The discovery thread!
Aug 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #29,866 of 106,711
I understand that you're reviewing the total package, but my brain is having a hard time reconciling the low-ish sound score with the four-star rating. Great review all the same. :xf_eek:

I understand that you're reviewing the total package, but my brain is having a hard time reconciling the low-ish sound score with the four-star rating. Great review all the same. :xf_eek:

No offense to twister but you how many companies are gonna come when you give them 1-3 star ratings, lol.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #29,867 of 106,711

As promised, Westone ADV Beta review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-adventure-series-beta-high-performance-earphones-78401/reviews/13724

Btw, just read Lachlan's Alpha review from 2 years ago, and his sound description of Alpha aligns with Beta (the same 6.5mm micro driver, alloy shell, detachable mmcx cable, and great response to EQ to correct that bass bloat
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I understand that you're reviewing the total package, but my brain is having a hard time reconciling the low-ish sound score with the four-star rating. Great review all the same.
redface.gif

That's why I made a disclaimer in the intro that my rating is based on $49 price tag, which I mentioned half a dozen of times throughout a review.  At $200 msrp or whatever was its selling price afterwards ($150? $100?) that would have been 3-star review.  But considering $49 price tag, its price/performance ratio went up.  With EQ tweaking you can actually get a good clean sound.  Just need to reduce mid-bass bloat and boost upper mids.

Aug 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #29,868 of 106,711

I understand that you're reviewing the total package, but my brain is having a hard time reconciling the low-ish sound score with the four-star rating. Great review all the same.
redface.gif

No offense to twister but you how many companies are gonna come when you give them 1-3 star ratings, lol.

No offense taken.  I had no plans to review this 2+ year old product anyway.  Thanks to @doctorjazz and a few other people who contacted me, it picked my interest because of that $49 price tag.  I didn't even get a new unit for review, but their old demo unit, and even Westone told me Beta is not in the same league when it comes to sound quality.

Personally, unless company insists, I will not even post 1 or 2 star reviews.  Being a "freelance" reviewer gives you a freedom to pick'n'choose what you want to review and when you want to review it, as well as "if" you want to review it.  At $49 these are rather good beater IEMs with replaceable cable.  They are not giant killers or some cool discovery, and their sound needs some serious EQ tweaking to make them sound good.  Just being honest
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #29,870 of 106,711
As promised, Westone ADV Beta review is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/westone-adventure-series-beta-high-performance-earphones-78401/reviews/13724

Btw, just read Lachlan's Alpha review from 2 years ago, and his sound description of Alpha aligns with Beta (the same 6.5mm micro driver, alloy shell, detachable mmcx cable, and great response to EQ to correct that bass bloat :)).
I have owned both Alpha and Beta and the Beta is much improved sonically over the Alpha from my experience.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #29,871 of 106,711
That's why I made a disclaimer in the intro that my rating is based on $49 price tag, which I mentioned half a dozen of times throughout a review.  At $200 msrp or whatever was its selling price afterwards ($150? $100?) that would have been 3-star review.  But considering $49 price tag, its price/performance ratio went up.  With EQ tweaking you can actually get a good clean sound.  Just need to reduce mid-bass bloat and boost upper mids.

No, I understand. I was just making a comment, sorry if I offended you.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #29,872 of 106,711

No, I understand. I was just making a comment, sorry if I offended you.

we all good
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #29,873 of 106,711
Guys I really need your advice as I cannot decide between E80, GT100S and CKR9. I'm looking for a bit more bass and refinement over my MK5. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #29,874 of 106,711
  Guys I really need your advice as I cannot decide between E80, GT100S and CKR9. I'm looking for a bit more bass and refinement over my MK5. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

The Focal Sphear is about to start being reviewed here, the scoop on the ebay CKR9 LTD's soon, the V-moda Zn soon as well. If the MK5 is pretty good wait a bit and then make a choice. Not like they are broken. If those CKR LTD's are real and you will kick your self if you just purchased the reg 9's. Also not sure about the bass amount of the Macaw even though you want only a "bit more". Or how much more, not having heard the Ety, refinement something like the E80 would have over it. Their tuning is great and the sound is transparent and natural but the refinement is only so much especially since the E80 treble is not the most extended or detailed to bring some of that. 

