The discovery thread!
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #99,571 of 100,463
That's all I listen too no streaming when testing
I must have missed you mentioning it as that makes all the difference. I believe Hiby wanted to implement 2 sound profiles and perhaps may do so in the future on the R4

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #99,573 of 100,463
Shanling M5 Ultra and ME600 came in today and 2 hits 👌
I must have missed you mentioning it as that makes all the difference. I believe Hiby wanted to implement 2 sound profiles and perhaps may do so in the future in the R4
Interesting I will try it with Spotify and Tital thanks!

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #99,574 of 100,463
Shanling M5 Ultra and ME600 came in today and 2 hits 👌

Interesting I will try it with Spotify and Tital thanks!
Just loaded my DSD files on R4. I think it is indeed analogue and easier on the ears. Stage is very good.

Kinda funny to see the sampling rate goes all the way to megahertz 😂

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #99,575 of 100,463
Just loaded my DSD files on R4. I think it is indeed analogue and easier on the ears. Stage is very good.

Wait battery life 4 hours? :)

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #99,576 of 100,463
Wait battery life 4 hours? :)
Not that bad 😂 turning on the DSP seems to stress the system more than DSD.

72BED4C5-FFFC-4864-BBB5-C3F1982D271F.jpeg

Listening to this combo today. I’m surprised how much this IEM is hated. Any positive review on linsoul website is downvoted to hell. The collab train is running to the ground?

Me? I think this is quite good sonic wise, and impressive from the tuning expertise perspective. I mean KiwiEars managed to force a single DD to hit the same FR curve as Monarch II up to around 6-8kHz, without any electronic crossover or nylon filter. That’s seriously impressive because usually DD does not sound like that.

Whoever designed the shells should be reprimanded though. I’m convinced that a greater portion of listeners have not been able to fit these properly. If you hear this IEM to be hollow in the lower mid and weirdly “stretched out” beyond how the Monarch II midrange sounds, it’s likely you have a shallow and leaky fit, even if it feels that the ear tips grip your ear canals.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #99,577 of 100,463

I've been diggin' the DSD from the DX170. My biggest take away is the stage is wider and deeper and the bass tends to be tighter.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #99,578 of 100,463
Alas imho, it needs reiterating that not offering the option to switch Class A off > AB (like the HiBy R5 II) is a missed opportunity to add 35 hour battery life.
I guess this is where a compromise had to be made to save on cost. The R5 II was a $450 DAP when it was released so there is a $200 difference. I originally thought that the R4 would be a replacement for the R5 II. But looking at the price difference between the R4 at $249 and the R6 III at $499 there is room for another DAP between them. So maybe at some point there will be an R5 III and one of the features will be the economy mode carried over from the R5 II along with a current android version and some other hardware upgrades.

Apr 23, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #99,579 of 100,463
M

My experience of Class A mode from Hiby R5II is the sound become much warmer, a bit "raw" with tiny bit of background noises. Which makes it sounds like analogue. I just wonder whether R4 implementing the same class A solution as the R5II?

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #99,580 of 100,463
DSC_0078.jpegtwo.jpeg

While many have already taken the chance on a T-OCC purchase, I can tell you (those who are skeptical) the sonic effects are real and valuable.........

TINHIFI T5S
Kiwi ears Singolo
7Hz Sonus
TSMR FEAT
NiceHCK DB2

The ISN T-OCC which is a kind of three copper alloy blend along with a specific build configuration. At a retail of $119.00 the T-OCC finds itself holding much of the imaging and stage/density results from the Renata, and in many ways a continuation of the ISN CS02 cable. Where I’m going to included the ISN Neo 5 with the T-OCC in my review……….but also I was curious about other brand IEM examples of the T-OCC results. Right now I can say the Singolo has the benefits of the T-OCC in spades. That single Kiwi ears IEM seems to open-up and get the desired stage size, that and noted image density for miles? Another fun one was the TINHIFI T5S……..this IEM is my love affair in what TIN has progressed to over the years………and sure enough the T-OCC has the T5S in its sights to alter and improve playback. This will all be in the review, but just let me say the T-OCC opened the midrange and vocals, plus gave that slight detail to the treble that was always lacking. The T5S has the best bass of any TINHIFI I have tried and the T-OCC seemed to leave that untouched, yet I was mostly concentrating on the midrange and treble.

