The discovery thread!
May 17, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #101,911 of 104,029
These Penon Voltage are the bees knees!!! They sound a lot more than they cost!
1000027231.jpg
So they sound like a down payment on a 2024 BMW XM instead of a 2024 Ford Mustang GT? FANTASTIC! Like an angel choir in your ears!

May 17, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #101,912 of 104,029
Me:
“Somehow these IEMs don’t sound as good as I thought?”

Wife:
“Maybe they need more burn-in?”

I knew right then I married the right woman!
My wife knows about burn in from me mentioning it enough, and her going into the closet, where I set up my makeshift burn in station, and she can hear the tinny sounds of music and sweeps when I got something burning in and she'll mention "so you're burning in something new? When did you buy this one? Do you really need another one?"

May 17, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #101,913 of 104,029
Here is my review of Letshuoer LR Nebula Cable.

https://headfonics.com/letshuoer-lr-nebula-review/

The LETSHUOER LR-Nebula stands out as a decent copper cable tailored to enrich the bass and mid-range frequencies. With some IEMs that I paired the cable with, I found the synergy to be quite good, showing the potential performance when upgrading from a stock cable.

PROS
* Decent bass and mid-range coloration
* Lightweight and simplistic design
* Nice packaging and inclusion of case

CONS
- Stiff ear hook
- Does not have modular jack option

IMG_9919.jpeg

IMG_9914.jpeg

May 17, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #101,914 of 104,029
My wife knows about burn in from me mentioning it enough, and her going into the closet, where I set up my makeshift burn in station, and she can hear the tinny sounds of music and sweeps when I got something burning in and she'll mention "so you're burning in something new? When did you buy this one? Do you really need another one?"
My wife was like... Man, how many of them do you have?
Me: guess 6 or 7 only, sold some others
She: gosh, you have two ears, where do you stick all the others?
Me:

dd0.jpg

May 17, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #101,916 of 104,029

My wife was like... Man, how many of them do you have?
Me: guess 6 or 7 only, sold some others
She: gosh, you have two ears, where do you stick all the others?
Me:

dd0.jpg
4253AB27-3381-48A6-9DAE-0290C27B6FF2.jpeg

May 17, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #101,917 of 104,029
Wow..that's not exciting. Can you connect xDuoo to the external battery?
At least you can treat yourself to a nice cold beer; that's not bad, either! :)

Cheers!
It can work on external power, so that's a plus haha

May 17, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #101,918 of 104,029
Impulse ordered a bunch of stuff the last 2 days. I come and go from the hobby so it's time for my yearly update lol. Just excited to see how KZ has improved, seems they're becoming a really respectable IEM maker. Also heard good things about the D41 so looking forward to that.

Anyway, the list of stuff on the way:

- KZ EDX Pro X (That kind of tuning for that price? Had to try it)

- CCA Hydro (Looks promising, getting good reviews here so far)

- CKLVX D41 (Heard good things, super excited about this one)

- TRN ST7 (Haven't had a TRN IEM in years, thought I'd check in on them as well)

- CCA Trio (People seem to love it, thought I'd give it a try as well)
What a nice buffet of iems! 👍

May 17, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #101,919 of 104,029
Hello all, this weekend I will be finishing my review of the lovely Rose Technics QT-X, a lovely 1DD x 6BA hybrid ($339)
IMG_7744.jpeg

A slightly bright leaning tonality, deep sub bass, lots of treble extension, an included dongle (not the DC-Elite heheh), this small set packs a lot of punch for the value. It’s been my every day carry since I got it in, needless to say this one will be getting some praise. Watch for the review Monday!

What are we listening to as we roll into the weekend? I’m loving the new Beth Gibbons album. She is the singer of Portishead, lovely start to my morning with this record.

Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown
IMG_0453.jpeg

May 17, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #101,920 of 104,029
E385472A-627A-4198-A854-DCFAF21E4A97.jpeg

May 17, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #101,921 of 104,029
IMG_9205.jpeg

IBASSO DC-ELITE

😱😱😱😱😱
It's not my favorite sound signature, but I've never heard anything that sounds more detailed.

It even seems more detailed than the XD05 with the same DAC inside.

You need to have an audio processor instead of a brain to be able to process everything that this thing throws out.
Now I understand why it costs so much.

For the moment I'm testing it with detailed and bright IEMs with the specific purpose of hurting myself 😂,
later I'll try it with something warmer and darker,
and I think I'll be satisfied.

The volume adjustment is 'jerky' like on the RU6 and RU7.
(and the similarities end here 😂).

May 17, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #101,922 of 104,029
So they sound like a down payment on a 2024 BMW XM instead of a 2024 Ford Mustang GT? FANTASTIC! Like an angel choir in your ears!
My man, I appreciate your contributions and posts on the thread but you have to chill with your statements. He bought them with his hard earned cash and loves them. Remember this is the discovery thread. Everyone's take is welcomed. No one is forcing what he likes upon another person, its how he hears them. I appreciate everyone's take on what they are into on this thread and that is the way it should be. It should be based on YOUR discovery.

Truth is everyone is in the hobby is here for the same reasons, at what level you enjoy that hobby is what level you enjoy this hobby. No one can say you shouldn't drive a BMW cus a Honda will be the same. Like wise I want to ask you publicly not to judge folks on their posts and post comments like that just because you don't see the value in a $1200 IEM. That is you. Not so much the guy that bought the $1200 IEM and not the $2400 IEM. This being said. I value what @emdeevee is saying about the Voltage cus if you guys know him on the Watercooler thread. Guy so happens to own and has heard a lot of higher end stuff most of you guys have no idea about. For him to come out and say publicly what he hears from the $1200 Penon Voltage. Means he values them for their performance especially probably compared to higher end stuff he has heard.

