The discovery thread!
Mar 31, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #35,236 of 106,525
Interesting tactic by Easy Cheezy. Even though the anniversary sales are done. They have decided to prolong their sales for another 24 hours. Great tactic if you ask me.

So for guys that are regretting the fact that they missed out.. You have another chance. It looks like prices have not changed from the anniversary sale.

I gave in myself and got this cable posted by Kova.
HTB1.DeebRnTBKNjSZPfq6zf1XXaY.jpg

$61 with yesterdays coupon. $66 now. Overall I went a bit crazy on the cables as I bought 7 new cables overall including the one they give with the HQ6. and 2 of them being pure silver.

Why so many you ask? Why not!
Awaiting your hq6 review

Mar 31, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #35,237 of 106,525
Ah, it turned out cheaper for me coz I did my secret schemes and coupon counting, so I saved about 20 bucks on top of the discounted price for the two cables I got yesterday. They were 100 bucks discounted and I paid 80

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #35,238 of 106,525
Have any of you guy's seen shorter (~60 cm) iem cables (mmcx and/or 2-pin) on Aliexpress? The only one I can find is the FiiO mmcx with single ended plug. I'd like some more alternatives, preferably balanced.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #35,239 of 106,525
Man, Aliexptess is one of the worst sites to navigate (at least for me). Found 1 cable I might go for (after an hour of searching... Thankfully I'm stuck on a car inspection line (still there...) , had lots of time to kill and kept me busy. In the end, only found something with a link on this thread! Sheeesh!

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #35,240 of 106,525
Then, I can't sign in or sign up.
Just not worth the aggravation ..

I give up... Save me some money on stuff I don't need ..

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #35,241 of 106,525
Have any of you guy's seen shorter (~60 cm) iem cables (mmcx and/or 2-pin) on Aliexpress? The only one I can find is the FiiO mmcx with single ended plug. I'd like some more alternatives, preferably balanced.

Yeah, things like the Radsone and BTR1 successors are getting interesting but not w/o some short cables :) There is also the armband case sports deal too. Not sure why short cord is so absent. Should be .5M versions of several of these cables. Ebay seems to have some more than on Ali or they are easier to find there.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #35,242 of 106,525
Yeah, things like the Radsone and BTR1 successors are getting interesting but not w/o some short cables :) There is also the armband case sports deal too. Not sure why short cord is so absent. Should be .5M versions of several of these cables. Ebay seems to have some more than on Ali or they are easier to find there.

Exactly, I'm totally digging the Radsone EarStudio so far (enough to probably never buy another DAP again) and I've got the FiiO short MMCX single ended cable that works great but I'd like some 2-pin options as well since both the Big Dipper and ASG-1PLUS uses that connector. I'll probably pick up the balanced MMCX version from FiiO as well until other manufacturers start to catch up. Maybe I'll ask Lee if VE can start making them.....

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #35,243 of 106,525
Exactly, I'm totally digging the Radsone EarStudio so far (enough to probably never buy another DAP again) and I've got the FiiO short MMCX single ended cable that works great but I'd like some 2-pin options as well since both the Big Dipper and ASG-1PLUS uses that connector. I'll probably pick up the balanced MMCX version from FiiO as well until other manufacturers start to catch up. Maybe I'll ask Lee if VE can start making them.....

Wow. I still strongly prefer my DAPs for simplicity of use & sound without dropouts, but I do find it super nifty as a gadget, especially the EQ/DSP feature & volume controls it gives to Android without having to root/SU etc... I think it sounds ok as long as I play lossless (guessing this is transcoding type issues), maybe I need to get a phone with AptX HD to get full benefit with streaming & lossy music.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #35,244 of 106,525
Wow. I still strongly prefer my DAPs for simplicity of use & sound without dropouts, but I do find it super nifty as a gadget, especially the EQ/DSP feature & volume controls it gives to Android without having to root/SU etc... I think it sounds ok as long as I play lossless (guessing this is transcoding type issues), maybe I need to get a phone with AptX HD to get full benefit with streaming & lossy music.

