The discovery thread!
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #77,822 of 102,941
KBEAR new 1DD: Looks like Moondrop S8, full-resin, flat bass, and wide and open staging.
Sure hope these are better than their latest 1DD offering; the Xuanwu. I got my pair in last Friday and man are these pretty.

20230430_222748~2.jpg

I had decent hopes for this one, as long as it could match the KS1 I would have been happy and if it could match it's looks even better.
But sadly it has som big issues in the tuning. While the bass is actually quite good with a nice punch to it and the soundstage width is impressive for a €33,- IEM. Those are the only good points along with the build. The mids are so far recessed that they sound hollow and the treble is hit or miss. At times it has a nice ring to a cymbal and at other times is sounds so off I can't stand it. Guess it has to do with the frequency a cymbal has on the recording whether or not it gets butchered.

I had to tip roll to get it to sound listenable. Wide bore tips like the TRI Clarion to improve the treble response just made things worse and narrow bore just makes the bass boomy. It's currently got some BGVP A07/Kbear07 style tips which do improve tings but even then it's not exactly good. I'll give them a few more hours to see if they improve but I doubt it.

Long story short, the Kbear Xuanwu is no good.
Which is doesn't line up with my experiences with other Kbear IEM's as they normally get the tonality right. The cheaper KS1 beats it easily and Aurora absolutely butchers the Xuanwu in every aspect, but then again the Aurora is 6x the price. Even the Robin, which has it's own flaws, has significantly better tonality and coherency while being a 1DD+4BA hybrid.

Apr 30, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #77,824 of 102,941
Do you recognize these tips ? I got them with some iems and don't know the brand but would like to buy extra pair as with Neon Pro it fits the best

What size tips are they? Internal diameter of nozzle, length and widest diameter on umbrella. That will help, since the colour coding for size will help with manufacturer. That prominent lip, profile and casting mark on side would be consistent with KBEAR 07 (or any of the myriad clones of that pattern) for a medium size tip.:L3000:

Edit: duh, looking back I see you found it! :thinking:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #77,826 of 102,941
Sure hope these are better than their latest 1DD offering; the Xuanwu. I got my pair in last Friday and man are these pretty.

20230430_222748~2.jpg
I had decent hopes for this one, as long as it could match the KS1 I would have been happy and if it could match it's looks even better.
But sadly it has som big issues in the tuning. While the bass is actually quite good with a nice punch to it and the soundstage width is impressive for a €33,- IEM. Those are the only good points along with the build. The mids are so far recessed that they sound hollow and the treble is hit or miss. At times it has a nice ring to a cymbal and at other times is sounds so off I can't stand it. Guess it has to do with the frequency a cymbal has on the recording whether or not it gets butchered.

I had to tip roll to get it to sound listenable. Wide bore tips like the TRI Clarion to improve the treble response just made things worse and narrow bore just makes the bass boomy. It's currently got some BGVP A07/Kbear07 style tips which do improve tings but even then it's not exactly good. I'll give them a few more hours to see if they improve but I doubt it.

Long story short, the Kbear Xuanwu is no good.
Which is doesn't line up with my experiences with other Kbear IEM's as they normally get the tonality right. The cheaper KS1 beats it easily and Aurora absolutely butchers the Xuanwu in every aspect, but then again the Aurora is 6x the price. Even the Robin, which has it's own flaws, has significantly better tonality and coherency while being a 1DD+4BA hybrid.
Such a waste of good iem shell design then.

Apr 30, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #77,828 of 102,941
Hmm has anyone guessed or has it been confirmed that project red is B3 Dusk? Because he sure seems to be putting in a lot of effort into it... 🤐🤫
To my understanding it's most likely a 2DD setup. So I assume he's going for something no more expensive than the 7Hz Legato.

But also to my understanding a retune of the Blessing 3 is in the works as well.

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #77,829 of 102,941

Akros comparison of XSL X-One vs Tipsy TTROMSO vs Reecho SG03s vs Hakugei SEAELF​

Wow he really tries every IEMs he sees on Aliexpress 😳😳😳

Apr 30, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #77,830 of 102,941
Hifri have been hyping this one few weeks ago,
him being more of a Driver reviewer (and iem DIYer) should have good grasp on what he is talking about.

Ok….I’m in.

From multiple trustable sources that suggest XLS X-one, I‘m pretty confident to chip in✌️

Ordered one.

May 1, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #77,831 of 102,941
I spotted a while ago that there's also an XLS X-Zero (BE + CNT)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005381226283.html

The graphs of both look a bit too hot in the upper mids for my tastes, so decided to pass.
Interested to hear what peoples thoughts are once they have listened to them

May 1, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #77,832 of 102,941

Akros comparison of XSL X-One vs Tipsy TTROMSO vs Reecho SG03s vs Hakugei SEAELF​

Nice to see the Tipsy get some limelight.

May 1, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #77,833 of 102,941

The only other reaction to it on YouTube has been Crin giving it 2/5 when doing his $9,000 bag of IEMs video. AQ4 he gave 5/5 however, which surprised me.

I'd, have expected a more favorable reaction from HBB or Vortex, for such an unashamedly warm tuning. Glad Tony liked it! :ksc75smile:

May 1, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #77,834 of 102,941
At work, so can't watch video. what was his take on x-One vs Tipsy (which I own)?
More upper mids on x-One and less mid bass?

May 1, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #77,835 of 102,941
At work, so can't watch video. what was his take on x-One vs Tipsy (which I own)?
More upper mids on x-One and less mid bass?
SIE and TTROMSO came out on top with Reecho SG-01 for budget option. Sea Elf Darkest followed by X-One. X-One graphed with less upper-mid and treble energy than TTROMSO.

TL DR; I'm happy sticking with TTROMSO! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back