The discovery thread!
Jan 24, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #34,981 of 100,524
Before I got the A5 I told someone that LZ better step it up with them because the SD7 hybrid was getting awfawfu close to the A4 (I can easily imaimag some people preferring the SD7 over the A4 although my preferences are still more towards the A4). To me LZ came through with the A5, it best both the A4 and the SD7 hybrid imo. Please note that I haven't sat down and done a detailed three way comparison yet but these are the onlo three IEM's I've used the last 7-10 days.

Sound quality and ergonomics are both top notch with the A5 to me but that's with another cable than the stock one (the memory wire just does does work for me) and accessories are not exactly class leading for the price. The SD7 does also isolate quite a bit better. I'll definitely be doing a thorough comparison in my A5 review but I'll be in Germany on a business trip next week so it'll probably be a couple of weeks before it's up.....

Edit: please remember that my SD7 are the hybrid version. I've already got the SA6, B400 and not the least the Big Dipper as multi BAs so it's not likely that I'll pick up the plus version.
Hi Peter, so your SD7 is not the 'plus' with 7 BAs?
Many thanks

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #34,982 of 100,524
He has the SD7 hybrid model. I just did a quick A/B using my Pono and both are similar in sonics. The SD7 plus has a slight fullness and a bit more forward in the upper mids but otherwise similar in tonality and overall SQ. Bass is different in that the SD7 hybrid uses a dynamic driver and the plus using probably 2 BAs both are tuned to have about the same emphasis in bass region. I do notice the SD7 plus has a bit more height in sound hence a bit more layering.

I would say the SD7 Hybrid model is the better value between both models and it sounds about 90% similar to the SD7 plus. This is just tentative as I only had 2 days of burn in on the SD7 plus but this is what I am hearing thus far.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #34,983 of 100,524
Tbh, for great quality subbass the A5 are pretty bad ass. Definitely the IEM's with best subbass quality/quantity I've heard. Yet the midrange is very clean with great resolution.

Imo the A5 better the A4 in soundstage width, subbass quality, resolution, clarity and a more rich midrange.
I have the LZ A4 and Kinera H3 which are both 1 DD + 2 BA hybrids and I find that for me I'm happy enough with the bass and sub bass, its higher than that, what I think of as lower midrange, say 200 - 350 (or 400) Hz seems recessed compared to the rest of the spectrum. I bought the A4 on 11.11 to get the price down. The approximate $100 more for the A5 would be really pushing my self imposed really I need to remember that it takes money to eat austerity measures :ksc75smile: The Brainwavz B200 has a smoother across the spectrum sound to my ear but don't really have enough really low bass and sub bass for me. Blame it all on the amazing deal price of $225 I paid for a pristine used pair of Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart headphones for my conundrum. :smiling_imp:

Guess that's why the SD7 hybrid or plus appeals more.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #34,984 of 100,524
Before I got the A5 I told someone that LZ better step it up with them because the SD7 hybrid was getting awfawfu close to the A4 (I can easily imaimag some people preferring the SD7 over the A4 although my preferences are still more towards the A4). To me LZ came through with the A5, it best both the A4 and the SD7 hybrid imo. Please note that I haven't sat down and done a detailed three way comparison yet but these are the onlo three IEM's I've used the last 7-10 days.

Sound quality and ergonomics are both top notch with the A5 to me but that's with another cable than the stock one (the memory wire just does does work for me) and accessories are not exactly class leading for the price. The SD7 does also isolate quite a bit better. I'll definitely be doing a thorough comparison in my A5 review but I'll be in Germany on a business trip next week so it'll probably be a couple of weeks before it's up.....

Edit: please remember that my SD7 are the hybrid version. I've already got the SA6, B400 and not the least the Big Dipper as multi BAs so it's not likely that I'll pick up the plus version.

Good sir, how does the A5 do vs. the B400(which cable)?

I can extrapolate from stock as I have a good cable choice(lucky blind buy:ksc75smile:) on mine and the B400 are a bit bigger, sharper notes, more clarity/transparency, and bass has a bit more punch/feel than the B400 with the BW Frosty cable. Less smooth and a bit more HiFi.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #34,985 of 100,524
I have the LZ A4 and Kinera H3 which are both 1 DD + 2 BA hybrids and I find that for me I'm happy enough with the bass and sub bass, its higher than that, what I think of as lower midrange, say 200 - 350 (or 400) Hz seems recessed compared to the rest of the spectrum. I bought the A4 on 11.11 to get the price down. The approximate $100 more for the A5 would be really pushing my self imposed really I need to remember that it takes money to eat austerity measures :ksc75smile: The Brainwavz B200 has a smoother across the spectrum sound to my ear but don't really have enough really low bass and sub bass for me. Blame it all on the amazing deal price of $225 I paid for a pristine used pair of Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart headphones for my conundrum. :smiling_imp:

Guess that's why the SD7 hybrid or plus appeals more.

Both are excellent with bass and sub bass rumble. I think if guys plan on using the Rhythmos SD7s in balanced the hybrid model is better to my ears in balanced due to the mids not being as forward sounding. However if your sources are mostly single ended I would go Rhythmos SD7 plus.

I have been listening a bit using my SD7 plus in balanced and it already has a very dimensional sound so not a big difference in balanced. I think the hybrid model benefits more and end up sounding like the plus model when in balanced mode.

