw, don't get at 699).
NICE!!! They look astonishing in the photos! That shows how many startup companies there is in China...It's so hard to keep up with them. :joy:
I'll check with them sometime later, since I just got back to work from vacation.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #59,542 of 106,567
NICE!!! They look astonishing in the photos! That shows how many startup companies there is in China...It's so hard to keep up with them. :joy:
I'll check with them sometime later, since I just got back to work from vacation.
Yeah it is awesome, strings sound better than Moondrop's Variations! :wink: on the darker side however.

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #59,543 of 106,567
Just received the Moondrop Quarks ($13). First impressions:
  • Shells look cute but I'm not a fan of the plastic
  • No strain-relief in the housing where the cable enters. I'd be wary about abusing them.
  • Cable itself is nice. Supple and doesn't tangle much.
  • Poor stock tips. Tip-change recommended.
  • Needs a bit more power than average.
  • Somewhat dry tonality, a bit recessed male vocals. Bass can be heard but not felt, as in sub-bass lacks rumble and mid-bass punch is muted. The upper-mids aren't as bothersome as the graphs make it look. Treble is grainy, muted cymbal hits, not much extension. Inoffensive albeit uninspiring. Some inconsistencies in channel matching but for the price - no big deal (and it's ~1dB max).
Overall, not the best thing since sliced bread out of the box. I'd call this a "low-resolution ER2XR", and if you prefer that kind of dry midrange rendition maybe this will be a nice inexpensive option.

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg
1629744679012.png

Aug 23, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #59,544 of 106,567
........... LZ A7 is more natural in the bass and low mid, and overall better set. LZ knows how to do detail and soundstage. ................ BQEYZ Spring 2 has excellent soundstage ................
I am now considering buying LZ A7, I want to ask you -
1. in direct comparison with spring2 will this be an adequate improvement in the price increase?
2. I would like to keep the natural sound of spring2 with improved resolution and detail, especially in the low and sub-bass and treble areas. In the spring2 I am impressed by the musicality, which, IMHO, nevertheless, does not turn into the "famous" "cheerful sound". I also like the bass of the spring, which, without turning into a basshead sound, is nevertheless not forgotten. Although sometimes, not often, I feel the excess and relative vagueness of the bass of the spring and some lack of the highest treble..
3. I would like to clarify what kind of music you prefer. 80% of the music I listen to is acoustic instruments, in the style of light jazz (not elite "smart" jazz), and so on: jazz-rock, alternative rock, blues, soul, orchestral compositions, etc. On the list, this is practically the entire spectrum of styles, except for hip-hop and too :) "pop" music. Favorite band and song: Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. All my music is, to some extent, variations of what is in this track, or what could organically be in it :)
The question is whether the transition from spring2 to LZ A7 is worth my monthly income :), or is it not worth it, and I shouldn't twitch? Or maybe I should wait and look for something better than the LZ A7 without spending money on intermediate options? Can you give your opinion? (The LZ A7 is still not on the edge of what I'm willing to spend, but it's pretty close to it.)
I would be very grateful for the answer. Thanks.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #59,545 of 106,567
Can't resist the urge for new techs, so I placed the orders for 7Hz Timeless, TRI I3 Pro and CCA NRA.
Please make sure to share your impressions once you get them.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #59,546 of 106,567
7Hz Timeless looks interesting. If you're brave, take a picture of them seated in your ear if you could @Bui Hai Anh . The shape is really intriguing. I feel like I might end up looking like I've got two Arecibo radio telescopes in my ears.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #59,548 of 106,567
I feel like I might end up looking like I've got two Arecibo radio telescopes in my ears.
that is, two hearts in your ears do not bother you, and radio telescopes seem too extravagant -?
:smile:
saw a TWS that looks exactly right? like bath stoppers. Sometimes I really want to pull it out and see if the brain flows out like water from a bath ... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #59,549 of 106,567
that is, two hearts in your ears do not bother you, and radio telescopes seem too extravagant -?
:smile:

Yes. I'm all for a bit of love, not so much radio telescopes!

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #59,550 of 106,567

Users who are viewing this thread

Back