The discovery thread!
Aug 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #12,527 of 106,562
Aug 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #12,528 of 106,562
Quote:
It's discussed here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660309/to-those-who-want-to-get-an-affordable-es9018-dac-see-inside#post_9667896

At 303$ shipped, it's not so cheap anymore.
You are better off with Audio-GD NFB-11.32, which is an "end game" material for me as far as DACs and amplifiers are concerned.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread

No, it was a different one... Less than $200.....

Quote:
Right now I'm using a cheap Chinese ES9018 DAC, it's the best sounding one.  ES9018 is considered by many to be the best DAC chip on earth, and I didn't have to pay very much for this really well made DAC.  Of course I had to buy it from the Chinese internet not in English which isn't easy, but hey I'm listening to bliss and heaven. =)

Rather than confuse you with Chinese links, I'll try to write a solid review of it sometime soon.  It's truly end-game sound for less than $200.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #12,530 of 106,562
^ +1 please

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #12,531 of 106,562
Hey Exe
Noticed you had the Onkyo IEMs and the T Peos H200? :O
Any comparisons?

I'll try to give a brief comparison later on tonight when the H-200s are burned in. Right now the highs are still peaky.

What I can say is that although the H-200 has tight and responsive bass, the Onkyos extend better.

I have the Onkyos and the S2s in their cases beside my bed, and whenever I'm leaving the house. I find myself reaching for the Onkyo.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #12,532 of 106,562
Quote:
I'll try to give a brief comparison later on tonight when the H-200s are burned in. Right now the highs are still peaky.

What I can say is that although the H-200 has tight and responsive bass, the Onkyos extend better.

I have the Onkyos and the S2s in their cases beside my bed, and whenever I'm leaving the house. I find myself reaching for the Onkyo.

Which tips are you using on the H200's? The light grey ones seem to lend towards sibilance. Do you have the mh1c per chance? The large tips work very well for me with the H200's.

Aug 2, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #12,533 of 106,562
Here's a new discovery for the Basso:  played through a aq dragonfly with the usb power regulated by the new ifi usb power unit, the background noise is
completely gone and the Bassos sing like ive never heard them before.  the bass is completely coherent and impactful, the midrange attacks on synthesizers
and the treble sparkles.  audio breakthrough indeed!!!!!

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #12,534 of 106,562
Quote:
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=IE-HF300&class=Headphones&source=prodClass

I think that long stem would drive me nuts (it does on a pair of other iems that I have). I guess I'm just not a long stem kind of guy!

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #12,535 of 106,562
Which tips are you using on the H200's? The light grey ones seem to lend towards sibilance. Do you have the mh1c per chance? The large tips work very well for me with the H200's.

No MH1c tips unfortunately, shame. I really need to get myself a pair.

I know there is sibilance but H20 also said that it happens to many and would require about 10-20 hrs of burn to tame them. I currently have them running on treble heavy tracks at about 80% on my iPod, hopefully they will have toned down when I get to them tonight.

Aug 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #12,536 of 106,562
I think that long stem would drive me nuts (it does on a pair of other iems that I have). I guess I'm just not a long stem kind of guy!

Wayne, my man, the stem barely feels present when you put them on. If you can handle the H-200s bulky shape, these would be no problem.

You need to try them mang, the S2 are good, no doubt, but these do things just that little better. You like lush mids with plenty of energy in your vocal(especially female), do you not? :wink:

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #12,537 of 106,562
Quote:
A Declaration... X1s are officially insane.

I have been burning my pair in pretty much on and off since I got them. Guys that own these people are gonna think I am crazy but. Burn in for these phones you guys have no idea. The bass on my pair is off the chain nice the overall sound is so dynamic. I read through Tylls review of them but on my pair even the low hitting low los are defined tight textured to crazy levels with intoxicating rumble. All my other cans are crying foul right about now..

If you guys are looking for a sound signature you can latch onto use these as a goal. One of these days. You must hear the X1 fully burned in..I am finally getting to enjoy these things and I have to say I am just completely blown away by their absolutely wonderful sound. I know it is easy and natural to get used to a phone but I never really got used to their sound because school time. I would periodically listen in on them here and there but I don't recall these cans sounds this good from open box.  My S2 share similarities to the X1 but it is the X1 that has an added dimension. The scope of sound is grander on the X1 bass is fuller with more authority,  sound a touch sweeter with that nasty large sized stage of the cans. I have wider sounding cans the AD900X but the use of that stage is what is killer on the X1s .. I am imagining just how much one would have to spend to reproduce this sound with speakers..It is amazing to me that we can get this type of sound in a sub $300 headphone..

I will be in possession of my precious-ness tomorrow. I'm not stoked at all. I lie...

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #12,540 of 106,562
Lol! Yes, this is a dangerous place!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back