The discovery thread!
Sep 7, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #13,891 of 106,564
Mikros 90, shoot, these things are gooooooooood.....

Very cool doc! Great prices happening for them now it seems. They sure are nice looking on-ears. As much as I think the M500's are beautiful, they are somewhat bold looking and I'm not sure that I am cool enough to wear them out and about lol. I wonder how the 90's sound compared to the M500's? That would be an interesting comparison. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #13,892 of 106,564
  I'm not really sure what i think about these onkyos yet, but one thing is for sure: they're seriously big IEMs. I mean, seriously big, especially with the cable connectors. It's almost like wearing two bluetooth headsets with wires tied to them.

Onkyo's and KEF's motto: go big or go home!

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #13,893 of 106,564
Very cool doc! Great prices happening for them now it seems. They sure are nice looking on-ears. As much as I think the M500's are beautiful, they are somewhat bold looking and I'm not sure that I am cool enough to wear them out and about lol. I wonder how the 90's sound compared to the M500's? That would be an interesting comparison. 

I wear them occasionally, they're actually pretty tame compared to something like the Diamond Tears or even JVC's Full-sized cans.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #13,894 of 106,564
  Funniest thing Ds,

I'm finding these IE-HF300s somewhat v-shaped out of the box; or rather that the mids are somewhat recessed.

These are definitely vented - they sound open backed almost like the grados i used to have.

I'm not really sure what i think about these onkyos yet, but one thing is for sure: they're seriously big IEMs. I mean, seriously big, especially with the cable connectors. It's almost like wearing two bluetooth headsets with wires tied to them.

You got the headphones or the earphones.? Wish they would call them something completely different.. The headphones have a much laid back sound vs the earphones but the earphones are definitely mid forward..Almost too much so on open listen. It was that way for me at least..I was getting shoutiness happening. Both need a good burn in. Don't know how long it takes for titanium drivers to burn in on the headphones the earphones should improve even over night. 

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #13,895 of 106,564
  Heads up to all Fiio X3 users. A new and improved firmware release. 1.31 http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/fiio-x3-thread-full-review-http-www-head-fi-org-t-663600-impression-fiio-x3-high-fi-low-price/4800#post_9778196  Our friend bowee shows us now to install firmware. Highly recommended to upgrade firmware. More bug fixes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyakrf9URcA&list=PLwVIrRPoDClqsbZWM7I6v4xq_Zt8sQkeX&index=1

Wait! Did I just read that they fixed the issue where if you had too many sub-folders that your music wouldn't show up? :O Because if they did, I definitely know what my next audio purchase will be.

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #13,896 of 106,564
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=34

Another cable for the X1! They even have a specific option for the X1 on their cable (I know it's just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable but it's still pretty cool)
Looks really high quality, might snap one up since the Zu is no longer available :\

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #13,899 of 106,564
Guys, I have an issue. My computer is on the floor to the right of my chair as I cannot fit it on top of the desk. My problem is the wire on any IEMs / headphone I use ends up getting caught underneath the right chair arm and there's been times when I've forgot and went to turn my chair left to get up to go to the toilet or whatever and the jack has either ripped out of the 3.5mm port on the front of my PC or the earbuds get ripped out of my ears.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #13,900 of 106,564

Love it :) 
Really chill and relaxed

ALSO: What's a good portable solution for driving the X1 out of my laptop? Looking for a good dac + amp that's relatively affordable...

You can check FiiO E07K or E17

Guys, I have an issue. My computer is on the floor to the right of my chair as I cannot fit it on top of the desk. My problem is the wire on any IEMs / headphone I use ends up getting caught underneath the right chair arm and there's been times when I've forgot and went to turn my chair left to get up to go to the toilet or whatever and the jack has either ripped out of the 3.5mm port on the front of my PC or the earbuds get ripped out of my ears.

Just get an extension cord like this - 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Plated-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Headphone-Earphones-Speakers-Extension-Cable-Cord-/161061976157?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item25800ab85d

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #13,903 of 106,564
  Thanks Jakkal
Is it even worth upgrading from my MBP 2011 output to E17? Any significant changes in SQ?

MBP? MacBook Pro? I'm not familiar with MBP integrated audio, but for sure E17 is better AMP and is portable so you can use it with your DAP as well.

Sep 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #13,904 of 106,564
Are the S2's worth it even just powering them by a smartphone?

Someone in the HTC One thread posted great synergy between S2 and the One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back