The discovery thread!
Apr 9, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #23,748 of 100,558
My first listen to my IM70's (travelling on bus) and I have to say, I really like these :smile:

I would describe it as very full sounding and smooth. A really powerful sound. It is on another level to my CKN70's which is what I was expecting. Build quality is better than what I was expecting, much better cable than the CKN70 which isn't hard lol. These are even easier to drive than the CKN70 which I was pleasantly surprised at.

I won't go into any more detail because other members have covered the bases. I'm using the stock tips as I tried the Sony Hybrids on them but couldn't get a good fit/seal. Isolation is good for me with the stock tips.

If anyone has any more questions, I'll try my best to answer.

Can you do an A/B with these and the CKN70s?

Apr 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #23,750 of 100,558
The Ostry is great, but I think it went through an unspoken revision as well.

I originally bought mine back in November (with the original Havi), and it had less bass than the RE-400. People who just bought it claim otherwise now. That would make it a killer IEM if that is true, and I might want to repurchase it.

The mids and highs actually are ultra clear on it. It just didn't do well with bass boosting.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #23,751 of 100,558

Got these in the mail during the day. Impressions to come later. Time to see if these live up to the hype.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #23,753 of 100,558
  Ohhhh nice. Version 1 or 2?

Make sure to amp them, and ditch the stock tips for sennheiser double flanges or something like it.

Version 1. I'll try try them in stock first to see how I like them, maybe the Senns and Sony Isolation tips later.

Apr 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #23,754 of 100,558
So I want to contribute with a new discovery. It impressed me so well, I can definitely say it sounds so much better than most high priced iems.

In the showcase: Philips SHE9710

This is the replacement to SHE9700 series. Comes in 4 different colors: Black, Blue, Red and White. I have tested tens of iems the same day, and out of all, price/performance these just rock. They cost about $20 in Japan, currently not available in the US. Multiple ATH, Sony, Denon, TDK, Philips headphones were tested at the same day. The track listened for all of them was Rush - The Wreckers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbE019cLNI

The reason for the track: It is a very complicated track, certain guitar tones, drums, synths are in depth and not easy to pick up. Base guitar is extremely prominent, along with the cymbals, which bring out whether the headphone can handle them with the exact tone. One of the parts I pay the most attention to in the song is at 1:00 minute mark (on actual recording, not sure of the youtube video), the guitar notes change for a split second, and that sound is very hard to produce. The Westone 3 does an amazing job in that respect, along with the Shure 1440 that I listen to most of the time. Philips SHE9710 comes very close to these headphones in that respect.

Vocals are literally in your face, amazing, I can feel as if Geddy is right in front of me, and talking with me. This for me is one of the most important aspects of headphones that produce the best sound for rock music. The instruments are a little bit on the back, as if you are listening to a concert of Rush. Vocals are so clear and well imaged that when Geddy shouts "Breakers roar" you can actually pick up the echo, truly amazing. The bass guitar is very prominent, it truly is wonderful, you can even hear the distortion on the strings, can not add more to this. Lead guitar as I mentioned before is wonderful as well. The drums kick with punch and brings the depth of the sound even further. 

Truly Philips made an amazing product. For the price this is literally unbeatable. As far as the bargain finds, this one beats the Sony MH1c by a couple of steps. They are very comfortable as well, go deep in the ear canal (about the same as Westone 3), and stays there. The issue with the cable would be that it is not a Y split, so you have to put it over back of the neck for the right ear. This would be the only downsides of the Philips SHE9710s. Cable seems to be of very high quality. The headphones comes with 3 eartips of S,M,L sizes, and a carrying case. 

More info at:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-In-Ear-Headphone-formula-SHE9710/dp/B00EVINCIE

Official page:
http://www.philips.com.au/c/wireless-headphones/in-ear-headphones-she9710_98/prd/

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #23,755 of 100,558
No problem. I was just checking in google if there's anything new of the TX2 and was surprised to see a link to innerfidelity's measurements at the top of the search list http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/PhilipsTX2.pdf Anyway, I was kinda worried if Philips will pull it off again but judging by Tyll's measurements they did and at more than 3 times lower than S1 and S2's MSRP, so it looks like these will be winners. Also Tyll has sent them to joker, so we should be getting his early impressions soon.

Read Tyll's remark some days ago.
I bought them today (mediamarkt the Netherlands) for 54 Euro. The seller had to look up the price and on the dutch philips site no information could be found, so I think they were b new in store.
When compared with the s2 they had an extended frequency range 6-25.000 Hz , impedance 32 vs 24 ohm and less max power input 30 vs 40 mW. I don't know the S2 so I can't tell you what that means.
First impression coming from fischer audio eterna was neutral clear sounding , were is my music? Standard tips which are normaly fine for me were a bit small and even the large
tips didn't close off my ears but sounded better.
Now listening with my Hifiman player I think more like "open , neutral , detailed . No bass monsters so far , and not as musical as the eterna's.
Reminded me of my experience with the Focal Classic which didn't impress me initially but has a neutral balanced quality I really like when listening to classical chamber music.
Early days yet. Interested what you think of them.

Apr 9, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #23,756 of 100,558

Read Tyll's remark some days ago.
I bought them today (mediamarkt the Netherlands) for 54 Euro. The seller had to look up the price and on the dutch philips site no information could be found, so I think they were b new in store.
When compared with the s2 they had an extended frequency range 6-25.000 Hz , impedance 32 vs 24 ohm and less max power input 30 vs 40 mW. I don't know the S2 so I can't tell you what that means.
First impression coming from fischer audio eterna was neutral clear sounding , were is my music? Standard tips which are normaly fine for me were a bit small and even the large
tips didn't close off my ears but sounded better.
Now listening with my Hifiman player I think more like "open , neutral , detailed . No bass monsters so far , and not as musical as the eterna's.
Reminded me of my experience with the Focal Classic which didn't impress me initially but has a neutral balanced quality I really like when listening to classical chamber music.

Early days yet. Interested what you think of them.

Well, my TX2 still haven't arrived but I was sorta expecting that. I saw them available at few places in EU but I'm not in a big rush, so I decided against buying them locally coz I hate overpaying for stuff and ~29 euro shipped from Hong Kong is definitely a better price than paying ~55 euro in EU. Anyway, as soon as they arrive I'll share my impressions here.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #23,757 of 100,558
  The Ostry is great, but I think it went through an unspoken revision as well.

I originally bought mine back in November (with the original Havi), and it had less bass than the RE-400. People who just bought it claim otherwise now. That would make it a killer IEM if that is true, and I might want to repurchase it.

The mids and highs actually are ultra clear on it. It just didn't do well with bass boosting.

maybe, who knows! and who cares!

actually it has perfect synergy with the hm700. more than Epic! 
eek.gif
 (unless your still looking for bassheads levels)

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #23,758 of 100,558
  maybe, who knows! and who cares!

actually it has perfect synergy with the hm700. more than Epic! 
eek.gif
 (unless your still looking for bassheads levels)

I care! lol

If it actually has more bass now then when I first purchased it, it solves the only problem I had with them. I would definitely repurchase them if that is the case.

Apr 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #23,759 of 100,558
  I care! lol

If it actually has more bass now then when I first purchased it, it solves the only problem I had with them. I would definitely repurchase them if that is the case.

i'd really suggest you to wait for the KC06A model then. they'd be adding the extra low-end for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back