The discovery thread!
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #51,391 of 106,819
For easy reference, here is a compilation for the QDC IEMs I have reviewed. Enjoy & Happy Listening, as always! :)
QDC Anole VX
QDC Dmagic 3D
QDC Fusion
QDC Uranus

Do you ever go more in depth and detailed with your reviews?
Like do you ever measure and show graphs?

All i ever read for all your reviews is:
The top end is very open. Furthermore, there is apt sparkle which helps to liven up the treble. The crisp has good definition.
Has good sub-bass quantity and it is extended well. The sub-bass reproduction
provides a natural rumble and it is impactful

Your reviews are literally a copy paste of one another.

Which reminds me, has anyone ever got the chance or owns IEMs from SeeAudio?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #51,393 of 106,819
Anyone know anywhere the LZ A7 will be under $250 in the 11/11, or anywhere else?

You should be able to get it for around $260 with coupons/coin stacking on 11.11

Also doesn't Penonaudio have a amazing deal on the LZ A7 currently?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #51,394 of 106,819
Repost! Hope we can find out more about this brand and their IEMs, and hopefully someone owns a pair to share their impressions!

I saw this new brand pop up, i know nothing about them, but they look interesting.
They come with a lot of customization options, which is nice

SeeAudio Kaguya
SeeAudio Vantina
SeeAudio Serena
SeeAudio Spark

rumor has it that this brand is founded by ex-employee of qdc..

The provided measurements look really similar to the qdcs as well

Some more information on the SeeAudio Vantina 10!

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #51,395 of 106,819
Got my Sony XBA-Z5.

A really nice sounding iem thats for sure, but I wasnt as wowed as much as I expected. The LZ A7 is to blame for that.
Bass quantity isnt massive and quality is amazing, mids are not forward but not recessed, although on some songs having a bit more forward vocals would be better. Treble is quite tame (not for trebleheads for sure) but not dark for me and quite neutral. Soundstage is huge and other technicalities are very good too, nothing wrong with it on first impressions at least.

BUT here is the deal, the A7 sounds VERY similar to the Z5. They are so similar that the first few seconds I listened to the Z5, I thought I was listening to the A7. here is the graph on the Z5 vs A7:
1604337283671.png

And it alone:
1604337341661.png

Do I rec the Z5? It depends on how good of a price you can get, my unit (without shipping + import fees) is around 300 usd and for around that price I do. But at say, 400 usd? I say no, because even though the Z5 and the A7 arent identical in profile, they are close enough to make having both a bit redundant. Thats not even counting the fact that this is only 1 of the 10 configs you get with the A7.

(too dark for pictures right now so I take them tomorrow.)

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #51,396 of 106,819
Got my Sony XBA-Z5.

A really nice sounding iem thats for sure, but I wasnt as wowed as much as I expected. The LZ A7 is to blame for that.
Bass quantity isnt massive and quality is amazing, mids are not forward but not recessed, although on some songs having a bit more forward vocals would be better. Treble is quite tame (not for trebleheads for sure) but not dark for me and quite neutral. Soundstage is huge and other technicalities are very good too, nothing wrong with it on first impressions at least.

BUT here is the deal, the A7 sounds VERY similar to the Z5. They are so similar that the first few seconds I listened to the Z5, I thought I was listening to the A7. here is the graph on the Z5 vs A7:

And it alone:

Do I rec the Z5? It depends on how good of a price you can get, my unit (without shipping + import fees) is around 300 usd and for around that price I do. But at say, 400 usd? I say no, because even though the Z5 and the A7 arent identical in profile, they are close enough to make having both a bit redundant. Thats not even counting the fact that this is only 1 of the 10 configs you get with the A7.

(too dark for pictures right now so I take them tomorrow.)
Soooooo if you can get the LZ A7 for $276 USD, shipped by DHL ...

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #51,397 of 106,819
Soooooo if you can get the LZ A7 for $276 USD, shipped by DHL ...
yeah.........

Sometimes it is a curse to have epic gear, it makes other good stuff less good lol :joy:

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #51,398 of 106,819
Here are my recs for 11/11:

IEMS:
1. LZ A7, pretty much impossible to dislike with 10 different tuning configs and with an SQ/technicalities that are beyond anything else in this price range.

2. Tanchjim Oxygen, best bright-neutral iem out of the Moondrop Blessing 2/KXXS and Tanchjim Hana

3. Fiio FH3, Beryllium bass that is very powerful but with very high quality, non-offending mids/treble. (not NR 2 because of potential QC problems)

Bonus: Potentially the Shuoer Tape Pro?? (not released yet but I certainly have high hopes for it).

