The discovery thread!
Apr 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #9,091 of 106,736
Quote:
You're assuming that every device that supports otg audio works with each USB DAC, which isn't correct. It's been stated many times that some android phones work with certain DACs without issues while others don't. There's even weird stuff like the Note 2 and SGS3 reported by many not working with certain DAC but for instance the US version of S3 working with it (like Pico). It's just that android devices are very different from each other - custom drivers from the manufacturer, different implementation etc. That's why Hifimediy probably even bothered making a different version and stating that it should work with more devices.

If Hifiemdiy would know of any devices that the Tiny would work over the original, they would list them.
They just assume it may work with more devices due to lower power consumption.

I wonder how many times people thought the DAC wasn't working simply because they didn't press the "Volume Up" button.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #9,092 of 106,736
Quote:
If Hifiemdiy would know of any devices that the Tiny would work over the original, they would list them.

I wonder how many times people thought the DAC wasn't working simply because they didn't press the "Volume Up" button.

While it's been reported that some DAC work on some devices fine while other devices need outer power source to power the same DACs I think the developers of Tiny are mostly guessing just because there is a bunch of USB DACs using PCM2704 or something in that line. And small comapnies dealing with DIY stuff can't go buying all android devices and testing - that's what big companies to, which sell their portable DACs for 500 bucks later.
On another hand, I find it hilarious how you assume that you discovered the hot water and other people are just stupid and know nothing about otg cables or that they didn't press the volume button or sth else. Everyone who's trying whether a DAC works with his android device has probably plugged and unplugged the DAC a thousand times and tried every single thing that will ever come on your mind before stating that it either doesn't work or has issues (especially on head-fi or xda where everyone wants their DAC of choice to work). Do you honestly think that everyone just plugs the DAC doesn't see a pop-up and then says it doesn't work and that you are the obnly one who though of pressing a button after that? Are you serious?

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #9,093 of 106,736
Quote:
While it's been reported that some DAC work on some devices fine while other devices need outer power source to power the same DACs I think the developers of Tiny are mostly guessing just because there is a bunch of USB DACs using PCM2704 or something in that line. And small comapnies dealing with DIY stuff can't go buying all android devices and testing - that's what big companies to, which sell their portable DACs for 500 bucks later.
On another hand, I find it hilarious how you assume that you discovered the hot water and other people are just stupid and know nothing about otg cables or that they didn't press the volume button or sth else. Everyone who's trying whether a DAC works with his android device has probably plugged and unplugged the DAC a thousand times and tried every single thing that will ever come on your mind before stating that it either doesn't work or has issues (especially on head-fi or xda where everyone wants their DAC of choice to work). Do you honestly think that everyone just plugs the DAC doesn't see a pop-up and then says it doesn't work and that you are the obnly one who though of pressing a button after that? Are you serious?

I myself thought that Hifimediy didn't work with HTC One X+, until I was told to press "Volume up".
Can happen to anyone.

What pop-up are you talking about? There is no popup, even on devices where Hifimediy doesn't work.

And why are you so aggressive? I never claimed I've discovered anything nor called anyone stupid.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #9,094 of 106,736
Quote:
I myself thought that Hifimediy didn't work with HTC One X+, until I was told to press "Volume up".
Can happen to anyone.

What pop-up are you talking about? There is no popup, even on devices where Hifimediy doesn't work.

And why are you so aggressive? I never claimed I've discovered anything nor called anyone stupid.

LOL Sorry if I sound aggressive - I am not. I just get irritated when people assume things - like you assuming that " a lot of people" don't know what an otg cable is or that every device has the same otg support. As far as the pop-up - I meant the pop-up in the notification bar that a usb device is connected coz on some devices when it doesn't work you get a pop-up notification that the usb device has been disabled or a triangle with exclamation mark and notification about charging

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #9,095 of 106,736
Quote:

These "lots of people" need to learn what an OTG cable is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321051411863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Works for me with HTC Onex X+

Quote:

Hifimediy works on HTC One X+ with any application I ever tried - Jetaudio, Google Music, UberHype, Tunein etc.
If a cellphone supports being an USB host to an audio device, hifimediy should work fine with it.
If a cellphone doesn't support USB host functionality, very few DACs will work with it.
Complexity of USB receiver is really irrelevant here.

