The discovery thread!
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #48,661 of 100,990
So while I usually post about my cables I review on the cables thread. I thought I would post it here. These my friends should be a part of your collections. Why? Not every day your gonna get a pure silver IEM cables for $20. You can read about them
DSC07392.JPG
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ni...s?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.3d073e5fBlBCrv

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #48,662 of 100,990
By homonizing the repulsion characteristics, it suppresses the variation of the wearing feeling of each size

Wow that’s some engineering jibberish overload!

CCFCB013-9C86-4745-B95A-544655D49356.gif

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #48,664 of 100,990
Wow that’s some engineering jibberish overload!

CCFCB013-9C86-4745-B95A-544655D49356.gif

50% that and 50% machine translation and that is what you get. It could just say something like... uniformly soft regardless of size. Kinda get what they mean. So if you want to use a L and try to seal more it feels as comfortable as a M. Not that is saying much of anything really. Plenty of soft comfy tips. I don't think Sony hybrids LL are less comfortable than smaller sizes. If the translation is correct with the optimizing hardness thing then they may be saying something. If more firm and you don't have to insert as deep to get "moderate" isolation and using bigger sizes are as comfy with the firmness then that may be nice. I know right off the bat one of my favs, the Earfits, are firm and bigger sizes indeed give more pressure in the canal.

Not that they, once you get the drift, actually accomplish this feat for a silicone tip.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #48,665 of 100,990
CVJ has released a new IEM on multiple shops on Aliexpress
3BA + 1DD, called the CVJ CS8
$25 USD

CVJ 2.PNG

CVJ 1.PNG

CVJ 3.PNG
CVJ 4.PNG

From the diagram, I don't think the BAs are nestled inside the nozzle (please correct me if I'm mistaken). That's a good start. Some gear like TRN VX had BA tweeters in the nozzle which were not pleasant in the treble and sibliance amount to say the least.

It seems they had a few sleeper hits in the CVJ CSN and CVJ CSA, haven't heard them, but the headfi reviews on these two sets seem to be generally positive, but not much discussion on them.

I've set up a CVJ thread here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cvj-iems-thread.938875/

If anyone has tried their gear before, please feel free to give your input, be it positive or negative. More CHIFI brands would be good for innovation and competition and possibly for us consumers. (Though admittedly it might lead to consumer fatigue seeing weekly budget hybrid releases trying to muscle in on the CHIFI pie and one can argue it is better to have a single well tuned set with lesser drivers, than a weekly multi driver monstrosity releasing and trying to throw stuff on the wall and hope it sticks!)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #48,666 of 100,990
I always wondered why Crinacle seemingly laments the fact that Fearless didn't give him a DD to work with for the Dawn if you look at the FAQ of the behind the scenes of the Dawn. I mean I'm sure someone will inevitably tell me drivers don't matter of whatever, but I can only assume even 64 audio can't fully escape that... BA timbre?

As someone who has only owned single DD headgear, I can only wonder what's so infamous about an all BA IEM.

Edit: Meant to say adding a DD woofer to the Dawn, presumably a 1DD 8BA hybrid or something like that

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #48,667 of 100,990
I always wondered why Crinacle seemingly laments the fact that Fearless didn't give him a DD to work with for the Dawn if you look at the FAQ of the behind the scenes of the Dawn. I mean I'm sure someone will inevitably tell me drivers don't matter of whatever, but I can only assume even 64 audio can't fully escape that... BA timbre?

As someone who has only owned single DD headgear, I can only wonder what's so infamous about an all BA IEM.

It is true all BA sets have generally worse timbre than pure DD sets. They generally also sound less natural in the bass to me, such as having less bass decay/movement of air, and sometimes worse subbass extension than DD. Even the most expensive all BA IEM I've heard (QDC Anole VX) has not as good timbre as some cheaper DD sets.

Though at the budget/midfi segment, the multi BAs may generally have better bass speed and generally better technicalities and isolation than pure DD sets (which are generally vented). Different strokes for different folks.

Hybrids supposedly address these issues by combining the best of both worlds eg DD bass with mids/treble handled by multi BA drivers, but sometimes there are crossover or coherency issues especially for budget hybrids.

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #48,668 of 100,990
Some prefer the ADSR of DD better than BA or is ADSR better on a DD?

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #48,669 of 100,990
Leisurely Audio is going viral at my local chifi community for its sheer low price.
~500 USD for its 12BA model and ~300 USD for its 8BA model which are all in full Knowles/Sonion brand BA drivers.
Sadly they seems to be avaliable at taobao only and not at aliexpress though
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=610832647118
O1CN0157ACye1bTTN5hFPF8_!!4159263466.jpg

O1CN016ucDIP1bTTMzzi1aO_!!4159263466.jpg

O1CN01MqTCfJ1bTTN0B57hb_!!4159263466.jpg

O1CN014KsB2l1bTTN63Mk83_!!4159263466.jpg

Do you have more info about these?

