The discovery thread!
Dec 30, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #92,026 of 106,710
I might use that on you. I already wrote you are going to ruin me.
The New Year hasn't even started, and I already ordered one, two...waiting for the third (VULKAN) to return to stock...
with SG-01 DAWN fourth - are they noticeably different than PULA pA01, (just bought them yesterday)?

I think folks are just a bit jealous of you (your multiple talents). I don't see you are adding anything more than others.
Probably just different, but that's good, isn't it?
Otherwise, we would all be the same...and that's borrrrrring!
I am new to the thread, and I can say that unbiasedly.
After all...you are Salvador Dali, aren't you? :wink:

Cheers!
And there is always one who laughs (at least) like you...thank you for letting me know who Salvador Dali is...
I really thought it was one from "Figueres"...hm I might even think of starting a career as an artist; Dali was an artist, wasn't he? :wink:

I love it when I make people laugh, and if you are speaking the truth and nothing but the truth,
I will consider buying every PENON (perhaps Dali will benefit from it too, and I like helping) they have.
Oh, and not to forget, I particularly love their LOGO; it's so cheerful and optimistic, unlike those hard, dark, pretentious and too serious,
like it's a matter of life and death :wink:, but what do I know...

Cheers! :)
P.S. I've just ordered SG-01 DAWN (red). :beerchug:
Since your comment made me buy them instantly, I would think that you work for Penon; you're good at it.
I can throughly promise you will love the DAWN, as in contains both balance and a surprisingly new and fresh tone, one that I have never heard, even new and different than all my other IEMs. But it is this effortless/fast transient response that is a thrill! Holding details way above it’s price point. The stage is enormous being thick front to back, wide side to side and low and tall too.....just giant all over. You will see! Also as more will get the DAWN in their ears.........I will not sound like this single mad man that I presently sound like. :)

Dec 30, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #92,027 of 106,710
Great work, mate! Somehow I didn’t see this. Surprised to find the AmericanSpirit’s IEM at such low level across the board in your tests.

To me, I prefer multi-driver, multi-driver-type configurations for a few reasons. First one is the “technical performance”, particularly separation and imaging. Even some of the best single DD IEM like IE900 does not match the level of their hybrid / tribrid competitors at the same level (it means I’m comparing IE900 with something like MEST III, not with something like SA6II, because IE900 has no problem matching or out resolving something like the SA6II).

Second, if I were to pay a lot, I prefer to see manufacturers facing and surpassing some difficulties. Now, I’m not saying it’s easy to tune a single DD. If you have done DIY, you would find that DD has a mind of their own, and given a DD and a chosen shell structure, there is not much you can do. If you dampen the drivers too much to reach a target, dynamic and resolution would suffer. So, tuning a single DD like Sennheiser is darn hard. But I’m bias towards multi drivers with complex multi-way crossover.

Third, multi-driver IEMs are cool as heck :dt880smile: The first time I bought the Blessing 2, I spent hours just looking at the drivers and the tubes.
Same here, I prefer hybrid driver configuration. I want more technical set as I enjoy intricacies in a perceived soundscape.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #92,028 of 106,710
Hard to imagine better bass quality (for me wasn’t there on Quattro or Okavango)
Not even the 4 DD Quattro has enough bass? Looks like you are looking for an upgrade to the Aur Ascension.

Dec 30, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #92,029 of 106,710
Not even the 4 DD Quattro has enough bass? Looks like you are looking for an upgrade to the Aur Ascension.
No no I’m talking quality. Now I only burnt Quattro for 40 hours but when I went back to SR5 I wasn’t missing much if any. I did love the Quattro bass but don’t miss it with SR5. I find the sr5 bass spectacular

