The discovery thread!
Jul 16, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #48,286 of 100,910
Guys, I have to say I got the Pizen DLC a while ago and I was having too much fun with the TRI I3 to give them much attention. I got them thanks to @TheVortex.

At £37 to £42, I thought it was worth a punt. Boy, are worth every penny.....and many £££$$$€€€ more in my view.

They do need burn-in and some power, but for me they get better and better each day. Coming from the TRI I3, I think the Pizen have proved that they can impress, not that they will replace the TRI I3 for me but if you pick them up after good IEMs they will give you a lot of pleasure.

I do not consider myself a basshead, but well implemented bass is what everyone who loves their music wants, although the extent of the bass thump we like varies between us. The Pizen DLC, a single Dynamic Driver with Diamond Like Coating (DLC) is not forgiving, if the recording is poor, they will not mask the flaws. They give you bass which is deep and mature (the recording allowing). My view is that good bass gives other frequencies good body where they may otherwise be thin or just flat. The mids are just right, to my ears, not forward and certainly not recessed. The treble is a joy (again, if the recording allows) but every note on a well recorded is delivered with a certain quality which I can only describe as the auditory version of the difference between the feel of jute and velvet.

What most convinced me is having just received my IMR Every Day Planar (EDP) I was burning them in, so I chose to listen to music on the Pizen. After a while I then listened to the the EDP after only a few hours burn-in...I could not resist....and yes, the EDP are exceptional, deep rich bass and detailed mids and treble, but it is early days. On picking up the Pizen driven by the FIIO BTR5 I realised how enjoyable the Pizen are, despite coming from the wonderful EDP and of course the TRI I3.

I do not claim to have listened to so many IEMs that I can say they are as good as , better than, or inferior to, any other IEMs, especially bass baias IEMs but I really enjoyed them and would recommend them because, to my ears, they deliver enjoyable music.

Big thanks to @TheVortex for the initial recommendation.

P.S: When buying from Ali, beware that there is a fixed cable version, if you want a detachable cable, which I recommend, take care to avoid the fixed cable. Also use a good copper cable or SPC.
Sounds interesting on the pizen...

What do you think of the EDP versus the I3 so far? I have the Rah and I3 and because of the openness of the Rah they're much different than I expected.... And one isn't heads and shoulders better.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #48,287 of 100,910
Sounds interesting on the pizen...

What do you think of the EDP versus the I3 so far? I have the Rah and I3 and because of the openness of the Rah they're much different than I expected.... And one isn't heads and shoulders better.

The operative phrase here is, "so far", nonetheless, I have to say that as much as I love the TRI I3, the EDPs are just wonderful. The EDP provides such detail in each of the frequencies that for me they are a step above the TRI I3. Above all they provide detail without taking the pleasure out of listening to music because the EDPs are harmonic, they allow you to enjoy taking in the music rather than wanting your attention on each and every note.

It feels like you are at the recording studio listening. On sound stage, the TRI i3 are better and I still love them but the EDPs are ahead.

They are worthy of the words used in the marketing blurb, and I quote:

"The EDP is here to obliterate any other planar in-ear monitor in the sub £300 price bracket and many more priced above!"

Lofty aspirations but it looks like they may be close if not there. I will give it some time, but so far, they are good....or rather, exceptional.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #48,288 of 100,910
Guys, I have to say I got the Pizen DLC a while ago and I was having too much fun with the TRI I3 to give them much attention. I got them thanks to @TheVortex.

At £37 to £42, I thought it was worth a punt. Boy, are worth every penny.....and many £££$$$€€€ more in my view.

They do need burn-in and some power, but for me they get better and better each day. Coming from the TRI I3, I think the Pizen have proved that they can impress, not that they will replace the TRI I3 for me but if you pick them up after good IEMs they will give you a lot of pleasure.

I do not consider myself a basshead, but well implemented bass is what everyone who loves their music wants, although the extent of the bass thump we like varies between us. The Pizen DLC, a single Dynamic Driver with Diamond Like Coating (DLC) is not forgiving, if the recording is poor, they will not mask the flaws. They give you bass which is deep and mature (the recording allowing). My view is that good bass gives other frequencies good body where they may otherwise be thin or just flat. The mids are just right, to my ears, not forward and certainly not recessed. The treble is a joy (again, if the recording allows) but every note on a well recorded is delivered with a certain quality which I can only describe as the auditory version of the difference between the feel of jute and velvet.

new-technology-2020-PIZEN-DLC-Carbon-diaphragm-in-ear-earphone-Diamond-Like-Carbon-with-OCC-ca...jpgnew-technology-2020-PIZEN-DLC-Carbon-diaphragm-in-ear-earphone-Diamond-Like-Carbon-with-OCC-ca...jpg

What most convinced me is having just received my IMR Every Day Planar (EDP) I was burning them in, so I chose to listen to music on the Pizen. After a while I then listened to the the EDP after only a few hours burn-in...I could not resist....and yes, the EDP are exceptional, deep rich bass and detailed mids and treble, but it is early days. On picking up the Pizen driven by the FIIO BTR5 I realised how enjoyable the Pizen are, despite coming from the wonderful EDP and of course the TRI I3.