There is a small trick - after connecting the hifimediy, click the "volume up" button to make the music appear.

Quote:

just because a phone can do usb host mode doesnt mean it can work with a dac.  It's a little more complicated than that; there is a HUGE thread on it here on head-fi.  

"lots of these people"  aren't stupid.  It simply doesnt work work with all devices.  S3 and Note 2 seem to have great support for dacs because the code for usb audio was written by samsung and not google.  Even the not so old galaxy s2 which has usb support can't use ANY dac.  Some have even resorted to using an app "usb audio recorder pro" because they wrote a usb audio code from the ground up... and it only works with that app and nothing else on that phone.  

Get off your high horse; you're no smarter than anyone else here.  

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #9,096 of 106,736
Quote:
LOL Sorry if I sound aggressive - I am not. I just get irritated when people assume things - like you assuming that " a lot of people" don't know what an otg cable is or that every device has the same otg support. As far as the pop-up - I meant the pop-up in the notification bar that a usb device is connected coz on some devices when it doesn't work you get a pop-up notification that the usb device has been disabled or a triangle with exclamation mark and notification about charging

i get what you're saying.  He sounded condescending.  He's like that irritating kid that always tries to correct people.  

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #9,097 of 106,736
Quote:

There is a reason why I pointed to the OTG cable with power supply:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321051411863?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The power connection is required to provide power to Hifimediy DAC.
People that are using this OTG cable:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-USB-2-0-A-Female-to-Micro-B-Male-Converter-OTG-Host-Extension-Adapter-Cable-/221205356905?pt=US_Server_Power_Supplies&hash=item3380dde169

are about to be disappointed. It's mostly useful for DACs with built-in battery, e.g. FIIO E17, and even then you must turn off the USB charging feature on FIIO E17 before using it.

I'm sure that plenty of people tried using the wrong cable.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #9,099 of 106,736
How big are the HM5 pads in comparison to the DT770 Pro pads? I can see the HM5 pads are really thick but what's the diameter like inside? Also, since you have to put the HM5 pads over the stock ones, can't you feel the stock pads underneath?

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #9,100 of 106,736
Apr 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #9,101 of 106,736
Quote:
How big are the HM5 pads in comparison to the DT770 Pro pads? I can see the HM5 pads are really thick but what's the diameter like inside? Also, since you have to put the HM5 pads over the stock ones, can't you feel the stock pads underneath?

Can't compare them to DT770, but HM5 are as big as they get. They are also more elliptic, resulting in a better fit.
You can't feel the stock pads underneath.You can't feel HM5 pads either
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #9,103 of 106,736
If you're ok with the treble of the CKN70, then no need.  I haven't listened to the CKN70 in awhile but I assume it's an upgrade in the sound department.  

The highs were a little much when I first heard them. I've gotten used to the sound, but they are getting smoother every day. I don't know how you can not listen to them xD

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #9,104 of 106,736
Nice another good one to add to the collection..I am thinking these are a good alternative from the X3X, CKS77 and the XB90s. In that realm perhaps? Maybe even better. I look forward to hearing them for certain.

I'm thinking about getting the DX200-CT model. It seems to be a dynamic micro driver.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #9,105 of 106,736
Quote:
The highs were a little much when I first heard them. I've gotten used to the sound, but they are getting smoother every day. I don't know how you can not listen to them xD

I've burned them in for over 400 hours and it's still a little too piercing for me.  I guess I'm ultra sensitive in that treble peak area.  Rest of the sound is fantastic though.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back