The discovery thread!
Mar 4, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #28,742 of 100,978
  My thoughts on the Duoza, Yamaha EPH 100, Ostry KC06A and the Tenore.

Bass: 
Tenore: Punchy, lots of subbass, a little bit of bloat overall, these are not bass-light (only after long hours of burn-in though).
Yamaha EPH 100: Strong punchy bass, heavy bass, bloat is similar to the Tenore, less than the Duoza, more than the KC06A
KC06A: Snappy, fast, strong punchy Bass, zero bloat, maybe a little bit too fast.
Duoza: Big, plenty of bass quantity,  subbass sounds more bloated than the other 3 phones, 

My preference: Yamaha EPH100 > KC06A > Tenore > Duoza

Vocals/mid range:
Tenore: Nice mid-range presence, vocal sound warm with quite an bit of body.
Yamaha EPH100: Slightly recessed, especially noticeable when listening with lower volumes, Vocals do not stand out, but still sound very good. Requires higher volume for really enjoyable vocals.
KC06A: Thick and lush, but at same time a more colder presentation than the other 3, presence is good, vocals have lots of energy
Duoza: Thick, warm vocals. a little bit of "veil" due to bass bloat.

My preference: KC06A > Duoza > Yamaha EPH 100 > Tenore

Treble:
Tenore; Treble roll-off, weak treble extension is noticeable, makes it more mid focused
Yamaha EPH 100: Good extension, smoothed out, can be rather thin though, sparkle is existent
KC06A: Superb extension(!), plenty of sparkle, yet smooth sounding due to lack of annoying peaks., lots of details.
Duoza: Good extension, smooth, less sparkle, but treble is clearly present

My preference: KC06A > Duoza > Yamaha EPH100 > Tenore

Soundstage/ way of presentation:
Tenore: Good, above average sound-stage, 
Yamaha EPH 100: 3d sound-stage, great depth and width. Experience is similar as if you are in the middle of a medium-sized room.
KC06A: Upfront, in your face like presentation, very wide, but no depth. Music is coming like a wall from a big stage in front of you instead of surrounding
Duoza: These sound very airy(!). Leaving lots of space between you and the music. The most noticeable characteristic of these phones imo. Feels like a big hall compared to the room-like experience on the other phones. Can be valued as both good or bad by preference and music.

My preference: Yamaha EPH 100 ~ Duoza, depending on music and mood > KC06A > Tenore

Fit / Isolation / comfort / build quality
Tenore: Deep insertion, good isolation, good comfort, okay build quality, cable looks fragile, but my pair has no issues even after months of heavy use
Yamaha EPH 100: Deep insertion, great isolation, great comfort, Build quality looks fine.
KC06A: Shallow insertion, average isolation with good tip, excellent build quality(!), these are build like a tank
Duoza: Shallow insertion, good isolation, great comfort, build quality looks fine, same cable as on the Tenore, but better strain relief afaik.

Final ratings:

Tenore: 8.2/10
Yamaha EPH100: 8.8/10
KC06A: 8.8/10
Duoza: 8.7/10

Ratings of my other phones in comparison:

Havi B3 p1: 7.7/10 - too thin, flat sounding for my taste, bass is rather weak too.
Sidy DGS 100: 7/10 - bass is bloated, recessed mids and highs
Sidy DM3: 5/10 - underwhelming
Pistons: 6.5/10 - Unspectacular V-sig

so EncoreAC, you  like the EH 100s best of all???

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #28,743 of 100,978
Very good comparison, Encore. Keep up the good work.

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #28,744 of 100,978

so EncoreAC, you  like the EH 100s best of all???

I edited a little bit at the end to summarize their characteristics, and no, as my ratings are displaying, I equally like the EPH100 and KC06A, with the Duoza falling slightly behind them. But each of them have strengths and weaknesses, that is why I put a ranking on each category and depending on how much you weight these factors you might prefer one or another.

One day I want strong bass and 3d sound-stage: EPH100
or another day I prefer an clear, upfront sound: KC06A
Sometimes I want to listen to something big, bassy and airy sounding: Duoza

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #28,745 of 100,978

Bass: 
Tenore: Punchy, lots of subbass, a little bit of bloat overall, these are not bass-light (only after long hours of burn-in though).
Yamaha EPH 100: Strong punchy bass, heavy bass, bloat is similar to the Tenore, less than the Duoza, more than the KC06A
KC06A: Snappy, fast, strong punchy Bass, zero bloat, maybe a little bit too fast.
Duoza: Big, plenty of bass quantity,  subbass sounds more bloated than the other 3 phones,

My preference: Yamaha EPH100 > KC06A > Tenore > Duoza

Vocals/mid range:
Tenore: Nice mid-range presence, vocal sound warm with quite an bit of body.
Yamaha EPH100: Slightly recessed, especially noticeable when listening with lower volumes, Vocals do not stand out, but still sound very good. Requires higher volume for really enjoyable vocals.
KC06A: Thick and lush, but at same time a more colder presentation than the other 3, presence is good, vocals have lots of energy
Duoza: Thick, warm vocals. a little bit of "veil" due to bass bloat.