Your MK5 isn't broke and the others will still be there and maybe a bit cheaper, more of the E80 colors may come out soon, and the new options like above and others will become known and I usually advise to not jump on something close to the fall releases unless it doesn't bother you a bunch of new stuff comes right after you bought something :)

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #29,875 of 106,711

The Focal Sphear is about to start being reviewed here, the scoop on the ebay CKR9 LTD's soon, the V-moda Zn soon as well. If the MK5 is pretty good wait a bit and then make a choice. Not like they are broken. If those CKR LTD's are real and you will kick your self if you just purchased the reg 9's. Also not sure about the bass amount of the Macaw even though you want only a "bit more". Or how much more, not having heard the Ety, refinement something like the E80 would have over it. Their tuning is great and the sound is transparent and natural but the refinement is only so much especially since the E80 treble is not the most extended or detailed to bring some of that. 

Your MK5 isn't broke and the others will still be there and maybe a bit cheaper, more of the E80 colors may come out soon, and the new options like above and others will become known and I usually advise to not jump on something close to the fall releases unless it doesn't bother you a bunch of new stuff comes right after you bought something :)

Thank you jant. Yes, MK5 isn't broken and I can wait for CKR9 LTD and the others. No hurry here. 
wink.gif
  If CKR9 LTD is real I will jump on that for sure.

MK5 with Shure foam tips is really amazing but sometimes I can not get the right fit and this bothers me. But when it fits I feel like I don't need anymore IEMs. Someone here should try them. 
beerchug.gif

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #29,876 of 106,711
Vs. the Rockets is a good test. I had the Rockets and also Vlenbo's CKR9 on loan. The LTD's improved mids should hold up better than the regular 9's mids vs. the Rockets if real. Other things as well but that is a good start :)

Did you get the Expedited shipping, Selenium?? If so, how much was it?

Gratuitous FXT with bi-flanges shot as they look quite cool with them on and sound good as well with them...

I think there was only one shipping option. Slow. Actually it's probably pretty fast when you consider it's coming from the other side of the planet...I feel like I should stop complaining about that. Anyway, yeah. I figure I'll get them within a week. If everything I've read holds up they should play in the same league as everything good I currently have or even be better. I'm not going to fall prey to post-purchase rationalization and try to justify some mediocre sound.

Aug 9, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #29,877 of 106,711

Thank you jant. Yes, MK5 isn't broken and I can wait for CKR9 LTD and the others. No hurry here. 
wink.gif
  If CKR9 LTD is real I will jump on that for sure.

MK5 with Shure foam tips is really amazing but sometimes I can not get the right fit and this bothers me. But when it fits I feel like I don't need anymore IEMs. Someone here should try them. 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, hopefully Seleniums LTD come this week and they can be compared to the macaw I see is in the sig :) The Sphear is coming on Monday to someone so that is close and for some reason I think they will be good ones. Won't be long for a few interesting developments 
popcorn.gif

I would even recommend the FXT if they weren't a bit odd behaving with regards the front screens and how they change the difficulty in getting them to perform/tip dependency. Though happy in the end and best I have heard out of the recent stuff I have had/heard including the E80, Titan 1, IM-02, Rockets, and CKR9. The winner but not by that much over some of the others. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #29,878 of 106,711
Jant which fxt are you referring to? Rockets are my favorite ive heard, but that cable is too much for me. (I wear clip+ on my shoulder or chest when i workout and theres no give in cable)

Just ordered e80, as im considering a73 or dunu 2000j, although some have prefered the e80 over the a73

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #29,879 of 106,711
Jant which fxt are you referring to? Rockets are my favorite ive heard, but that cable is too much for me. (I wear clip+ on my shoulder or chest when i workout and theres no give in cable)

Just ordered e80, as im considering a73 or dunu 2000j, although some have prefered the e80 over the a73

He means the FXT200 twin turbo jets of titanium!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back