The L8 looks like the Audiosense T800.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #48,670 of 100,990
Question for you: How many of you knew Little Dot made in-ears? I'll admit, amps, cd transport, dacs, sure - in-ears nope. Well they do and I recently got the chance to review all four models.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-cu-rad.24353/reviews

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-cu-series-wyn.24525/reviews

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-cu-series-cen.24526/reviews

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-cu-series-kis.24527/reviews

If you want the full sized photos or graphs, hit my blog, I just did a quick cut and paste here so they are the thumbnails.

Aug 1, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #48,671 of 100,990
It is true all BA sets have generally worse timbre than pure DD sets. They generally also sound less natural in the bass to me, such as having less bass decay/movement of air, and sometimes worse subbass extension than DD. Even the most expensive all BA IEM I've heard (QDC Anole VX) has not as good timbre as some cheaper DD sets.
I'm just going to stand on my soapbox for a minute here. I enjoy reading your comments, @baskingshark, so I don't mean to be disagreeable toward you specifically.

The idea that BAs have worse timbre than DDs has reached the level of dogma, as far as I can tell. I'm not as experienced with gear as the frequent posters here, but based on my own experience, I don't buy it. BAs and DDs both tend to have problems with tonal accuracy. They just have different problems, and apparently, more people prefer the compromises of DDs. My favorite set now is the TRN BA5. The now-classic example of good timbre is the BL-03. I like that one, too, and it used to be my favorite in my stable. But its defects gradually wore me out, and to me, that has a lot to do with their tonal accuracy. As a classical music listener, if I'm listening to a string quartet and the cello sounds bloated and dominating, that's not tonally accurate. If I'm listening to a string bass soli passage in a symphony and I can barely make out the individual pitches because low frequency reproduction is too slow, that's not tonally accurate. If I can't hear resonances from the performance space, that's not tonally accurate. If response is too slow for me to hear the friction of a bow as it's drawn across a string, that's not tonally accurate. For issues like these, I think my BA5 is significantly better than my BL-03. The BL-03 makes some lovely sounds, but they aren't always realistic sounds. When I read about DD timbre being better, the meaning I get is that someone prefers the distortions of a DD set over the distortions of a BA set, just like someone might prefer tubes to solid state.

My first Chi-Fi IEM was a KZ ZS10 Pro, and I thought it's tonal accuracy was really bad, so I am not trying to over-generalize here. I guess that's part of my point. This is just my opinion and you might be right to generalize, but I think we should hesitate before repeating this particular generalization. I think another point worth making is that there is not a clear distinction between tonal accuracy and technical proficiency. A deficiency in one can be interpreted as a deficiency in the other in a lot of cases, I would imagine.

On a side note, I resist using the word "timbre," which as far as I can tell BGGAR popularized, because I'm a former musician and timbre is something I understand as relating to an individual instrument or musician. Saying a speaker or IEM has a good timbre isn't as crazy as saying an IEM has good pitch, but it's almost as strange to me. Can you say what an orchestra's timbre is like? No, because an orchestra has infinite colors at its disposal. So it makes even less sense to say an IEM has a timbre. An IEM reproduces the timbre of an instrument, perhaps, but it doesn't have timbre like a trumpet or a violin. I realize people use it as a shorthand and this is a pedantic point, but an IEM should reproduce tonal colors/quality accurately. It can't have a timbre. Maybe this just reflects a bias because I've been using the word "timbre" in a different way my whole life, so feel free to correct me.

OK, I feel better! Thanks for reading if you made it this far! :sweat_smile:

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #48,672 of 100,990
Water should have no flavor, but most of us don’t find this to be true. Speakers, drivers, anything used to reproduce sound should have no timbre of their own, and be fully transparent. but there is no such thing. They all add their own colorations, or “timbre“. They themselves are “instruments”.

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #48,673 of 100,990
Water should have no flavor, but most of us don’t find this to be true. Speakers, drivers, anything used to reproduce sound should have no timbre of their own, and be fully transparent. but there is no such thing. They all add their own colorations, or “timbre“. They themselves are “instruments”.
The quotations are doing a lot of work to expand the definition. Coloration is a better word to me than timbre. Is a television an instrument, but an instrument for visual information? Maybe, but only insofar as any tool can be called an instrument, and I'm talking about music.

Aug 1, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #48,674 of 100,990
Question for you: How many of you knew Little Dot made in-ears? I'll admit, amps, cd transport, dacs, sure - in-ears nope. Well they do and I recently got the chance to review all four models.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-cu-rad.24353/reviews

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-cu-series-wyn.24525/reviews

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-cu-series-cen.24526/reviews

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/little-dot-cu-series-kis.24527/reviews

If you want the full sized photos or graphs, hit my blog, I just did a quick cut and paste here so they are the thumbnails.

I still very much enjoy my LD I+ but this was news for me.

Great work and thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back