The discovery thread!
Nov 8, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #44,626 of 106,628
For those in the US, Bloom Audio carries the regular Cupid, but not the Cupid Basic. Dunno if they plan to or not. The Basic would appeal to me because I have good single-ended portable amp options, so balanced is not a must-have. Then again, since the connectors are semi-proprietary, maybe it makes more sense to get the 2.5 anyway.

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #44,627 of 106,628
PenonSPHERE-iemf.jpg

Will be getting a set of Penon's Spheres. Single BA earphone for review. Will let you all know how these are.

I have to admit I don't expect these to be ground breaking. Don't know too many single BAs that can cover the entire sound spectrum adequately to my ears. I will be pleasantly surprised if it does. Looking forward to hearing these.
Nope was introduced yesterday. Though I have a good idea how they are gonna sound. The silver and blue filters gonna change up the way the stock NX7 sounds. warmest sounding with most bass will be the blue filter. Even though with blue filter the upper mids and lower treble will be tamed down should still have some sparkle up top. I have a pair coming my way. Will do a full review on them and how they have changed from the stock NX7.
Hb84062d8a99f4a9aa4e2fbbdb0a87f47p.jpg
Is it known what are the specifications of the BAs and the crossover frequencies between the DD and BAs, and BAs and piezo?

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #44,629 of 106,628
For those in the US, Bloom Audio carries the regular Cupid, but not the Cupid Basic. Dunno if they plan to or not. The Basic would appeal to me because I have good single-ended portable amp options, so balanced is not a must-have. Then again, since the connectors are semi-proprietary, maybe it makes more sense to get the 2.5 anyway.

How hard are the Cupids to drive? I really only listen out of my phone. They don't seem to be available anywhere.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #44,632 of 106,628
How hard are the Cupids to drive? I really only listen out of my phone. They don't seem to be available anywhere.

Based on specs, should not be hard to drive. Can't always tell from specs, of course.

Specs are accurate. They can handle plenty of power, but you can drive them well with pretty much anything. Believe they are struggling to keep up with demand from the oBravo factory, but @PhilW is usually the man in the know with Cupid availability - what part of the world are you in?

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #44,633 of 106,628
Specs are accurate. They can handle plenty of power, but you can drive them well with pretty much anything. Believe they are struggling to keep up with demand from the oBravo factory, but @PhilW is usually the man in the know with Cupid availability - what part of the world are you in?
I’m in the US. I checked Bloom Audio but there’s no mention of the Basic.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #44,635 of 106,628
How would you compare the two sound signatures ?
I'm not a reviewer and it's been a month since I've listened to the KPE, so I would need to do some A-B-ing to give a more accurate impression of the differences. I'm busy this weekend so I probably won't get around to doing a comparison until early next week. What I can say for certain based on memory; is that the KPE is more tonally correct, but has less detail. I use the NX7 when I'm listening to new music or rediscovering old favourites that I never owned on vinyl or CD. They are incredibly detailed and I can easily pick out the words in a song, or follow individual instruments. Separation is excellent with the NX7. The KPE, on the other hand, is slightly warmer and smoother by a touch; and also has a wider and deeper soundstage. Bass presentation on both are similar, and give a deep but tight rendering. Neither are boomy sounding, but both reach deep into the sub bass. If you don't mind using a bit of EQ, both iems respond well to it. The NX7 seems easier to tweak though, especially in the bass. Best way I can describe the differences is this: KPE is like looking through a big window, where you see more of the big picture. NX7 is like looking through a magnifying glass that is more vivid, but separates everything out a bit more. Honestly, both are great. It all depends on your personal preferences and the genres of music you would be listening to. To be totally honest, I haven't listened much to either the KPE or the NX7 in the past month. I've been finally enjoying my TFZ NO.3 much more, because I've been listening to alot of old school bass heavy dance music from the 80's and 90's; which I have downloaded from Spotify premium. When I get tired of listening to that genre and rap/hip-hop, I'll listen to other genres and just swap my earphones to get the best sound out of what I'm listening to at that moment.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #44,636 of 106,628
I'm not a reviewer and it's been a month since I've listened to the KPE, so I would need to do some A-B-ing to give a more accurate impression of the differences. I'm busy this weekend so I probably won't get around to doing a comparison until early next week. What I can say for certain based on memory; is that the KPE is more tonally correct, but has less detail. I use the NX7 when I'm listening to new music or rediscovering old favourites that I never owned on vinyl or CD. They are incredibly detailed and I can easily pick out the words in a song, or follow individual instruments. Separation is excellent with the NX7. The KPE, on the other hand, is slightly warmer and smoother by a touch; and also has a wider and deeper soundstage. Bass presentation on both are similar, and give a deep but tight rendering. Neither are boomy sounding, but both reach deep into the sub bass. If you don't mind using a bit of EQ, both iems respond well to it. The NX7 seems easier to tweak though, especially in the bass. Best way I can describe the differences is this: KPE is like looking through a big window, where you see more of the big picture. NX7 is like looking through a magnifying glass that is more vivid, but separates everything out a bit more. Honestly, both are great. It all depends on your personal preferences and the genres of music you would be listening to. To be totally honest, I haven't listened much to either the KPE or the NX7 in the past month. I've been finally enjoying my TFZ NO.3 much more, because I've been listening to alot of old school bass heavy dance music from the 80's and 90's; which I have downloaded from Spotify premium. When I get tired of listening to that genre and rap/hip-hop, I'll listen to other genres and just swap my earphones to get the best sound out of what I'm listening to at that moment.

had both, and i completely confer with your ears. excellent comparison, unless you mean the original kanas? i had the kanas pro, and the NX7 kicks the MKP's behiney in every way but bass quantity and soundstage. the MKP is all about smoothness and musicality, with a warm thick note presentation, while the NX7 is all about details, bass quality, separation, and a more transparent note presentation.

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #44,637 of 106,628
had both, and i completely confer with your ears. excellent comparison, unless you mean the original kanas? i had the kanas pro, and the NX7 kicks the MKP's behiney in every way but bass quantity and soundstage. the MKP is all about smoothness and musicality, with a warm thick note presentation, while the NX7 is all about details, bass quality, separation, and a more transparent note presentation.
My comparison was with the Kanas Pro, NOT the original Kanas. I'm glad you concur with my opinion. It's always nice to know that there are others out there that hear things similarly. I really do enjoy both these iems...I just use them for listening to my music when I'm in different moods. Sometimes I really want to have the details in my face, so that's when I choose the NX7. Other times, when I'm looking for a bit more of a relaxed sound, I'll choose the KPE. It all depends on what I'm looking for at any given time. If I'm rocking some heavy dance club type tunes, I'll use my TFZ No.3. If I'm just wanting to listen to something that works decent on all genres and I'm not being too analytical (in other words, just a decent daily driver that is fun and provides enough musical satisfaction), I love my KZ ZS10 PRO for that.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #44,639 of 106,628
I’m in the US. I checked Bloom Audio but there’s no mention of the Basic.

I suggest dropping @PhilW a note to enquire - he's the main distributor for the EU and works very closely with oBravo, so he will probably know if you can get hold of the basic and from where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back