The discovery thread!
May 20, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #102,316 of 104,192
Yes, the XBA-Z5 didn’t rub everyone the same way. I mean really the form factor is silly, having that driver angled like that. Then also it was a bass heavy IEM that resisted trying the add pace with wide-bore ear-tips. Where the narrow-bore Sony tips are in place for a reason. At the time of release Sony thought the bass heavy Z7 was also the street to drive down. Since then Sony has been driving towards a more balanced side of town. :)
100%. I made my purchase based off the what was hyped reviews from our fellow Discovery thread head-fiers, and so, being a Sony nut, I jumped at the chance, and yeah, TOO MUCH BASS. The amount of bass was definitely downplayed by reviews, and it turned out to be bass presented like the JVC woodies. I'm not a basshead. I don't listen regularly to music that requires big visceral bass, nor do I enjoy the bass intruding even when it's not bass heavy just to get that reaction, so yeah, you described it very well, my friend. Sadly, the treble is very well controlled and tuned, but not enough to overcome the bass deficit and the recessed mids, so I unloaded them pretty quickly, as I did the JVC woodies. It's a similar deal with my Fearless Shangri-la's. I'm currently listening to them, and if not for the intrusive bass, they'd probably rank much higher in my hierarchy, but alas, they are a fun listen, but specialized listen.

May 20, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #102,317 of 104,192
If you guys had to make a blind urgent purchase and get either DaVinci or Pilgrim:NOIR, which one would it be?

May 20, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #102,319 of 104,192
If you guys had to make a blind urgent purchase and get either DaVinci or Pilgrim:NOIR, which one would it be?
Probably the DaVinci just bc of price.

May 20, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #102,320 of 104,192
For those of you with multiple DAPS/players, where do you rank your gear? Here's mine, and I'm going for sheer enjoyment (sans any amp, as I think amps/dacs can sway rank and performance), and not necessarily in order of technical performance or overall audio quality, though that does factor in it.

1. Sony NW-WM1A (modded)
2. Sony A17
3. Sony A45 (modded)
4. iBasso DX170
5. Sony A306 (I really don't like the OS/interface, though the sound is top 2)
6. Sony A55 (modded)
7. Sansa Fuze (Rockbox'd)
8. Cowon Plenue J
9. Fiio XIII - 3
10. iPod Touch 7th Gen
11. iPod Classic
12. My personal iphone (12Pro)

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #102,321 of 104,192
Yeah, almost nobody has both. BUT... I do have both coming in for review.

May 20, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #102,322 of 104,192
I was going to agree with you, and say thanks for the explanation, until you hung that ludicrous and fascist comment at the end there. Questioning the health effects of electronics is scaremongering and irresponsible? LOL Seriously? So you make a statement above as definitive, and then make a comment that questioning that statement is in fact irresponsible. Fascist attitude, and you are blocked. This conversation is OVER. You bet.
Absolutely correct...there are no absolutes regarding the aforementioned health benefits, the remit of tech companies is obvs just to shill & sell as many units as possible. Will the same companies (and the industry in general) ever invest in research that jeopardises markets ?? - methinks not. This combination of being surrounded by Wi-Fi, BT & numerous gadgets pumping out high levels of electromagnetic waves, must have some detrimental effect on our own bodily toroidal system(s)?...to think otherwise is naive at best.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #102,323 of 104,192
Well, one seems to have that special sauce Elysian treble, and the other one seems to have tamer more rolled off treble according to the graphs and comments, so I'd say if you love your treble, the Noir might be your pick, and if you're someone that like more bass with less emphasis on the top end, the Davinci might be your pick, but so far I've seen, both would be pretty good picks if you're someone who likes bass?

May 20, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #102,324 of 104,192
100%. I made my purchase based off the what was hyped reviews from our fellow Discovery thread head-fiers, and so, being a Sony nut, I jumped at the chance, and yeah, TOO MUCH BASS. The amount of bass was definitely downplayed by reviews, and it turned out to be bass presented like the JVC woodies. I'm not a basshead. I don't listen regularly to music that requires big visceral bass, nor do I enjoy the bass intruding even when it's not bass heavy just to get that reaction, so yeah, you described it very well, my friend. Sadly, the treble is very well controlled and tuned, but not enough to overcome the bass deficit and the recessed mids, so I unloaded them pretty quickly, as I did the JVC woodies. It's a similar deal with my Fearless Shangri-la's. I'm currently listening to them, and if not for the intrusive bass, they'd probably rank much higher in my hierarchy, but alas, they are a fun listen, but specialized listen.
Same happened to me and my Scarlet Mini.... It was a well designed and engineered IEM with obviously lots of astounding bass, mid bass, and sub bass... but it was not like a delicious, succulent home made double cheeseburger, it was like one of these "heart attack burgers" with 12 meat patties and a kilo of cheese in between.
For hardcore bass heads a must, but really only for them IMHO.

May 20, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #102,325 of 104,192
Yeah, almost nobody has both. BUT... I do have both coming in for review.
You're my go-to guy recently, so I'll be waiting for your review. Cheers!

May 20, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #102,326 of 104,192
Do we know the price range? Looking at this and the Dita Project among others.
It's available for pre-order now for $299.

May 20, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #102,327 of 104,192
Simgot EM6L, Tangzu FUDU, or Kefine Delci? for a more pleasant, musical, that does not have sibilance in any song or genre

I have not heard the EM6L but I have listened to the Fudu in the past.

Definitively, I can say that the Kefine Delci is better than the Fudu in bass quantity and less thin mids/vocals that the Fudu has. Fudu has very pleasing bass but doesn't have quite the slam that the Delci brings.

I've been listening a lot to the Delci and I think I'll probably post a write up of them tomorrow but, I haven't felt any sibilance at all (I think the treble isn't as crispy as others have pointed out but YMMV since my ears are different).

May 20, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #102,328 of 104,192
Same happened to me and my Scarlet Mini.... It was a well designed and engineered IEM with obviously lots of astounding bass, mid bass, and sub bass... but it was not like a delicious, succulent home made double cheeseburger, it was like one of these "heart attack burgers" with 12 meat patties and a kilo of cheese in between.
Quality of the bass matters, huge punch w\o texture and speed is useless imo

May 20, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #102,329 of 104,192
LOL Love that description! The difference between a Red Robin Burger and Wendy's (though tbh, I love both for what they are lol)

May 20, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #102,330 of 104,192
I've been listening a lot to the Delci and I think I'll probably post a write up of them tomorrow but, I haven't felt any sibilance at all (I think the treble isn't as crispy as others have pointed out but YMMV since my ears are different).
It's pretty impressive how terrific the treble details are on the Delci but it never feels overdone or harsh in basically any genre I've thrown at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back