For portable use my priority is simplicity over sound quality as soon as I find the latter acceptable enough not to bother me.

I've already got a few very good DAPs and portable DACs and might not have said what I did if I hadn't but I see myself stream a lot more music lately than I used to and the way I feel right now I'd never buy a DAP with streaming capabilities (for several reasons such as price, user friendly, possible interference from WiFi connection etc). Also the EarStudio is super lightweight, I can take phonecalls through it (even in balanced mode) and it's powerful enough to drive anything I'd like to use on the move. For me it's the perfect balance between usability and sound quality, as always YMMV of course :wink:

Edit: I've also experienced extremely few drop outs with it so far.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #35,245 of 106,525
Man, Aliexptess is one of the worst sites to navigate (at least for me). Found 1 cable I might go for (after an hour of searching... Thankfully I'm stuck on a car inspection line (still there...) , had lots of time to kill and kept me busy. In the end, only found something with a link on this thread! Sheeesh!

Last day of the month NJ car inspection, gotta love it :D Just don't tell Nic you are buying cables from AE :wink:

Mar 31, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #35,246 of 106,525
Man, was that a nightmare! Had to wait 2+ hours to have the inspection workers be rude to me...but it's done. ( and, it was my DAUGHTER'S car that needed the inspection before she's back at college again, sheesh!)
Didn't wind up with any of the cables...need some more 2 pin cables, have some mmcx, including a nice balanced Effect Audio mmcx cable. Everything "audiophile" is just so amazingly expensive...(previously bought 2 cables from Aliexpress, 2 pin, not balanced, came in a nice wood box. Haven't ever used them...)

(and there's always this fantasy that some Chinese manufacturer is selling a cable or other gear that generally sells for $500+ for just $50...).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #35,247 of 106,525
Oh man you have a nice collection now,
The cable is also looks beautiful , can you tell me this cable has memory wire portion or not ,? in picture it is not so clear to me , thanks.

It don't look like it has a stiff memory wire portion but it does look like it is naturally curled on the connector. The cable seems to be a new item so we won't really know until we get them. They just shipped the cable but has not yet shipped the HQ6.

It seems to me these guys don't actually have a lot of the items to be shipped right away. I bet they do custom orders as they come in and start making them. Eagerly awaiting the 6BA earphones and the cables to go with them.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #35,248 of 106,525
Happy Easter to the discovery thread people!

I am usually one that finds a lot of stuff to discover. Wondering if I missed something. The best, and really only, option for a BT headphone for my needs atm is the MEE Matrix Cinema.
matrixcinema-11.jpg

Not seeing better for the features:
- Good battery life
- Over ear yet light (225 grams)
- Solid sound quality based on early impressions and has aptX
- On board EQ settings(well thought out and useful) without the need of an app(my A45 doesn't do apps)
- 3.5mm in usable with no mods needed for other cables.

Also not expensive and the MEE support/warranty is solid.

Anything I have missed to really compete with this??

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #35,249 of 106,525
I love MEE products and I agree with everything you said

but for bluetooth with an iPhone its impossible to go back to normal BT after having used beats or apple sets with the W1 chip,
I don't love the sound of the beats, but normal BT is an insufferable mess compared to apples w1 implementation

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #35,250 of 106,525
So I will finally be getting my BGVP DS1. Apparently after releasing first batch of the DS1 they redid the tuning to look like this.
HTB1ng7qcamWBuNjy1Xaq6xCbXXa4.jpg

From this initial graph.

HTB1.w_DXFOWBuNjy0Fiq6xFxVXaJ.jpg

So the TN version sold on Penonaudio represents the latter and the newer version is the V shaped graph above. Will have my TN version today. Kinda poopy of them to change up tuning and still call it DS1. You figure they would just have 2 versions. Thankfully Penonaudio carries both version. I suspect the TN version will be more popular vs the standard V shaped FR of the newer DS1.

Lol. I just realized they call the retuning. DEBUGing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back