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #92,030 of 106,710
No no I’m talking quality. Now I only burnt Quattro for 40 hours but when I went back to SR5 I wasn’t missing much if any. I did love the Quattro bass but don’t miss it with SR5. I find the sr5 bass spectacular
The bass on the SR5 was superb. If only it had a little more sparkle on the top end, and fit me better, I'd still have it and you wouldn't, but I'm ecstatic that you love it and that means I sold it to the right person.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #92,031 of 106,710
The bass on the SR5 was superb. If only it had a little more sparkle on the top end, and fit me better, I'd still have it and you wouldn't, but I'm ecstatic that you love it and that means I sold it to the right person.
I agree with your assessment of the SR5. I feel like it just needed more air and extension up top to really put it over the edge for me.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #92,032 of 106,710
Pentaconn Coreir brass tips are for the Simgots. I have three pair, and they are on my EW200 and the Wu Zetian currently, with a pair waiting for the EA1000, which arrives tomorrow afternoon. As soon as my IE600 come back from Sennheiser, then the Wu Zetian will lose theirs and they'll go on the IE600.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #92,033 of 106,710
I had the OG Tea and found them to sound a bit metallic. Haven't tried the Top but always wanted to. I'd love to get the 41t since it has good reviews and seems like something I'd like. Hopefully I can sell some things to get the funds lol.
I've never understood the popularity of the OG Tea (never heard the revised) - it was borderline painful to me, shouty and piercing in the upper mids, metallic and unpleasant with many tracks. Even the Moondrop Starfield, which I'd consider a mediocre at best option, does basically everything better for half the price.

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #92,035 of 106,710
A one BA, two DD Hybrid........for $59.00.

The Kiwi ears Forteza:
DSC_1106.jpegdone.jpeg
DSC_1107.jpegs.jpeg
DSC_1121.jpegsw.jpeg
DSC_1143.jpegw.jpeg
DSC_1144.jpegs1.jpeg

DSC_1105.jpegone .jpeg

First impressions December 31, 2023
The shape and fit are fantastic. While big sounding and complete sounding they are out-of-the-box a little brittle toned? Where deep bass is present, there is a slight noticeable shallowness of steeliness of sorts, maybe call it lacking a portion of note-weight in the response? Really it's not bad, nothing is bad about the response, it's just not ground breaking or anything?

Still maybe I just need to take time with them, as Kiwi ears has not released a bad IEM in my book, at least everything I have heard, and I have heard all but except the original Orchestra and the Cadenza? I mean this sounds pretty good considering its price point, plus it is one of the most beautiful IEMs I have seen all year......looking way more expensive that its price point would have you guess. Part of first impressions is to not count on a single source to come-up with your findings......and switching sources this tone is still there? Of course this fullness of note-weight could turn around with burn-it......so it is too early to say for sure?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #92,036 of 106,710

The Kiwi ears Forteza:

The shape and fit are fantastic. While big sounding and complete sounding they are out-of-the-box a little brittle toned? Where deep bass is present, there is a slight noticeable shallowness of steeliness of sorts, maybe call it lacking a portion of note-weight in the response? Really it's not bad, nothing is bad about the response, it's just not ground breaking or anything?

Still maybe I just need to take time with them, as Kiwi ears has not released a bad IEM in my book, at least everything I have heard, and I have heard all but except the original Orchestra and the Cadenza? I mean this sounds pretty good considering its price point, plus it is one of the most beautiful IEMs I have seen all year......looking way more expensive that its price point would have you guess. Part of first impressions is to not count on a single source to come-up with your findings......and switching sources this tone is still there? Of course this fullness of note-weight could turn around with burn-it......so it is too early to say for sure?
Yep, I just quoted my previous post. I am always looking for a way in....a way into success.....and I did try some regular bore tips and found about 90% of the note-weight thinning went away. :) There is a thing about first impressions, that if you hear a character trait before, you will still key-in on it, even after it has been remedied.

There is a fine line between clarity of tone and muddiness....stage is also still very big? So now the tone is very much better, still I need to do burn-in and rotation of a few cables?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #92,037 of 106,710

The Kiwi ears Forteza:

Your impressions are the same I had with my Forteza. I am left thinking, will this one get better over time... ?

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #92,038 of 106,710
Your impressions are the same I had with my Forteza. I am left thinking, will this one get better over time... ?
Yes, that is good to hear. I mean that is what Head-Fi is for, people to compare first impressions. Though putting regular bore tips made a world of difference. I simply have to remember I can’t always use my favorite ear-tips.....even though I want to. Also cable changes can work wonders. I even now have a cable that is a mystery being it will never be produced like it is for sale in the world, except it many times will remedy this tone issue, it simply smooths stuff out, so I may need to try it. Still it is $59.00 IEM in the end, so?

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #92,039 of 106,710
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #92,040 of 106,710

The Kiwi ears Forteza:
DSC_1106.jpegdone.jpegDSC_1107.jpegs.jpegDSC_1121.jpegsw.jpegDSC_1143.jpegw.jpegDSC_1144.jpegs1.jpeg

DSC_1105.jpegone .jpeg

Such pretty earpieces. Are they hollow or filled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back