Jan 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #34,986 of 100,524
Interesting note on the Adv S2000. Been using it strictly for the gym the past month or so, lightweight & solid cable plus the energetic nature of the sound sig is perfect for work outs the one thing I'm noticing is that the (crappy) memory wire is actually developing rusting it looks like, yay for my sweat lol.

Jan 24, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #34,987 of 100,524

Thank you very much Peter for your this detailed and helpful post , so it's clear now that the the SD7+ is better than A4 but the FR graph of SD7+ confusing me a bit , hope Brooko will post the FR graph of A5 some day and i will able to see how it looks like,

Jan 25, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #34,991 of 100,524
Well so there seems to be some changes to the sound. My goodness fellas. I put on a different cable on my SD7 plus today. These things in balanced is outrageous. I know I mentioned they don't need to be in balanced to be as dimensional as they are. Don't think people will complain how they sound in single end. But.

Don't know what happened between last night and this morning but I have my silver coated copper balanced cable I was using my PX on these out of my M3s. Just stupendous sound I am getting from these. I am getting that surround vibe like crazy today with these out of balanced. In balanced these sound every bit as engaging as my Sony Z5 in balanced. And that is not so easy to do.

It is amazing how encompassing these sound now. So there seems to be some sonic changes with cables and the constant burn in I have them on. Will have some more thoughts on them later.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #34,992 of 100,524
I was debating on ordering the SD7, but decided to try the slightly cheaper 6-driver version and also a much more expensive 12-driver iem from aliexpress from this seller:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1922340?spm=2114.10010108.100005.1.62de639bISGWb7
*If any well known reviewer wants to try either of them and review them after they arrive, do let me know via PM*

85 dollars for a 6-driver and a 12-driver for 500 dollars piqued my interest, and the 12-driver had solid drivers (30017+30017+31323+31323+Sonion 33aj007+Sonion 33aj007) so I decided to give it a try.

My primary reason for ordering from them was because they had a no-questions full-return policy (confirmed through PM).
I was debating on ordering from Hisenior on their 10-driver unit since I own their 6-driver B6 and was very impressed by them. For the $160 I spent then, they were probably the best dollar per audio I've ever gotten from any audio purchases.

If the 12-drivers do not fit my ears or the 6-drivers don't sound very good I might exchange them for the SD7!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #34,993 of 100,524
I was debating on ordering the SD7, but decided to try the slightly cheaper 6-driver version and also a much more expensive 12-driver iem from aliexpress from this seller:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1922340?spm=2114.10010108.100005.1.62de639bISGWb7
*If any well known reviewer wants to try either of them and review them after they arrive, do let me know via PM*

85 dollars for a 6-driver and a 12-driver for 500 dollars piqued my interest, and the 12-driver had solid drivers (30017+30017+31323+31323+Sonion 33aj007+Sonion 33aj007) so I decided to give it a try.

My primary reason for ordering from them was because they had a no-questions full-return policy (confirmed through PM).
I was debating on ordering from Hisenior on their 10-driver unit since I own their 6-driver B6 and was very impressed by them. For the $160 I spent then, they were probably the best dollar per audio I've ever gotten from any audio purchases.

If the 12-drivers do not fit my ears or the 6-drivers don't sound very good I might exchange them for the SD7!
Let us know how it goes when they arrive. With no questions asked return policy I does make sense. The array of BAs looks good too.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #34,994 of 100,524

I would keep screenshots of that PM with them. Many sellers from AE fight returns and if they do accept it you have to pay super expensive shipping that has no tracking outside of the US

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #34,995 of 100,524
So I have been going back n forth from the Hybrid SD7 to the Plus SD7 and the more I get used to hearing the plus model the more I can tell the differences between the two models

I was testing out the treble on both and vocals in the mids and my initial thought of the hybrid model having more treble energy was correct. The hybrid is more closer to a U signature vs a W on the plus model. However the real differences comes from the treble area. Upper treble on the plus model is clearly heard but is not as emphasized as the Hybrid. There seems to be a bit more emphasis in the 5-7K range in the hybrid model too. The tonality is a bit brighter on the hybrid due to the upper mids and highs having more energy on the hybrid model vs the Plus.

While both models are good at staying away from sibilance. It is the plus model that win for vocal refinement with a touch less treble emphasis especially upper treble. The plus model has a slight warmth and better overall smoothness to the sound while the hybrid model is a bit more dryer sounding. The real crazy thing about these 2 is how bass emphasis is very identical to each other. While one is clearly using a dynamic for bass and you would figure that is where the hybrid model will clearly win over the plus.

I don't think so. The plus has an agility to the bass end the hybrid model is lacking a bit in. It is not a slow bass per se but due to the bass clearly being emphasized. You have to be a fan of bass in order to like these two models. The bass adapts to each tune better on the plus. Big and rumbly when it needs to be and no where to be found on bass light tracks.. I think tonality wise the bass end of the plus model also has a slight edge over the hybrid model. The bass just sounds smoother especially in the subs.

So in conclusion. I still think the hybrid SD7 is excellent but the more I am hearing the SD7 plus the more I am appreciating the slight refinements from bass to the mid ranges and toning down treble end some from the hybrid model. Some guys might actually prefer the more energetic treble end of the hybrids more so that is a matter of taste and to be honest the bass end is where I find almost identical in function and form with the edge going to the plus model for being able to pull off a very dynamic sounding bass end while using some BAs to do so. Very impressive.

Balanced out of both earphones are excellent and I think guys who are willing to give these a try will be rewarded with a very dimensional enjoyable earphone for not that much money. Hidden gems. both of em ABSOLUTELY!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back