My preference: KC06A > Duoza > Yamaha EPH 100 > Tenore

Treble:
Tenore; Treble roll-off, weak treble extension is noticeable, makes it more mid focused
Yamaha EPH 100: Good extension, smoothed out, can be rather thin though, sparkle is existent
KC06A: Superb extension(!), plenty of sparkle, yet smooth sounding due to lack of annoying peaks., lots of details.
Duoza: Good extension, smooth, less sparkle, but treble is clearly present

My preference: KC06A > Duoza > Yamaha EPH100 > Tenore

Soundstage/ way of presentation:
Tenore: Good, above average sound-stage,
Yamaha EPH 100: 3d sound-stage, great depth and width. Experience is similar as if you are in the middle of a medium-sized room.
KC06A: Upfront, in your face like presentation, very wide, but no depth. Music is coming like a wall from a big stage in front of you instead of surrounding
Duoza: These sound very airy(!). Leaving lots of space between you and the music. The most noticeable characteristic of these phones imo. Feels like a big hall compared to the room-like experience on the other phones. Can be valued as both good or bad by preference and music.

My preference: Yamaha EPH 100 ~ Duoza, depending on music and mood > KC06A > Tenore

Fit / Isolation / comfort / build quality
Tenore: Deep insertion, good isolation, good comfort, okay build quality, cable looks fragile, but my pair has no issues even after months of heavy use
Yamaha EPH 100: Deep insertion, great isolation, great comfort, Build quality looks fine.
KC06A: Shallow insertion, average isolation with good tip, excellent build quality(!), these are build like a tank
Duoza: Shallow insertion, good isolation, great comfort, build quality looks fine, same cable as on the Tenore, but better strain relief afaik.

Final ratings and comments:

Tenore: 8.2/10: smooth and solid pair of phones, lack of sparkle and treble extension making me switch to other phones.
Yamaha EPH100: 8.8/10: Best soundstage, lack of clarity with lower volumes, bass heavy.
KC06A: 8.8/10: most clear sounding, fun yet detailed sound, snappy decay. Treble extension is superb. Sound-stage is lacking depth, could be bothering depending on the music.
Duoza: 8.7/10: Airy sounding phones. Bass bloat could shy away people. Smooth and thick vocals with big bass and tame treble.

Ratings of my other phones in comparison:

Havi B3 p1: 7.7/10 - too thin, flat sounding for my taste, bass is rather weak too.
Sidy DGS 100: 7/10 - bass is bloated, recessed mids and highs
Sidy DM3: 5/10 - underwhelming

@encoreAC great work in comparing these phones, just curious what tips were you using?

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #28,747 of 100,978
  Thank you! I am using Sony MH1 tips on the Tenore, Stock tips on the Yamaha, Stock tips, medium bore without the filter on the KC06A and medium bore sturdy Sidy tips on the Duoza.

@encoreAC I put some Wide Bore silicone tips on my Duoza's and it tamed the bass and opened up the highs

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #28,748 of 100,978
  @encoreAC I put some Wide Bore silicone tips on my Duoza's and it tamed the bass and opened up the highs

I am gonna try this out when I get home, thanks for the advice!
beerchug.gif

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #28,749 of 100,978
I am gonna try this out when I get home, thanks for the advice!:beerchug:

Comply TX200's cleaned the bass up significantly plus, really extended and smoothed out the treble.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #28,751 of 100,978

Final ratings and comments:

Tenore: 8.2/10: smooth and solid pair of phones, lack of sparkle and treble extension making me switch to other phones.
KC06A: 8.8/10: most clear sounding, fun yet detailed sound, snappy decay. Treble extension is superb. Sound-stage is lacking depth, could be bothering depending on the music.

Great!

I only have the KC06A, Tenores and Pistons and i am hearing exactly what you have described,  IMO The KC06 sounds better than the Tenores,  BUT the Tenores are only $40 bucks so i give a lot of credit to ZA.  The bass on the Ostrys is fast,  its not overwhelming, its like almost the perfect quantity (for me),  Bass is present but it hits hard when its needed.  I love how trumpets and Sax's sound on the Ostrys. 

The Pistons dont compete with the Ostrys or Tenores in nothing,  waaayy V shaped and a lot od details and instruments are way to far back,  they are no way in the same category of the Tenores and Ostrys, they sound like a $20 iem to me, nothing special nor stellar.  I am not sure if i am using the right description, but the mids on the Pistons sound "hollow", like theres is a "hole" in those frecuencies and i describe it has "recesed"

IMO the SoundSoul S18 is much better than the Pistons.

I am not sure wich one i like more, the Tenores or the VS3D, so for now its a draw.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #28,752 of 100,978
I felt the top end was a little bright and hollow without the Complys, plus the bass improved dramatically. I preferred them to any of the stock tips or the Triple Flanges, my opinion only though.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #28,753 of 100,978
I felt the top end was a little bright and hollow without the Complys, plus the bass improved dramatically. I preferred them to any of the stock tips or the Triple Flanges, my opinion only though.

I also had this the first few hours with the stock tips. The Sidy tips are actually already giving me a big improvement in bass and treble over the stock tips. Fit and isolation are quite nice too.

I actually don't think that the Duoza have an excessively bloat, but the bloat is very noticeable when you compared it to my other phones especially the subbass.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #28,755 of 100,978
  The Ostrys are generally performing better in this regard. Do you maybe have an example?

Could you compare the Duozas and Ostrys with these video?  i am waiting for the Duozas and Titans,  your review has me a bit nervous after spending money on the Duozas.

Pianos, drums, bass, Sax, Pianos, guitars, percusions.    Starts a bit slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back