I do not claim to have listened to so many IEMs that I can say they are as good as , better than, or inferior to, any other IEMs, especially bass baias IEMs but I really enjoyed them and would recommend them because, to my ears, they deliver enjoyable music.

Big thanks to @TheVortex for the initial recommendation.

P.S: When buying from Ali, beware that there is a fixed cable version, if you want a detachable cable, which I recommend, take care to avoid the fixed cable. Also use a good copper cable or SPC.

I am glad you like them :)

Here is my video of them if anyone is interested.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #48,291 of 100,910
I posted some initial impressions and measurements of the XELASTEC eartips in the eartips thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-58#post-15739456
I've tried them with a couple more IEMs since then and I can't really say that they improve any of them. Disappointing. The one nice thing about them is they don't irritate my ears the way silicone eartips do.

Jul 16, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #48,292 of 100,910
Can anyone compare Azla Xelastec and FInal E tips soundwise? Both have big bass. Which one has bigger?
I find that the Final E tips seem to pretty consistently calm upper mids and treble, and make the bass seem relatively more. More importantly, with few exceptions, they don’t seem to introduce additional resonances, but rather affect the FR more smoothly.

The Xelastec tips increase the bass response in some, but not all IEMs. What they seem to do is cause resonances in the mid bass and treble regions. With some of my IEMs, they make the mid bass punchier, but still clean. With others, they make the mid bass boomy and muddy. With some, they make the treble bright and splashy, yet with others, they don’t seem to affect treble much. The only way to know is to try them. So far, I haven’t preferred the Xelastec tips over my prior chosen ear tips on any IEM I’ve tried them on. Their real strong suit is if you’re having a lot of trouble getting a good seal. They are also comfortable. Their tackiness makes them more of a challenge to keep clean, and they can be more difficult to insert.

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #48,293 of 100,910
@audio123, thank you so much for your feedback.
I also prefer the MMCX cable termination, so the advantage there for IT00.
By your comment may I infer NM2 is more detailed that IT00?.
Also, how they compare in regards to dynamics and instrument separation?
which is more suitable for progressive rock, which is the genre I listen to the most?
And last, how is the isolation on both?
TIA, Jose

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #48,294 of 100,910
I posted some initial impressions and measurements of the XELASTEC eartips in the eartips thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/page-58#post-15739456
I've tried them with a couple more IEMs since then and I can't really say that they improve any of them. Disappointing. The one nice thing about them is they don't irritate my ears the way silicone eartips do.
Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:That peak after 15K might be what I need to fix Penon Orb treble. Tomorrow I'll receive set of Xelastec and find out. I'm already about halfway to my goal FR with it (by cable swapping), just sounds like it can use a boost at that area. Would be better if it picked up at 12K but might do anyway.

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #48,295 of 100,910
@audio123, thank you so much for your feedback.
I also prefer the MMCX cable termination, so the advantage there for IT00.
By your comment may I infer NM2 is more detailed that IT00?.
Also, how they compare in regards to dynamics and instrument separation?
which is more suitable for progressive rock, which is the genre I listen to the most?
And last, how is the isolation on both?
TIA, Jose
I wouldn't say it is more detailed, just that a brighter presentation. For dynamics and progressive rock, IT00. Isolation is just like any other DD IEMs. Cheers.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #48,297 of 100,910
Thanks a lot! :thumbsup:That peak after 15K might be what I need to fix Penon Orb treble. Tomorrow I'll receive set of Xelastec and find out. I'm already about halfway to my goal FR with it (by cable swapping), just sounds like it can use a boost at that area. Would be better if it picked up at 12K but might do anyway.

They do help with calming the treble in most of my sets. and like @IEMusic stated, it can make the bass on some sets elevate nicely, and in others, it made them a bit thick or muddy as he said. Definitely not as consistent as say the JVC Spiral Dots, but you gotta love the seal. So comfortable.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #48,298 of 100,910
Do you find the QC on the IT00 to be better than
IT01? I have driver flex problems with IT01 and also big time mmcx left connector issues, which left the IEM basically not useable.

Loved the sound in the beginning when everything was working better.
Definitely, I guess that's why new products are better. Cheers.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #48,299 of 100,910
DSC07335.JPG

KS2 in the house. $25 hybrids. So far I dont hear anything out of place. Sounds a bit on the V shaped signature. Airy vocals on a $25 earphone? These sound damn good for $25. This thing is begging for a thick SPC cable though. Will try this and that. They need a burn in too but so far so good. KBEAR making a statement with these?

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #48,300 of 100,910
Do you find the QC on the IT00 to be better than
IT01? I have driver flex problems with IT01 and also big time mmcx left connector issues, which left the IEM basically not useable.

Loved the sound in the beginning when everything was working better.
I would convert it to 0.78 pins with this:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000240601042.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.2aa93c00tpGguo&mp=1
1594956365737.png1594956886333.png
You can glue it with black hot glue or putty. I have a Hot glue gun loaded with black sticks for stuff like this. If you ever want to detach, - hot glue looses adhesion on contact with methanol. I also put silicon ear-tips on the connector for protection and streamlined look. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back