Why results:

3 kinds of copper combination, 3 kinds of diameters
2 shares, 181 cores per share
Outer diameter is 2.5mm, 18AWG wire
98 cores 0.08 frozen single crystal copper
48 cores 0.06 Quenched single crystal copper
35 cores 0.05 Copper-silver alloy

Plus the T-OCC shows use of the solid oxygen free copper 4.4mm or 3.5mm plug, and solid oxygen free copper 2Pins. Just the Japanese Brand Pentaconn OFC Plug is US$60.00-$80.00 by itself.

DSC_0069.jpegqd.jpeg
DSC_0068.jpege.jpeg
DSC_0066.jpegwd.jpeg
DSC_0065.jpegx.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #99,581 of 100,463
First impressions TSMR FEAT HYBRID 2DDX 2BA
TSMR have really laid a number on us, especially if this is the style of town you want to visit. You may be wondering why no switch changing tool is provided with the extras? That is because this is the very first TSMR with no switches, the FEAT is also a bold departure into a new territory for TSMR. Gone are those bright treble lights a glowing with products like the Land or Sands................here we are visiting a lusher and slightly more sleepy toned-down after dark sound. Yet this is a Hybrid, so it still offers a big contrasty tone in response to the 2DD used for bass and the 2BAs used for midrange and treble. Let me just say, that even with the tonal contrast distance between trebles and bass providers.........................this is still a very laid back and easy listen..............for me anyway. Providing more musicality than technicality, the FEAT is fun and smooth. A small form-factor shows TSMR is working on a separate tune, one that is made for a younger and more bass needy crowd. Now the burn-in starts...........for 7 days straight.
DSC_0013.jpeg2dqd2.jpeg

DSC_0002.jpegd.jpeg
one.jpeg
DSC_0031.jpegwx.jpeg
DSC_0047.jpegwc.jpeg
DSC_0063.jpege.jpeg
DSC_0057.jpegd.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #99,582 of 100,463
Not that bad 😂 turning on the DSP seems to stress the system more than DSD.

Listening to this combo today. I’m surprised how much this IEM is hated. Any positive review on linsoul website is downvoted to hell. The collab train is running to the ground?

Me? I think this is quite good sonic wise, and impressive from the tuning expertise perspective. I mean KiwiEars managed to force a single DD to hit the same FR curve as Monarch II up to around 6-8kHz, without any electronic crossover or nylon filter. That’s seriously impressive because usually DD does not sound like that.

Whoever designed the shells should be reprimanded though. I’m convinced that a greater portion of listeners have not been able to fit these properly. If you hear this IEM to be hollow in the lower mid and weirdly “stretched out” beyond how the Monarch II midrange sounds, it’s likely you have a shallow and leaky fit, even if it feels that the ear tips grip your ear canals.
Honestly if the shell shape/nozzle length were more in line with crins other collabs, the Singolo would probably be my favorite set under $100 and I'd recommend them fiercely. I think Kiwi Ears was scared by all the talk of the B2D and Zero models that have the opposite fit issues and over corrected.

Apr 23, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #99,583 of 100,463
First impressions TSMR FEAT HYBRID 2DDX 2BA
TSMR have really laid a number on us, especially if this is the style of town you want to visit. You may be wondering why no switch changing tool is provided with the extras? That is because this is the very first TSMR with no switches, the FEAT is also a bold departure into a new territory for TSMR. Gone are those bright treble lights a glowing with products like the Land or Sands................here we are visiting a lusher and slightly more sleepy down after dark. Yet this is a Hybrid, so it still offers a big contrasty tone in response to the 2DD used for bass and the 2BAs used for midrange and treble. Let me just say, that even with the tonal contrast distance between trebles and bass providers.........................this is still a very laid back and easy listen..............for me anyway. Providing more musicality than technicality, the FEAT is a fun and smooth. A small form-factor shows TSMR is working on a separate tune one that is made for a younger and more bass needy crowd. Now the burn-in starts...........for 7 days straight.
DSC_0013.jpeg2dqd2.jpeg
[
Is this the stock cable? If yes…nice.

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #99,584 of 100,463
I’m starting the official review cycle of the R4. Ask me anything so that I might include it in the review.
Is it known how much output impedance it has?
Even if I already have a Shanling m3 Ultra somehow I really want to try this thing. I see even the pre-orders have sold out for now tho so maybe that is a good thing for my wallet...

Apr 23, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #99,585 of 100,463
Ok. CCA Hydro team unite? Time to hop on this bandwagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back