Earbuds:
1. Yincrow X6, THE bud for iem users, very close bass quality/quantity to iems which is rare to say the least.

2. NiceHCK DIY MX500, Huge soundstage and very airy treble with extremely good technicalities.

3. NiceHCK EM80, Excellent tonality and timbre with a very good balance between bass, mids and treble (at least for a bud) (IF you can find it that is...as it is discontinued)

Bonus: Yincrow RW-9, might be a very good bud as well (I am getting it).

Cables:
1. Faaeal Litz copper cable, cheapest and best measuring cable (that I know of).

2. Tri Through, silver plated version of the Faaeal cable, but more expensive.

3. Kbear Rhyme, good build quality and measurements, cheaper than the Through cable but not as good looking (in my opinion).

Bonus: Kbear Limpid/NiceHCK LitzPS, pure silver and well built but high measurements (1 ohm).

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #51,399 of 106,819
Here are my recs for 11/11:

IEMS:
1. LZ A7, pretty much impossible to dislike with 10 different tuning configs and with an SQ/technicalities that are beyond anything else in this price range.

2. Tanchjim Oxygen, best bright-neutral iem out of the Moondrop Blessing 2/KXXS and Tanchjim Hana

3. Fiio FH3, Beryllium bass that is very powerful but with very high quality, non-offending mids/treble. (not NR 2 because of potential QC problems)

Bonus: Potentially the Shuoer Tape Pro?? (not released yet but I certainly have high hopes for it).

Earbuds:
1. Yincrow X6, THE bud for iem users, very close bass quality/quantity to iems which is rare to say the least.

2. NiceHCK DIY MX500, Huge soundstage and very airy treble with extremely good technicalities.

3. NiceHCK EM80, Excellent tonality and timbre with a very good balance between bass, mids and treble (at least for a bud) (IF you can find it that is...as it is discontinued)

Bonus: Yincrow RW-9, might be a very good bud as well (I am getting it).

Cables:
1. Faaeal Litz copper cable, cheapest and best measuring cable (that I know of).

2. Tri Through, silver plated version of the Faaeal cable, but more expensive.

3. Kbear Rhyme, good build quality and measurements, cheaper than the Through cable but not as good looking (in my opinion).

Bonus: Kbear Limpid/NiceHCK LitzPS, pure silver and well built but high measurements (1 ohm).
LZ A7 is an easy recommendation. Can't see anyone not liking it.

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #51,400 of 106,819
The A7 and the Z5 don't sound anything alike to my ears. Not even close. Now the way to get some top end sparkle from the Z5 is to use the A7 cable on the Z5, and it opens up the top end and adds less warmth, and more open sound, but the Z5 can't compete with the A7 on pure technicalities and detail retrieval, though to be honest, i've really used my Z5 a lot more since i switched cables, and using my Sony DAP, they make a wonderful synergy. The fit is atrocious, and ergonomically poop, but I get them to fit pretty good, and they are an enjoyable listen, and i even took them when i went for my walk, and didn't regret it, but the A7 are superior.

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #51,401 of 106,819
The A7 and the Z5 don't sound anything alike to my ears. Not even close. Now the way to get some top end sparkle from the Z5 is to use the A7 cable on the Z5, and it opens up the top end and adds less warmth, and more open sound, but the Z5 can't compete with the A7 on pure technicalities and detail retrieval, though to be honest, i've really used my Z5 a lot more since i switched cables, and using my Sony DAP, they make a wonderful synergy. The fit is atrocious, and ergonomically poop, but I get them to fit pretty good, and they are an enjoyable listen, and i even took them when i went for my walk, and didn't regret it, but the A7 are superior.
I actually dont have any issues with the fit of the Z5, but yeah it can be better. (it is better than the EX800ST at least.)

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #51,402 of 106,819
If you guys have a small amp I would try that with your Z5. Here is where the Z5s are different. They scale like crazy to higher end sources.

Try a desktop amp and you will see why the Z5 was Sonys flagship at one point. I agree with the A7 being superior but they dont scale like the Z5 does. You guys might have a different take on the Z5 once you go balanced with much more powa!

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #51,403 of 106,819
do you like the Z5 over the EX800St?

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #51,404 of 106,819
Nov 2, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #51,405 of 106,819
Definitely, even with EQ on the ex800st. I definitely do not recommend the ex800st without eq.

Haha, I just bought the ex800st 5 minutes ago. I was looking for a good single dynamic driver, and stumbled on them. It's not a "new" discovery, but it was for me, barely 6 months into the hobby. Is it still a good purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back