The discovery thread!
Jul 5, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #82,441 of 103,864
Can you please recommend a nice case for-
IEM+ Cable and a small Qudelix 5k
* bonus if it is from Chaina/Aliexpress
I have this one and I'm happy with it. It's easy to removed the branding as the logo and letters simply peal off. Size:12.5cm(L) x 9.5cm(W) x 5cm(H)

https://penonaudio.com/accessories/earphone-case/penon-pu-iem-case.html

Penon PU-Case 1.jpg
Penon PU-Case 2.jpg

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #82,443 of 103,864
Yeah and he already has S12 and Variations and I really can't think of any IEM that isn't endgame that's going to blow those away in terms of resolution 🤷
It could be that i just dont know what good sound stage or resolution is. Im just starting to learn these new terms and angles. I can hear that variations is really good, but i cant pin point why. I think its separation and the fact that low deep bass dont muddy the rest of sound.

Thats why i wanted to try a iem known for resolution and wide soundstage. I think i will give a all BA iem a chance when i can afford it :D

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #82,444 of 103,864
Can you please recommend a nice case for-
IEM+ Cable and a small Qudelix 5k
* bonus if it is from Chaina/Aliexpress

Buy any XINHS cable and they throw in a nice case as packaging when they ship it to you. Separate case and shipping costs about the same as one of their cheap cables during sales. They will also send multiple cables in the same case sometimes, so if your short on cases, order cables separately. Price on cases was glitched on AE recently so do check. Case will hold 2 sets of IEMs ( 120mmx90mmx40mm ). :L3000:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004646256680.html

S56fd689ea36f44d68275c58771c85b60X.jpg

S9b2490c99c1c4ad8ad68f7cbdd442fabm.jpg

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #82,445 of 103,864
Thank you...
I do have Sonata HD pro..E44..Link2bal and Ovidius B1...however none beats AP90 on Neutron player switching on 64bit processing and pcm to dsd (all to dsd) option. Its funny but E44 and l2b stutters when this option turned on..ap90 works like a charm only with this options turned on however it runs bit hot. I am planning for dc04 pro on 11.11 or even fc6.

https://neutroncode.com/feature_all-to-dsd
That is great to know, thank you.
That can make AP90 more useful and unique. AKM4393 operation surely requires power: 150 mA, 2.5 times more than E44.

On another note I could not resist AP20, even if can be just AP10 with a decent 770 mA battery, but then only for $10 more.

Lastly, I finally got my Fiio FD11 - incredibly nothing to be impressed from the accessories to the build, to the " proprietary" cable, and then to the sound of $20 IEM. The only "notable" feature is, perhaps, the counterfeit sticker - someone had to be totally nuts to possibly think of counterfeiting it, while QKZ could do a better IEM at half price but why would QKZ bother...
I feel Fiio is getting into Shure IEM reputation....

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #82,446 of 103,864
Lastly, I finally got my Fiio FD11 - incredibly nothing to be impressed from the accessories to the build and to the sound (other than, perhaps, the counterfeit sticker - someone had to be totally nuts to possibly think of counterfeiting it, while QKZ could do a better IEM at half price but why would QKZ bother...).
You mean the $29.99, FD11 doesn’t play like a $50 unit ?
😲

Jul 5, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #82,447 of 103,864
I already own Letshour z12. Cant say i have noticed anything different, maybe my hearing isnt that subtle? any 6-7ba + DD that stand out in your opinion?
You have yourself a nice collection.
P8 I believe refers to Aful performer 8.
I had the Tangzu Wu Zetian, returned it, didn't out perform a hybrid 1 DD 1 BA set I have.
You enjoy FH3 more than Variations?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #82,448 of 103,864
You mean the $29.99, FD11 doesn’t play like a $50 unit ?
😲
To me, it does not play much above $20 compared to the competition - I like Hola much more. D Hi-Fi is also more fun to me and the built of Fiio is appaling with the poorly joint seams, scratchy. Accessories is on the level of KZ two years ago.
I only got my unit because I was "lucky" first 50. But then I was totally out of luck with deplorable NL post shipping of almost two months.
I thought to put a short review, but it is not worth my time.

The only way I can see people buying such IEMs is for the "name game", similar to Shure, but then out of $35 retail - about half may be for the name (and the free samples for the praising reviewers).

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #82,450 of 103,864
I have the Aful P8. I have noticed a number of iems between $150 and $750 mentioned as unique and worthy. If I could buy one to compliment the P8 what would you recommend. (The 41T closest to the $150.)
I personally EQ the P8. Push the entire bass up 3dB, pull down the 1kHz by 1.5dB. It’s more fun and the stage opens up as the midrange is pulled away from the head. Still no MEST III though, so keep your hope in check :dt880smile:

If you want to complement the P8, I recommend grabbing something that goes for obvious coloured sound. The “neutral-with-bass-boost”/U-shaped game is pretty much covered. Unfortunately I don’t have any good coloured IEM that I can recommend in your price range. You wouldn’t happen to have a mountain of cash laying around for a VE Phonix, aren’t you

Maybe a secondhand Andro 2020?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #82,451 of 103,864
I personally EQ the P8. Push the entire bass up 3dB, pull down the 1kHz by 1.5dB. It’s more fun and the stage opens up as the midrange is pulled away from the head. Still no MEST III though, so keep your hope in check :dt880smile:

If you want to complement the P8, I recommend grabbing something that goes for obvious coloured sound. The “neutral-with-bass-boost”/U-shaped game is pretty much covered. Unfortunately I don’t have any good coloured IEM that I can recommend in your price range. You wouldn’t happen to have a mountain of cash laying around for a VE Phonix, aren’t you

Maybe a secondhand Andro 2020?
Just tried your EQ on Roon on my desktop on my P8 listening to techno,:) yah, amazing how that soundstage upons up a little, very nice. Now the P8 has quality AND quantity in the bass... :)

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #82,454 of 103,864
You have yourself a nice collection.
P8 I believe refers to Aful performer 8.
I had the Tangzu Wu Zetian, returned it, didn't out perform a hybrid 1 DD 1 BA set I have.
You enjoy FH3 more than Variations?
Thank you. I do like FH3 more, even tho i can hear that variations is "better" and more refined. Its something special with FH3. i first thought it was bass, so bought ikko oh10 but it isnt bass. I just cant describe what it is. For Electronic music, i just love FH3.

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #82,455 of 103,864
My goal is to tune Butastur to compete with Neon Pro with a lower offering, thus to break a new ground of true highly technical IEM at an affordable price, not for 1% of rich people, but for rest of us.
Wow that's awesome! 👍👍 Hoping you are able to reach your goal! 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back