The discovery thread!
Jul 20, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #12,166 of 101,795
Quote:
Do you think that FX31 has better details and is more balanced? Also I can't stand sibilance that I've suffered with some of my past cheap IEMs.
I think I would like an FX40 without the problems, also I can't buy from amazon.com since I'm in the EU and the best price shipped for these is ~$45

I think this is worth a try... great deal for $25.
I'll be ordering one as soon as they release the custom cable for the H-200 so it'll be just in one shipment.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/t-peos-b-100

Quote:
Can't wait for my Onkyo IEMs to arrive. Postal service better not muck it up like with my last shipment.

I had my eye on those. I can't wait to hear your impressions.

+2 They really look interesting...

Jul 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #12,168 of 101,795
Astrotec is also an option I'm considering, especially when their single BA AM90 had pretty good reviews. Excalibur seems like a good iem as well, with good build quality.

heaven VI would be excellent, but tripling my budget is out of question :D besides, heaven IV should be pretty good for what they are.

I guess everything will be decided when the Zero Audio Doppios come out though...

I'm still kinda afraid that the sound signature of BA iems will be too different for me 
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #12,170 of 101,795
Quote:
And speaking about astrotec, they made the hybrid iem. here's the link:

http://bbs.dgtle.com/thread-139496-1-1.html

google translate kinda helps, but would be good if some Chinese speakers could give us a better translation :)

Read through some of it. 

First part is thanks to a guy and a audio company who supplied the IEMs for the review, along with comparisons to some of Astrotec's older offerings.

Followed by a brief guide to what BAs are and how they deliver "sound"

After the pics, he mentions that the phones are prototypes, thus, the overall presentation are somewhat lacking. Things to be improved upon: 1.Colors, 2. Cable build quality 3. Polished(?) overall shell, followed by a thorough critique on the phone's build itself, including the need for a mempry wire for over-ear wearing, improving the plugs, possibility of removable cables and using the same design as the B&W C5 making it seem bland.

Note: I'll try to keep the next part short since I'm not too savvy with audiophile terminology, so take everything you read next with a grain of salt.
SQ review:

Bass: Surprising. Large amounts of low bass, extending deep and packs a lot of punch. Gives a similar "feel" to the IE8 and PK1(what he refers to as God-tier IEMs) Mid-bass is fast and responsive. Overall, bass is "very" powerful, broad, with a solid baseline(?). Presentation is clear, with headroom and executed nicely

Highs: He compares them to the AM800's warmth, the X60 has better clarity and the harmonics work well together. Well controlled,  with moderately fast response on vocals, easy on the ear as there' less decay. Highs reveal a lot of minor details in songs, he was expecting a very cold presentation, but it was rather pleasing, working well with the bass. "Like watching a campfire fire in a cave" is how he puts it.

Mids: A whole paragraph about Astrotec's marketing scheme. I can't really get much from it, other than a very revealing mid, though slightly warm, using a lot of song as reference.

Soundstage: Moderate. A little lacking compared to the AM800.

Layering: Slightly forward, distance is slightly lacking. The AX60's warmth is what keeps the whole sound signature together. 

Conclusion: A well-worth offering from Astrotec, and it can be seen that it is focused on bass, delivering heavy, powerful but not overbearing bass due to a finely tuned Dynamic Driver. Mids and Highs delivered with similar precision, with BAs made to sound similar to Dynamics. (his words, not mine). Overall, very easy on the ears, and the sound grows on you as time passes.

Followed by a comparison to  the K3003, of which I immediately lost interest in.

Hope this helps! :)

Jul 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #12,172 of 101,795
Quote:
Look forward to your take on those Sennheiser PCX 95 Jant.

Got a little side tracked with a physical issue that forced me to send them back but Senn is taking good care of me. The PCX95 are a nice little phone so far in the time I had with them. Kinda get spoiled with the headband as they just nestle themselves in. Just a bit quicker and easier than putting in separate earphones. The nice cable and a great low profile beefy plug. They kinda soured the VSD1 for me. Just kinda blah afterwards esp. the mids/vocals. Need to get my new phones back burn in fully and then review them so it won't be a while.

Anyhow, since the VSD1 don't thrill me so much anymore I picked up the CLR100 again to compare the two. I like my CLR100 with the new UE clear tips. Best I heard from them but not as good as the Vsonic. I decided to remove the CLR100 screens and play around with them. Quite a thick woven mesh that is far from acoustically transparent :) which is why the two holes they put in work.

Taking the screens off lets loose a bunch of brightness and clarity. Too much and at the expense of subduing the bass. But I had a foam from a DUNU Trident nozzle. I used to sell DUNU and I got a return where one side was lower than the other cause, it turns out, the foam was installed sideways and compressed. So, I fixed that pair and sold them as used and had one foam left over. I cut that in half and installed them in the nozzles of the CLR100. Better but not quite there. Sounded good on my Sony with one notch of Clearbass.

I had a pair of adhesive backed mesh fabric screens from a prototype armature phone/ I took those off a while back to install foams and get more bass out of that earphone. I then stuck those on top of the foam and they stuck onto the little lip the original screens were glued to.

I went with the large stock tips and no EQ on my Sony and compared against the VSD1. The now more forward mids of the CLR are more forward and cleaner than the VSD1. The stage is bigger now top to bottom and bigger than the VSD1. The treble is also brighter and cleaner. Detail is about the same. VSD1 can still reach lower on bass extension but that is the only thing I think is better. The modded AT is more forward and cleaner and a bit taller. Just like you stepped closer to a slightly dirty window and cleaned. Clearer now that it is cleaned and when you step closer and look out your view of high and low is greater.

Certainly worth playing around with the CLR100 since they are cheap if your are inclined to modding. There is potential there. If it sound like the CKN70 a bit it does but doesn't. I had the CKN70 and this is still closer or more forward, the treble is bright but more even/not as peaky, and the bass is not as punchy as I have it tweaked. Still images differently being the 8.5mm driver. Definitely a mixture of both as if some sort of CKN70/CLR100 hybrid.

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #12,177 of 101,795
I liled all the cks iems, but the cord was "catchy" and kept pulling on ears, so didnt work for gym. Gonna go with the sony, im more sub bass than midbass, loved the eph100 for this reaso.. Anyone compared the eph
100 to the xb90ex

Jul 21, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #12,178 of 101,795
Have been using the xb90ex for a couple days now and i have to say, these things have sub bass which are unheard of in an iem. Very rumbly but controlled sub bass with a light touch of mid bass. I do wish it had more mid bass though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back