In any case. Here we have 3 different IEMs with what seems to be very similar configurations but with 3 different prices.
1715968001356.png

RP of $599

1715968090843.png
Voltage @ $1200
PENON VOLTAGE Flagship Audiophile In-ear Monitor
4 Sonion Electrostatic+4 Sonion Balanced Armature+2DD hybrid with 2 Tuning Switches
4 x Sonion Electrostatic for ultra- high frequency
2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for high frequency
2 x Sonion Balanced Armature for middle frequency
2 x 8mm dynamic driver for low frequency
4-way crossover,4 tubes

and then this thing.
1715968149771.png
Specifications RP= $2400

Shell Material: TC4 TITANIUM, Semi-Open Design

Frequency Range:5hz~40khz
Impedance:25Ω1khz
Sensitivity:1khz104db
Stock Eartips: Final Type E
Driver Configuration: 1DD+4BA+4EST

Just because these 3 IEMs have similar configurations does that automatically bring the Volare to the level of the Voltage or the Alter Ego? If this was true than I mean why even pay $599 for the Volare. Might as well go with The NiceHCK NX7 MK4 with 7 drivers. 10mm beryllium plated dynamic, 4BAs + 7layer PZT driver. Cus it will sound at a similar level as the Voltage with an outstanding value right? so might as well save $1100.

Truth is the NX7 MK4 don't come anywhere near the refinement of the Voltage. And another thing worth pointing out, is that it is Penon that is being transparent about what drivers they are using. Not so much the other two. I suppose manufacturers don't have to say what drivers they are using but I question if the volare is using premium Sonion or Knowles BAs. Cus if they did they would proudly display it, is my thought. It would actually make sense that they are using cheaper Bellsing BAs.( Same type of BAs used on your garden variety KZ and CCA IEMs) perhaps a bit upgraded Bellsings, dont know. They have to make some type of money. Folks don't make these things to break even or loose money that's for certain.

You don't have to agree to like every post about a higher end IEM, its all relative is my point. Value is in the eye of the beholder as they say. You guys that have been following this thread. This thread was based on the idea of value for an IEM but at the same time. These higher end IEMs are higher end and cost like they do for a reason and just because it is sold at $1200 does not mean they don't have any real value at that price. To me the Voltage is a substantial release by Penon and they are not strangers to making higher end IEMS. They aren't out to get you or anyone else with a raw deal and if you haven't heard what these are about, than I just hope for some open mindedness that's all. In any case keep on keeping on my friend. This thread fire right now.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #101,923 of 104,029
After my Aure vs ST7 challenge, which turned out to be not much of a challenge, I decided to break out my CCA Trio, which I've admittedly neglected since I received my ST7, and they are still boss for hard rock, which is the genre playlist folder I was in last night. They are so great for music with an edge and complex passages. I love them.

May 17, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #101,924 of 104,029
Word of caution, the Moondrop Variations has questionable QC, quite a few cases of the faceplate dropping out from forum members. Including myself:

435778648_810305527651562_2032904757645179918_n.jpg

It sounds good though, for a MidFI hybrid. Harmanish tuned, which will make any measurebator worth their salt weak in the knees. Big sub-bass, upper mids may be a tinge shouty however. Good technicalities. Considering it came out quite a few years back, the Variations is still one of the midFI benchmarks as of 2024, which is more than decent, considering CHIFI gear are coming out of the woodwork every week.
Glue is cheap?

May 17, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #101,925 of 104,029
I have not seen any real benefits with IEMs that cost more than $200 so far. The most expensive one I have is $700. It is gorgeous but it doesn't fit my ears, has too sharp treble and didn't come with much of a 'package'. The second most expensive IEM I have cost me $500 at launch with a discount. They fit me pretty well, but very deep, and look great. The tuning isn't as advertised, though. My set is skewed too dark. + 3 dB at low frequencies and - 3 dB or more at mid and high frequencies. It's got too much bass which muffles everything. Are the drivers expensive and better than those in my cheaper IEMs? I suppose.
I have yet to come across an article describing what a better quality driver actually means. Using obscure metals or materials doesn't make a driver better. Only more expensive.
HBB just released a video about an IEM that has had lots of favourable reviews, saying that its internals equal those of a regular KZ IEM. There's no proof in the video, but such comments makes one wonder about the price setting practices in this hobby.

My current favourite among my IEMs is a hybrid, 1 DD and 1 BA, the Tiandirenhe MJ Signature. It cost me $140 (regular marked down price is $160 but the quoted full price is $228.58). It looks beautiful (it has a wood shell), fits me perfectly (doesn't dig into my ear canals), has a balanced tonality with a slight emphasis towards dark. Bass peaks at 40 Hz with roughly 12 dB above the lowest mid point (at 800 Hz). It has a mild pinna gain, with a first peak at 2K (+8 dB) and a second peak at 4K (+11 dB). From there it has a slope of -12 dB to 10K . It doesn't lack details in the treble region up to 10K but I have no idea about higher frequencies. I don't know what to listen for in those areas. It has no peaks after that. I took a chance when I bought it because it had been more 'expensive' before and I was unsure about that tuning. To me, this is more enjoyable than the Kiwiears Quintet, but that IEM has a more balanced sound. This is simply for enjoying music in long listening sessions.
Including an extrapolated graph for reference. The image of the graph on the webpage is skewed but readable.

Attachments

• Tiandirenhe-Mj-Signature-DIY-Hi-Fi-mmcx-earphoneX.jpg
    Tiandirenhe-Mj-Signature-DIY-Hi-Fi-mmcx-earphoneX.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Tiandirenhe Mj Signature Graph Estimate.jpg
    Tiandirenhe Mj Signature Graph Estimate.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back